Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Epic Race

Poster: A snowHead
Very tempted

http://mtnweekly.com/epic-race-ski-ride-26-resorts-win-lifetime-epic-pass-57877

Austria : St. Anton, Lech, Zürs, St. Christoph, Stuben

France : Courchevel, La Tania, Méribel, Brides-les-Bains, Les Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville, Val Thorens, Orelle

Switzerland : Verbier

U.S. of A. : Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin Eldora, Canyons, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton

Start in Europe.

Head to the States with a stopover in Minneapolis.

Get the Epic done and combine with Mountain Collective Pass and the pics and stories could fill a season or two worth of Powder magazine

http://mountaincollective.com/

Alta, Snowbird, Aspen Snowmass, Jackson Hole, Mammoth, Whistler Blackcomb, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, Mt Brighton is fine as a place to ski after work but I wouldn't go out of my way to ski there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The big picture rjs, the big picture Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big picture is a big gamble to get it done if there's people taking it seriously and highly dependent on early Euro openings
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of course it's a gamble Smile

$1000 for the passes
$1500 for the flights
$50 / day accommodation
$50 / day food

1 week for European resorts
1 month for the US

Approx. US$ 7,000 for :

1. Unforgettable experience
2. Epic Pass for life
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:

You would need a stop in Detroit too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if i had the time, i would give it a go, done a good portion of the resorts in my time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

You would need a stop in Detroit too.

Yeah looking at it and to avoid backtracking

Europe to Detroit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
US openings will be earlier so you'd have to do Denver through to Reno back via Minneapolis and Detroit - back to GVA - Verbier is easy to tick but 3 vallees needs a few days and then Arlberg 3 days too under the rules. Would be done by a couple of days after the last village in Arlberg/3 vallees open - not requiring Warth mind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How many resorts can I ski each day?
Safety comes first.  Racers are required to ski no more than one resort per day in the US and no more than two resorts per day in Europe so they can capture and enjoy the full experience of each mountain.

That will certainly slow things down a bit, i could have done all of the 3v resorts in one day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I'm struggling to see the point (as an organised challenge) - it requires nothing more than adequate time and cash budget. And I don't understand the reward (I get the lifetime pass thing but that's not that interesting anyway, and I doubt the lifetime element)...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just read the FAQ. In the words of the Dragon's Den "I'm Out"

Quote:
If I win the race, does my Epic Pass for Life include all 26 of these mountains?

Race winners receiving an Epic Pass for life will be able to ski resorts operated by Vail Resorts in any given year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, it is presumably a marketing ploy where they get

1. a number of people rich enough to buy the season epic pass
2. a free story they can then pimp on to whomever they feel

I can see the pass being lifetime, most people would be able to get significant use out of such a thing to make it a big problem and whilst i havent looked at the t's and c's of the epic pass but it wouldnt surprise me if you had to ski in the base mountain at least once to enable the other resorts to be activated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you live anywhere near Summit County, Colorado and you have more than 10 years skiing left in your legs then it's worth it IMHO.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, Yeah but if VR keep signing up reciprocal resorts to epic pass every year you'd expect to keep being able to use those benefits as well (not unlimited in Europe but still a perk) These lifetime passes are necessarily lifetime just lifetime of the existing corporate owner - I think Killington passholders got done over a few years ago.

Anyway the contest is a gimmick to attract more attention to the Epic Pass in the Oct/Nov sales window and get the message out that VRs are open for business early November so book your Xmas vacation now etc.
snow conditions
Hmmm, a little like the lifetime ski passes that shareholders of a certain Italian area received, were limited and now get nothing from?

Yep, it smacks of the Hoover self financing marketing scheme in the UK in ~1996 with free flightsm baggage etc, for buying a washing machine that went horribly wrong when the mktg genii translated US promotional expectations (you get nothing you don't pay for) to the UK...

Many (all?) of the US airlines used to offer lifetime unlimited use subscriptions... Even though paid for and contracted I don't think any scheme still exists..
ski holidays
Those who think this is possible and can be done on the cheap will do it and be in the game. Those that self select out because it sounds expensive or impossible will and they won't be in the game. I suspect you could expand that to other parts of life also. There are ways to do this for $3-4k all in. The cost many have not identified is the tax liability of the prize. This is probably the single biggest expense.
snow report
Those who think this is possible and can be done on the cheap will do it and be in the game. Those that self select out because it sounds expensive or impossible will and they won't be in the game. I suspect you could expand that to other parts of life also. There are ways to do this for $3-4k all in. The cost many have not identified is the tax liability of the prize. This is probably the single biggest expense.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
US openings will be earlier so you'd have to do Denver through to Reno back via Minneapolis and Detroit - back to GVA - Verbier is easy to tick but 3 vallees needs a few days and then Arlberg 3 days too under the rules. Would be done by a couple of days after the last village in Arlberg/3 vallees open - not requiring Warth mind.

Why would the Arlberg take 3 days, from what I can see of the rules, it's easy enough to ski the listed parts of the Arlberg in a day, I've pretty much done that when doing the weisse ring in Lech on a morning off when working in St Anton. May depend on which bits they want photographing (doesn't seem to be listed yet), and also if a condition is that lifts have to be operating on the day you visit. Given the weather here (St Anton) and pictures friends have posted on Facebook from St Christoph, that's not far off skiable if you are prepared to hike. Accom cheap too since pre season (or free if you know the right people).

Be interesting to follow this, not sure how many people will have the time/funds for it.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Why would the Arlberg take 3 days, from what I can see of the rules, it's easy enough to ski the listed parts of the Arlberg in a day, I've pretty much done that when doing the weisse ring in Lech on a morning off when working in St Anton. May depend on which bits they want photographing (doesn't seem to be listed yet), and also if a condition is that lifts have to be operating on the day you visit. Given the weather here (St Anton) and pictures friends have posted on Facebook from St Christoph, that's not far off skiable if you are prepared to hike. Accom cheap too since pre season (or free if you know the right people).

Be interesting to follow this, not sure how many people will have the time/funds for it.
snow conditions
Sitter, More than possible to nail the whole Arlberg in a day given that Warth and Sonnenkopf aren't included (in fact I've done it on days when was only really bumbling around) but rules say only 2 named resorts in a day (probably to discourage risk related to speed accidents). I'm kinda assuming that given its a lift pass competition the lifts actually have to be open to count but I must confess I haven't looked into the minutiae as I don't fancy schlepping to Detroit just to clock some turns on some (probable) pimple etc.
snow conditions
Sitter, Fair play to you, if you can ski the whole of Arlberg in a day, I've been 50 weeks and am still discovering new lines! wink

fatbob, Ditto!
snow conditions
You know very well that isn't the contest - it's not about enjoyment it's about ticklists.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Sitter, Fair play to you, if you can ski the whole of Arlberg in a day, I've been 50 weeks and am still discovering new lines! wink

fatbob, Ditto!

Haha, true, I'm here for my 6th season and still haven't skied/boarded the whole area, especially now Warth is included. Just going by the areas mentioned in the competition, only says Anton, Cristoph, Stuben, Zürs and Lech, very doable in a day!
snow report
Vail surprised everyone a couple of days ago and threw a free season pass for next year to anyone in the race who completes the requirements this season. This is in addition to the 10 lifetime passes for the 1st 10 to finish. Pretty cool.

It has been a good experience so far. I met up with Klaus at Denver Airport for the first time and hit A-Basin. We met up with another competitor there and today we hit Keystone and will meet up with another competitors. Snow is falling in CO. 6 inches yesterday and a few more today. I did a short summary here on day 1. http://epicskiandride.com/day-1-arapahoe-basin-snow-report/
ski holidays
Well the race ended and I didnt wind but I had a blast doing it. I tacked a few of the questions form the forums in my final blog post. If they do it next year I'll be working to find a way to make it possible again. Awesome trip. Great skiers.

http://epicskiandride.com/the-epic-race-how-did-it-end/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy