Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Jon Ford, Yep, Andorra is about 50km (?) as the crow flies East from Baqueira.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks AndAnotherThing.., will keep an eye on this post. a little bit of snow forecasted for end of the week. Had a look at all resorts and doesnt look like anywhere is getting snow this week (until the weekend). Hope its not a sign of things to come. 2wks on Sun we're flying in to andorra
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is great in Andorra at the moment with pretty much everything open. Base is from 90-170cm, and this video was taken in Arinsal yesterday:

http://youtube.com/v/ZCG5X6qE4wE
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for that snowsteve, looked a great skiing day. Did you film that or did you post the link from somewhere else? If you did film it, what are the prices like at the moment (drink/food etc) ie, is it cheaper than Frnace's 5-6 euro a beer and 4euro hot chocolates? thanks 2and a half weeks. Cant wait!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Happy new year, everyone!

Weather-wise, it's been a mixed bag over the Christmas, new year and Reyes holiday periods, with powder days, still days, cold days and boiling days, snowfall, rain, gales and sunshine! In Andorra there were a couple of interesting days where the cloud layer was half way up the mountain - a sight which is common in other ranges but not so frequent in the Pyrenees. You sit in the lift wondering how you'll see your way back down again, and suddenly you break through to radient sunshine:

During the Reyes weekend, the weather forecast couldn't seem to keep up with the reality. Almost all the days were much nicer than predicted in Grandvalira, with lots of good sliding to be had. The expected snowfall on Saturday evening and night duly fell, and so there was a bit of powder fever on Sunday morning. But we were laughing a bit at all the forecasts' "sunshine with some cloud" when we found ourselves, mid-afternoon, battling our way across the summit from El Tarter to Soldeu in the strongest wind I've experienced on the mountain so far, with zero visibility due to the battering of the rain that Ski Guide mentioned, large invisible snowdrifts tripping everyone up, and the farcical sight of us going kitesurf using our backpacks and arms as sails to try to make strapped-in progress across the flat, drenched summit :-~. Still, entertaining in its way, and the morning had offered some really nice descents such as the itineraries in Canillo:

One of the rides got the better of me though, when I found myself in the middle of a patch that had 2cm of solid ice on top of the powder, and I took a tumble which fractured my wrist Confused (not that I knew anything about it until the nighttime when it suddenly ballooned and started hurting... probably best not to think about the other impacts it took during the afternoon, nor the lugging of equipment, shopping etc afterwards! Breaks are curious things.) So, as my unbeaten record of a snowboard-induced broken bone every single winter continues unabated, I guess I'll be ignoring doctor's orders and trying to get my skiing up to scratch instead during the next few weeks. Skiers only fall sideways, right? wink

On a more sober note, I'm pretty glad I'm in the Pyrenees rather than the Alps at the moment (and if it's good enough for Xavier de le Rue then it's good enough for the rest of us I guess), but even here there's been some tragedy, with a 27-year-old Spanish woman killed in an avalanche on a known-risky slope in Soldeu on Christmas Day of all days; it sounds like none of her group had much avalanche awareness despite being regular season ticket holders, and apparently her two friends spent two hours trying to find her before raising the alarm Sad. Like so often, it seems to be impossible to find out the real story of what happened, so it's best not to speculate and instead just wish RIP and reflect how - as I once saw somebody express on SnowHeads and it stuck with me - the mountains sometimes charge a very high price for the beauty they allow us to share.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 9-01-14 1:48; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jon Ford, relax, there's plenty of snow! And it looks like the tail end of the storms that are causing the UK so much grief at the moment will hit again early next week.

Andorra's definitely cheaper than the rip-off spots in the French Alps, although in terms of cuisine it - like Spain - hasn't really got much beyond the burger and chips mentality. (Sometimes I pay a visit to the French Pyrenees just to get a decent lunch Toofy Grin)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Arinsal, the food on the mountain is poor. A lot of people ski or take lift to the village, lunch much better there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for the update Pyremaniac. Glad prices not as much as France. Not big drinkers anyway. Pizza/paninis & chips are fine for us at lunch. Hopefully the hotel will put on a half decent meal at night. If not, we'll just go out to a restaurant (hopefully they offer good food - read some good reviews) Keep us posted with news/snow/photos
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Off to western Pyrenees/Andorra on 29th Jan for a 3 day break- somewhat concerned about recent rain rather impacting on snow cover...hope it stablises! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr. Will, the main impact has been the stabilization of the snowpack, which is something to be very thankful for. The avalanche risk is currently 2. There's plenty of snow already, and plenty lots more to come, judging by the current satellite pictures. (And in any case, two-and-a-half weeks out is an long time in advance to be getting worried unless we're sitting in the middle of a high-pressure rut - which is sometimes the case in the Pyrenees in January, but this year we had that before Christmas instead. Frankly, the forecasts couldn't look much better at the moment!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pyremaniac, thanks for that, as soon as I posted the post the les Angles webcam starting turning white making it rather irrelevant (maybe I should moan more often Laughing
Am introducing a couple of friends who have only skied in the Alps before to the more chilled out nature of Pyrenean skiing so hopefully the weather will put on a good show!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pyremaniac, anymore info on Andorra - are you still over there? I red another website forum where someone said it had been chucking down with snow today (forecasts show 3cm fall today, so hopefully it was more...trees on webcam look covered in snow)
Looks a good forecast of snow over the next week. We fly out a week tonight so hoping for a load over this week and nice blue skies in a weeks time!
have fun if you are still there
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am in Andorra 2 weeks tomorrow, Pas de la Casa has 15cm in the town probably more now. Its been dumping down since about lunch time and still is. The next couple of weeks look awesome!!!! Cant wait!

Check out their website tomorrow, they should have a report at some point www.pasdelacasa-andorra.com/weather.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks a good 30 cm on the webcams! Nice little top up not too long before we fly out on the 29th...with more snow on the way before I fly I think I should be more concerned about working out how to put on snow chains rather than lack of new snow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's plenty of unstable weather in the Pyrenees at the moment which is refreshing the snow cover regularly. Jon Ford, there'll be plenty of new snow for your arrival, but I'm less sure about the blue skies afterwards. I'd expect some spells of nice weather though; it's not a bombardment like this time last year!

Dr. Will, if you're driving then chains are a must - but buy them from one of the garages at the entrance to Andorra (or bring cloth ones with you) rather than renting them; it'll be much cheaper. You can pick up some cloth ones in Andorra for as little as €25.

The Snowboard Cross World Cup was held at Arcalís (Andorra) last weekend. The course looked fantastic, and there was great weather for it.

At one point the action stopped though, and the rescue helicopter flew in. It turns out that Paul-Henri de Le Rue (brother of Xavier, who was also competing) had a collision and a truly nasty fall onto his head; he was placed in an induced coma for a day or so but happily seems to be making a swift recovery and is still going to Sochi.
ski holidays
nice update Pyremaniac, thanks
ski holidays
Pyremaniac wrote:

Dr. Will, if you're driving then chains are a must - but buy them from one of the garages at the entrance to Andorra (or bring cloth ones with you) rather than renting them; it'll be much cheaper. You can pick up some cloth ones in Andorra for as little as €25.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm still going to hire them though as am arriving at 11 pm, staying in a small village in the French Pyrenees foothills, so will probably be skiing most of the time in French Pyrenean resorts without too many facilities, and on the day we decide to head out to the Grandvalira we will be approaching it from the Pas de la Casa side using the Tunnel de Puymerons.
latest report
Friday is looking great for a nnice top up for those arriving on Sunday. 26cm forcasted at top of slopes and 20 at the bottom. 7 day forecast shows Monday & Tuesday as clear with little bit of snow on Monday. A long way off (as already changed...for the better in the last few hours), but looking like a nice start to the holiday. Let the skis see the slopes Little Angel
latest report
We have had anything up to between 50 and 60cm since the start of the weekend, and though it was sunny today the forecast is saying more tomorrow and potentially a bucket-full on Friday. The only down side is a slight rise in the freezing level later on Friday but this is due to drop again into the start of next week.

For those lucky enough to hit the slopes this morning the conditions would have been amazing (unfortunately not me as work kept me away).

Current now depths for our Central Pyreneene resorts are:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 80/140
Peyragudes: 75/150
Baqueira Beret: 135/205

Tons of powder to play in for a few days on very quiet slopes.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Looking for my friends to get hooked on the Pyrenees first time out and want to come back... as long as we don't spend most of our time stuck in snowed in traffic...but basically the more snowy it is the more I will go to the closest resort. After all with Font Romeu, Les Angles and Espace C'ambe d'Aze within 45 min drive (in good conditions) there is enough to keep us occupied for a few days (and they tend to be quite proactive in keeping the main road from Perpignan to Mont Louis clear)
latest report
Think I jinxed the Andorra snow fall. The 20cm forecasted for Friday has now dropped to 4cm. Bit of a rapid change. Oh well, 10cm today forecasted and snow showers all week so hopefully nice fresh snow and picturesque snow covered trees when we get there. (love skiing through a snowy forest). Very fortunate when you look at th century lack of snow fall in Austria. Was there this time last year and never seen so much snow. Checked out their forecast and webcams...they have no snow off the pistes. Just shows how much it can vary!
snow report
Approximately another 15cm in the last 24 hours. Like Jon Ford states above the massive snowfall predicted for Friday has backed off - but to be honest the current depths are fantastic and the snow conditions are great. More snow in the pipeline with a slight rise in temperatures on Saturday turning cooler again for next week.
latest report
thanks Ski Guide, Is that 15cm of fall in Andorra or Spain Pyrenees (or do they pretty much get the same snow?)
Hope its not too cloudy for us next week - some nice sunshine would be nice. Getting slightly different results from the 2 forecasts Im looking at. Snow forecast.com says sun/snow showers for Monday where J2ski.com just shows snow clouds.
Suppose it can all change very quickly. 24hrs ago, there was 20cm of snow forecasted for Friday..now its 3cm!
Will be a great holiday none the less
latest report
Jon Ford, Ski Guide is based in the central Pyrenees which tends to get a bit more snow than the eastern part of the range where Andorra and the Catalan resorts are. But the forecasts are showing plenty of snowfall from end to end over the coming days. Sunday looks like it'll be a sunny powder day, and hopefully the snow will let up a bit during next week too! For Monday onwards, I think the forecasts will only be reliable 24 hours out, at least for a few days; the instability of the coming low pressure front makes it hard to predict.

Dr. Will, I've been meaning to pay the Espace Cambre d'Aze a visit for a while now; it's regarded as hidden gem. I guess you know you can get a combined forfait for all of the Neiges Catalanes resorts?

Let us know how you both get on!
snow conditions
Espace Cambe d'Aze is certainly a hidden gem. The map doesn't look particularly impressive at first glance

But if you look at it carefully you will notice the reasonable altitude difference and different continuous red/blacks you can use. When I first skied there a couple if years ago, only finding out about it by recommendation of a local, I half jokingly described it as my second favourite resort after Chamonix! Complete absence of crowds, a real in the middle of the mountain feel with trees aplenty wildlife, glades, bowls etc, and the runs are deceptively long- lovely groomed cambered rolling reds, the central black is one of the steepest and most challenging blacks I have been on and the central red in the middle is in the middle of a great free ride area. Also some off piste and a lovely slope side restaurant in Eyne.

On the one hand I want it to stay hidden for its authentic local Pyrenean feel but on the other hand I desperately don't want it to go the same way as Puigmal, another of my faves!

Now just need to convince my drag lift phobic snowboarder friend to tolerate at least half a day in it!
snow report
Dr. Will, fantastic - you've convinced me! I'll definitely give it a go this season. (I never made it to Puigmal despite years of saying I would, and am now living to regret it.)
snow report
Hi. There is 3cm (30mm) of rain forecasted at 1700m level of soldeu forecasted Friday/saturday. No rain showing for 2200m. We are staying in soldeu which is at 1800m . We will be skiing doing the blue to soldeu a couple of times throughout next week....as looks a nice run. Will the (heavy) rain Friday night affect the snow. Or is 3cm rain not a threat. There is forecast of snow at 1700 Monday so hoping this will cover any damage. Sorry to ask/pester, just love talking about ski and snow
snow report
I wouldn't be unduly concerned. There's plenty still there. And freezing level low for all other days. Due to fly out Wed evening to the Pyrenees so should be a nice cover for me Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Central Pyrenees have certainly had a massive amount of snow this week. Both Superbagneres and Peyragudes reported another 30cm in the last 24 hours, and Baqueira a superb 60cm. Freezing levels climbing overnight and tomorrow which will mean rain on lower slopes, but only short lived as cooler weather will return on Monday with more snow to lower levels next week.

Should be a fantastic week for anyone arriving Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Baqueira updated their snow report to say that they actually had 1 metre of new snow in the last 24 hours. Amazing week
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Ski Guide, I saw that. Bonkers !
snow conditions
Update live from soldeu. First day of skiing has been great. Mainly stayed around soldeu but also did the long blue in el tarter. Ski conditions really good. A couple of compacted runs where the sun hadn't hit it yet but overall a great day. Legs aching now. Hopefully ok for tomorrow. Sunny this morBing with cloud and sun this afternoon. Bit of snow fallling as I type. Looking fwd to rest of week.
snow conditions
Snow falling all day here in the Central Pyrenees. First runs this morning were on compact pistes with about 5cm of fresh laying on top = empty slopes so perfect in every way. Flat light and poor visibility was the only down side, but with snow now down to 600m and forecast to continue for another couple of days we are going to have great conditions for a long while yet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking good! Seems that the 3 day mini break (Thursday to Saturday skiing days) in the Pyrenees is going to work out quite well...Can't wait till Thursday morning!
snow report
Update from soldeu. Quite possibly the best day skiing I have had in 6 holidays. This morBing was powder heaven even on the runs that were compacted yesterday. A lot of snow fall in last night created some amazing powder areas on piste (on the sides of the runs).. was so nice cruising through the untouched snow. Skiing over to groig for lunch. Even the red runs were pleasant. Late aftern and brought heavy cloud so a bit of flat light near the end. Cloud and light snow tomorrow so may not be as good as today but more sun promised for end of week. Such a great resort.
ski holidays
Jon Ford: sounds great. I think out of our 3 day mini break in the French Pyrenees we will do a day trip to Grandvalira on Friday. On the plane tonight!
snow conditions
Hi I'm in La Mongie Tourmalet area and skiing was heavenly today, sunny no wind, fresh powder and empty slopes. I skied thru till 2pm when the French school children hit the slopes en masse in good weather. As I was driving down from resort (snow chains essential for top 3/4km), I passed about 10 coach loads of school pupils coming up, got out just in time. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Dr. Will, pip and over. You'll love it. Had another great day. Forecasted cloud but was 70% sun, 30 cloud. See what tomorrow brings. Snowing as I type. Fast but not huge flakes. Should freshen runs up.
ski holidays
Happy days Very Happy. The broken wrist was declared not broken by the powers that be at 9am this morning. At 2.30pm I was on the mountain in El Tarter which, like all the previous days this week apparently, defied the forecast and was much sunnier and less cloudy than predicted. The conditions are ideal mid-winter fare, and those of us in the Pyrenees on Friday or Sunday will have a ball I think.
snow conditions
Looking fwd to tomorrow (friday). Forecast is showing sun all day in soldeu. We are skiing over to pas as only ventured as far as groig so far. Been bit cloudy today but sun broke through at times. Hoping for a nice one tomorrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy