Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brit Ski Hosting Ban in France has ruined my fun!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

It's been a long time since I posted. Due to the changes in French law about Brits doing ski hosting I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm interested to hear of a few practical options as each year I have skied with Mark Warner in Val d'Isere for many years and now there's no more ski hosting, which kinda makes booking with them a waste of time. The alternative of organising ourselves seems quite lame especially when non of my friends ski. They suggested Cormayeur but I'm not sure if it's that good. I am an advanced skiier and don't want a resort that's too easy.

Can anyone offer some alternative suggestions so that I don't hang my skis up this year.

Cheers

Paul
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are they no solo ski companies or groups along the lines of snow disciples who organise snowboard trips?

what about the ski club of GB, they still run trips dont they?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cyberil, you're an advanced skier, so you know how to read a map and you probably know Val D'Isere like the back of your hand. Why do you need a 19.y.o who's only been there 20 minutes to show you where to ski?

I'm off to Val for the first time in January - perhaps can you recommend some nice spots you've been taken to...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-10-13 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cyberil, Courmayeur isn't the biggest place in the world but has some good piste skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Contrary to popular belief it is possible to have fun skiing on your own, with people you might meet outside of an organised ski group or even, and it's a bit of a challenge admittedly, in the anarchic freeform benevolent dictatorship of something like a sH bash or other large group trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cyberil, alternatives as I see it

Book into a ski school, something like tdcski or mountain masters in Val D'Isere http://www.tdcski.com/ http://mountain-masters.com/

Hire a guide for a day or two and you'll hopefully meet some like minded folk - http://www.alpineexperience.com/

Go on a snowheads bash.....

Or hook up with some other solo skiers if your on your own??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check out New Generations Pro Explore, a full day of guiding with tips.

http://www.skinewgen.com/ski-snowboad-lessons/pro-range/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also head off and ski on my own. I often then meet up with people and do a few runs with them. Some friendships are made like that... new ski buds Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look at some of the Austrian resorts, it's only France that is affected by the ski hosting.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eddiethebus wrote:
are they no solo ski companies or groups along the lines of snow disciples who organise snowboard trips?

what about the ski club of GB, they still run trips dont they?

or offer hosting if you don't want to fork out for a freshtracks trip.

That's why I joined them in the first place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are snowHeads bashes which give you a huge variety of people from which to choose your company each day. Some will ski better than you, some worse, some will know the area, some will have an app for that etc.

Or, enter details of any trips in our new snowBuddy system here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98245
It's being designed to help snowHeads find each other in resort.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark Warner also go to St Anton and still offer ski hosting there?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Ski Club of GB have reps in all the bigger resorts who ski with groups 6 days per week. Look on the SCGB website to find out which bar the rep will hold his office hour in, where you can talk to him/her and where they meet in the morning. They are not affected by this French crackdown. http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubleaders/default.aspx#.Uk70Wq6vcyE
The rep will post his programme in several places in the resort - different days are usually at different standards and can include some off-piste. However, often the same people turn up and if so they may just go with the same lot again. Just turn up and you can ski a day free. If you want to carry on you have to join the club but there are a number of benefits (cut price in shops etc)
They also run their own ski holidays at different ski standards - some with just reps to lead you around, some with instruction and some off piste with guides : http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/default.aspx#.Uk7z9q6vcyE . I have been on lots of them in the past.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cyberil, have a look at http://www.friendshiptravel.com/ski-and-snowboard.html, it's singles ski holidays, though not everyone is single, if that a makes sense! There are people on there who's' partner doesn't ski, they do various destinations. I should be on commission for the number of times I have promoted them. I haven't been with them but came across them on two Mark Warner holidays.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cyberil, everyone is still doing ski hosting everywhere except France. Apparently you can go skiing in Austria, if people on here can be believed - I should give that a go if I were you. They have apple strudel over there as well.
latest report
Hi Paul
We have qualified guides in Colfosco & Cervinia worling along the same lines as MW. Maybe you would like Italy for a change? Cheers Ruth
snow conditions
cyberil, club med do all-inc lessons and I have heard to a really decent standard including off-piste guiding at their higher groups. That would give you the social aspect maybe?
ski holidays
Paul, youre welcome to join our mixed group to Tignes 2nd Feb. So far 10 of us, range of abilities including advanced skiers. A fun group of people, some of us have skied together for a few years but always ready to add new people.
latest report
Hi, I totally agree that the end of hosting is a pain. Its not about knowing where you are going or even being a decent skier but being out there with someone else to enjoy the experience. I have been a ski host and the French are full of it as I did nothing more than a tour guide anywhere else with the only difference being I was wearing a pair of skis. As for skiing with others I would advise having a look at this forum, I have organised trips with my regular ski pals and we often put up an advert to see if we can add to our happy band as people drop off for various reasons over the years. No need to go on a solo trip just take the plunge and join one of the ski groups that advertise here it has worked out well for me in the past and I made some really good friends too.

My group is off to Les Arcs for New Year and maybe the Altitude comedy festival in March. Depending on our numbers we will post for new people or just give details of the trip and happy to meet up with like minded people on the slopes or for an apres or two. Take the plunge and even if you get some odd people its good for a story in the bar on the next trip!
ski holidays
Bigrobski, as you're such a sociable bunch, pop the details of your trips into snowBuddy.
No commitment to ski with anyone but just letting each other know when we're all about.
snow report
Next we will see snowBuddy being challenged in the French courts...
ski holidays
Let them try! Twisted Evil

Wink
snow report
Thanks everyone for your replies. My skiing fun was saved last week when an old friend called out of the blue and wondered if I want to join a group of 16 to go to Morzine in Feb half term. Although not an ideal time of year I screamed 'YES' down the phone. Thanks again!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy