Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Guernseyfreerider, snowshoes? See if she can get lessons to get her there? Getting back she may be able to use the chair - she only needs one...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She both of you(as if she does not know here way it would help to have a guide) could hire some snow shoes and walk down into the linderet via combes de florets or through the stash. Probably doable, the good news is that it all downhill Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This link:

http://www.avoriaz.com/fr/skier/tout-pour-skier/forfaits

contains the following text:

Forfait Piéton-Fondeur
Ce forfait donne accès aux remontées mécaniques suivantes :Télécabine d'Ardent (monté et descente), télésiège de la Léchère (montée uniquement), télécabine de Super - Morzine (montée et descente), télésiège de Zore (montée et descente), télésiège du Plateau (montée uniquement), Express des Prodains (montée et descente), télésiège des Lindarets (montée uniquement).

Which suggests that pedestrians (or crosscountry skiers) can use the telesiege des Lindarets to get back up to the ridge above Avoriaz. Telesiege du Plateau would get you from the Prodains gondola arrival to up near the snowpark (so only a short walk up to the ridge from there) and then a walk down to Lindarets. It's certainly do-able.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah wrote:
Chatel Snow, It will dump down friday 11th and sat 12th, I have consulted my crystal ball snowHead

Hints of colder weather around that period from the latest GFS and ECMWF charts today.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We enjoyed one of the last days this season on Mt Chery as closing on Sunday. Very quiet up there first thing but got a little busier as the morning went on but rarely anyone on the same slope or at the same lift.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pamski, MC closing Sunday or Monday?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
igLou, well we think that it is the 6th, which is Sunday - meaning open on Sunday and closed on Monday. Do you remember that last ski we had down there a couple of years ago on closing day - great ridges on the bottom of Marmotte. Its lovely there right now - we ski the front first of all and then Lievre and Marmotte and keep going round - very boring for some people but it suits us. The views when you stand by the Belvedere are just wonderful - really brought home to us when we had some friends staying a couple of weeks ago and they just kept remarking on them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski, Sad We were thinking it was Monday and might have made the effort to get there.

T made the same comment about the views this afternoon. Not sure we will get organised in time to get there on Sunday as T's girlfriend will need boots etc. Maybe we will see how drive goes on Saturday first. I never get bored with Marmotte/Lievre Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
igLou, in that case I will check and double check - as you know the website round here is pretty hopeless.... you have to burrow around to find simple things like lift openings - they said at the Chanterelle this morning that they just get the info from the pisteurs. Do get in touch if you come over this way - it would be an early start I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pamski, yes and need to get more info on GF's level though I think she will be fine and it's probably just a case of getting ski legs back. Maybe she could hire in Les Gets for just the day and we can sort out boots locally for the rest of the week. Boys are keen to get to Grande Ourse before it changes! Will check out forecast nearer the time too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chatel Snow wrote:
sarah wrote:
Chatel Snow, It will dump down friday 11th and sat 12th, I have consulted my crystal ball snowHead

Hints of colder weather around that period from the latest GFS and ECMWF charts today.

If my predictions come true I will buy the drinks Sunday lunchtime in the Perdrix snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saturday will be warm and wet. Believe me.

It's possible to upload on foot on the Linderets Express lift during the winter but not download.

Mont Chery closes on Sunday.

Short and sweet

A bientot
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At 06.45 it was showing 4C - I hoped the dot was in the wrong place but it wasn't... off to Avoriaz this morning. Yesterday Plaine Dranse and Linga - still chilly on the chairs so glad not too many layers discarded. About 12.30 the light went very flat - we came back and the run down to Ardent was very soft and sugary. Sun came out in the afternoon. I took the poles out of the garden that mark the edge of the drive - wishful thinking? Amazing how quickly everything is going green after the snow has gone - although there is still some in the garden the plants are emerging.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8C on our balcony here in Chatel under cloud cover this morning at 8am.
Yesterday afternoon really did feel hot in the sun - temp was showing 23C in the shade on the balcony.
No sign of any snow below 2000m for the next 7 days - and potentially another 10days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely an end of term feel to this thread now. Generally though from an inauspicious start it seems to me it has not been bad at all, although our "possible" plan to come out at Easter, always optimistic, is looking ever less likely. Time to turn off the webcams until October!
snow report
Due out in Avoriaz on 13th for a week. Having never skied that late in the season I appreciate it will be a lottery re snow cover. A question re pistes and use of snow cannons - do they keep using the snow cannons this late in the season and how good are they at keeping runs open. Getting a bit worried now.....
ski holidays
alangibson73 wrote:
Due out in Avoriaz on 13th for a week. Having never skied that late in the season I appreciate it will be a lottery re snow cover. A question re pistes and use of snow cannons - do they keep using the snow cannons this late in the season and how good are they at keeping runs open. Getting a bit worried now.....

There is still lots of snow in the Avoriaz area - so you should still be fine.

Re. snow cannon - they have hardly been used at all this season, as although it has been quite a snowy one, it has also been a very mild one.

For example, over the last month, despite some refreezes at night, conditions have not been any way near suitable for snow cannon use due to the lack of dry and cold air / low dewpoints. Looking at the charts, conditions look unsuitable for snow cannon use for the next week at least.

Its just a guess from my part, but I would think that since the end of November, the cannon have been used on fewer than 20 occasions? (will try and find out)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 3-04-14 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
alangibson73, the snow cannons won't be running as it's too warm. They are very good at keeping runs open. There will still be decent coverage on the majority of the Avoriaz sector. It's just that the snow quality will be very very spring like.
ski holidays
X post with Chatel Snow
latest report
Yes it seems to be winding down a bit. I think that will be it for this season for me. Only 16 days this time - must do better. We have visitors at home over Easter so my only chance now is to sneak in for the last weekend of the season. With the current weather and the medium range forecasts I don't think it will be worthwhile though it appears that the Pre La Joux sector and the link to Avoriaz should still be open then. Maybe if there is some late fresh snow.

Thanks for all the input from the regulars. Chatel Snow, are you now a permanent in the village? The reports have been great to see and would be most welcome next season!
ski holidays
Bergfex is suggesting some snow to around 1500m next Tuesday. Is this backed on any other models?

I'm out Tuesday afternoon so here's hopin..
snow report
this seems to concur that something will fall from the skies....

http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Morzine~2991630/long.html
snow conditions
I am going out to buy base layer t shirts today to go with my soft shell gloves, doing my bit to bring on the snow snowHead
ski holidays
Definitely a feeling of winding down now - the sky was a bit Fifty Shades Of this morning - no sun out at all. Snow soft everywhere and quite chilly with no sun. We accessed Avoriaz by parking at Seraussaix and there seemed to be no-one skiing down from the top of the Super Morzine bubble just after 9. We intended to ski down the Crot and take the Prodains Express up - but it was not running - big banners up everywhere saying it is Temporarily not running, so I don't know how temporary it is. Really just going to do that as we hadn't skied down there at all this season - the big old cable car was running but we didn't want to bother with that. Took the Grand Combe up - two people at the top - snow up at the top there was soft. Went down Zore (lots of grass coming through and muddy, narrow at the bottom, pisteur was taking out the poles down the sides) and Tetras a few times and Tetras soft but still very skiable. Really up there as we had arranged to meet some friends for coffee at Les Trappeurs at 11!

Its all fine for us as we are here anyway, not costing us anything for the chalet or lift passes - and we will get lots of diy done in the next few days!
ski holidays
DJL wrote:

Thanks for all the input from the regulars. Chatel Snow, are you now a permanent in the village? The reports have been great to see and would be most welcome next season!

Yep - little one has settled in the local school and we are just sorting rental for the next 12 months and have rented our place in the UK out - so there is now no escape!

Will be some changes to the site as some things did not go according to plan (eg the video section) - but will be posting regular photos through the summer and there will be some changes to the forecasting section too, which should make it more informative - and hopefully more useful.

Still 3 weeks of the season to go and would be nice if we saw some more snow before the end, so that it goes out with a bang, rather than a whimper.
latest report
Nelbert75 wrote:
Bergfex is suggesting some snow to around 1500m next Tuesday. Is this backed on any other models?

I'm out Tuesday afternoon so here's hopin..

Meteo France have the rain/snow level at 2400m for next Tuesday.

It all appears to hinge on the track of a low pressure that is in the N sea in the early hours of Tuesday. If this tracks further south / south-east, then we could be in business and the ECMWF charts almost get there - but GFS is having none of it and I would say its a long shot, based on current info.

edit - Meteo Suisse are showing a lower rain/snow limit - so still perhaps one to keep a close eye on.
snow report
edit again to the above ... lunchtime Meteo Suisse report suggesting snow to 1300m next Tuesday ... Meteo France say 2400m

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/fr/meteo/previsions_en_detail.html

I'm still sceptical - but will be very interesting GFS and ECMWF runs this evening.
snow report
Chatel Snow, well done for providing a thread of hope..... snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

Think Nelbert should get the credit as I hadn't bothered to check Meteo Suisse this morning as I thought the charts looked snow-less!!

Fingers crossed for an upgrade on this eve's charts.
snow report
Just to highlight the uncertainty for next week - here is the automated Meteo France output for Chamonix - which has 18C for next Tuesday (and a rather optimistic confidence level of 4/5!)

http://www.chamonix.com/meteo,11,fr.html

(note: if you are viewing the link above after today - Thursday - then it might be showing something very different as updated every morning. Same applies for the Meteo Suiise link a few posts above, might be showing something v different in a few hrs time).
snow report
Chatel Snow wrote:
pam w wrote:

Think Nelbert should get the credit as I hadn't bothered to check Meteo Suisse this morning as I thought the charts looked snow-less!!

Fingers crossed for an upgrade on this eve's charts.

Well some hope is better than none at all, and my appearance in the alps usually brings some kind of snow. I even managed 30cm the day I arrived in morzine in the exceptionally dry and warm 2011. I like the think the weather gods throw me the occasional bone for all the times I've spent skidding about on ice with zero visibility in a howling gale in Glencoe

And if nothing comes of it, well I'm looking forward to messing about in the soft spring stuff up in Avoriaz, and seeing that big yellow thing in the sky will also be a bonus...it's a stranger in my part of the world
snow report
Nelbert75 I really hope so. I arrive saturday so a tues top up would be much obliged. Last year I like to take credit for bringing a metre to tignes snowHead. Looks like saturday 12th might bring so rain/snow too...just after I leave.

How is morzine and Pleney area holding up? Think our plan will be get over to mt chery monday hopefully before it closes, morzine and les gets mid week then head over to avoriaz for end of the week. Back up plan swim and beer at the viking Razz
latest report
Lift faffer, Mt Chery is closing on Sunday so maybe get there a bit sooner than Monday?
ski holidays
Oops yep meant monday.
snow conditions
Latest GFS model run just coming out and unfortunately it says no to the Meteo Suisse forecast and is very different from this morning's ECMWF charts. So not good news so far this evening.
snow report
Quote:

seeing that big yellow thing in the sky will also be a bonus...it's a stranger in my part of the world

fingers crossed for the big yellow thing. The watery stuff that might be falling out of the sky is no stranger to your part of the world, Nelbert75. Bad snow is quite bearable when accompanied by sun.
snow report
Coming to Les Gets on Saturday - not looking good conditions for the week! We will be staying in a Chalet in St Jean d'Aulps and driving to Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz.
Lift faffer - I like the sound of your back up plan!!
ski holidays
Lift faffer wrote
Quote:

Looks like saturday 12th might bring so rain/snow too...just after I leave.

That'll be what I am bringing then Cool
snow report
ECMWF charts tonight have back tracked from this morning - so that chance of snow for Tuesday next week appears to have gone, if tonights charts are to be believed - so the Meteo Suisse forecast may be different again in the morning.
snow report
Ah well the hope was nice while it lasted....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy