Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - winter 2005-06

Poster: A snowHead
Starting a new thread, as the other one's a bit tired now.

No snow looking likely, and disapointingly, it's a lovely day again. However it has been much colder recently, so at least the ground will be frozen when the snow falls. That's really important for keeping the snow we get. Snow is still visible down to about 2,300m, but isn't skiable at that height. I haven't (obviously) been up the mountain, but am hoping that it's Ok down to 2,600m at the moment. the cannons have been tested, but I'm waiting to hear when they're going to start using them every night. It must be soon as it takes a good while to build up a base if no natural snow falls. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there... nice to know there's someone who keeps an eye on the mountain..
We already made a resevation to come to L2A from december 3 to 7... We come from Barcelona in our car, so we hope it'll be worth the ride... What are the usual conditions in those dates? Even in a worst case scenario, I guess it's ok in the glacier, isn't it? Well, I'll keep my eye on this thread, especially after they open the resort.. will it be on november 26? I guess it's all closed now ( even the glacier ) 'cause they are preparing the season...
Thanks for the information, and please, update this thread often...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
playscope, Welcome to snowHeads. I'm sure Charlotte (easiski) will make you welcome to L2A. We had a fine time on the glacier at the end of October, but I hope you will have more by then. Charlotte will be happy to advise I am sure. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
playscope, Welcome to Snowheads. I have several people who ski with me who come from Barcelona. You are all very welcome! The snow (I think) should be OK to about 2,600m. Today it is very cloudy looking above 2,400m (this is the highest I can see from here). The forecast says it will snow tonight and tomorrow morning (even down in the resort). I'm feeling more hopeful than this morning when it was very warm and sunny. I will definitely let you all know. If you like playscope, you can call me when you are here and I can help you to find the best ski-ing, also the best bars Shock . My number is in all the Tourist Office information. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look here for video of 1st November 2005. http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1496/cat/503
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Charlotte,
I've just come back down from the Chartreuse where it has been spitting on and off this afternoon. The rain has just set in with the snowline around 1600 meters probably dropping to 1200 overnight. There has been about 2mm of rain since sunset so that probably translates into 2cm of snow at 1600 with a maybe 5cm higher up. Anyway the mountains should look white tomorrow.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 18-11-05 17:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Thanks for the pic. there's been a dusting down to about 1800m during the night, and it was much colder - 0 deg at 08.00 this morning. The cannons have been working, and for the first time they've left big blobs of snow on the lower slopes! snowHead

Hopefully, with the cold weather set to continue, at the very least the cannons should stock us up nicely at village level, and the Valentin should also be OK. Leter, I'll go out to see if the cannons were also at work on the Mont de Lans run - now that would be exciting! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'll go out to see if the cannons were also at work on the Mont de Lans run

Ooh what a treat that would be if that was open! Hope they haven't butchered the run too much- its appeal stems from the tight turns through the trees and ledges. Aside from worrying about the settled weather, surely its a good thing to have a week or so of dry and cold to freeze the ground solid for the snow to have a better surface to land on??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulmck, Better for the ground to freeze - definitley, however I'm afraid they have "butchered" the run. You and I must be unusual in enjoying "adventure ski-ing" - I'm sure most people will prefer it now. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Exciting! Take pictures Happy Post pictures! Pllleeeeaaasseee....Only 5 1/2 weeks to go...<waits impatiently>

aj xx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IT'S SNOWING Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Really? What right now? This very second?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, you lucky, lucky thing snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski,

Very Happy

When do the lfts open...?
snow report
JT Not till 26 Nov! It wasn't enough to make a real difference, but here's what it looked like outside my winder first thing this morning.

Very Happy [/img]
snow conditions
easiski, did you keel over before taking the first shot? snowHead
ski holidays
Woohoo! And many thanks for the pictures snowHead
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, It's my natural position!

Embarassed What's a winder?????? Sorry folks "Window" I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Very curious effect today. Where the fog was last night (up to about 1800m) was all white, mix of hoar frost and a dusting of snow, while between 1800m and 2400m it was still green(ish) grass! Never seen that before, but I couldn't get a decent piccy.
snow conditions
easiski, we have Winders up here instead of Windows. Laughing I've just cleaned mine!!
ski holidays
easiski, Its great to see those pictures - Could almost be the view out of my window!! Sorry to hear about the earthworks on the Mont de Lans - looks like we'll be spending a bit more time on Bons instead from now on. I understand their reasons for doing it, but its still a shame. That was one of the most fun runs on the mountain. Still, at least it means you won't be able to point out to your clients "those idiots" doing stupid stuff, and then to realise it was me and one of my silly friends... Laughing Laughing
Dave still has the top hat, btw, but is talking about taking his dinner jacket this year. Prat.
snow report
easiski,

you sure that isn't just a frost! looked about the same in Chester this morning.
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, There was a dusting of snow + frost. The frost's gone this morning but the dusting's still there. Her are 2 pix from late yesterday afternoon of that strange effect I mentioned. Most of the snow and frost had gone by then, of course.
snow conditions
easiski,

Looks great and should prepare the ground for snow in the next few weeks..If you have 1000m vertical in late November that is pretty impressive in anyone ones book, I reckon
ski holidays
I've made a Snow Diary on my website for up to date pix.http://www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm there are 9 that I took today, and you'll see the build-up of snow from the cannons every couple to days from now until the webcams start working. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Easiski, Thanks for the pics and info... We hope those cannons work hard., although we know that probably, we won't get a snowy atmosphere at 1600 mt... Tell me.. are the runs in LDA as hard as I've heard?... my lady is a novice boarder, and I am committed to teaching her a bit ... But we don't want to be stuck just in the babies' pistes...

Anyway, just a couple of weeks to go.. Update those pictures often, plz..

Thanx a lot..
latest report
Easiski, Thanks for the pics and info... We hope those cannons work hard., although we know that probably, we won't get a snowy atmosphere at 1600 mt... Tell me.. are the runs in LDA as hard as I've heard?... my lady is a novice boarder, and I am committed to teaching her a bit ... But we don't want to be stuck just in the babies' pistes...

Anyway, just a couple of weeks to go.. Update those pictures often, plz..

Thanx a lot..
snow conditions
 brian
brian
playscope, I wouldn't give up hope on the snowy atmosphere. I think this time next week, easiski will have some nice snowy pics to show you wink

L2A has some nice big wide blue cruising pistes up at the top on the glacier, and you get the best views up there too snowHead

btw, are you a Culé ? Ronnie was out of this world on Saturday. 0-3 Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
playscope, Strangely with LDA the harder runs are the last ones back to the village. High up on the glacier is like a moderately tilted football pitch. If you pin your ears back and schuss it all the way you can just about reach snail's pace... large and wide and flat and not at all scary! Most of my bad experiences as a learner at LDA years ago were on that damned single blue road back down from 2,600m... it gets utterly packed at the end of the day and most people on there aren't very considerate about learners. Maybe it's changed in the decade or so since I was there? Charlotte will let you know.
latest report
playscope, There are lots of wide easy runs on the glacier and at 2,600m where the snowpark is. No problem for your lady friend.

carled, they've done a tremendous amount of work recently (particularly this summer) to try to make that better. The first part of the path is now wider and a more constant gradient. After you pass the two chairlifts at the corner (which are now only one fast chair) the little narrow gully' been widened out and made a constant gradient too. Rather a lot of work on the mountain, but it will make it much easier for beginners. After the left handed corner they've made a stiff blue or red piste down into the Combe de Thuit, which will hopefully leave the path for novices and leave the better skiers out of the equation! However, I'm waiting to see how much real difference it makes, and stay in my belief (until proved otherwise), that the best way down is either NOT at the rush hour, or else in the lift! Shocked

When they've updated the piste map I'm going to put a link on my website, but I can't see any point at the moment. ps: I've never shussed the whole glacier - I go plenty fast enough carving turns - never mind straight!!!
latest report
Fresh pix on http://www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm today. Still cold and sunny, but the forecast's looking promising. snowHead
snow report
YIPPPPEEE

[/img]
snow report
easiski,

Looks great but it's not enough surley - the forecast doesn't look too promising either now @ 20cm tops. As far as I can see we need a real dump with 3 days of snow to get things established otherwise the runs just won't have enough coverage to open.

What do you think?
snow report
The 72 hour chart from here looks promising. I'm off to LDA this January - haven't been for years. Looking forward to it.
snow conditions
48 hr chart looks like the start of it - any idea how that sort of thing equates to snow on the ground ? Snow Forecast has 12cm at 2000m for LDA which doesn't seem much really.
snow report
NorthWestFace, It's only November! Shocked Of course it's not enough to ski on down here, but if you've checked out the page on my website you'll see the cannons have been working hard as well. Heavy snow is forecast for Friday and perhaps Sat and then dull and drizzly snow for the whole of next week. + if you look particularly at the pic I took yesterday of the SuperDiable, that's been looking skiable down to 2,400 for about 2 weeks now. It really is beginning to look much better.

Also, don't forget that LDA has never learned how to lie to the SCGB! If it says 12cms that's what there really is - any old place handy - not in a hollow under a tree like most resorts!!! rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
easiski, Do you know if ADH is getting the same sort of weather as you? Hoping so snowHead pictures look fab and very promising outlook. Always look forward to your updates!
snow conditions
easiski, Oh joy!
Just what I needed after a day tramping round sugar beet fields in the fog!
16 days to go....
Be still, my beating heart!!! Very Happy
latest report
katski, they are certainly getting the same weather. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
STILL SNOWING
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy