Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
First lift of the day - lovely velvet before the crowds - some nice boot top fluff to the side as well....and this is at 1700m!

Buddy1664, Great news about the uphill track - hope they do enforce the uphill (on piste) ban, had many a close call skiing down the Pier Ric very fast and coming over a roll to find someone skinning diagonally up the piste.

jbob, Yes the Basher drivers do have a problem with those skiing up the piste, especially with the winch cats.

Unfortunately plenty of people still skiing the piste in Les Houches during the day (Even at half term) - Dawn Patrol no problems with the piste but they know what they are doing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A long wait to get up the Midi this morning, usual CMB not opening on time, messing around with bin tickets etc.

But well worth the wait

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idris wrote:
A long wait to get up the Midi this morning, usual CMB not opening on time, messing around with bin tickets etc.

But well worth the wait[/img]
Petits Envers? Snow was weirdly deposited, too deep to move in places, tracks showing through in others (though still awesome).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No not that tracked out mess Wink Rognon almost no wind affect!

Skied LH for a run this morning - untracked pow still to be found - must be out of direct sunlight or it's crusty - pistes the best I've seen all year (it is Paris holidays)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was rather nice on Saturday - probably should have got up earlier yesterday rolling eyes

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, lovely. That top photo is one of my favourite views in the valley.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris wrote:
No not that tracked out mess Wink Rognon almost no wind affect!

Skied LH for a run this morning - untracked pow still to be found - must be out of direct sunlight or it's crusty - pistes the best I've seen all year (it is Paris holidays)
Yeah Rognon is usually stunning. I was pushing for it but got overruled. Looks fantastic!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coming on Friday for five days. How busy is it going to be? Hope the worst rush is over by now?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sad news from chamonix, a friend sadly passed away early in the week after he was caught in an avalanche.

RIP Davey Sausage Sad

http://www.lornecameron.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mighty fine morning off back Vallorcine, snow pleasant if a little windpacked. Sun trying to peek through. Not terribly busy although for once we were in the car park at 09:15. Grands Montets look astonishingly skied out ( Shocked ) as we drove down about 15:15...

And top lunch at Ecuries de Charamillon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eddiethebus wrote:
Sad news from chamonix, a friend sadly passed away early in the week after he was caught in an avalanche.

RIP Davey Sausage Sad

http://www.lornecameron.com/

This is sad news indeed, my daughter was raving about his sausages a couple of weeks back and was very upset when she heard.

The mountains are a tempting mistress, that gives great pleasure, but ultimately can be cruel and unforgiving.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of snow but heavy in LH getting slushy at the bottom. Finaly good coverage everywhere!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aiguille du Midi rather nice today

Still good in the afternoon

Was a bit busy on the way home

Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ça va, Chamoniards? Will be in town for a few days next week (12th - 16th) and am at a loose end due to plans falling through for some touring from the Argentiere hut. So if anyone needs a partner for some nice touring or just a general ski then pm me. I don't need showing around as I used to live in Cham so I promise not to slow you down! From the looks of the weather forecast I should bring beachwear and suntan lotion!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone got any recent info? Hows brevent-flegere holding up in the afternoons?
latest report
Sorry hollando, it's soup, with a side of mashed potatoes.
snow report
hollando, was at Les Houches yesterday and Le Tour today. It's lovely and sunny and the pistes are quiet and OK. The off, well it's off. The pistes were starting to get sticky in the afternoon. But a nice day all the same.
latest report
Sounds like general conditions all around at the moment.

Anyone know how the various VB routes are currently looking?
snow report
Thats what I thought given the temps. GM and Balme it is then
latest report
B/F aren't nice, sticky and slow, off-piste is pretty much piste now. Under Cornu chairlift there is usually an off-piste cut through the rocks but there's been so little snow that about 2m of rock has surfaced with no snow on top.

Haven't been to Le Tour for a couple of weeks so may have to check that out now. GM is definitely your best bet, but be aware that there are a lot of mogul fields now.

Haven't been up VB recently but waiting for it to snow before I head up so there's some powder.
snow report
Had a lovely walk today down by Sallanches. Sunshine, spring flowers, even a bee and a butterfly.
Off to Courmayeur tomorrow will report back. The forecast is dialing back on the cold snap!
ski holidays

Not looking as cold as previous charts and less certain.
ski holidays
Fatal accident on the Pas De Chèvre take it easy in the warm weather.

http://www.chamonix.net/english/news/fatality-pas-de-chevre
ski holidays
Touchguru, VB was nice today - bit motorway style

Requin bump field is getting well defined

ski holidays
Idris wrote:
Touchguru, VB was nice today - bit motorway style

Thanks Idris. Nice shots!

Planning to get there on 23rd so hoping it stays in as good condition until then.
latest report

Mont Blanc's north face huge strugi (2 feet high) at the start and then cupped ice on the main face that was actually easier to ski than I thought. I think the ripples gave your edges something to grip on.

The snow on the way to the Grand Mulets hut was very wind effected and a very grabby breakable crust.

Below the hut the snow started soften and became a lot more fun………. until you got to the forest track below Para on the way down to the tunnel!!!! More emotional than the actual ascent. It was unskiable at the bottom, too many roots, rocks and tree stumps. We walked the last few hundred metres.

ski holidays

View down towards Chamonix.
snow report
Nice one Buddy1664, did you go up the Grand Mulets? Or Trois months route?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a week's work in Chamonix.

Le Tour still OK if you go looking... Posettes was nice and chalky at the start of the week, Pte de Van to Trient still had nice soft snow (surprisingly untracked) in the shade and good spring snow in the sun - bottom starting to feel the heat a bit though so timing is crucial. Arolette couloirs still nice and chalky with soft patches to be found underneath until you get into the sun.
GMs bumps bumps and more bumps unless you head up the top. Grand Mur was nice smooth chalkiness midweek, and if you could avoid the sastrugi there was more smooth windbuff to be found skiers right of Pt de Vue and down into the exit couloirs.
Courmayeur was pick of the pops (as always) with great coffee, good pizzas and surprisingly soft snow in the Arp-Dolonne couloirs and good cold snow still in the Vesses.
VB (Envers) skier pisted and also quite wind-packed on Tuesday, Requin couloirs getting a bit sketchy in the heat - far skiers' left seemed best.

Forecast for this week appears to be soleil, soleil and a bit more soleil, certainly until Thursday at the earliest...

Lots getting done in the mountains too - some friends linked up an ascent of the Couturier to a ski descent of the Whymper on the Verte on Wednesday, conditions not fantastic in either though with plenty of black ice on the way up and the wind preventing softening of the snow on the way down... fun & games!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 15-03-14 16:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Idris Cheers, Grand Mulets. Used it as a route recce and acclimatisation for a oner in the next few months. Just wanted to take advantage of the fine weather.

Parked up at the tunnel wednesday morning around 8ish. Conservative skin up to grand mullets hut. Stayed in the winter room that night. Up at 4am and on the summit for just after 10 (GM route). Back at the car by 2pm after a half hour i the GM hut having a cuppa and wasting a lot of time in the woods getting down from La Para. Beer in town by half 2.

I was going to post a brief TR in another thread when I'd got all of Phil's photos as well.
latest report
Courmayeur was very pleasant yesterday. The piste have been well looked after and held up until late afternoon. Off piste was not great, except where it had been battered flat by skis!
latest report
Quote:

I was going to post a brief TR in another thread when I'd got all of Phil's photos as well.

Please do, Buddy1664. it's not the sort of thing I could ever do, but I'd enjoy reading about it! snowHead
ski holidays
La Tour perfectly pleasant on piste, a little tricky to get the timing right off.
latest report
A bit late to post but I went to Brevent/Flegere on Saturday. It was very warm and it didn't do the totally south-facing slopes any favours, and by about 11am it was very sticky and slushy and not huge amounts of fun. Higher sections were OK, and the black run from the very top of Brevent was just about the best of the day, followed by the top half of the runs from the Floria drag.

At least coverage is still pretty good, although a few rocks were peeping through on some runs so bases beware.
snow report
Looks like there may well be a fair bit of snow being put down above 2000m!! Smile

I am in Chamonix for an EMS training week which doesn't start until Monday and not doing VB due to predicted unsettled weather, so looking to see if there is anyone around who is keen to go ski GM or Domain De Balme off piste tomorrow?
latest report
Well the promised snow finally came, a little later than advertised maybe. A couple of runs from the Plan d'Aquille back to the Grepon were fresh tracks both times in 30-50cm of fresh (super light transitioning to well - not - but skiable). The first run (from the noon bin) was even in watery sun. So as there was only 6 skiers on the noon bin and 5 on the 1pm; where were you all?
ski holidays
At Grands Montets
snow conditions
So was it good?
snow conditions
Winter has also returned to Les Houches Wink

ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
So was it good?

It was excellent! Smile Caught the 9:15 Lognan lift up after queuing for a bit.

Grand Montets lift only opened at around 10:30am so lapped skiers left of Bochard, after descending a bit from the top, to the top of Coqs.

First run was in fairly difficult visibility and second run was perfect. Snow between about 20-40cm but there was some hard pack to be felt in a few places underneath the powder.

Then lapped Point du Vue once and Pylones twice. Great snow and fresh tracks all the way on both sides with the pick being skiers right of Pylones to the top of Herse.

Finished with a run down the scraped hard pack of Pierre a Ric and in the car by 1:15pm.

Great day! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy