Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
I ski on piste, not off piste so should be ok, but Samoens is quite low so the sun will have an effect on the slopes. Cant wait to get out there now, this time next week we will be all packed and ready for our flight on the Sunday. Starting to watch the weather forecasts. Valkyrie, IS any snow forecast when this current warm spell ends?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Been busy this week with a lot of French kids on holiday

You've chosen a good week, Ricklovesthepowder - French school hols will be over.

Quote:

current warm spell is meant to end in the middle of next week

looks like being warm all next week, lots of sunshine. Too soon to know when it will get colder, let alone when it will snow but even if the lower GM slopes are not up to much, the lower traffic levels will help the pisted runs stay good for longer and there's plenty of higher skiing which should still be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied all over the GM today - Skied all the way down to Morillon Village, had to do a bit of grass skiing to get there Wink - Marvel, just above was in great condition though.
Cascade down to Sixt was really grotty 2 hairpins from the bottom, almost had to walk, rest of the run also great.
Most other stuff spring conditions but holding out well. Just Sortilege bumps above Vernant getting a bit brown in places.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spring bumps are nice Wink

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, yes I always look at the holiday planner on the forum and pick carefully. Should be fairly quiet I hope!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Samoens is quite low

and a proper little town, so a lovely place to wander around at any time of the year, great botanic gardens which are good from an exercise point of view as quite hilly; nice shops, cafes etc so there will be plenty for Anna to do to while away her time before going up the gondola to meet up with you if that is what she plans to do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Photos from my sons ski trip to Samoens this week suggest lovely sunshine and plenty of snow on the pistes. The Flaine bowl looks well skied and there does not appear to be any fresh snow, nor any forecast but I have not actually managed to speak to him yet so I am only judging on the photos.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski, thanks Pam, only just seen your post. Yes the town looks very picturesque. We will be meeting up for lunch each day at the top of the gondola etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are heading over to les carroz on the 22nd. Spent a week there last January and loved it and we had to head back.
Had busy year last year so couldn't afford a mid season apartment this year so had to settle for the 22/03/14.
I've been checking the forecast every day for the last 2 weeks and every day get a little more worried at the thought of bad snow.
I've got everything crossed tho Sad

Ian
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As of today I can tell you that the pistes are in very good shape.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's good to hear, thanks. Just praying for a little flury of fresh snow next week Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe some snow in flaine next week!

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would take that weather forecast!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me too. Heading to Samoens on 20th for a long weekend. Could have timed it quite well if the forecast pans out like that. Still can't change the weather so will just get on with it. Love spring skiing on hopefully quiet slopes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What are conditions like today? Forecast are suggesting some very warm days early next week! Is cascades still open down to Sixt?
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, Same as yesterday. Keep calm it will be fine and if it isn't what can you do about it?
snow conditions
ian999, is cascades still open?
snow conditions
Yes, it was today.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Don't panic - there will be enough higher level pistes to keep you happy. And maybe some lower level ones..... Cascades open today.
snow conditions
Quote:

Just praying for a little flury of fresh snow next week

I will be thankful if we escape rain - the temperatures look a bit high, in general, to be praying for precipitation. wink
ski holidays
billb, thanks. First ski day is Monday so I think that will be best to ski it if it's open. Can't wait to get out there now. Need to go and buy some sun cream tomorrow.
snow report
My son phoned me on his way back from Samoens, he says the pistes are good but off piste is not good at all. They took all the off piste safety stuff with them but everywhere easily accessible and safe (ish) was very cut up. They gave up and confined themselves to piste skiing. He says he was jolly glad he made that decision as one of the places they had considered skiing did indeed avalanche the following day. Best snowy moguls were to be found above Flaine. Some queues for some lifts were rather irritating but on the whole it was not extremely busy.
snow conditions
CaravanSkier, Thank you for the update!!!
latest report
Have a good time Ricklovesthepowder,
snow report
CaravanSkier, will do thanks. Don't go until tomorrow
ski holidays
Skied cascades 8 days ago the top is pushing the bottom is brown and Stoney the middle is ok the run is just long Madeye-Smiley Blush
snow report
charlie26, just been looking in the Samoens website and it says the runs at Sixt close on 16th March, I will have to wait and see I think!!! All packed and ready to go now, having an early night.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I am envious, my son had a great week!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 15-03-14 19:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, I am envious! My son had a great week!
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, really looking forward to it. Ok it may be slushy after lunchtime but more time in the bar!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Its a tough life on a ski holiday isn`t it Very Happy
snow report
CaravanSkier, I will let you know in a few days! Don't worry I will keep on updating this thread with pics etc. I hope the chalet had wifi, I'm sure it does.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, You might find that March 16 refers to Sixt's own small area rather than Cascades. Seriously though I wonder if Cascades is worth the effort at this time - Spring skiing has come early. The fact it is open doesn't mean deep joy.
snow report
ian999, ah I didn't think of that. It probably does mean the little ski area in the village doesn't it. I will assess it when I get there on Monday. I've heard the bottom part is a drag with a lot of poling, so must be a real drag in warm conditions!

Can't wait to get skiing on Monday. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The Cascades run involves a lot of poling at the start, again in the middle and once more near the end but the rest of the run is lovely and it's totally manageable, and is a must do if open. The reason why it shuts when the weather warms up is because the bottom section is a road with hairpin bends and it gets very very icy and worn and of course it is narrow too. But there are nets to stop you flying off Piste into trees and really it's worth it especially when having vin chaud in the cafe at the bus stop. I love this run as a shortcut back to the Giffre valley after a day in Flaine. Have a good time!
ski holidays
Got here safe, but my god it's warm. We sat outside in a t-shirt for lunch, the temperature was 18c!!! First day on the slopes tomorrow. Can't wait! Snow level is about 1300m
ski holidays
Well the sun is out again, looks like it's going to be a warm one! Temperature seemed to drop quite a lot overnight, maybe 4c in Samoens so hopefully it was colder up the mountains and froze over. I will report back later on today after my first day on skis.
snow report
Well first day in the slopes today, I lasted until lunchtime. It's so warm it's unreal. Great for the first 2 hours but then the sun started to take it's toll in the pistes. Everything below 1600m was like porridge, at lunchtime it was 16c at 1400m. Skied up into the highest parts of Flaine and at the very top the snow was better, had a good time but after meeting with Anna I called it a day and we headed down and had a chill at the chalet. As for snow conditions, all it will take to get things good again is some more snow to top up what's already there. There is still a lot above mid mountain but the lower slopes are now closed due to zero snow. You can't ski down into Morrillon, Vercland or Sixt because of it. Tomorrow I'm going to get the first lift up, and ski until lunch again to get the most out of it.

Few pics from today.

latest report
That second photo has changed quite a bit since I was there at half term. There were no bare areas at all and the snow either side of the narrow blue run on the ridge was waist deep and that bowl was knee thigh deep powder.

Still it looks way nicer than work anyway so like you say get to first lift and enjoy it as much as you can
latest report
I've not yet had experience of skiing in warm weather, it does look beautiful.

Weather higher up is dropping in tems over the next 5 days. Flaines over night temps are dropping from +4 slowly down to -3 on Saturday with a high chance of snow. So let's keep our fingers crossed. We fly next Saturday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy