Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

#Helmetsarecool

Poster: A snowHead
Comedy Goldsmith, Yep and one of Britans top sit skiers was injured while performing a slow stop on a blue run in front of a bunch of squaddies, Your point is irrelivant it can happen anywhere.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
if you're expecting the NHS to put you back together after an accident is it unreasonable to require people to take some moderate safety precautions?

The same could be said for the NHS putting people back together for alcohol-related injuries. By that argument, sobriety should be mandatory.

One could argue that the tax and duty revenues from alcohol pay that NHS cost.
Whereas skiing produces little extra revenue to the UK government by comparison.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fattes13, well, it can happen anywhere (your example sounds like a real freak occurrence) but it happens most off kickers and in the halfpipe. Just a few:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/luke-mitrani-snowboarding-injury-crash-new-zealand-halfpipe/
http://www.theexpertinstitute.com/case-studies/skiier-suffers-paralysis-after-accident-in-terrain-park/
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/23/lucy-walker-crash-reel
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2013/09/16/teenager-suffered-brain-injury-while-snowboarding-in-2005
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The risk goes up infinitely when you are doing of axis rotations off a 60 foot kicker, but there are tons examples in skiing, climbing and other sports were people are killed or injured at very low risk levels. The famous case of Liam Neeson’s wife occurred on a blue run as far as I recall. When you actually look at the injury stats, “beginners are 3 times more likely to be injured than experienced skiers”. Some interesting stuff below where nearly 70% of accidents in resorts occur outside of terrain parks and the highest % of hand injuries occur on green slopes!

http://medicine.utah.edu/pmr/conference/presentations/fri/M.Henrie-SkiInjuryData-Fri-Track1.pdf

The point remains the same those that claim there is no benefit of having a lid on your head are akin to the earth is flat brigade at this stage, I am all for personal choice, your head your choice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyone can be bothered to look it up the recent documentary called "the crash reels" tells the story of Kevin Pearce and his rise to arguable the best snowboarder in the world at the time to being in a coma.

Its heart wrenching stuff!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13, I think you need to separate life-threatening / life-changing injuries from things like hand injuries.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eddiethebus, yes:

http://youtube.com/v/6eVg5h-4Ggg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller,Or you could just accept that the majority of accidents in resorts happen on standard terrain, the consequences of which can vary, life changing is relevant to the individual, serious Knee injury for example could change someone’s life. Park's and the extreme end of our sport make up a smaller % of incidents than most care to admit. The reasons are many mostly to do with the limited numbers partaking v recreational skiing and the training/ time involved in perfecting tricks.

Head injuries are just as serious from High speed collisions on piste as they are from a bad landing in the park and the most common cause of PSHI in ski resorts is ON PISTE COLLISIONS!!!!!!. There are tons of documented cases of serious head injuries on piste, or in the trees. Nearly 20% of all accident in the US are head trauma and of that only 5-7% involve features or park’s so ball park 13% of all head trauma incident while skiing in the US involve a Tree or a collision on piste.

Obviously the first port of call should be, proper education, tuition and reinforcing that people should skiing in control and responsibly, but sadly human nature and time have shown some people are just jackassses so you have to factor that in.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12394869

http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-injuries/head
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13, What thread are you reading?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

(your example sounds like a real freak occurrence) but it happens most off kickers and in the halfpipe

The one where you said this which seems to contradict most medical research and assessment of head injuries in relation to Skiing and boarding?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fattes13, but your stats are skewed. You'd expect most injuries to happen on or near the piste because that's where most people ski or board. The % that attempt inverted aerials in pipe or park is really really miniscule yet that's where there is a definite cluster of life-changing head and spinal injuries. That's really what the OP is all about.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feef wrote:
You mean 'I had a minor bump and ended up in hospital for weeks when I could have walked away if I wore a helmet' and "I had a serious whack on the head and would have been dead if I hadn't been wearing a helmet" are comparable?

I think you've had a bump too many on the head yourself.

Don't mean that at all. Simply meant the 'between the lines' message there was not the typical pro-helmet propaganda that some were accusing it of being.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That's really what the OP is all about.

The OP is about the promotion of the benefits of wearing a helmet in the reduction or minimising the impact of head trauma full stop.

One of the participant’s injuries occurred while hitting a standard small jump at the side of a piste the type a large % of skiers/Boarders will hit every season, the type that ski schools will bring kids over, not in a park or on a massive kicker, the type that probably 99% of us have tried at some point.

Yes the stats are skewed based on participation numbers but that does not change the fact that 13% of ALL on piste injuries result in PSHI type injuries, removing all other variables. That is a large % of on piste injuries resulting in Head trauma, no matter what other data you look at. Interestingly most of those stats are N.American based and I would be intrigued to see what results similar research in Europe would show.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13 wrote:
... but that does not change the fact that 13% of ALL on piste injuries result in PSHI type injuries...

That is such a load of tosh.

According to Ski Injury:

Quote:
Incidence of head injuries on the slopes

If you look at the incidence of head injuries on the slopes, most studies show that they constitute about 10-20% of all injuries. Given that overall a ski or snowboard injury occurs once every 300 days or so, we can extrapolate and say that for every 10,000 people on the slopes on any particular day, no more than three people will sustain a head injury requiring medical attention. Fortunately, out of all these people with head injuries, the majority (90%) of the injuries are minor - i.e. cuts, abrasions, and minor bumps. That leaves the remaining 10% having what's known in the business as a Potentially Serious Head Injury - hereafter known as a PSHI. This class of injury includes all episodes of loss of unconsciousness, (suspected) skull fractures, bleeds in and around the brain as well as major open head wounds (including penetrating injuries).

So, roughly 1% of all injuries is a PSHI.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wow all the statistics are so convincing, i'm never riding without a helmet again rolling eyes
ski holidays
eddiethebus, it's those rivers of blood and cerebrospinal fluid running down the piste that put me off.
snow conditions
so that's why they are called 'red' runs.....
snow report
Fattes13, Thanks for sharing the vid.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy