Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
stevo_the_saddler, I did it every year I was there (Flaine 2000 to 2012) and enjoyed it every time (well the top half at least....). Sure you have to walk but it's sometimes nice to escape the crowds (we went at Feb HT). Once they'd put in the Express bubble from Samoens it shortened the bus journey and improved the round trip.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rather pleasant piste day

And did Cascades, which was in very nice condition, they were giving coffee / tea and pain choc etc to everyone! at the start of cascades

Just bottom bit needs some good edges, plus a liking of marbles! but it was very pretty! and for cascades the snow was brill.

Pistes are very pleasant, and had some to myself at times, pistes a bit hard in places, and its still quite cold, but with nice sharp edges it superb fun, forgot how fun pistes can be (without the crowds)

Even had the sun for quite a while.

Only downer was grand cret was shut down to vercland, due to lack of snow at the base, few people going down it anyway, even with closed sign and barrier up. but knowing what it has been like in the past I value my bases!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
am in samoens at the mo but am heading over to tignes at the weekend, does anyone know if the road that goes through megeve is open? i would have thought that it would be but i thought someone might know?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajc2260626, You may be better asking this on "The Piste" rather than here

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=2
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Basil"]Just had an email from the Ski Grand Massif bods. Cascade is opening exclusively (so I understand it) for season pass holders from tomorrow and until 1030 free coffee and croissant at the lift, others from Thu.

Thanks for the above. Coffee, croissant and Cascades was great (apart from the hard piste/marbles on last 100m or so vertical). The runs in Sixt were v quiet and snow good on top half of mountain. I was planning to have a Hot Dog & Beer at Tremplin above Sixt but closed down and up for sale!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather flat light this morning, zooming around on very flat pistes in flaine first thing, empty!! Snow still very nice, not as cold

Back to les carroz this afternoon, and swapped skis, and found some nice nearly untracked powder, that was still quite light, just mind the odd bush or ten.

Still very empty....wish it was like this next month for half term

Has looked like it will snow all day, but nothing.

Back home to do some work on Sunday...so 2 more days....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice sunny day, pistes in Flaine in excellent condition, lunchtime it was deserted!

Still quite cold, they have made a lot of snow in les carroz, which has made some bits a little hard, but its all very fine, especially compared to christmas!!

New liners in my boots today, wonderful for control, not so much for comfort.....ouch! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Carroz thanks for advice about Gers bowl. In Flaine and les Carroz today and agree with your comments, spot on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very good skiing today. Parked at Morillon 1100 and skied Les Carroz and Flaine. Snow was very good all round and no crowds to speak of. Even though it is a green run, the middle section of the Marvel piste is a nice racetrack.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Juddernaut, Compared to last week was very busy! seemed to be loads of locals, more than a usual saturday. Snow off piste in Flaine was much lighter then I expected, the red down to vernant had rocks sticking out of it all over the place, and the off piste was marbles as south facing. Tourmaline had its usual thin bits.

Back in 3 weeks.....paris holidays.....like a zoo Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samoens, Morillon and LC excellent today. No crowds or lift queues great lunch at La Luge a Teran. Snow cold and tip top everywhere. Great atmosphere in Covey's bar for the rugby just a shame about the result. Now snowing in Samoens so looking forward to tomorrow.

Edit: Just read Carroz's post. Obviously did not see what he saw but then I am a bit softer than he is. Although did notice that LC car park was full.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carroz, I change my post to "Very good on-piste skiing today". Very good means just that. Not perfect, not bad, but better than good. Sure, the piste you mentioned was a bit thin but I didn't see "rocks sticking out of it".
Anyway Basil, seems to concur with me. Snow held up throughout the day too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Juddernaut, well i didn't imagine them, its an ungroomed red and has stones and other such junk between the small moguls, diamant noir had various rocks sticking out as well, plus thin snow signs, in fact there were a number of thin snow signs about.

Racing down green runs...............?????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
whatever
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Juddernaut, Seriously racing down Marvel is not on, particularly at home time. It scares the hell out of beginners trying get home in one piece. GM doesn't need people with a "whatever" attitude.
latest report
The good news was that there was loads of snow last night and the pistes in Samoens were fabulous today. The bad news was the the light was very flat and Mrs B felt a bit wobbly so we only did a couple of runs down from Chariande and sacked it. She has bother with her hips and if she falls it hurts so she did not want to risk it. Tomorrow is set fair so expecting a good day.
snow report
ian999, +1
snow report
Stunning day today, a day of days. Samoens, Morillon and LC pistes that we skied all in great nick with fabulous blue sky and sun. No queues and plenty of space to try those big carved turns and when pausing to cool the legs we were sometimes alone on even the normally busy runs. The coffee on the terrace at L'igloo was lush and the sun was hot. It may not last through tomorrow but holiday memories are now set.
latest report
Basil, sounds rather pleasant Very Happy
snow report
Snowing above Samoens earlier today and very windy at the Tete. Connections across to Flaine closed with piste boards showing a number of lift closure there, Perce Neige also closed as return routes Lanche and L'airon (I think it was those) also closed from what I could see going up the Chariande Express. Finished a bit early and now snowing in Samoens quite heavily so could be dumping down harder at 1600 now than it was this morning. Tomorrow is set fine so conditions could be impressive. Anybody coming out thiis weekend have got lots to look forward to.
latest report
Snowing very heavily in Les Carroz at the moment, too. It wasn't settling to begin with but is now, so guess the temperature has dropped a bit.

Roll on tomorrow's sunshine, after a cloudy poor visibility day yesterday and today's snow.......
snow conditions
Great to hear your report. We are coming out to Les Carroz this weekend for a week - our first time to the Grand Massif. Looks like there should be plenty of snow just a bit concerned that the forecast is currently showing it snowing everyday until Wednesday, not sure how the kids (and me!) will cope with poor visibility all week! Might the chains on for the drive up. Fingers crossed for some sun at some stage. Keep the reports coming!!!
snow report
Party of 9 staying at Flaine from 22 Feb. aside from Basil about poor weather on the one day, most reports seem ver positive. Getting very excited now!! Different group of friends are going the week before and after us so keep the reports rolling (hopefully about snow in the night and clear skies in the day). Toofy Grin
snow report
The forecasts have been changing all the time, so don't rely too much on them being accurate more than a day or so ahead. Even today there was far more snow in Les Carroz than had been forecast this morning. It has just stopped, after about 15-20cm has settled.

One of the reasons we have returned to Les Carroz is the good options for bad weather! Even this morning in pretty heavy snow there was OK visibility down amongst the trees, and it's easy to loop round and round, you're not stuck with one or two pistes. The links to Flaine and Samoens were closed all day due the wind, but we still made it down to Morillon, which also has lots of skiing in the trees. We gave up at lunchtime because we were a bit cold and wet, rather than due to visibility.
snow report
Even heavy snow falling does not necessarily mean poor visibility. Skied miles today in Les Carroz and Morillon with fair visibility and great piste snow conditions!
snow conditions
skier52, Same too at Samoens but the view up from 1600 looked worse than it was.
snow report
Clear blue sky this morning and the sun has just hit the top of the mountain we can see from our balcony. Have a good day skiing, everyone who's out here.
snow report
Yup, impressive alright. Going home tomorrow/friday and that's it for the season for us now as cannot fit in our usual third trip. All the best to those about to arrive you'll have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied over to Flaine in bright sunshine for a lesson, admiring the views all the way. But by lunchtime it was blowing hard up high and they temporarily closed the DMC, Tete des Verds, Aup de Veran and Grand Vans from time to time. By the time we were ready to go back to Les Carroz it was cloudy and blowing, Grand Vans had closed for the day and we were bused to Vernant, where Corbalanche was also closed, then had to ski down to Les Molliets and go back from there.

The speed at which they got the bus service in place was impressive - first bus left less than 15 minutes after Grand Vans was closed, and there seemed to be a constant stream of buses to take people.

Forecast for tomorrow is lots of snow, so should be ready for those of you arriving on Saturday, although there is already plenty in most places.
latest report
Thanks a lot for the updates - arriving Samoens Sat eve for a 5-day stint. Sounds like the snow is great but the weather forecast just seems to get worse every time I look! Not expecting to see a lot of sun that's for sure - just hope the visibility isn't too dire..
ski holidays
Sounding much better than 3 weeks ago! Is the whole ski area open now? What about cascades down to Sixt?
latest report
Yes, virtually everything is open as far as I know. Cascades has been open all week, although closed for part of yesterday. People we've spoken to said it was pretty icy lower down.

The snow that was forecast to start at 4am this morning in Les Carroz hasn't appeared. The forecast now puts Les Carroz village just about on the freeze line with a forecast of rain, although there isn't any yet. And Flaine looks as if it will get a good lot of snow. Because it's been windy, even though there's been lots of snow there are places that are barer than you'd expect, so lets hope the wind drops before this dump.
ski holidays
going to Morillon at half term (15th feb) and worried as all the forecasts here show that there's going to be a lot of rain, I've only ever skied in rain once before and it's not an experience I care to repeat!
ski holidays
Strange day.

It eventually rained heavily in Les Carroz from about 9, then snowed very heavily. It was still due to clear in the afternoon, so we decided not to ski this morning. When it showed no sign of clearing we decided to head out anyway.

At the top of the bubble there had been 15-20cm of snow, and it was still snowing heavily. We stayed down in the trees and had no visibility problems. The pistes were virtually deserted apart from ESF instructors with their little trails of pupils. Although I wouldn't have wanted to go out for the whole day in these conditions we really enjoyed our afternoon.

At about 3.30 it started to clear and there was even some blue sky before it got dark, but it's now snowing again.

Forecast for tomorrow is clearish early with light snow (or rain in Les Carroz) later. But we won't be placing bets on the accuracy......
latest report
Sorry, can;t be having this thread on page 2! Looking forward to Feb half term (though not the crowds) - slopes looking OK, more snow this week by the looks of it. Bring it on!
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, snow is now in an excellent state.

It snowed heavily yesterday morning (lots more than forecast), and then cleared to a lovely sunny afternoon (which also wasn't forecast). We picniced on Tete de Saix, and although it was too cold to hang around, the views were great.

Today looks as if it's going to be blowy judging by the trees in Les Carroz (also not in the forecast).

We've given up worrying or planning by the forecast!!

What problem are you having with the thread being on page 2? If it's going straight to the last page, then click the little icon to the right of where it tells you how long ago the last post was and you'll go straight there. Took me ages to work that out.
Sad
snow conditions
sj1608, Thanks for the update… I just meant that I like "our" GM thread being on page 1… because that means there are updates Happy Webcams looking good, looking forward to next week.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, ah, I get it. I was thinking of the thread having multiple pages!

So, an update since Monday. There was another 15 - 20 cm of snow Monday night, then a foggy morning followed by clear blue skies yesterday. Conditions were great, and not too many people about, although Tourmaline down into Flaine was overpopulated, and at one point there seemed to be someone stood (or lying down!)on each bump.

No snow was forecast overnight last night, but there was probably about 3cm and it was snowing and cloudy 30 mins ago. It stopped suddenly and we now have blue skies with fluffy clouds.

We've skied harder than we have ever done before (in our fourth week this season) and my boots have loosened, so we're taking the morning off to get them adjusted and let our legs recover from the last few days.
snow report
sj1608, sounds great, save some for the madding crowds of next week Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Weather today not good
Sad

There was 1-2cm of snow overnight, but it was raining first thing, so we thought we'd make a late start. Then it was still raining so we decided to take the car to the bubble rather than the bus, then we sat for 5 minutes in the car watching the rain and debating if it would be snow at the top of the bubble, before deciding to go for it. Then a nice Frenchman came along and said it was 'orrible and windy and raining' at the top of the bubble and he was going home as they were about to close the lifts. By the time we'd taken our boots off they'd closed the bubble and everyone was queuing for the old Moulins chair. And then they closed Moulins, too. So there is currently no way up from Les Carroz at all. Molliets and Gron chairs are still open at the moment, but Plein Soleil chair is closed, so I guess they think that it will get significantly worse later.

Still pouring with rain in Les Carroz, and the wind is increasing now, too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy