Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst piste (following on from least favourite resort)?

Poster: A snowHead
Dunno if this has been done before, as the resort thread had, but mine is definitely Tourmaline in Flaine.
I'd have felt better crawling across the M25 on a Friday afternoon..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Choucas - La Rosiere
The home run, often flat, crowded, hard packed and it crosses about 5 pistes and and a drag lift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tough one. So many that could go in there for unfortunate weather combined with homerun carnage.

For now, I'm going to say the really flat poling part to get to Cascades down in to Samoens/Sixt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That green back to resort in L2A, freefall down a black mogul field or bushwhacking is preferable if you ever find yourself on it.

Closely followed by the ice polish middle "channel" at Hemel after lots of fencing has restricted the slope late in the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last run home on the last day of your ski trip Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mines the Demoiselles in Les Deux Alpes. The worst piste with the most suicidal skiers, terrifying, and it's a green!! Puzzled

{Beaten by Fat Bob} Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seems to be a trend on 'easy pistes' so far...
The first time I skied the Tourmaline (wide long blue run, narrow and fairly steep in a couple of areas) it was mogulled out and crudded up at the end of the day. Second time was first thing, when everyone and his dog came up from the lower resorts and went down in kamikaze style. Refused to do again and took the bus back to the apartment for the rest of the week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vert in Val d'Isere - if we call it green and mark it green, maybe it will magically transform into a green run. Site of many a freak-out by terrified beginners
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are boring flat runs all over the place. My scariest experience to date was on an icy, mogully Tunnel in AdH.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Changing my mind to...
that path which you have to take to get from Selva to Campitello. Flat, you can get some speed up, but half way thru, you *will* be faced by a wall of boarders and n00bs in the way, causing you to lose all momentum and join the blockage.

trying to think of a steep lethal black boilerplate run, but struggling atm.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Someone surely has to give a shout for Santons in Val D'Isere! (Although I have actually had one run down with plenty of snow & no one else in sight which was ok) Generally horrendous and should be avoided at all costs, particularly just before lunch and at the end of the day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
worst pistes are quite subjective depending on whether you ski/board and the fashion in which you choose to do so and the conditions you are in.....

one mans trash and all that...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
those runs linking Rosiere and Thuile where you have to schuss for 8km or enjoy the prospect of poling the same distance if you stop
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jerusalem ... much better when I have it all to myself ... hopefully this post will help
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Jerusalem ... much better when I have it all to myself ... hopefully this post will help

+1 Should be avoided (by everyone else) at all costs.
snow report
The main drag through VT (I think it's Roc?). Full of chancers wobbling from pillar to post, going against the grain, uphill, sideways and any which way but sensible. Worse in the evening when Les Menuires-based people have been drinking at Folie Deuce and are trying to get home.
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
Someone surely has to give a shout for Santons in Val D'Isere!

By some distance, agreed. Nasty little run at any time of day IMO, but particularly bad when choked up with hundreds trying to get home. I'd rather take the Face than Santons every time.
snow report
Another vote for the Demoiselles green taking you back down to L2A, thats the one I tore my calf muscle on. Full of skiers who should still be on the valley greens, in places only just wide enough for those beginners to fit their snowplough in. The Valantin black fatbob mentions gets pretty hairy as well thanks to the steady stream of skiers and boarders on their backsides having either taken a wrong turn trying to join the procession down Demoiselles or being lulled into thinking it was an easy black by the first few 10s of metres before the lip where the slope drops away into steady steep bumpy ride! In fact the injury was as we were planning to do the first little bit of the green then pick up the black about 1/3 of the way down (below most of the carnage) to give Toastertalby her first go on a black.
snow report
Yes La Ros and many others where polling is required for long periods. The one in La Ros is annoying as it's narrow all you need is a couple of noobs to stop your momentum. There's also one in La Plange that has a rope tow when it breaks into a really long flat section, but at least it's wide. You really have go some to not end up with a long polling session.

Happy valley needs a mention, it's carnage especially sign it's warmer and chopped up. I find it highly entertaining as it always seems to be littered with fallen skiers. When it's like a blue it is certainly not!
snow conditions
Main run back into st sorlin d'arves did it for me. 2 piste bashers wide, cut out of the face with netting on one side cause of the drop. Marked as a blue on the piste map but absolute hell on earth at 3.30pm when it's the only run back down.
Would never take a first timer back there solely because of that reason.
snow report
Never, in twenty years (well, hardly ever), enjoyed the runs off the top of Mont Joly (St Gervais les Bains). Icy, lumpy, swept and cold (and steep).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 6-11-13 18:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I actually like Tourmaline in Flaine, although it does seem to get a bit crowded near the bottom. Any piste that's overpacked with people gets unpleasant, but the one that sticks in my mind from a few years ago was the Black from the Gamsleitenbahn II chair in Obertauern. At the time I was an intermediateand I'd only done a few blacks. From below it didn't look too bad. It was a nice sunny day so I thought I'd give it a go. By the time the rickety old two man chair had got me to the top it had clouded over to give totally flat light. The piste that looked smooth from below turned out to consist entirely of massive moguls. And it was a lot steeper than I expected. I got down it by doing long traverses from one side of the piste to the other. Falling over trying to turn, sliding down for a bit, then traversing back again. There weren't many folk on that piste while I was there and most of the other skiiers seemed to be using a similar "technique".

I wouldn't mind giving it another go sometime to see if I could ski it properly yet.
snow conditions
Jerusalem in the st Martin valley, always full of fat people in spyder jackets stopping every minute to look at their phone.

The run past la Ferme pub in Reberty gets quite icy late in the day, and a big crowd if you land on your rear.

Not keen on the flat run back to Arc 2000.
latest report
Quote:

Jerusalem in the st Martin valley, always full of fat people in spyder jackets stopping every minute to look at their phone.

Can't say I've noticed.
snow report
Quote:

Santons in Val D'Isere!

+1

Santon, or more affectionately known as the 'tube of death', is probably the most unbearable piste I've ever had the misfortune of skiing. It's an icy hell hole littered with terrified beginners.
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:
Someone surely has to give a shout for Santons in Val D'Isere! (Although I have actually had one run down with plenty of snow & no one else in sight which was ok) Generally horrendous and should be avoided at all costs, particularly just before lunch and at the end of the day.

haha, +1.

It's not the run itself, I reckon it's a laugh on your own and with no-one else about, it's just all the numpties slidingand turning randomly all over the place rather than using it as a giant halfpipe.

{edit} maybe i should read to the end of the thread before posting, should that be +2 or 3 by now.
latest report
I hate moguls, so anything mogully. Tunnel is just a stupid run, it's just no fun.
Also that stupid black that's not a black at all in ADH, the really long one.
snow report
My worst experience was on a horrible red in Valmorel - name escapes me at the moment. It comes down on the convex curve of the mountain, and it is the only option from a very slow, long,3 man lift, where I got colder than I ever remember being in my life before. On this day, the run was sheet ice. Vis was not good - but good enough to see that it was a long way to the bottom. I was half way down when a screaming man flew past me head first on his tummy, missing me by centimetres. I've never been so glad to get down anything, & it took a long lunch before I stopped shaking & vaguely warmed up again. My friend took 2 hours in a hot bath to warm through Skullie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, Shocked
ski holidays
thecramps, if you don't like moguls, you need more lessons...

That said, the black piste down from the top Grands Montets cable in May before it's melted from the overnight freeze and is just a field of lumpy ice leaves a certain soemthing to be desired.
ski holidays
Will lessons teach how to love them like proper skiers like what you are????

I can do them no problem, I just don't enjoy them.
snow report
DavidYacht wrote:

I went on this a couple of years ago, really looking forward to it after hearing all the plaudits on here. The snow in the three valleys was in excellent condition after lots of recent snow seemingly everywhere bar Jerusalem, where it was like skiing over a field of potatoes, with hard lumps of ice all over the run. The adjacent run (Pramint) was in fabulous condition.

So yeah, Jerusalem Smile
snow conditions
thecramps wrote:
I hate moguls, so anything mogully. Tunnel is just a stupid run, it's just no fun.
Also that stupid black that's not a black at all in ADH, the really long one.

the Sarenne is great! don't tell me you were expecting it to be a consistent 30 degrees for 16 km! Laughing
latest report
Glacier in Tignes in October before any snow. It was blue ice and the lumpy bits were mammoths.
ski holidays
At least 30 degrees, top to bottom.

Maybe it was just my experience there, icy, mogully and very busy.
latest report
Ours into Motteret. Come back late from VT as the lifts close and there's no alternative. Only good bit is straight-lining the few downhill bits in the hope of saving some poling. Complete nightmare for beginners though.
snow report
adithorp, absolutely .
snow report
Whitters wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

I went on this a couple of years ago, really looking forward to it after hearing all the plaudits on here. The snow in the three valleys was in excellent condition after lots of recent snow seemingly everywhere bar Jerusalem, where it was like skiing over a field of potatoes, with hard lumps of ice all over the run. The adjacent run (Pramint) was in fabulous condition.

So yeah, Jerusalem Smile

I agree, as earlier. You are obviously not fat with a spyder jacket.
ski holidays
thecramps, with a good instructor, yes,

And if you don't like them, you aren't skiing them properly Twisted Evil
snow conditions
The bi-directional traverse between Winter Park and Mary Jane. So much so that I've avoided skiing there for years!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy