Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Just staring this up as I have a vested interest - off to Gressoney on Boxing day

Starting to look good

http://www.monterosa-ski.com/multimedia/altre-webcam/?lang=en
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From last Sunday, generally good coverage, biased towards the West - Alagna rather windblown. Some nice little powder pockets off the Col. Most things open.

And... wonders will never cease... for the observant amongst you might notice they've actually added a whole new piste!!

Annoyingly destroying the best bumps pitch in the area.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for starting the thread and thanks for the pics. We're headed to Alagna Jan 7-19 for the 4th time. Great place, great people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off to Gressoney for the first time in Mid Jan. Will be keeping a keen eye on this thread. Been on my list of resorts/areas to go to for a while so looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Off to Champoluc on Saturday, looks good
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, Dam, fancied ago at that when we go back this year, my son did it last winter.

Shame I won't be forced to do it. wink

http://youtube.com/v/l9aUkeK3r6o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl9aUkeK3r6o

cham08, and Spyderman, keep us posted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some more snow would be nice please

Thanks for the pics !

Getting twitchy now; can't wait
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dsoutar, here's the wiggly for Gressoney

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&ext=1&run=0&lat=45.50&lon=7.5&runpara=0&type=0

Starting to see some weather activity for about then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Massive dump (road into Gressoney was closed due to avalanche potential) on 26th Dec. Everything open but off-piste fairly tracked out now. Piste still in very good nick. A bit crowded in some pinch points but quietening down. Excellent weather, cold but clear for the last 4 days apart from a little top up of snow on 29th overnight.

Will post full TR in appropriate section in due course
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the thread I thought we had...

Lovely two days yesterday and today. Snow holding up very well.

Finally!! managed to go up new Punta Indren lift. Suitably impressed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After the meter of snow on Boxing Day, (tree sking in Juliana) followed by another 20 on the following Friday then blue bird this week it is snowing again today. Christmas cruisers are finally moving down the valley, with 50 forecast over weekend to cover this weeks tracks life is good in gressoney.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yesterday afternoon below Punta Indren. Snowing quite heavily this morning.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
6 weeks to go and counting. Back to the squirrel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, great pic.

Off to Gressoney in half term, then Champoluc in March, looks like we chose it right.

When are you there again??

What's the new "timed" Pian de la Sal, how does that work??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bruisedskier, we may wander over in Feb to avoid the French chaos. Depends on work, snow, etc.

I suspect, as it's not fully set up, that it's simply a set of speed gates with a course set up, described as pista de chrono. Much like the ESF used to do with "Ski Open". Irritatingly, the slope had lovely bumps on it on Tuesday, all groomed away overnight. Sad
snow report
Hi Guys, anyone in Gressoney/Alagna at the moment? What are the conditions like? Bit worried about the Avalanche Risk particularly. I'm arriving tomorrow hoping to get a guide for a day or two (or three!) There are two of us, would love to meet up with other snow heads to share the costs.
snow conditions
TGH79, we're back in Cham but it looks like promised dump is happening. Happy
ski holidays
thanks @under a new name good to hear!
latest report
TGH79 Please let us know what it is like out there. I go on the 10th. Thanks.
snow report
Feast, ever come across the app Snowfinder?
you'll be glad you're going to Monte Rosa next week!

BTW......................... I'm in Champoluc from 12th Jan.................. Piste/OP looking great!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 9-01-14 17:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Feast,

the obvious off piste very tracked, you will have to hike to get powder, but it is there. The higher areas are quite wind blown with hard slab in places. If you are heli-skiing, the Alagna drop points are opening today. This is good news as the higher snow is not as wind affected as in Champoluc and Gressoney. The pistes are in great condition all the way to Champoluc, Gressoney and Alagna and there are very few people on them (outside of the weekend period) It looked like work had started on the fun parks but they won't be open any time soon.
latest report
Sunshine morning. Pistes virtually empty. No lift queues. Piste conditions rather good with hard packed snow and some soft stuff still on piste edges. Off piste looks variable depending on where you are but quite tracked out on the obvious and accessable. Skied Champoluc, Gressoney, (the piste "nera"from Bettaforca into Gressoney was excellent), and up to Passo dei Salati, which was prolly the best snow. Most pistes were empty, often skiing with no more than 3 or 4 other skiers. Nice skiing back into Frachey, top section of Champoluc, then late lunch at Rascard Le Frantze, which was lovely and quiet. Skied Bosco a couple of times only because lovely fast run, even though a tad short.
It is snowing now, clouds started to come in mid afternoon, making the light a bit flat, so finished just after 4pm.

Will do a TR about the Hostellerie de Mascognaz where we are based upon return. www.hostelleriedemasognaz.com
latest report
Thinking of heading to Gressoney Feb 9th-16th, primarily for piste skiing. How are the pistes holding up there? and how busy can I expect it to be?
latest report
Becstar,

http://www.monterosa-ski.com/multimedia/altre-webcam/?lang=en
snow conditions
Becstar, probably less busy than anywhere in France for half term.

"Are the pistes ""holding up"" " ?

It's not usual but North Western Italy has been getting absolutely pasted everytime it's snowed.

I'd be more worried about parking/snow tunnels collapsing on my head as I walk to the bar/winter tyres/freezing diesel/ - all the things that one really wants to have to worry about.

No promises mind, but given current conditions the pistes will be "holding up" just fine. snowHead snowHead

PS why Gressoney?
snow conditions
Becstar, J2ski says 11cm today and 23cm on 17th. So maybe just holding up.

They also report a base of 70-200.

Leave some for us though we'll be there the week after.

under a new name, are you in Champoluc for half term ?
latest report
I thought half term was the week after - i was trying to avoid all French/UK/Italian holidays!!

I was looking at Gressoney as can get a package deal flying from Bournemouth and not have the hassle of travelling to airports and had also heard they had had good snow this year. We spent christmas in St Anton which was fun, but the pistes were looking a bit bare with brown patches and stones scattered around also quite hard and icy in places. Hence why I ask how the pistes are looking as if we decide to go away again we'd like to try and find some nice snow and not have to worry about ruining our skis!
ski holidays
Becstar, Our half term is 17-21, when we'll be there, so yes the week after.

Were there last year in Gressoney loved it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bruisedskier, We don't really know where we'll be Happy - If the French crowds are intolerable we might well nip across the border.

Becstar, I'm wrong - so you're fine. It'll be probably mostly quiet other than at the weekends. Ugh the week of the 15th though, UK and the start of the French V.S. Gressoney is looking more and more intriguing as they build/open more hotels and bars. It's not exactly going to be swinging nightlife, but you'll be able to get a drink.
ski holidays
Becstar, snow is pretty good with 6 to 8 inches of fresh snow overnight. However there was a lot of cloud so skied mainly champoluc up to bellaforca today in variable visibility. Great piste conditions if a little heavy on the resort runs early on, but once skied in the pistes were damn good in the late afternoon, and the sun came out. Had lunch at Rascard Frantze (again) only because mrs skimastaaah wanted the mountain salad as a light lunch.

As regards the pistes generally, some great work obviously has been done on getting the pistes and the base depths prepared. More snow forecast for later this week, sunshine predicted for tomorrow, looking forward to another day on empty pistes, no queues, good snow. Btw... the OP looks refreshed, but I reckon needs a tad more.
ski holidays
Will be in Staffal, Gressoney on Sunday 19th Jan, hope to post a few photos over the week, snow reports looking good.
snow conditions
I'm very jealous of you all. Christmas week seems a long time ago now Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
skimastaaah, would you mind lunching at the hotel Cré Forne please as I'd like a review. It looks promising...

Ta.
ski holidays
skimastaaah, also, and not wanting in any way to suggest any disloyalty to Franco and Le Sapin (the best steak restaurant in the world) but if you found yourself weather locked in Champoluc for lunch and fancied something different, Andrea at l'Essential does a really rather fine luncheon...
latest report
We will be sampling the delights of the three valleys, Champoluc, Gressoney and Alagna over the 7 days, but thanks for the tip about Andrea '.
snow conditions
under a new name, As it just so happens we ate there today! Mrs skimastaaah was impressed by the panoramic wrap around floor to ceiling add on to the original building. Quite contemporary styled restaurant, very chi-chi, but we ate outside as it was lovely sunshine all day today. Very attentive and welcoming even though we only shared a plate of salami/meats/cheeses with wine. Quite pricey for what you got, however good quality, pleasant service, wonderful views/location. The menu was varied local mountain dishes with nice touches, opinion..... quite lovely.

btw..... great days skiing, blue skies, fresh packed snow, quiet pistes in all areas, Champoluc, Gressoney, and Alanga. Perfect!
snow conditions
skimastaaah, i thought you were talking about l'essential there, most confused. Yep, can imagine it's a little pricey. Nice wine list though. Glad you liked it Happy
snow conditions
under a new name, Each of the choices on the menu at Cre Forne has a reccommended wine to go with it. What a wine list though. Take 2/3 credit cards and max them out on a "buonogustaio" ski hols.

We're back home now after flying from Turin yesterday evening. As regards the snow, anyone going there right now is due for another decent dump on top of some very well prepared pistes. Still lots of snow-making to really bed-in the main pistes (prolly due to -11 the other night!), and the foresight to let one or two shortish pistes (Ostafa 2) go unbashed letting some bumps develop.

BTW..... Hostellerie de Mascognaz....................... wonderful, simply lovely.
ski holidays
Any update on conditions? Heading there Feb 6th
snow report
a2thak, Seconded, any update on Gressoney ??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy