Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a piste/freestyle ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

recently came across the stoeckli rotor 72
ski model, twin tip with 72mm waist. It corresponds exactly to what I want to do, mainly piste & carving, sometimes going to the Park. However, the model comes in 177cm max, and I mesure 189cm for 76kg so it might be a bit Small.

Can anyone recommend a twin tip ski with a narrow waist and good carving abilities similar to the rotor 72? If not, are there any piste skis are light enough for the occasional stop at the Park?

thanks!
Hi ozifest, welcome to snowheads! Personally don't know any twins that come that narrow now (not to say they don't exist out there tho!), but if you are just having the occasional run through the park and not hitting rails/spinning then I think anything under your feet will do the job to be honest. If you're hitting anything switch (after all the main reason to have a twin!) then I would steer away from a short radius piste ski. A lot of the burlier park skis do a half decent job on piste, they are just a bit wider than the Stoeckli's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply. I do want to spin and ski switch, I just want to be able to carve on my way to the park.. And I have skied with salomon streetracers so I'm not used to fat waists and floppiness! I just looked at the armada triumph, they looked good (more of an all mountain ski) what do you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a 173 Whitedot One for this. 89mm, so not as slim as you want, but a very efficient carving machine for some reason - and stiff for its length. I am 175cm and 80kg, so heavier than you, and the 173 works very well for me. The 180cm should work for you. It skis "slimmer" than 89mm, and is a great thing for tipping on its edges and railing around: stable at speed (with a 3 degree edge angle - they need it, and the factory tune is not great tbh), very playful in the park. Genuinely great in moguls, which really shocked me.

Weaknesses? Really not great at all off-piste - that mid-fat waist still doesn't deliver much flotation, and the tips like to sink in powder, making it tiring to use in anything worse than calf deep stuff. And pretty nasty on boilerplate ice - but I think that goes for most "all mountain" twin tips. Apart from that, I wholeheartedly recommend this ski.

Until this season, it has been my only ski. I spent a week in the park with them at the British Freeski camp, and 7 weeks' off skiing all conditions in them last season, in conditions ranging from US powder to end of season sludge in Chamonix. I am taking them with me this season - with a 112mm fat ski for big powder days; the latter will get far less use than the Ones. I use a Marker Jester Schizo binding, which is great for adjusting from piste to park, and has served me well last two seasons - reliable, no release issues, and have held up to a lot of abuse.

Given that Steven at www.rocnoir.co.uk is knocking out 2 year old ones (same season as mine, but obviously brand new) for 250 a pair...a lot of ski for the money. And some guy on ebay is doing Jester Schizo 16s at 200. That's a pretty strong price for a setup that is this good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You have to get over the silly topsheets, though. I like them, many do not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
K2 also did some twin versions of their piste skis a couple of seasons ago (Apaches of some description) maybe worth looking for these? Around 70mm waist. Rear tip is just a rise, but enough for the park and being allowed onto airbags in some resorts (Bormio), where they only allow twin tips.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ozifest, got a friend who is getting rid of a pair of Coreupt Lunatic skis for pretty cheap, they're 185cm and 83m underfoot. Never skied on them but can put you in touch if you want, they're mounted with marker squire schizo bindings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Ozifest, I personally wouldn't worry about going too wide, but then again it's all about perspective and I'm quite used to skiing kit that's long and fat. I've been testing a lot of new designs lately and it's really valuable to work out what you want and what works, I'd "personally" be looking at something a max of around 90mm-ish and wouldn't be scared of adding in *rocker* (see the PS below) to the mix as well as you are obviously not too shy of skiing on your edges! If you are serious about the park side of things I would also look for a ski with a balanced sidecut (ie not too much difference between tip/tail, say a max of 10mm-ish) and a decent height twin tip. Again this is just me from a personal perspective, take from it what you will.

PS as long as the sidecut extends to the tip/tail with not too much taper.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about some Storm Rage skis? e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STORM-Rage-FS-166cm-Skis-2012-Model-Performance-Twin-Tip-FreeStyle-Ski-NEW-/150747447705?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item23193f8199 (just the first listing I found, there may be cheaper ones, which are a cracking good bargain to say the least!) It's 84mm but certainly doesn't feel that wide on piste. It was marketed as a park ski but Andy David who owns Storm (they stopped producing last year hence the cheapness) told me when I bought mine from him it was his biggest seller as a one ski for everything ski. I don't do park skiing but t certainly does the job on and off piste on everything from early morning piste ice to the soft and deep off piste on a powder day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look at Nordica. I've only skied the Soul Riders (whcih are a bit wider than you want) but they have phenomenal edge grip for the width. Assuming they have the same quality core in their park skis, I don;t think you'd be disappointed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy