Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Big Little Salary Survey 2013 - comparison of in-resort wage packages

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks eddie you're absolutely right but joining groups just to post a link is a bit spammy and not really the image I want.

If you like the site then I would *love* for you to share it with any groups you belong to Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yeah, your right, hadnt thought of it like that Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Success! Following a quick email (didn't use the entire takedown page linked before!) the HR dept of the 'incredibly large tour operator' who asked to be removed has reconsidered and may contribute officially to the table!

Obviously this is against the 'for workers by workers' ethos, so if someone who has worked for that company feels the data provided is inaccurate or untrue I will challenge it with the the employer and/or amend if necessary.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately I didn't think to install Google analytics before publicising Skiwu.org but here's what it has captured to date re user location:

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow that's massive. Sorry, on my mobile and just linked to Twitter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albinomountainbadger, err .. most of the six from Germany was probably me. Skewing your stats, sorry. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think all the ones from the Netherlands are me while I was updating it... Can't imagine over a dozen Dutch people read snowheads, natives or my Facebook feed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should have gone around the various season workers job fayres that have been on this week. There was one in Albertville. For example Le Kilimandjaro in Courchevel was looking for hotel staff. 35 hour week, food and lodging included plus 1400 euros / month salary. No previous hotel experience necessary. A bit better than the scummy rates paid by UK operators.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, all French ski season jobs are available for viewing with hours pay, and packages declared on each job listing via the pole emploi website. The table linked on Skiwu does carry local/'foreign' jobs but doesn't actively seek them out because, unlike the UK based operators, nothing is hidden.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, Or probably less than it costs per person per night to stay at the Kilimanjaro Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albinomountainbadger, not sure if this is relevant but I'm having difficulties getting into your site. The Welcome screen remains statically in place meaning I cannot look at the database, do you have to register first or something?

I was looking to see if anyone had entered the information about a couple of places I know of in Austria that employ Gap year students and recently qualified L1 (with Anwärter) and L2s (Anwärter not compulsory but advised). One place is excellent the other is crap and needs to be outed for want of a better description! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, sorry about that. No registration required. Normally you should just click on the arrow "<" to make the box go away.

What are you using to browse it? I have tried in most browsers and an Android phone but don't have access to everything, so feedback is most welcome.

Caveat: You will need Javascript (for the sliding) and a relatively modern browser (for the CSS).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am using Firefox on my office PC - I also use Chrome, Safari and IE9 on occasions.

The problem is now solved - perhaps a note to click on the Back arrow to remove the opening screen may help, it is not that intuitive right now! wink

I'll collect the accurate data from those involved and update it later in the week. Nice database and very informative.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, thanks for the feedback. I've changed one of the arrows to an X (more Windows-y) and given the text in the welcome box explaining the arrows more prominence - do you think that would be better, or more required?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Much easier to enter now - amazing how quickly we have become "programmed " to close windows by clicking on an X!

I'm finding it quite hard to scroll across and the comments section does not fit the window it is in so you need to scroll while reading the comments - can you re-size to allow the comments to read as a complete box or is that a major re-jig? The other thing I would like to be able to see more listings per page - maybe a drag out option to increase the viewing box such as you get on a lot of programs with pop-up boxes would help. You currently have a large amount of dead screen space on my screen (I'm using a 23" wide screen, but these are not as uncommon as they used to be)

I love the way the company name and job etc are fixed while you scroll across the extra information - nice touch!

Can you add a selection option to find a letter of the alphabet quickly? So if someone has an offer from a company they can quickly find that specific company. Currently it is quite quick to scroll through the list, but as the information grows then the current method will put put people off.

I'll cross check my information about the jobs I have had (my data is way out of date) but I know the jobs are still on offer with the same companies. When I'm up todate, I'll enter it into your database.
snow report
Really interesting - been reading this for ages and it's amazing how much difference there is between TOs.

Quick feature request - could you upload the xlsx as well, maybe in zip form? While the excel web app is pretty nifty, it's not half as good as a real version of Excel.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, ok, some good stuff to think about here. The issues you're having with scrolling and 'wasted' screen space are limitations of the Microsoft Excel Web App used to embed the table in the site. Unfortunately you cannot tell Excel to rescale itself to be eg 85% of a user's screen as you would do a normal page, you have to pick hard pixel values which will never change. If I went for a larger value then people with smaller screens wouldn't be able to view it properly, so wasting space on larger screens is the lesser evil. In terms of pop-ups I also can't control anything that goes within the table as that's all at Microsoft's end (see below comment to jiagedaping for more).

I'll take a look a resizing the Comments box though, if anything I could increase the row height which would allow more lines of text across a smaller width column.

If you want to jump straight to companies that begin with e.g. 'F' you can use the Filter function in the Company column. " Filter > Text Filter > Begins with > F"
I'll see about adding an alphabetical jump-list though, I appreciate a lot of people don't think in terms of Excel filters...

jiagedaping, I kind of decided against that for this version (years ago it was a link direct to a spreadsheet download) because 1,000 people accessing the web app on Microsoft's servers puts a lot less pressure on mine than those same 1,000 people repeatedly downloading a spreadsheet each time it is updated. For some reason I don't want it too be easy for HR departments to just download and manipulate the file either wink

I appreciate that the user experience would also be much better if this was a simple PHP table, and that's something I might look at in time. The Excel WebApp was just the quickest and easiest way to get the data online.
ski holidays
Some more additions over the last few days including Absolute Snow, Skiworld, Ski Cuisine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy