Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Definitely end of term feeling here in Morzine. Skiing today was fine, but definitely soft and slushy (which I like, actually!). Park was soft, meaning that falling over is not so bad. Icy first thing up in Fornet - due to lack of sun, that lasted surprisingly until nearly 11am up high.

My season ends next week, when I have to go home and be a grown up. Not fair.

Plenty of fine piste skiing left - it looks a bit ugly, brown, and slushy, but wax your skis and have fun! Better than a day in the office, at home, or in a snow dome...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meteo Suisse forecast update last night at 9pm ish was still saying snow on Tuesday, despite all evidence to the contrary - but this morning it has come into line with all the other data & forecast - ie mild or very mild next week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Harry Flashman wrote:

Plenty of fine piste skiing left - it looks a bit ugly, brown, and slushy, but wax your skis and have fun! Better than a day in the office, at home, or in a snow dome...

Seconded.

Is there a thumbs up emoticon?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely sunny morning in Les Gets. Over to the Chamossiere, via the Choucas and waited for the lift to open finally at 9.45, very quiet, quite a lot of big piste-basher ridges in places and the second time down there were two pisteurs with large shovels flattening them. Eventually over to Nyon - Troncs lift running, but no Nyon lift and that slope is now closed, big café there shut, Pre Fevre lift closed. Back into the Rosta bowl, Mrytille just had soft bumps on it, Melezes ok, back for a drink at the Grand Cry and home by car from the Chavannes. Lots of small people around who are having a ball. Few more clouds in the sky now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latest lift closing info from Chatel...

Barbossine closes on Sunday 6th April
Super Chatel closes Sunday 13th April

Most of Linga / PLJ open 14th to 21st April

From 22nd to 27th April - just Cornebois, Chaux des Rosées, Rochassons and Pierre-Longue open plus
- keyset, Rubis, de Covagny and télécorde
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pamski, how much longer are you staying? Les Saisies is very quiet with a definite "end of term" air but I note a few shops which were shut during the week are opening fully from tomorrow, so they are expecting some Easter holiday visitors.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at Piste Map and have found Linga. Where is PLJ? We have booked local lift passes for Avoriaz area only at the minute.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, probably staying until after Easter, maybe then Tuesday or Wednesday. Just depends on the weather doesn't it! If its sunny and we can do two or three hours first thing over at Avoriaz and Chatel then we are quite happy - then back to the chalet and reading in the sun, going for walks, or a bit more painting etc. But if it gets very wet, grey and miserable we might return before that. Let's hope not.

alangibson73, PLJ - Pre la Joux - lots of info on http://info.chatel.com/opening-dates-and-hours.html which seems a much more informative and easy to navigate than the PDS sites.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you very much.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alangibson73 wrote:
Looking at Piste Map and have found Linga. Where is PLJ? We have booked local lift passes for Avoriaz area only at the minute.

PLJ = Pre La Joux - effectively next door to Avoriaz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alangibson73,
Quote:

We have booked local lift passes for Avoriaz area only at the minute.

before Christmas when the links were not open to Switzerland they were selling an Avoriaz/Chatel lift pass which seemed a really good idea. Not of interest to us as we have our PDS season passes - but for others in Avoriaz at the time it looked suitable. I have no idea if something similar will figure now.

There are often all sorts of special deals late in the season so you may be able to upgrade to PDS so that you can ski over on the Chatel side.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
are all the links from avoriaz - champery etc still ok? planning to drive to champery tomorrow, ski over to avoriaz and same in reverse on sunday am...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
out next week - staying in Morzine and with kids having lessons on Morzine side

any thoughts on getting just Morzine-Les Gets passes (i.e. what is the snow like there?)....
...vs full Portes du Soleil passes, largely to access Avoriaz where I am imagining the snow will be much better.... Fornet etc?
Thoughts, oh wise ones?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ao all pretty normal for the time of year then snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MaxiMac, I'm out tomorrow and I'm glad we got PdS passes. Bear in mind you'll probably have to get up to the higher bits of Avoriaz and then back to Morzine in time to pick your kids up though.
snow report
Thanks Michael - I was thinking more of ski Morzine in the morning and then some Avoriaz in the afternoon with only a quick lunch... new Prodains lift means access a lot quicker via that route (although still need a bus)
ski holidays
MaxiMac, sounds like a plan, but it might be good to get some on the ground advice as to how Avoriaz is holding up after (say) 1.00. In fact I'd like to know too...
snow report
MaxiMac, I would get full PDS passes to keep your options open - but I hope that the prices are reduced now. Mt Chery in Les Gets is going to be closed from after Sunday.

I don't know about the Prodains lift - we have just checked on the Avoriaz website and it says its open - but that could mean, as yesterday, its the big old thing going up and down. Sorry not to be more help on that. Super Morzine bubble is going ok and Tetras run down to it is open but Zore is closed now.

I am sure that there should be some more gung-ho people around than me to give their thoughts, - I think I am the founder member of the Knee Preservation Society and tend to go out with the first lift and knock off by 1 when it gets soft.
ski holidays
Pamski, my understanding is that lift pass prices were reduced after the end of the french hols, can't remember the date but there's something on the website Smile I will join you in the Knee Preservation (and long late lunch) Society Laughing
ski holidays
sarah, yes you are right, David has just read bits out to me from the website about reductions each week. The lift offices can be pretty good about making sure that you get the best deal.

My knees have so far survived another year and just a couple more weeks to go so I don't want it all to fall apart now!!
ski holidays
Pamski, they were running the old cablecar from Prodains? I imagined it had been decommissioned...
latest report
under a new name, yup -lots of banner signs out around Avoriaz saying Prodains Express temporarily shut, we didn't see it move at all, and then we saw the old one winging its way up.
ski holidays
Pamski, crikey. An act of desperation.
snow conditions
I wondered why the cars were still in station when I was there a couple of weeks ago, a backup plan?

Also is it only me that thinks the top station of the Prodains Express looked a little unfinished? Lots of uncovered aggregate looking very unattractive.
snow report
Prodains express seems to be running this morn. Also, with cloud cover, the snow is grand, no issues at all on piste. Foggy up high though!
snow report
coddlesangers,
Quote:

Prodains express seems to be running this morn

that is good - perhaps it was being repaired the day that we intended to go on it! We have just been to Chamonix for a bit of non-skiing, the sun was out in the town but it looked cloudy up above. Bit of cloud cover will help to retain the snow.
ski holidays
Rain at all altitudes in Chatel last night and wet snow today on piste. The cloudy and very mild weather is not good for snow retention unfortunately, but at least it was dry today. Hopefully a return of the sunshine tomorrow.
Super Chatel was deserted this afternoon.
snow report
Cheers for all the comments above. Have just plumped for full PdS passes.
And good to hear the Prodains Express is back in action!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a difference a few days make! There are people around again.... over on the Chaux Fleurie which opened as we glided down to it, having extricated ourselves from the top of the Ardent Gondola which seemed to have a coachload of teenagers who had got that far, put on their skis and were just standing waiting for further instruction, completely blocking the area. Down into Plaine Dranse - lots of hard ridges to avoid at that time of day but fine, and the lovely Perdrix Blanche red which always seems to be deserted early on. Over then to Linga - I got stopped by a crowd of Dutch, I think, women who wanted their photos taken - took me so long that I got a phone call from OH who wanted to know my coffee order at the Schuss at the bottom.
Return trip along 'that' track before Lindarets was very chopped up and will be a challenge as a blue run later on this afternoon. Such a lovely morning, even if we did have one or two people in front of us at some of the chairs!!! that we stopped at the Ferme and a glass of Rose along with a glass of water was in order.

Last morning on Mt Chery yesterday - very much the right decision to close that sector but more people there than we have seen for ages - all fond farewells to a very special area.
snow conditions
Quote:

and the lovely Perdrix Blanche red which always seems to be deserted early on.

You must be mistaken Pamski, that run is the worst in the PLJ sector, always busy with hideous snow and to be avoided at all costs wink
ski holidays
Super warm again today and lots of Belgian and Brits about. Might be a smidgen of snow towards the top tomorrow - but nothing very exciting by the looks of it.

W/end forecast v v uncertain, but maybe a bit chillier with perhaps a little snow to lower down the mountain.
latest report
Chatel Snow, I am bringing it Fri/ Sat snowHead
snow conditions
Last day to tomorrow before heading home! Sad after 3 great months here.

Spending all day in the park, I think...depending on weather...
ski holidays
My first turns of the season this week and really enjoying it. Some of the pistes lower down are a fun challenge, to the bottom of pleney as interesting as back country.

The pistes by raverrettes and tetes were virtually untouched and very well maintained. Chammoisere black closed yesterday but did the red a few times and good snow cover up there and not soft. Don't think I've queued more than 30 seconds over in morzine and lots of runs to ourselves. Dusting of snow up top tomorrow hopefully.
ski holidays
My first turns of the season this week and really enjoying it. Some of the pistes lower down are a fun challenge, to the bottom of pleney as interesting as back country.

The pistes by raverrettes and tetes were virtually untouched and very well maintained. Chammoisere black closed yesterday but did the red a few times and good snow cover up there and not soft. Don't think I've queued more than 30 seconds over in morzine and lots of runs to ourselves. Dusting of snow up top tomorrow hopefully.
ski holidays
Moderate to heavy rain here in Chatel at 1200m - no sign of the snow/rain limit - so is potentially near to or above 2000m at the moment. May come down a little bit for a time this morning.
snow report
Its been belting down with rain here in Les Gets for what seems like hours but just slackened off a bit. 5.5C
Very glad that we made the most of the day yesterday.
snow report
Nothing of much interest in terms of snow for the next week - however ECMWF brings real winter back for Good Friday! Too far off to be taken seriously but would mean an interesting Easter Weekend for us (and the UK!).

GFS very different though and continues the theme of the season going out with a whimper!
snow report
Chatel Snow, or indeed summer arriving early wink
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Chatel Snow, or indeed summer arriving early wink

Yep - Must admit I have been enjoying the warm weather. So different to where I am from where sunny and still days are rare - there is always a nagging breeze (or gale) in NW Wales on the coast!

Here you really get the benefit of any sunshine, as it nearly always feels warm in the sunshine, even in January!

Be nice to get some snow before the end though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy