Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Seems a bit early but lots of lift pass prices have come out so I thought would do details here and links

The grand massif season lift pass bargain has gone up a bit, but still good value

adults 469 euros and 5 to 17 years 269 euros

Happy days still going which is 79.50 euros, sat and / or sun and 1 day in week (lasts all season)

and Happy Ski which is a lift pass with discounts that charges direct to your bank account, a skiing doffer!

Certain days at the start and end of the season they are doing adult passes at the child price

lift prices links here

http://www.lescarroz.com/forfaits-a-prix-promo-aux-caroz-cp737-me780-151.aspx

and

http://www.lescarroz.com/prix-des-forfaits-de-ski-les-carroz-grand-massif-haute-savoie-alpes-dunord-cp481-me482-151.aspx

Webcams

http://www.lescarroz.com/webcams-enneigement-et-pistes-domaine-skiable-les-carroz-grand-massif-cp80-me480-151.aspx

A picture of the mole at sunset..............

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cows in downtown Flaine:

http://associationflainoise.piwigo.com/_datas/8/5/q/85qt9qw0t7/i/uploads/8/5/q/85qt9qw0t7//2013/09/23/20130923152829-95135351-me.jpg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posted this elsewhere, but it could go here as well

Seem to be increasing snowmaking and remodelling pistes as when we were there in august they were moving large amounts of earth around the top of combe, as per these photos

There was lots of tree felling going on all over the place in august, There were logs all over lou darbes blue.

They will have to move lots of earth to remodel the steep bit from the gondola , but are taking all the trees out around the top of the plein soleil chair lift

what top of telecabin looked like on 29/09

and on 03/10

see how they are getting on here

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lescarroz/carroz

To get bearings this is looking at the top of gron chairlift, all the mods are below this

closer

and

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steep slope near top of telecabin has now been re-profiled,

and its snowing....and melting

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just booked for my first stay in LC. 1st week in Jan.

I have been trawling the net trying to find a map of the village but can't unearth one, do you have a link for one at all?

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So (has) the soil from under the Gron chair been moved up the hill to the TC?.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So (has) the soil from under the Gron chair been moved up the hill to the TC?.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.lescarroz.com/brochures-documents-touristiques-les-carroz-grand-massif-cp447-me447-151.aspx
This link takes you to a page from which you can download a variety of maps/plans, including village centre.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posted this on another thread :-
It seems like they are installing snowmaking on the top 2/3 of blue piste "Combe" (giving snowmaking from top to bottom) building a lake to feed the system about 1/3 the way down the Combe (just after the entrance to Red Piste "Zorta") and, over last couple of days, remodelling the steeper part of the "Combe" blue piste at the top of the Gondola and the surrounding area. I will be visiting Les Carroz for a few days next week and (weather permitting) may take a wander up to view progress.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys as you are familiar with this area. can you shed light on snow conditions at the beginning of April. I will be skiing with my niece and nephew who have never skied before, so will have to curtail my jaunts to Stanton this season. I was thinking of staying in Samoens. Sorry to hijack the thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having suggested to Spinout that he look at Alps Accomodation I thought I ought to have a proper look at their site and found this. Looks like plenty of other work going on..

http://www.alpsaccommodation.com/samoens-and-grand-massif-improvements.htm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully the link below will point to the Les Carroz webcam. The question is how will he get his caravan down if the snow does not clear?.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lescarroz/carroz/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had a chat with a mate who walked up last week with his very old skis.....skied down from tete des saix. Very much rock dodging, but skiable......just invest in some ptex..... Very Happy

some wiggles (well for morzine, but its close....!!) Fantasy land has a bit of hope....just getting the rock hoppers ready!

Next week it will all probably change......don't panic Mr Mannering

http://youtube.com/v/ZR6wok7g7do
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few rocks showing through at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
19th December

Just arrived to unpack the apartment.....and its raining....lots and lots and lots, making a racket on the roof, we arrived at 5pm and its been doing the wet stuff ever since. However car dash said temp was 1
so assume its snowing higher up.

Lots of sad looking snow at the side of the road on the way up, but the piste with the drag up to the Gondola looks rather ugly, with large brown patches

Grand massif opens saturday, so going to flaine tomorrow...hopefully not too wet..............
snow conditions
carroz, Good to see you back on duty at the sharp end.
ski holidays
Basil, slightly damp end....autoroute getting here was a bit horrid
latest report
Have fun tomorrows hope it is dumping it down up there for you and everyone else due out at the weekend!
ski holidays
Snowing quite a lot now, and has been for a few hours........have to try to drive up to flaine.....thats going to be fun.....
latest report
I week and a day to go before I bring the family out Smile
ski holidays
I week and a day to go before I bring the family out Smile
ski holidays
Looks like a few inches on the webcam above. 9th Jan for us.
ski holidays
I am wondering why the snow making has not been activated as the temps have been low?
latest report
20th December

Well managed to drag daughter and car up to Flaine, drive up was fun and snowy.

New snow has made it all fine, boot deep in places, still a few rough patches on pistes lower down, with quite a few stones about eg lower part of faust, and its a bit heavier under 1800 metres but generally ok

Its just normal early season with very few people, and i can see with more skiers / boarders its going to get thin quickly. Not really very much open, but we did 4 hours and enjoyed ourselves.

It was rather warm and damp and the visibility was a bit duff on occasions plus the road back to les carroz had much less snow than on the way to Flaine earlier i.e it had melted

So reason for lack of cannons is its too warm, it is very unlike last year!
ski holidays
enjoy while you can then Very Happy
latest report
21st December

Grand Massif is open Very Happy .....well most of it....ish!

Up gondola this morning to find plein soleil in rather good nick, with some very nice snow, just the red that follows, timalets, was shut, so up Plein Sol chair and down the red at the top......lots of stones, then down Zorta to gron, zorta had various bushes sticking out of it, plus a few stones, but snow was ok. Decided to go to tete des saix & samoens which had rather nice powdery snow, and less stones so stayed around there for a while, even a bit of off piste which was very light.

Later went down to vernant and up vernant chair to the top of grand vans, and found some rather nice powder (and some large rocks!!) so played around there for nearly 2 hours.

Went down the blue into flaine, which was fine, rather stoney at the base and everyone having to use the moving carpet up from grand vans lift to get into faline itself. As snow around top of grand vans was super we went back there

Finally to morillon, and sairon blue which was hard and quick, then the link to les carroz which was very dire....mud, rocks stones everywhere. Combe down to the base is fine, all cannoned.

So north facing stuff is quite nice, with some powder with no base if you like that, south facing is dodgy, eg, bowl facing vernant is bare, on piste is ok if you can put up with the odd rock and bush etc. Lots shut in morillon and les carroz.
So the world will be going to flaine...................

Pleased we went out on the rock hoppers and they need a few repairs tonight

Not very many people but with some much shut not sure what it will be like tomorrow.........
snow conditions
It will be as busy as hell!
snow conditions
Sunday December 22nd

Not really that busy, longest queue was for DMC and that was 5 minutes, then later at 12.30 it was walk straight on, also got rather windy today

Snow however is very good high up in flaine, so faust and the blues next to Desert Blanc were excellent, just under about 1800 it gets rather thin with quite a few rocks etc

Tourmaline into flaine to a bit of a mess at the bottom, with lots of stones and snow is rather brown.

By 2.00pm top of les carroz gondola is very very stoney with bare patches

Off piste near Vernant was better than on piste, and samoens seems to have rather good snow, better than flaine??

Overall very good day, just need sharp edges, and some edge files / ptex handy!!

Some more snow would be nice...please........ as all blacks shut, as are most reds
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow I thought flaine would be booked out and really busy! I looked at the peiste info earlier and saw only 4 reds open and no blacks . Noticed a green flag and 2 limited next to it , does that mean they are only selling passes for a maximum of 2hrs skiing ? I did hear that was done a few years back.

Hopefully this is the link
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=flaine&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

If so that explains maybe why it's not rammed out with people
ski holidays
bigtoe wrote:
... Noticed a green flag and 2 limited next to it , does that mean they are only selling passes for a maximum of 2hrs skiing ? ...

Avi risk?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-12-13 9:53; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Avi risk was 2 yesterday
ski holidays
Think you need snow for there to be a risk?

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Monday December 23rd

What a difference a rise in temp makes. Last night snow was melting on our roof rather quickly, (the gutters were like is was raining!) and conditions were rather different this morning.

More runs closed in les carroz, and coming down from the gondola is a stone / rock fest. Tourmaline blue to Flaine is closed, so only way there is by road.

Spent the day in samoens, mostly off piste from the top, the snow there is fine, powder and rather nice (well apart from the large rock that has ripped a hole in one of my skis)

Pistes have quite a few stones/ rocks etc but miles better than les carroz, which was pretty dire on the way home.

Queue for the fast 6 man were a bit big, but really only 10 minutes.

Daughter (competition class) reported sairon in morillon was fun, (as well as spending most of her day in samoens), but the morillon link back to les carroz was mud and stones and some brown snow

The blue down to molliets 6 man fast chair is closed

Snow is needed soooooon as I cannot see les carroz remaining open for much longer....bring your rock hoppers!!

What you see is the Avalanche risk, which is 2, I have a season pass, no idea what they are doing about passes, guessing flaine will be selling flaine only ones and rest of the villages massif ones.
ski holidays
I'm due to go to Flaine on 4th Jan....should I start panicking about the lack of snow? This will be my first proper ski trip in 3 years so I would rather postpone it a few weeks (even if it costs me a bit of money!) than go and be stuck with no snow!
latest report
Laurs234 wrote:
I'm due to go to Flaine on 4th Jan....should I start panicking about the lack of snow? This will be my first proper ski trip in 3 years so I would rather postpone it a few weeks (even if it costs me a bit of money!) than go and be stuck with no snow!
hahaha don't panic, that post is from today! Some places are forecasting up to 63cm on christmas day so have no fear...i go out on the 28th, am i worried...no!!!!! snowHead
snow report
OK, thank you! Up until this afternoon it looked like I was going to have to cancel to go to a funeral, got all excited when I found out I could still go, then saw the reports on here and had a moment of panic!! Very Happy
snow report
Laurs234 wrote:
Up until this afternoon it looked like I was going to have to cancel to go to a funeral,

They didn't die after all Puzzled
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Laurs234 wrote:
Up until this afternoon it looked like I was going to have to cancel to go to a funeral,

They didn't die after all Puzzled

Ha ha that's a result then more than 63cm of snow on Christmas Day!!!!!

Hope this strom we are getting on the south east coast at the moment does its bit over there! I also really hope it does not ruin the holiday for people already there! It's hell of a storm even at sea level let alone 2000m up !

Cheers for the explanation of 2 limited. You live and learn:)
snow report
Unfortunately the 63 cm isn't due to fall on Samoens...at least not according to the sites I've seen. Fingers crossed. We start driving down on Boxing Day so updates would be really appreciated, if its really bad we will bail and go later int the season.
snow conditions
Minnie, If you want a forecast written by a human then the chamonix one is good, even if Chamonix weather is not quite the same as here as its a different valley

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/evening/6_days_weather_forecast.php

The issue with this storm on Christmas day night is freezing level, hopefully it will be low, but it may just rain...who knows

You can ski, flaine snow is ok above 1800 and as its north facing it keeps its snow well, like samoens does as well. Les carroz is mainly west facing so not as good, but the trees help in storms etc

This season has started a bit thin....but that could all change

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy