Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
quick question, anyone know the nearest state hospital (where i can use EHIC card) is to Abondance..?

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quick question, anyone know the nearest state hospital (where i can use EHIC card) is to Abondance..?

cheers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our grand-daughter was in Thonon hospital overnight in January - bill was about 1200 euros and 1000 of that was covered with the EHIC card and balance on the travel insurance our daughter had which luckily included the 4 month old.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thonon is where my niece has ended up twice (don't ask!) and I think is where casualties are usually taken unless it is something properly serious needing Geneva.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thonon is the A&E for the area. My friend has driven himself twice there in recent years. He said it resembled MASH with the incoming choppers and some of the injuries he saw there persuaded him it was time to start wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BergenBergen wrote:
Thonon is the A&E for the area. My friend has driven himself twice there in recent years. He said it resembled MASH with the incoming choppers and some of the injuries he saw there persuaded him it was time to start wearing a xxxxxxx.

Don't say the H word!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thonon or Cluses. Most go to Thonon though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chatel Snow wrote:
Great morning on the mountain today at Pre-La-Joux, Chatel - pistes were generally good again, but bit busier than yesterday. Photo from Plaine Dranse. More photos and a brief report on the chatelweb.com site.

I skied there too on Sunday. I thought pistes were about the usual level of busy for a non-peak season weekend. Restaurants for lunch though, were a complete bunfight (only without the food) as most weren't open yet and the ones that were, were going through their first opening days with new seasonal staff.

Snow cover was pretty good, a few stones here and there, but good considering. Weather, as per your photo, was fantastic. Nice and cold so the snow stayed light.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More lifts opening in the Pre La Joux area this coming weekend... http://www.chatelweb.com/opening_dates_times.php

Its gone milder here in Chatel this morning - it was 0C at 8am at 1200m but an inversion meant it was still -6C a few km down the valley. What this does mean is that the snowmaking operation has ground to a halt for now - but they have made huge amounts of snow over the last 8 days, meaning a base has been formed on many key pistes.

It now looks like Friday's snowfall will be in the light or very light category and after that high pressure may dominate again for a few days at least.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Video from the weekend in Chatel

http://youtube.com/v/Fs8y4XH7aS4
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks goo, might try to sneak up on the weekend. Realistically, on a weekend how long to get there from Geneva? Would you recommend going north around Lausanne or come in via Thonon?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you ignore whether you prefer motorways (with a view of the lake) or A roads through the picturesque valley, they're both exactly the same, in terms of duration. The motorway route is a lot longer in terms of KM, but I usually prefer it as it's slightly more reliable. It also depends what side of Geneva you're coming from.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Errr, why would you ever want to get to Chatel via Lausanne from Geneva? almost double the journey time compared to Thonon, although the view from the highway above Montreux must be one of the worlds finest. Chatel snow many thanks for the video, great stuff, hope you can find the time to keep up the reports all season! there is snow here in Morzine, but be careful, there is not much base and the thin snow pack plus cold weather is creating weak layers. There was an almost fatal avalanche on the Pointe de Vorlaz (aka 'Pepsi challenge') at the weekend http://pistehors.com/swiss-skier-seriously-injured-by-avoriaz-avalanche-23098576.htm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thx FreeBeer - videos should be more regular once the season starts properly in mid-December.

Latest snow forecast for Friday .... Meteo France 1.5cm to 3.5cm, snow-forecast .com = Zero cm, Meteo Suisse 3 to 5cm

After Friday, there is no prospect for further snowfall on this mornings GFS and ECMWF charts until at least mid-December (and possibly longer). These extended charts do chop and change frequently, so fingers crossed for some better news in a few days time.
ski holidays
And very mild, lets hope and keep fingers crossed Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Chatel Snow wrote:

After Friday, there is no prospect for further snowfall on this mornings GFS and ECMWF charts until at least mid-December (and possibly longer). These extended charts do chop and change frequently, so fingers crossed for some better news in a few days time.

Not what I wanted to read Sad
ski holidays
Its early days yet Sarah and these charts do chop and change and are not the be all and end all. Will update Friday with hopefully some better news....
ski holidays
Early days,it's the weather, anything could happen - keep the faith Very Happy
snow report
Jesus, 4th December and people are getting worried!!! Usually Avoriaz doesn't open until about the 15th December!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I didn't say I was worried, I said that wasn't what I wanted to read Smile What I want to read and see it that it's dumping down a good base and staying cold snowHead I know things can change snowHead
snow conditions
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a single journey ticket for the Prodains Express?
snow conditions
Yes
latest report
zzz wrote:
Yes

Any idea where this info is? I've looked on the skipass-avoriaz site and couldn't anything about it.
ski holidays
I guess at the ticket booth probably not a problem, but sorry don't have any details.
ski holidays
It has always been possible to buy a one way from Prodains to Avoriaz. A change of lift will not make a difference. However.....they are charging for parking at Les Prodains this winter!
snow report
Very light snow falling in Chatel at the moment - nothing more than a dusting so far, but a chance it could pep up for a time.
ski holidays
does any one know if with a PdS season pass, it gives you a few days skiing in another resort (when in paradiski, 2 days in espace and 3valleys and st foy 50%).

Is there a similar arrangement with PdS?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, you get 5 (?) tickets for local resorts in Switzerland and a similar number for France. But some (eg Chamonix) are half-price not free days. You need to ask for them when you buy your season pass and they will charge you a nominal ~1 euro for them. If they say they have 'run-out' of tickets, go somewhere else. Try and avoid Ardent since the staff selling tickets there are specially selected for their cluelessness (rough translation from the woman at Super Morzine).
snow conditions
FreeBeer, cheers, im in Abondance so will pop in there.
latest report
Libertine, with our PDS season tickets we usually get 3 free days in another Haute Savoie resort and then last year I think it was 4 days in Swiss resorts at half price. The French ones you can use only once, so Megeve once, Grand Massif once etc. But the Swiss ones we could use all four in, say, Verbier. They do sometimes forget to give them to you...
latest report
Blue skies and temps below -6C here in Chatel and lots of the snow cannon have been on all night - more lifts opening at Pre La Joux today - and just off to check what its like up there!

Yesterday's snowfall was a non-event (unfortunately).
ski holidays
Our friends, who are new to skiing, keep asking will there be snow in the village when we arrive 5 Jan......yeah sure I keep saying ,it's the Alps wink
snow conditions
Kiters, I'd be surprised if there was no snow in the village then, if unlucky may not be fresh, but there should still be some snow snowHead
ski holidays
the webcams do not look good right now, hopefully some good stuff comes through soon Sad glad I didn't go ahead and try to get out there for opening week.

Good thing is that in my mind, less early means more later, so when we go to the chalet it is going to be another epic Feb/March snowHead Laughing
latest report
dennisp, it's the 8th of December. What is not good about the webcams?
snow conditions
the on piste conditions for the open runs in chatel are a good start for this early. I'll be on them again in an hour Very Happy
ski holidays
even Christmas week is very early season, don't panic folks, there is always some snow, even if you have to go and find it!
ski holidays
Skied yesterday and this morning in Avoriaz. Pistes are excellent and will be great for the full opening next weekend. Long term forecast looks like snow
before Xmas so will all be good.
snow report
dennisp, conditions now are not bad at all - it's by no means always that so many resorts open pistes for this weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy