Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
So it begins

Last night's view from the office window.

This morning at about 8 am

And it's still snowing

I won't be out in it today because of http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2351089&highlight=#2351089

But I will be dusting off the xcountry skis and retrieving them form the workshop Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.bentibbettsguiding.com/ski-aiguille-du-midi/ Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/lW_Oj9RrNrU&feature=em-upload_owner
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now the season's started snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's just brilliant Idris! And still so many who think that skiing means December to March only Very Happy!! (Er, will there be snow if I go in April? rolling eyes....)

Let's hope that this is the start of another long, snowy winter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gosh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fabulous
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Nate Wallace
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks fabulous if a little wind-blown!

Idris, why torture yourself like this? And, happy birthday snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello, have booked flights to Geneva for 21st March and fancied La Clusaz but wondered if Chamonix is a better snow sure option or is La Clusaz generally ok at this time of year?

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today's cham meteo, looks like a lot of snow above 2000m.

Very active disturbance - heavy precipitation - very strong wind high up
SKY CONDITION : overcast.
PRECIPITATION : moderate until the middle of the night - becoming heavy later - rain-snow limit towards 2600 m, dropping towards 2000 m - expected snowfall towards 2500 m : 40-50 cm, windblown.
WIND - aloft : WSW strong -> strong to gale force.
TEMPERATURE : low +3°C.
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 03
Very unsettled - heavy precipitation in the morning - gale high up - getting colder
SKY CONDITION : overcast in the morning - becoming mostly cloudy - sunny spells in the afternoon. Period of sunshine close to 35%.
PRECIPITATION : moderate to strong in the morning, changing to showers in the afternoon - rain-snow limit towards 1800 m, dropping towards 1300 m - expected snowfall towards 2000 m : 35-50 cm, windblown.
WIND - aloft : WSW -> WNW gale -> W strong.
TEMPERATURE : low +3 °C - high +7°C.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
when do your lifts open?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
forecast to 800m in Geneva region tomorrow... Time to get winter coat out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi, the Chamonix.com website says that the grand montets will be open some weekends in November, does anyone know if its open this coming weekend?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
very unlikely. if cmb open before the 7th dec i'd be amazed. Its very rare they will ever open for additional dates as the only people using the lifts are season pass holders who have already coughed up the dough Wink
ski holidays
i gave the tourist information a call today and they said its closed this weekend, but maybe some of the next weekends in November, depending on the snow.
snow report
Anyone recommend a good spa in Chamonix or nearby (st gervais etc...)? Is it required to book in advance around new year?
snow conditions
Hotels: morgane, aiglons or Mont Blanc maybe? For spas I mean
ski holidays

Sitting at my desk trying to be productive
snow report
Idris, when will you be able to ski again (and I don't mean cross country)?
latest report
Princess? wrote:
Idris, when will you be able to ski again (and I don't mean cross country)?

Probably when the lifts open properly (not weekends in Verbier) I'll be sliding around gently - going to see the quack about the knee next week - physio says mid jan but he IS playing the safety card.
latest report
The discounted season pass is only available until 30/11, get your skates on if you're heading to chamonix.
snow report
Quote:

get your skates on if you're heading to chamonix

I had a nasty accident on the ice rink in Chamonix - the worst bruised leg ever.
snow conditions
For anyone in Chamonix what's the base like lower down right now? Is it worth driving up this weekend from Geneva to skin up at Les Houches or le Tour or is it still very thin and patchy at the moment?

Thanks!
snow conditions
Depends what your definition of low down is! Went up to just above Grand Montet's mid station today and down to approx 1500m the covering was good! Really nice powder! Below that if you picked your route you could keep on good snow and avoid hitting rocks but you had to keep an eye out (I ended up with a few scratches). Personally I think it's worth it, but I enjoy the up as well.

Can't say specifically for Les Houches and Le Tour.

There seemed to of been a bit of wind at altitude (it was quiet at valley level) so keep an eye out for avi danger.
snow conditions
Just remembered, on the way down today we noticed that the snow cannons had been switched on for the home run. Also, last Friday the snow canons were on at Le Tour, but I haven't been there since so no idea if the snow was still there before the latest snowfall (we had everything from heavy powder to ice to wind slab that day, but first days skiing of the season so still good!).
ski holidays
It's ace, best since i've been here, 14yrs, come play, if you got it in ya!
latest report
Great, will give it a go then!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've heard that Grands Montets will open this weekend if a technical issue can be sorted.
snow conditions
I keep being told these are just rumours... I'm skinning up there today so I'll see what the activity is like. I think this weekend is the opener for Courmayer so I will probably be heading over to Italy.
snow report
Looks like it is open at the weekend according to Chamonet: http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/partial-opening-of-grands-montets-this-weekend.html
snow report
Maybe not a trip to Italy then...

There was good powder skiing above the mid station (though cold and looked very windy up top!). The pistes above the mid station looked good. The home run was icy, chopped up and not much fun (but I'm sure they'll change that).
latest report
Hi!

Im heading of to chamonix on the 15th for a few days skiing. Ive heard that brevant and flagere are due to partly open the 14th. What are the conditions in chamonix at moment? I was there the same time last year and had meter deep powder. I am hoping for more snow in the next week.
snow report
mrlossyman, then I think you'll be disappointed. No snow forecast for the foreseeable future.
latest report
That's not good! Hopefully the cannons will be on and it will have to be some on piste action! Still 10 days to go and the weather can change quickly in the mountains....
ski holidays
I hope you are correct.
snow report
The strange thing, I had an email from Chamonix Weekends today saying;

"Grand Montets and Les Houches
open this weekend 7th Dec

We now have 10-20cm of snow on the valley floor, 50cm at 2000m and 150cm on the higher slopes. As we predicted in our last newsletter it has remained below freezing for the last couple of weeks which has enabled the snow cannons to run in most of the areas making it possible to ski down to the valley floor.
Brevent-Flegere and Le Tour-Balme open the following weekend 14th Dec."

Set of BS merchants?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I'd have to say the report on Chamonix conditions is legitimate. If you read it, it isn't a very rose tinted picture. 20cm ain't a lot, truth be known there is probably more snow here than they say. Only problem is the indigenous population are hyperactive and everything has already been skied!
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, well, well, change from previous (i.e. Tuesday) Grands Montets now partially open and Les Houches opening partially on Saturday. I assume partially means limited uplift, not closed at lunchtime, or on Tuesdays, for example.
snow conditions
50 cms at 2000m seems to be about par for the course in the northern Alps at present. At the normal rate of sublimation, there won't be much of that left in a couple of weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy