Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Big Little Salary Survey 2013 - comparison of in-resort wage packages

Poster: A snowHead
UPDATE: New address: http://www.skiwu.org
UPDATE2: For mobile users, I've tried to remove the background and initial welcome message on smaller screens. Now you should just get the table and submission form. Post below if it doesn't work.

A couple of seasons ago, before that site bit the corporate bullet, natives.co.uk user UncleAlbert and I asked forum users to provide their season pay details which were then plugged into a spreadsheet.

Following discussion on another snowheads thread recently, it seems there might still be some interest in such a resource, so it's now been updated in fancy website-embedded Excel-goodness and is accessible >HERE - CLICK HERE< or click the screenshot below.

Unfortunately the last data relates to 2011 so if you, your friends or children have experience of last season, please send on those details to be included.

To contribute, just fill out this nifty little form. Happy

If your employer is already on the list then please check if their deal has changed since last season, it's interesting to see if there is any development.

This is for everyone's use, of no financial gain to me, and doesn't break any rules that I'm aware of(!) so please do contribute.

Thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-10-13 11:41; edited 15 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albinomountainbadger, will have a look when I'm on a machine with a bigger screen!

I'm currently applying for jobs and any info, even outdated will be interesting Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albinomountainbadger, maybe separate the pass/accommodation into its on line to be answered with a yes/no rather than have it in the notes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
charlie.wilkinson, it's a good point and we did consider that but found the vast majority of packages submitted either had both or neither; rarely one or the other so the notes are really just to say local Valley or full area pass. If the trend is going that way now though I'll happily amend it to reflect.

I'll do some reformatting of the table at some point too; I just threw it online without much testing tonight - I realise it's hard to read the notes with all that scrolling.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albinomountainbadger, just thought it would be a quick indicator between jobs with inclusive accommodation/passes and those without. I guess the expected pay should give it away but thought it might be more obvious stated by itself. Looking at the data you've already got (which is very helpful) it would just distinguish the tour operators from independent operators
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick update today with job listings from Ice and Fire (France) and Lake Louise Ski School (Canada). Thank you to those contributors, more obviously welcome!

charlie.wilkinson, valid point, I've amended the table to add in two additional columns for those items. I don't want to make assumptions on previous season entries where not obvious, so these will be filled in going forward from now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albinomountainbadger, update for ticket sales in 2Alpes - 390€ a week (net), lift pass included, various other benefits (profit share scheme, tickets restaurant, discounts via the comité d'entreprise, savings plan, health insurance etc).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Lizzard, will update that tomorrow.

Now, I've spent most of today googling PHP stuff online but finally the end result is a funky little submission form for contributors. Should make it easier for me to process the data, and hopefully easier for people to provide it. Very Happy

Add your season job here. Very Happy

Also any thoughts/corrections welcome (my eyes hurt so I'm bound to have missed stuff).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today's updates are for roles with VIP Ski, Olympic Ski, SkiWorld and Deux Alpes Loisir.

Please note I've moved the site from the first domain, you can now find it at skiwu.org.

Have also been doing quite a bit of fiddling today so apologies if you've had any problems using the site (I wouldn't bother trying to use it on smartphone or tablet, the spreadsheet necessitates a large screen so I've made no effort to code for small ones).
UPDATE: I've rewritten it to remove the background and initial welcome message on smaller screens. Now you should just get the table and submission form. Post below if it doesn't work.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-10-13 11:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is a load of garbage.

For example.

If your experienced or even your 1st winter season % pwpared to work
you can find a job with an Austrian employer. The Salaris can be excellent.

You find the time to ski 2hrs a day. Thats enough over a whole season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:

For example.

If your experienced or even your 1st winter season % pwpared to work
you can find a job with an Austrian employer. The Salaris can be excellent.

You find the time to ski 2hrs a day. Thats enough over a whole season.

So err, add those to the list then? Don't really see why you think it's garbage, it's a dispassionate list of all salaries payed, not saying that all salaries are low.

Would be interested to see some instructing ones from France/Switz if anyone cares to share?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

In what way, precisely? The information on it was contributed by people actually doing those jobs and was correct at the time or writing. The fact that you think people can earn more in Austria (but don't give any solid examples, I notice) does not make that information inaccurate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is just one example for a BarChef coming season
In Ischgl. €1800 netto.

Note:Its normal in Austria that a room & food will be supplied,insurance,discount
lift ticket (half back end of season)

Plenty more on the website

http://www.rollingpin.at/hoteljobs/jobview/134192
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, you seem to have missed the entire point.

Job adverts and recruiters can promise anything, the table shows what you actually get (/got).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Diificult to read the website on my phone.

I would imagine most of these low paid salaries are paid
From British/Expat based tour or chalet operators more
or likely circumvating local rates of pay so they do not
have to pay social or pension contributions.
latest report
stanton, as albinomountainbadger says, you have missed the point. And since you don't work in resort and aren't likely to either, why don't you keep your trap shut? There are numerous reasons why British people looking at a UK-based website would not necessarily be looking for 'proper' jobs in Austrian resorts (eg they don't speak German, they are prioritising ski time over other things, they prefer the easy social life of a TO job ...... etc etc.). The aim of the site is to give potential seasonnaires information about the actual packages offered by a variety of actual employers. Which is what it does.

Seriously, there are times when I actually think you're a bit of a retard. Laughing
snow report
albinomountainbadger,

No. I do get it.

The advert in the example I know from very reliable contacts is the going rate & dont forget the tips
which could easily double your wage in High Season.

Anyway folks. Thats my Austrian tip "go local" & you will not go home broke. Very Happy
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Diificult to read the website on my phone.

UPDATE: I've rewritten it to remove the background and initial welcome message on smaller screens. Now you should just get the table and submission form. Post below if it doesn't work.

stanton wrote:
I would imagine most of these low paid salaries are paid From British/Expat based tour or chalet operators more or likely circumvating local rates of pay so they do not have to pay social or pension contributions.

I agree! I would love to have more 'local' employers featured so that Brit workers appreciate how much they are being exploited.

At the moment most of the data is on UK Tour operators because that's how the vast majority of Brits do seasons, and the table can only hold information I've been given by those workers.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-10-13 11:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

"go local" & you will not go home broke.

Gosh really? Wow, I wonder how none of us had noticed that one? rolling eyes

It's also the case that you might well go home not having done a lot of skiing, which rather defeats the point for your average British seasonal type.
latest report
An update:

Previously, I accepted submissions for next season based on the theory that people with a contract in front of them could punch in what is written on it.

On reflection, it might be better to only ask people post-season how much/what they actually received because payslips are easier to understand than contracts, and in advance people have no idea what sort of hours they'll really do.

Most submissions are definitely of the "here's what I got last year" variety anyway.

n.b. Anything already submitted for 2013/2014 will be kept and amendments welcomed after the season if necessary.
ski holidays
Today's updates are for Ski Out of the Blue and 'a small independent chalet company' which for the moment sadly rests unidentified beyond that.

Also some more site tweaks, sorry!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 18-10-13 8:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
albinomountainbadger, practically famous, you just turned up on my Facebook feed, well done!
snow report
charlie.wilkinson, ha very good!

In other news, had my first "take us off" request today. No dispute of the information, just a request to be removed. Any lawyers feel like giving me a couple of hints?
latest report
albinomountainbadger, interesting ..... one of the lower paid jobs, perchance? Laughing

I can't imagine you could be obliged to comply provided the information is accurate. Unless there's some issue of confidentiality.
snow conditions
stanton, Bit rude to call this a load of garbage methinks. I believe the original idea behind this was to show what the various tour ops were paying as a guide for anyone looking for a tour op job. Local jobs have snuck in too. But you cannot compare a local job with a tour op job and having done both (in Austria) they are very different. Yes local jobs provide good wages compared to tour ops but often they will lack in ski time and not all of them come with accom. Tour op jobs are scandalously if not illegally low paid but you do get on the hill a remarkable amount with relatively decent hours (ie no late nights till 2-4 working in a bar etc. well done badger.
ski holidays
bizzare...try to do something useful for people and get flamed for it.
snow conditions
eddiethebus wrote:
bizzare...try to do something useful for people and get flamed for it.

Welcome to the internet...
snow conditions
I love that you are doing this. Have you posted/shared it on Natives - or for that matter, asked for their participation?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iain, thanks for the encouragement. I was going to send a link to Skipedia on twitter but thought you might not appreciate it post-natives. What do you think of the demand to remove information? You must have encountered it with some articles in the natives chatroom occasionally?

Oh I did post two links on the natives chatroom but haven't contacted the current management team, no.
ski holidays
Personally I don't think anyone could ask you to remove the information unless it's not true or breaking some sort of official secrets act or inflammatory or copyrighted. Newspapers publish peoples salaries all the time. Shame and name or ask them to provide the correct information..... grrr.
snow report
Well....me too but who knows. Fact the site is registered and hosted in France would probably create a few legal headaches in any case.

I've come up with this as a sort of standard-response to such requests, what do we think? http://www.skiwu.org/takedown.htm
snow report
albinomountainbadger, just had a nosy at the site since you re-formatted it - it looks great! Very readable. Thanks so much for doing this, it's really interesting reading.

Re. the takedown response - it's quite wordy, but very comprehensive and difficult to argue with Smile I like the link to chillingeffects as well.
ski holidays
I can't link i get an interface preferee page ?
latest report
fixx, thanks. Wordy is to try and grind them down. wink

hsdee, are you on talk talk broadband? It's a problem at their end, some weird delay in updating dns entries or something so you're seeing the host's holding page until they catch up.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-10-13 20:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Great submissions today, updates now online from:

TUI, Rude Chalets, Sport 2000, Skibug, Skiology another 'Independent Chalet Company', Skiidy Gonzales, Skiworld (x2), VIP Ski (x2) and Jacks Bar.
snow report
Quote:

I've come up with this as a sort of standard-response to such requests,

Surely it would be much easier to add a new column called "has this company sent a take down request"?????? wink
snow conditions
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Quote:

I've come up with this as a sort of standard-response to such requests,

Surely it would be much easier to add a new column called "has this company sent a take down request"?????? wink

Ha, nice idea. Otherwise I was thinking of a "censored by XYZ ski" banner on the front page. Laughing

While I'm here, packages received during the night and to go on later today include Consensio Holidays, CK Verbier and Ski Beat.
ski holidays
Snowheads needs a like button Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for recent contributions, over 150 roles now and getting back up to date with this. Started a twitter feed for updates to save reviewing the table each time: https://twitter.com/SkiWu_org
ski holidays
you could post a link to resorts facebook groups, to get a few more hits, we have this one in chamonix:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/chamonix.skibums/

gets quite a lot of "local" workers rather than TUI type's Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy