Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Austrian resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Clarky, good thread this, lots to think about, I'm flipping between Westendorf and Kaltenbach at the moment, irrelevant really because I'll be going every Jan for the forseeable future so its just a matter of which one I do first. Looks like a choice between a charming town (Westendorf) and an uncharming one with more skiing options in the area (Kaltenbach) as per the reviews online - can anyone who stayed in Kaltenbach say if its as unhomely as I'm reading, and / or recommend accomodation that's conveniently located and either has a wellness or is near to one that can be used?

Edit: Or has anyone stayed in Fugen or HochFugen, Fugen seems really cheap?
Double edit: Looks like the Fugen ski area isn't connected to the rest so you'd have to get a bus to Hochfugen or Kaltenbach
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8611 wrote:
Thanks Clarky, good thread this, lots to think about, I'm flipping between Westendorf and Kaltenbach at the moment, irrelevant really because I'll be going every Jan for the forseeable future so its just a matter of which one I do first.

Although I've posted on this thread about Kaltenbach I've also been a couple of times to Westendorf and would agree it's excellent, so I heartily concur with your intention to visit both in the future! Laughing

As regards Kaltenbach, I wouldn't say it's unhomely, it's just that Kaltenbach itself is a fairly small village with just a relatively few number of hotels, restaurants etc. As regards hotels with spa/wellness facilities, in Kaltenbach itself there's the Hotel Seetal and the Hotel Hochzillertal, as well as several others with just sauna facilities. I mentioned previously that I've stayed at the Hotel Alpina in the adjacent village of Ried (the free ski bus to the Kaltenbach gondola basestation stops outside), and you'll see that they have full wellness facilities also.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks alastair, I'm going to stop thinking about it now and just present options to the lads I'm going with and take a vote. Can't wait either way!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed in two. Hotel Fisserhoff, and Asters hotel. both are pretty good.
Asters is smaller more apartment based, on the opposite side of the village to the lifts. Pretty quiet as its out of the way.
The Fisserhoff has all the usual trappings of a 4 star Austrian hotel, its actually a fairly large hotel. And they run a minibus to the lifts in the morning (avoids the uphill walk). I'd happily use both again. Asters for peace and quiet, Fisserhoff with the family as it has all the facilities, including an outdoor pool, which is really Kuul.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all your comments.

Does anyone know if there is free car parking in Serfaus or Fiss?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can park for free at the Wald bahn which is half way between Serfaus and Fiss. I think it´s also free in both Serfaus and Fiss, though I´m not sure about overnight parking. Send an email to the Information Serfaus to find out for sure.
Great resort with lots of variety.
Serfaus has amazing facilites for kids in the ski school for anyone who might be interested.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
SaraJ wrote:
I love Mayrhofen,
Quote:

Well the Kaltenbach Valley run is definitely longer than the Ahorn red. From memory there are some parts of the Ahorn red which are almost a black in my opinion, so the level of difficulty is very similar I'd say, just that with the Kaltenbach one it goes on for longer.

Hmm... I wasn't sure about this that Alastair Pink, said, I would have said they were about the same length. So, I had a look at a map. The top station of the cablecar on the Ahorn is at 1955m, the top of the gondola at Kaltenbach is at 1740m, so the height difference at Ahorn is actually more... Still, it feels like the Kaltenbach run is going on forever when you're on it. It's mostly narrower than the Ahorn valley run. There's one bar on the last corner before the bottom and once you get to the bottom your can ski onto the side terrace of the PostAlm.
Hope that helps Smile

Ah but:
1. The elevation of Kaltenbach is 560m so the Kaltenbach valley run has a difference in height of 1740-560 = 1180m. The Ziller valley rises in altltude as you go up the valley from Kaltenbach to Mayrhofen (nominal elevation 633m but I think as you go from the Mayrhofen Church up to the Ahorn end of town you climb up a fair bit so the elevation at the base station is probably about 650m which ties in with the Ahornbahn elevation difference of 1300m quoted here.
2. I was taking the Ahorn red run as starting at the bottom of the lowest chairlift on the Ahorn (I think that's where it becomes Red 5 on the Mayrhofen piste map). This starts some way below the top station of the Ahornbahn, so I think the Red 5 piste (Talabfahrt) itself will be have less difference in height than the Kaltenbach run (but not much in it I grant you). Madeye-Smiley

I have done both many times especially at the end of the day, when in Mayrhofen, after a day on the Penken, I always like to finish off by heading up the Ahorn for one last non stop run. Generally speaking the run is quiet and the snow is still in good condition, tough but fair. However the home run in Katenbach at the end of the day is very busy and cut up with a lot of moguls, I also like to do it non stop, but leaves me almost dead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone have any experience of Ried Im Oberinntal?

I am thinking of hiring a car and basing in Ried. This look considerably cheaper than staying in Serfaus or Fiss. Looks like Ischgl can be fairly easily accessed via Samnaun. Is that the case?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Feast, not a bad idea. Never stayed there but have been through it - and it has it's own ski area of course.

I reckon you're better off driving the better roads to Ischgl rather than head for Samnaun - there won't be much in it.

Don't forget Nauders. Nice high ski area, lots of off piste, few people.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, cheers for the tips. I have never been to Ischgl, but it's currently top of my list, so would live to fit a day trip in if possible.

Fendels might be perfect for the mrs to have a warm up session when we arrive.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Feast, if budget an issue stay in kappl just down the road from ischgl. Great wee resort and only 5-10 mins away
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy