Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - winter 2005-06

Poster: A snowHead
It's been precipitating all day - in the town it's been changing constantly between rain and snow and all sorts of sleet. At the Cretes it's been snow all the time, and around 2,600m there's about 15cms (maybe 20) fresh snow which is nice and powdery. I was lucky enough to have a good student who wanted to do powder first thing Very Happy Very Happy so we managed to make some tracks. Couldn't see them or your hand in front of your face though. Shocked Bit of wind getting up though. Sad Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very warm again today, and the weather's been OK. Lower snow very sticky. Forecast reasonable for tomorrow. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi Charlotte,

Is it typical spring warm, or crazy warm like the 20 degree+ temps that were around during the previous seasons March!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, No, +3 this morning at the bottom of the lifts, but not getting all that much lower at night, so lowest run snow is soft at 9.30 ish. Seems very warm though - heavy and muggy. It just seems warmer than that. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh wrote:
hi Charlotte,

Is it typical spring warm, or crazy warm like the 20 degree+ temps that were around during the previous seasons March!

regards,

Greg
That's forecast for next week Greg Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yeh I know PG! I'm out 16th April so I hope the April showers are white ones by then Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, Plenty of time for it to get colder again by then - pouring with rain at the moment! Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Up on the glacier this morning and about 20-25 cms of fresh powder. I had to ski gently as I had a novice lady - but most of her lesson was skiing in powder. Fantastic. Piste like velvet too. Can't say more about here - see La Grave for why!!! Laughing Laughing Oh - it was sunny BTW! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got in. It's been snowing all day, but is easing off lower down now. Very wet snow in the village and a bit mixed higher up. Some lovely powder at 2,600m (Toura), but also some windblown around - could see you were in it until you were so it was a sort of hope for the best a "feel" day. Very poor visibility and flat light most of the time, but good skiing nonetheless. Valentin was interesting and easy today - sticky stuff at the top and slushy stuff at the bottom - no-one's going to get hurt sliding today. Very Happy

The weather is truly bizarre at the moment, but loads of snow and the snow/rain line lower than the forecasts said, so all good... Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
warm today, nice slushy spring snow at village level around 14,.00. Good snow still from Cretes up. Valentin as safe as it gets - very easy today. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How is it looking for the weekend Charlotte?

Getting excited now! Booked a Hertz car today - do you think we will need snow chains? Speak to you on Friday or Saturday and look forward to seeing you for my lesson on Sunday..!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bridgit Jones, I can't imagine you'll need chains, the roads are absolutely snow free. It's been so warm that een if it snows low it'll melt very quickly now. I've been down to the valley by the old road and nothing but running water.

Snowing outside at the moment and it's supposed to snow/rain on and off for the next few days - I hope they're wrong about the 0deg isotherm,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Decent day today, but snowing heavily this morning and a fair bit colder. Snow level was way below the village. Found some very nice fresh on the piste at the Cretes first thing and then some excellent bott deepish soft snow off the side of the top of the Combe de Thuit (one of the most ludicrous red runs ever!) around lunchtime. Moved further up after lunch to find some very nice (almost untracked) snow in the bowl between Tete Moute and Grand Nord Bis (got some there last week too). Did it twice + a little gulley to the side of the blue part of the Combe de Thuit. that was a tad warm as by then the temp had risen a bit. Bottom of the Valentin was excellent but the nursery slope at the bottom distinctly sticky. Wished I'd done Grande Pente, but it would have been to steep for one of my peeps. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, 'I hope they're wrong about the 0deg isotherm,'

I am still fairly new to all this ski jargon.. what does it mean?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bridgit Jones wrote:
easiski, 'I hope they're wrong about the 0deg isotherm,'

I am still fairly new to all this ski jargon.. what does it mean?

The 0 degree isotherm is the altitude at which the temperature is measured at 0 degrees centigrade, i.e., it is a measure of how warm/cold it is on any given day. Very roughly speaking, at altitudes above the 0deg isotherm any precipitation will fall as snow, and below it precipitation will fall as rain. So if your resort is based at 1300m and the 0deg isotherm is at 1900m, you'll get rain in your resort. But is the 0deg isotherm is at 300m, you will get snow in the resort.

The weather forecast for the next couple of days is for the 0deg isotherm to be very high (above 2,000m) which is why easiski is hoping the forecasters are wrong Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Thank you for the explanation! I hope they are wrong too!
ski holidays
Bridgit Jones wrote:
I hope they are wrong too!

It would be good, but it's looking likely that it will be warmer than average for the next four or five days, with Tuesday being particularly warm.
ski holidays
Well today started out cold and snowing and then became warm and raining (at the Cretes - 2,200m) it was sleeting aat around 2,600m where we found some very nice snow, but always snowing (and dreadful vis.) on the glacier. Snow there super - not too windy - snowing - if we could have seen it would have been lovely! rolling eyes Skiing down it became very wet snow around 2,700m and then definitely rain between 2,600m & 2,200m. Fortunately it's stopped in the village at the moment. The Valentin was slushy and OK, but is looking a bit thin in a couple of places. I should think it's too warm for the cannons at the moment .. Should be fine though - no stressing Bridgit Jones, You won't be skiing the last bit anyway! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, Am only stressing at the moment about finding all our ski wear as am still decorating upstairs and wardrobes are in bathroom, upstairs landing and generally everywhere they shouldn't be! I won't worry about skiing until we arrive in Lyon tomorrow!

rob@rar.org.uk, I will look forward to Tuesday then, I should by then know of a nice south facing establishment halfway down the slopes to stop for a beer or three and spend the afternoon soaking up the sun (assuming it's not raining of course!). Had a look at your apartment - it looks lovely! Maybe next season..
snow report
Bridgit Jones wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, I will look forward to Tuesday then, I should by then know of a nice south facing establishment halfway down the slopes to stop for a beer or three and spend the afternoon soaking up the sun (assuming it's not raining of course!). Had a look at your apartment - it looks lovely! Maybe next season..

The good news is that the latest runs of the GFS forecast are a bit cooler than they've been forecasting. Still a bit above the averag for this time of year, through until Monday or Tuesday, then a bit below average. However, still quite a bit of variation in the forecasts, so best take this as a broad indicator rather than a frirm forecast.

You'd be more than welcome to try our apartment next season - the weather's always perfect in Les Arcs Wink
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,

Are you a weather man? You seem very well informed!
ski holidays
Bridgit Jones wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,

Are you a weather man? You seem very well informed!

No, sadly I have no meterological skills whatsoever. I simply follow the interesting weather-related links that a number of snowHeads have posted over the last few months Smile
snow report
Well, come rain or shine we are packed and it looks like the only thing I cannot find anywhere are my snow sunglasses.. guess I will have to buy a new pair en route!

Leaving at some ridiculous time in the early hours for a 7.30am flight from Coventry.. easiski, see you soon!

rob@rar.org.uk, I will let you know how the weather was on my return next week..!

Oh dear.. am not the most confident skier and those familiar tummy stirrings are starting... Confused
snow report
Bridgit Jones, you will be a much more cofident skier by the time easiski had finished with you.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's not raining again in resort. rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, pleased at the lack of rain. I'd hate all that to be washed away by next MOnday.
snow conditions
I'm off to Les2Alpes tomorrow, so good news about the rain, but if you could organise some sunshine for some of the week it would be great!
easiski, I'm trying to persuade Mrs N to have a lesson - do you have any time left this week?
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, Not unless she can join a level 2 class... happy on easy blues, can get down tough ones, no desire to do reds. Otherwise all slots full I'm afraid. Give us a bell anyway - Bridget Jones also here.

Lots of news today With heavy rain low down last night (and about 5 cms fresh snow on the Cretes + loads higher up), they were blasting with a vengence. Shocked No-one got up until around 10.00, so all lessons out of kilter and time!! But a HUGE avalanche on the face in the gully between Sapins and l'Y - absolutely massive. In addition the whole of the Cretes wall of the Combe de Thuit came down and knocked over 2 pylons of the Combe de Thuit chairlift (the first 2). The chairlift was buried - I've never seen anything like it in my life. Shocked Shocked Scary and impressive. they seem to have been blasting right down to ground level so the whole mountainside of snow has come down and you can see the grass. Belle Etoile is also almost completely gone on the other side of the Thuit, but the Rachas didn't go, and the tracks looked good. There must have been a good bit in the night and through the week, as there are now tracks in places where I haven't seen any all season. Gours was open, with everyone having to go back up the Fee chairlift and back down the blue ( Laughing black really) escape route.

I had a very mixed bag of students today, and skied l'Y at about 13.00 when it was the most perfect spring snow, very few tracks, ab fab. Also had excellent snow between the glcier and around 2,800 or so. After that late this afternoon slightly soft! Of course bumps everywhere later, as we've had such bad weather all week, everyone was up today and giving it their max! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, if we get the heli over to Deux Alpes from ADH next week, are there any "not to miss" runs we shuold look for, will only have a few hours and won't go beyond an average red as my 8 yr old will be with us. thanks.
snow report
masmith, Is your 8 year old able to ski unpisted? If so there's a very nice run off the Breche above theGours which is know to the Brits as the hidden valley. If not, then I recommend Bellecombe, Grand Creux, Grand Nord Bis and the whole glacier.
latest report
easiski, Thank you.
ski holidays
easiski, what, no pictures of the avalanche? What is natural or pisteur made?
snow conditions
RachelQ, they were all provoked - but I think a bit more went than expected! Pied Moutet is nearly bare off piste as well. Today I've heard several rumbles but no explosions. It was raining when I woke up which then turned to heavy snow, and I think it's now raining again - however I'm not going out to see!!! Shocked
ski holidays
A very nice day, warm and pleasant. It clouded over a bit around lunchtime and the light was a bit in and out in the afternoon. The snow was hard low down in the morning, but fab on the Bellecombe, so clearly above around 2,4-500m it was major snow all day yesterday. Not sure about the Cretes which was a bit firm late morning tending to slightly damp snow around lunch.

Supposed to be more of the same tomorrow, but a few flakes around at 17.00. Shocked
ski holidays
Well, very warjm and sunny again today with super snow. Hard and icy for the beginners in the village at 09.15, but the Cretes at 11.45 was great. Wnet up to 2,600m with perfect winter snow, packed powder basically, and really the best cover for years at this level. Lots of BUSC idiots in the snowpark - all in obligatory camoflage (sp?) trousers somewhere around their knees - mnay on Seth Viscious who couldn't ski worth a bean - very uncool Laughing Laughing Laughing I skied Gours with clients - very nice winter snow to start and light slush to finish and got a first hand close up look at the mess of the downed pylons on the Combe de thuit chair - humungeous lumps of avalanche debris everywhere. Down Grande Pente on my own to finish - loverly - good soggy spring snow on a pretty decent base - didn't spot even a tiddly rock, and the bumps were more the odd strategically placed pimples than anything else. Absolutely no probs on Fischers - didn't even wish once for the Zags, so it must have been pretty good! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Nice day, nice snow, but harder in the morning than yesterday. Very Happy
latest report
Raining in town all day (mega slush), snowing on Cretes - nice snow but cold and windy. Must have been snowing heavily further up, but didn't have the bottle to go to see!!! Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, but next week not looking too good - typical - 8 hours a day then (only 6 this week) Sad Sad
latest report
Nice sunny day today but a nasty cold northerly wind on the glacier. Snow up there really great, off piste a bit windpacked but skiable. didn't get a chance to ski real off piste, but saw some tracks in places where I'd like to go .... Lower snow a bit crispy this morning and slushy this afternoon, but skied Grande Pente again on the way home. It was a bit sticky at the top and of course not the best at the bottom, but the snow all the way down to the village was more than satisfactory. Fischers again.. One or two bare patches showing through at the bottom, but no rocks and this is as good as I've seen it at this time of year. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Beautiful day, not so windy on the glacier and snow from 2,600m up was as good as it gets. Spent a lot of time up there today and coming down was really nice too. Started to get a bit "damp" around 2,600m at 16.00ish, but good all the way to the Cretes.(2,200m). Below that pistes heavy slush, but still skiable - deffo better going down off piste runs, but didn't think 10 year old would cope with Grande Pente for his first taste of black!!!
ski holidays
What are the lift opening and closing times at the moment?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy