Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like last winters snows could be due to be repeated...

Moderate snow falling to 1600m today, the first of the season in Bareges - Grand Tourmalet
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Rob, sorry to see what happened to the Hotel this summer - fingers crossed that the meteo are right with their long range forecast for this winter where I gather they are saying that it is going to be the coldest for decades. Good luck and best wishes to you and the family for the coming season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading to the Vallnord area (Arnisal) in March so hoping that it will be a repeat of last years snow!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
any ideas which resort will be the first to open in the western pyrenees?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

The Val'Daran (Baqueira) this morning. Photo taken from Salardu by the looks which I'm guessing is around 1200m

Photo from The BB Ski School.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing heavily along the central Pyrenees, wet snow falling down to 600m with some decent accumulations at resort level. Superbagneres and Peyragudes are scheduled to open the first weekend in December so this is certainly a nice early bonus to help establish a base.

More snow forecast on and off all week.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a difference a day can make.! Off to Baqueira for Christmas, and have been watching the cams.....more out of curiosity than anything. Fingers were firmly crossed
for skiable conditions at Xmas.....then suddenly its all white Toofy Grin Now everything is crossed in the hope that it stays that way snowHead
We were there back in Feb, and it was epic.....and I mean epic!

Couldn't happen again............could it??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happy start of winter, everybody!

snowskisnow wrote:
Couldn't happen again............could it??

Haha my thoughts exactly!!

Grandvalira (Andorra) received up to half a metre of snow yesterday, and all Pyrenean resorts are now white. Happy days Smile

I was pretty surprised to read a month or so ago that many resorts planned to open on November 30th. After the strange year we've had, with summer starting really, really late and lasting well into October, I really didn't expect an early winter, and was advising friends not to make bookings for the Spanish bank holiday weekend (Fri 6 Dec). How wrong I was!

Baqueira has just announced it's opening next weekend, 23rd November! They're really pushing the benefits of the snowmaking system they installed on Cara Nord a couple of years ago. I'm loving their new policy on resort dates; they used to be very inflexible about changing the published dates but now they seem to be more like Masella, extending the season to its limits. Talking of Masella, which loves to market itself as having the longest season in the Pyrenees, I doubt they'll allow themselves to be left behind here and so I'll be very surprised if they don't open next weekend too (or even a day earlier, just for the publicity!). They've already published their closing date as being 4th May, so an early opening would guarantee them the crown once again.

After two seasons in Baqueira and other nearby Spanish resorts, it's time for a change this year and so I'll be in Andorra - looking right over Grandvalira's El Tarter pistes in fact, at the newly-remodelled Àliga black piste, which is now almost guaranteed to become a FIS downhill world championship piste in one of the coming seasons. The mountain looked sad on Thursday when I was up there, with the new route creating a big scar, but of course that'll be seeded over next summer, and as of yesterday it's all white anyway! I wonder what they're going to do with the old route? Naturally, I hope they'll leave it unpisted and it'll be a nice little return to base. I expect I'll also be spending a lot of time in Arcalís, where I hope the Creussans hill will be a worthy substitute for la Peülla, as well as hopefully discovering Andorra's backcountry options. I'm determined to visit some of the French resorts this year too.

I'm absolutely gutted that Puigmal isn't opening this winter though due to its little problem of a €9 million debt. It's incredible to see how many of the Pyrenean resorts have eyewatering levels of debt - Aramón, the semi-public holding for various Aragonese resorts, owes €80m - and you have to wonder how on earth they can ever repay them. Puigmal is tiny, though with apparently great freeriding down from the peak at 2900m (or you can even go down the backside into Val de Núria), and I wonder if it'll ever open again. I'm kicking myself for not ever having visited it when I had the chance.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes winter really has arrived, and though a little too early for some (the locals look skywards and quote of "if snow is on the ground before December 15th - it will be a bad winter) but with almost 50cm at resort level for both Superbagneres and Peyragudes, and with more snow on the horizon next week - we can say that the scheduled opening on the first week of December should kick off the 2013/14 season in style.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy [/b]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The race begins Very Happy

Les Angles has announced they'll open the whole resort this coming weekend, and Masella is saying they'll open a decent amount. Porté Puymorens will open partially one day earlier, on Friday - at 8:30am Toofy Grin, no doubt as a defensive measure to retain first place even if Masella comes forward a day!

Together with Baqueira, that makes four so far which are opening ahead of schedule. The majority of the other Pyrenean resorts will open on the 30th.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
any sign of a resort opening in the western pyrenees this weekend?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's kicking off now! Great little Vallter (the Pyrenees' easternmost resort) will also be opening (in full I think!) this weekend, with almost 1 metre of powder Toofy Grin. La Molina will accompany Masella - though I don't expect the link between them will be running. Baqueira has extended its skiable area to the whole of the Baqueira sector.

raymann wrote:
any sign of a resort opening in the western pyrenees this weekend?

The best of the awesome snowfall of the last week or so has been in the Eastern Pyrenees (and given that eg Vallter almost went the way of Puigmal this season, after last year only receiving its first decent snowfall at the very end of the season, who can begrudge it!).

But Grand Tourmalet have announced they're opening the Pic du Midi for freeride on Sunday! snowHead And (like everywhere else it seems) they're doing an agressive promotional price! Just €20. I'm mad for it; anybody else on here willing and able to go?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Classic! Masella have announced they're opening tomorrow (Thursday), an unconventional opening day if ever there was one, but oh so coincidentally one day before Porté Wink.

Sierra Nevada's going for it on Saturday too... as is Grandvalira (Andorra) where I will get to baptize my season ticket Toofy Grin. They've gone for an unusual approach: free entrance, but limited to 1000 tickets plus season ticket holders. After the weekend they (and Baqueira, Sierra Nevada and maybe Porté) will close until the "real" opening day on the 30th.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spectacular conditions right now, chucking down really hard in vall d'aran and al northern mountains. At the final of the episode we'll have a consistent base above 1 metre... probably more in vall d'aran.

The partial opening of Baqueira this weeken could be really interesting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some back country action from Baqueira. Some of the best conditions for that run that I've seen snowHead

One Run Bagergue 20/11/2013 from Millan
http://vimeo.com/79936392
latest report
http://www.zapiks.fr/gavage-de-novembre-en-andorr-1.html
snow report
http://skipass.fr/p/imagebank/1/4/6/146923.jpg

ski holidays
Porte Puymorens
snow conditions
Quote:
AndAnotherThing.."]Some back country action

Nice Toofy Grin Looking very snowy again this morning, with a good number of roads closed in the valley.
Good little app on the Playstore...search Baqueira. Webcams, weather, updates on piste and lift openings etc.
Currently, the first thing I look at every morning Cool
snow conditions
Hi Ski Guide, me plus a few others are staying in Montrejeau over new year and are looking at Bag du Louchons for 2-3 days skiing. A novice or two, and some wannabe good skiers. Wld that resort be our best bet? We'll have cars so mobile.
Ta!
latest report
Les Angles, november 22nd
latest report
Muy bien
snow report
It was an unbeatable opening day for Grandvalira (Andorra) on Saturday: sunny, with waist-deep snow, and just a handful of season-ticket and invitation holders there.

Nobody seemed to pay much attention to the fact that the Àliga piste has been re-routed wink. Whilst that new dog-leg format is fun, the old route coming straight down was, of course, unpisted and was a great way to end the day. I guess that's going to be a regular for this season!

The season in the Pyrenees really gets underway this coming weekend, although currently Sunday looks like it'll be much nicer weather than Saturday.
ski holidays
A few from this morning at the Tourmalet - Bareges

snow conditions
Great pics, all of them!
ski holidays
Beautiful sunshine all across the Pyrenees at the moment. Somewhat high temperatures, though usual for the time of year. The snow is holding up great though, with many resorts fully open or close enough and with pistes (and even off-piste) in excellent condition. The Spanish bank holiday weekend that starts on Friday - which is one of the key dates in the Pyrenean calendar - is going to be the most successful in years.
snow conditions
DoubleBombardino wrote:
Hi Ski Guide, me plus a few others are staying in Montrejeau over new year and are looking at Bag du Louchons for 2-3 days skiing. A novice or two, and some wannabe good skiers. Wld that resort be our best bet? We'll have cars so mobile.
Ta!

If you are in Montrejeau then I would spend a day at Superbagneres (park your car in the town and catch the gondola) then if you feel like you are up for it, hit Peyragudes which is only another 20 minutes further. Either way head back into Luchon for a post ski beer at Billys which is a great bar with a couple of fun owners.

Enjoy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
The Spanish holidays have kicked off with amazing conditions here in the Central Pyrenees. Clear blue skies and lower snow depths of around a metre and upper snow depths of two metres. The conditions at both Superbagneres and Peyragudes are amazing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any news from the Vallnord area? Are conditions generally the same across the Pyrenees?
snow conditions
Ski Guide, thanks v much, will bear that in mind, esp the bar advice!
ski holidays
The sunshine continues! It was a beautiful weekend across the Pyrenees - and very crowded in Andorra at least. The place is still almost empty mid-week though.

The pistes at Grandvalira mostly remain in excellent condition, but the off-piste is almost dead now, with everything tracked out and hardened, although there are still areas (typically which receive no sun at all) which are enjoyable enough.

unsubtlewoods, conditions in Vallnord are more or less the same as at Grandvalira, although with slightly thinner snow depths on piste. I plan to go to Arcalís on Saturday so I'll report back then!

Currently, it looks like the western Pyrenees might get some snowfall on Friday night, but it doesn't look all that certain that it'll find its way over to the eastern side. I think it might be at least a week before the next big dump here.
ski holidays
Nice new powder yesterday - I think I'm right in saying that the Pyrenees are still No1 in Europe for snow depth at the moment? We have 1.5m at the top of the pistes, 70cm down the bottom with a nice powder top.
latest report

This week has seem some fantastic conditions across the resorts of the central Pyrenees. Powder on Thursday, glorious conditions on Friday and for the start of the main Christmas holidays things really could not be better.

Possibly more snow over the 25th and 26th along with more sun - so holiday makers should be very happy indeed.

snow report
Heavy snow has been falling for most of the day with snow down to 600m. With clearing conditions overnight we can expect a powder day tomorrow with anything from between 20 to 30cm of fresh to play in.

snow conditions
As expected amazing conditions this morning. Hit the slopes early, mainly off-piste in superb powder. Peyragudes was busy but not overly so in the morning. Between 20cm and 30cm of fresh on top of a very good base has left near perfect conditions. More light snow forecast for tomorrow.

latest report
Snow levels holding up well despite the warmer day temperatures. Freeze thaw over the last few days has allowed the snow cannons to continue overnight and with a bullet hard base the snow depths on piste are not varying much. Snow forecast today and overnight before returning back to milder weather.

Strong winds from the tail of the storm that has hit the UK has closed a number of lifts today, but this will die down overnight.

Current snow depths in the Central Pyrenees:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 100/40
Peyragudes: 140/90
Baqueira Beret: 195/145

With the end of the French holidays the slopes next week and going to be very quiet indeed as this has been a record breaking holiday season for our resorts with a reported 20% increase in visitors - the February and March holidays should be manic.
ski holidays
agree with Ski Guide's take on the conditions....had a v nice day at Saint Lary on the 31st, super dry and grippy snow (and a resort that seems to attract v low %'s of off piste skiers), followed by Peyragudes on the 2nd, which had some rock hard pistes lower down first thing but by noon was a real pleasure. Former resort had a bit more 'character', helped by lots of trees, but latter much better lift infrastructure. Would v happily return to either. thanks for the earlier advice Ski Guide and all the best for the rest of the season - was pissing down rain as we left Montrejeau and hope that was falling as snow for you in the mountains...
snow report
DoubleBombardino wrote:
agree with Ski Guide's take on the conditions....had a v nice day at Saint Lary on the 31st, super dry and grippy snow (and a resort that seems to attract v low %'s of off piste skiers), followed by Peyragudes on the 2nd, which had some rock hard pistes lower down first thing but by noon was a real pleasure. Former resort had a bit more 'character', helped by lots of trees, but latter much better lift infrastructure. Would v happily return to either. thanks for the earlier advice Ski Guide and all the best for the rest of the season - was pissing down rain as we left Montrejeau and hope that was falling as snow for you in the mountains...

To be honest I have not really been a fan of St Lary, all too disjointed for me. Some nice bars in the town though Very Happy

The heavy rain at town level was indeed falling as snow at resort level allowing me a fantastic few hours of off piste at Luchon-Superbagneres this morning. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Still way to mild for this time of year, though looking at the wider forecast this is the same almost everywhere. Colder weather due from mid-month from what I can see. Very Happy
ski holidays
Ski Guide, yep understand that, and maybe why it seemed to have few strong skiers.

Shld have added that the spa at Luchon was a real treat post Peyragudes. A real steal at e13 for grotto steam, and 2 spa/baths/pools.

We missed the bars - but made up for it with NYE action wink

Glad u got the white stuff.
snow report
have commented to get this post ni "my posts" so I can find it quickly. Going Andorra in 2.5wks so any Andorra snow reports would be great (Im presuming they are the Pyronnese too) (sorry if they arent)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy