Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst piste (following on from least favourite resort)?

Poster: A snowHead
thecramps wrote:
...Maybe it was just my experience there, icy, mogully and very busy.

Take a tip from an old school snowboarder: ride moguls when in condition. Out of condition, leave them for the beginners, who will sideslip them anyway.

Any run is going to be terrible when it's not in condition. Snowboards have a wider range of tolerance (I'm happy when you lot are having trouble with the slop), but even so you need to work out what's good and when.

Worst run? Something called "How Flat It Is", in waist deep powder. I remember about a mile of traversing on my snowboard behind a guide making tracks across the flats. That was in the days when guides used to try to "work over" snowboarders - he picked it just for me. I'm a racing cyclist, so I sucked his wheel the whole way, and made sure he didn't see me breathing hard. At the end of the flats... we picked up and went somewhere else.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh right, that must be it. I don't like celery, does that mean I'm not eating it right? And obviously my ears are doing it wrong as I don't like Bob Dylan. And as for Woody Allen....................

Seriously mate, I just don't enjoy moguls, they hurt my left knee, but not because I'm doing it wrong, but as a legacy of a motorcycle accident, but if I come across them, or when my GF wants to ski them, I do and I can.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure of the name, but it's a blue between Les Crossets and Avoriaz. It looks like a brilliant run on the piste map but all you do for the last 1/2 of the run is pole the whole way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks philwig, that's what we tend to do. We also try to avoid crowds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adithorp wrote:
Ours into Motteret. Come back late from VT as the lifts close and there's no alternative. Only good bit is straight-lining the few downhill bits in the hope of saving some poling. Complete nightmare for beginners though.

Yup, rule no 1 when in 3V don't use this run, done it 2 - 3 times and always end up cheesed / knackered from the poling!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, "Retour Chavanette" ? Actually vaguely recall "Abricotine" being a bit long and flat somewhere. Not skied there for a loooong time, so may be somewhere else. But that run from there all the way down to Morzine is fun on a bike.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Jerusalem ... much better when I have it all to myself ... hopefully this post will help

+1 Should be avoided (by everyone else) at all costs.

Crikey! You two can have it all to yourselves.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tordi wrote:
Quote:

Santons in Val D'Isere!

+1

Santon, or more affectionately known as the 'tube of death', is probably the most unbearable piste I've ever had the misfortune of skiing. It's an icy hell hole littered with terrified beginners.

Tube of death indeed! This gets my vote, and also because it felt like it went on forever, and then when it's finally over you get... A flat shuffle into town.

andy, re Selva, I know exactly which bit you mean, but at least it's picturesque and short. I stopped (I know...) to take a picture, only to drop my camera case over the edge into the trees and then had to wade through 4ft of powder to retrieve it! Mr S was then found shuffling against the flow of skiers to retrieve me, because he thought I must've had an accident to take so long rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there should also be an honourable mention for any of the home runs at Ischgl, particularly after the point where they all merge into one icy death slide to the bottom. I had so much fun trying not to lose control of my limbs, that I failed to notice my buddies had all taken the exit stage left about half way down, leaving me to navigate back to the pedestrian lift to join them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

one icy death slide to the bottom

Fun isn't it Toofy Grin That last bits called the Prennerhang. I'd agree that they can be a bit of a nightmare late afternoon, very busy, variable conditions, icy one minute, soft the next, too many inexperienced skiers but in the morning when everyone else is going up and you're coming down they're fantastic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steissbachtal (aka Happy Valley) at 3:30pm. Much nicer to traverse into Bachseite and drop off opposite the Mattun exit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Happy Valley) at 3:30pm

Ugh, a combination of that and feeling rather ill at the time (shouldn't really have been skiing at all) nearly finished me off! Skullie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Happy Valley's favour: it is comical seeing so many people strewn out on snow, and you will always witness some actual live collisions. But seriously that piste is a real problem.

From our hotel jacuzzi in St Anton, we could see skiers leaving the (?Krazy Kangaruh). It was comical how many had bad falls, and apalling how fellow skiers skied right past ones who seemed either seriously hurt or pissed off their brains
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Tordi"]
Quote:

Santon, or more affectionately known as the 'tube of death', is probably the most unbearable piste I've ever had the misfortune of skiing. It's an icy hell hole littered with terrified beginners.

Oh yes. I've done it once and have no intention of returning. The Face is no harder and presents far less chance of being taken out by another skier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thecramps wrote:
Also that stupid black that's not a black at all in ADH, the really long one.

The Sarenne? I liked it. It's a long, varied run into some wild country. Yeah there's some poling. Black, I think, because once you are on it you are committed to a long ski rather than inherent difficulty.
snow report
I am struggling with the concept of this thread, because apart from the odd experience of crappy weather/white out/crappy snow I would happily ski any piste that I have previously skied before . . . . over and over.

I just love being on ski's on a hill wherever that may be?

Am I odd?

We never needed to pole when we did The Sarrenne, perhaps conditions were better?

Edit for: I also didn't like the times when I spectacularly tumbled and either winded myself badly and my pride or tore my hamstring(twice!), but apart form that . . . . Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I am struggling with the concept of this thread, because apart from the odd experience of crappy weather/white out/crappy snow I would happily ski any piste that I have previously skied before

I'm odder, I'm happy including those too Smile Whiteouts are exciting Very Happy
snow report
I went down some enormous mogol field in Avoriaz once that was officially a red that was hell. Otehrwise it's really hard to say as a run may be amazing in good conditions but when it's slushy or cut up it can be hell on earth.
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Whitters wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:
Jerusalem ... much better when I have it all to myself ... hopefully this post will help

I went on this a couple of years ago, really looking forward to it after hearing all the plaudits on here. The snow in the three valleys was in excellent condition after lots of recent snow seemingly everywhere bar Jerusalem, where it was like skiing over a field of potatoes, with hard lumps of ice all over the run. The adjacent run (Pramint) was in fabulous condition.

So yeah, Jerusalem Smile

I agree, as earlier. You are obviously not fat with a spyder jacket.

I liked Jerusalem but agree that Pramints was something else. Unbelievable run.

Worst was Carline, running backuinto Tignes val claret. There's no way that should be a blue, but it's below the 'ski tranquil' so gets packed and mogulled up. Awful run in the slush of March.
snow conditions
For me it has got to be the Roc Mugnier piste in Courchevel 1650 - even after half a metre of fresh snow it was just icy and bumpy underneath! Avoid!
snow conditions
One more vote for Santons.
snow conditions
Quote:
Whiteouts are exciting Very Happy

It's all fun and games until a tree slides past Skullie
snow conditions
thecramps wrote:
Oh right, that must be it. I don't like celery, does that mean I'm not eating it right? And obviously my ears are doing it wrong as I don't like Bob Dylan. And as for Woody Allen....................

Laughing

I think it was a back handed "i'm better than you" wink
ski holidays
Not really a "worst" but in Champoussin/Morgins they named a new piste in honour of local boy Didier Defago - it is a black fading to red, north facing, with good variety of gradients and enough bends to make it interesting, and it is also usually deserted. First thing it is brilliant.

However the reason it is deserted, is that at the bottom it joins on to a very long flat blue that runs through the trees for what feels like about 4 km into Morgins itself - if it's cold and icy (it usually is, being in the bottom the valley where the sun doesn't shine) you can just about schuss it at 5mph if nobody gets in your way. If there is soft snow you can be looking at an awful lot of poling.

So Piste Didier Defago is simultaneously my best, and worst, piste in Champoussin Smile
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
I am struggling with the concept of this thread, because apart from the odd experience of crappy weather/white out/crappy snow I would happily ski any piste that I have previously skied before . . . . over and over.

I just love being on ski's on a hill wherever that may be?

Am I odd?

Not sure, I think most people are referring to pistes that are frequently unpleasant to ski, I doubt any piste is always unpleasant to ski.
The runs back to Ischgl quoted above are a classic example, when freshly prepared and quiet which they usually are till early afternoon they are long attractive interesting runs. Late afternoon they can become challenging and somewhat frightening as crowds of skiers come down frequently at speed and lacking control.
The challenge can be fun, but I would be lying if I said it was always enjoyable.
snow report
Santons.
End of.
Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
The rat-run down to Arc 1950 is also narrow and a pain in the a&%e. If you stop to let the people hoolying through pass, you risk being mown down at the edge by out of control beginners. Seems to be a favourite for Russian grannies to take their grandchildren on with sledges too...right at the narrowest part at the bottom.
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Whitters wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

I went on this a couple of years ago, really looking forward to it after hearing all the plaudits on here. The snow in the three valleys was in excellent condition after lots of recent snow seemingly everywhere bar Jerusalem, where it was like skiing over a field of potatoes, with hard lumps of ice all over the run. The adjacent run (Pramint) was in fabulous condition.

So yeah, Jerusalem Smile

I agree, as earlier. You are obviously not fat with a spyder jacket.

Have to say I do agree in the main. I wouldn't class it as a bad run, in fact it is quite nice but it could be the most overrated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the reds and all the blacks. The greens and blues are perfectly adequate for connecting the areas together, getting you across the flat bits, and providing enough skiing for lower-level skiers and cruisers to make the resorts viable. Any terrain which justifies a red or black run should be left the way nature intended, and not have pistes hogging the nicest lines and consuming grooming resources. People wanting to progress beyond the blue runs should make the effort to reach the required level, rather than having the mountain modified to boost their egos! wink
ski holidays
^

I'm not too sure nature intended mogul fields. Regarding your heart-felt plea for mountains to be left as nature intended, presumably you eschew all use of up-lift?
latest report
shep, yep.

I still also favour a return to straught skinny skis if you want to go off piste.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

+1 Should be avoided (by everyone else) at all costs.

Ditto wink
latest report
dogwatch, nature intended moguls, if only to separate the skiers from the spectators.
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
I actually like Tourmaline in Flaine, although it does seem to get a bit crowded near the bottom.

Tourmaline 09.00hrs = divine

Tourmaline after 10.00hrs Twisted Evil just because of the numbers going to and from rest of GM, particularly on the bendy bit
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
The last run home on the last day of your ski trip Sad
Yup that has to be the worst one, we always try and get the very last lift up to the highest spot and ski home, and it is so sad to kick off the skis.
Out from that the chin clip in stowe Vermont, it was after an ice storm and all the moguls were frozen solid and hard like eggs in a basket, It's lovely after a fresh snow, but the hard packed ice made it less fun. ( now I know why there were only about five of us on it)
snow report
Have read this thread and a few others along the same lines of RUN, RESORT etc, TBH even skiing uphill is better than no snow!. Little Angel

but if pushed I would have to agree on Santons... Took me back a few decades since I was last in Val, and I remember it as a great long leg burning ski followed by an even longer leg burning push..

I use to take the chair uphill from Santons (Grand Pee) do a wee off piste route around the back (avoiding some barbed wire) and grab the chair lift up onto the ridge above Val (Manchet Express) and ski back into Val avoiding the leg burner on much nicer piste.

As side has anyone ever skied 3000 or Tunnel in Val? Having been to Val 3 or 4 times but never seen the lift open Confused
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Steissbachtal (aka Happy Valley) at 3:30pm. Much nicer to traverse into Bachseite and drop off opposite the Mattun exit.

This, plus any other run which funnels a lot of people of differing abilities (and worse, differing impressions of their abilities, possibly augmented by drink) into narrow terrain. Not really fun to ski.
snow conditions
santons as wel!
and the last part of the home run into Les Gets, from many years ago, is it the section below the Yetti bar?
ski holidays
boredsurfin, blue run Gentian is the one that continues on past the Yeti. It's a fab blue but not when the world and his dog are going home. A few years back they created a red alternative under the Chavannes chair which is good though pretty icy.
snow report
The last 100m or so? Ie when you come off the flattish section, on to the slightly steeper end bit that opens up with the baby drag on the left (facing down) ?
Not really sure how or what puts that into the "worst piste" category. Bit worn out maybe.
Used to ski that red mainly. Often deserted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy