Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central Hokkaido, Japan 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
dbeatski wrote:
Japenese Yen now up to 161 to £

Best rate for years...

Sucks. Mad

Well, good for people coming out here with Pounds or Dollars!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And what also sucks is the warm weather and rain we've had over the past couple of days. I was hoping to go up to Nakayama Touge for a ski today, but they've closed as alot of the snow has been washed away. I think Sapporo Kokusai is still going ahead with their opening this weekend, but I can't imagine conditions will be any good at all.

This is the situation here, compared to earlier in the week:

Hopefully by Wednesday we should see some snow again. Rusutsu, Niseko Hirafu, Sapporo Teine, and I'm sure a few others are planning to open next weekend, so with a bit of luck things will get going by then.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The forecast isn't looking too exciting for the next week or so. We really didn't get much more than a dusting on the hills today and it doesn't look like we'll get too much more before the weekend. Possibly a few ski areas will open but it's looking doubtful at the moment.

But even if we get snow by the weekend, Monday is looking awful. Freezing level up over 2,500m and 20cm+ of rain. So far, it's not looking like the best start to the season. But things can change quickly. I hope they do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I plan on arriving Wednesday 27th November. Should start snowing shortly afterwards Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 20-11-13 18:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good start to the season in Western Japan.....they're already skiing in some of the Hiroshima ski areas; Kyushu and Shikoku have had early snowfall too. Let's hope your arrival brings more joy to the Japanese Alps, Tohoku and Hokkaido areas snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last night NHK'S weekly forecast showed snow in Hokkaido and Akita from the 28th....welcome back Mike Pow!
Zao is opening one slope tomorrow (23rd) with a depth of 30cm.........by lunchtime it will be tussock skiing, but no complaints! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Niseko has cancelled it's opening for this weekend due to the lack of snow. Rusutsu is opening one of its lifts. Kokusai is part open, as is Nakayama Touge.

We're heading up to Nakayama Touge tomorrow morning to fight the crowds for a few turns. Not an ideal start to the season, but it'll do.

As Mac46 says, snow forecast from early next week. (After alot of rain on Monday)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What are the chances of some decent boarding from 7th Dec to 16th Dec ?

Worth the risk of heading to Japan somewhere ? which resort has the best chance of early snow ?

Any info most appreciated

Ta
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends where you're coming from rayscoops, I wouldn't make a trip from the UK, but if you happened to be in Asia and fancied a ski, then it could be worth a pop.

Hasn't been a great start, but by the 7th there should be a lot more snow. You're unlikely to get good off piste, but you'll probably get some decent days of nice powder on piste. Up here in Hokkaido, Kiroro, Kokusai, Niseko or Rusutsu would be your best bet.

Seems like the resorts down south have had a better start this year, so don't rule them out. Snow Japan would be a good place to ask.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nakayama Touge this morning was pretty decent considering. Fairly nice soft snow, not too deep, more than enough for a good time.

From the lift looking down

Ankle deep soft snow

Plenty of lumps and bumps to have fun with

Only downside was the queue for the lift which got a bit dull after a while.

Not a bad start to the season. Hopefully after the rain on Monday, it's still looking like we should get a good amount of snow in the week. (And I'm sure once Mike Pow, arrives, he'll bring the start of the real winter!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MagSeven,

Looks good and thanks for the info

I am already in Asia - Macau !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers rayscoops

Flights with Peach from HKG to Kansai are really cheap at the mo. Maybe a good option would be to go for it and maybe get a JR Pass sorted in advance. Stay flexible until the last minute, keeping your eye on snow reports. Then take the train to one of the Honshu ski areas from Kansai. Shouldn't be a problem booking accommodation last minute at that time of year.

Or, you could get another Peach flight up from Kansai to Sapporo. Or splash out on the direct Cathay flight to Sapporo.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Way to get after it MagSeven
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Play safe folks.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/skiers-die-japanese-avalanche-126681/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, pop up to the tower. My mate runs the AJ Hackett bungy site there. If you want a jump, ask for Taod.
ski holidays
Down south on Honshu.

Huge crown, surprised they recovered the bodies.
ski holidays
Just heard from one of my students, Tracy Lenard, that he was out ski touring in the area and recovered 4 of the bodies.
snow report
Mike Pow, you must have arrived! It's snowing again. Nice moist early season snow which is great for crushing down the bamboo leaves in off piste areas.

Alot more ski areas will be opening this weekend, and the forecast looks good into early next week:

snow report
I have Smile

43cm since I arrived yesterday Smile
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
43cm since I arrived yesterday Smile
Nice!
ski holidays
Nice weekend up at Sapporo Teine. Maybe 20cm or so of fresh snow each day. Loads of sasa bamboo leaves everywhere in off piste areas, but still a few open stashes under the lift and other spots. The pistes were in good nick, but a few rocks and twigs sticking though. The place was fairly deserted, so although the powder got tracked eventually, it was mostly by us!

Looking up from the base at Teine Highland

Overlooking Ishikari city and bay ( I was skiing with no poles as I sprained my hand early on Saturday on a stupid frontflip attempt #idiot)

Finding powder stashes between the bamboo

Rory shredding

A decent weekend of skiing. The snow for next week looks like it'll be falling more up further north, so we're going to check out Kamui Ski Links next weekend.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 1-12-13 13:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well played
ski holidays
Video from the weekend

Teine Opening Weekend 2013/14 from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/80716134
ski holidays
A hell of a lot more terrain open with you compared with Grand Hirafu.

More snow up this way though.
ski holidays
We really haven't had much snow since the weekend here. Today it's feeling quite a bit warmer and it's even threatening to rain a bit tomorrow. Further north it's looking a little better. Kamui Ski Links received a good dump of snow on Monday and Tuesday, and more is in the forecast for Friday. That's where we're heading for the weekend.

Driving home from work this afternoon.
snow report
Thanks for the intel and updates
snow report
No worries. Give me a shout if you're heading up this way!
latest report
Will do
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MagSeven wrote:
( I was skiing with no poles as I sprained my hand early on Saturday on a stupid frontflip attempt #idiot)

Buqger. Not a sprain. Broke a bone in my hand (4th metacarpal). Seems I'll be skiing without poles a bit more than I anticipated.

Can still fit a mitten over it, so it won't stop me skiing!

This was just before impact. We set a challenge over a few beers back in September to get upside down before Christmas. Not quite what I'd intended.

ski holidays
MagSeven, good work Laughing

Hope it fixes itself soon!
snow report
Ouch. Get well soon.

The silver lining is that skiing without poles gets your balance sorted.

Did a week with 4 beginner kids last season. Big improvements for all of us.
latest report
Thanks clarky999 and Mike Pow! Got to have a couple of pins put in next week but hopefully won't take too long to heal. (Got the Xmas and New Year break back in the UK so won't be skiing for a couple of weeks then. And it's not my drinking hand!)

I enjoyed riding without poles on Sunday. It's what all the cool kids are doing these days anyway!

Started snowing here too, which hopefully is set to continue for the next few days.
latest report
MagSeven, ouch! If you have to have a cast, take a ski pole in with you and ask them to shape the cast around the pole Toofy Grin
snow conditions
A friend of mine broke his thumb a few years back at Mt Hutt and had a "wine-glass" cast put on. It was crude but effective...

Happy
snow report
Seems like we're getting snow some decent snow all over the island. Finally!

We were up at Kamui and had a great day skiing. (Although it'll be the last day for me until January, I imagine.)

Driving up on Saturday morning through a classic central Hokkaido snowstorm

The bottom of Kamui, lots of bare patches still visible

Only a limited amount of terrain was officially open at the top of the hill, but the closed runs had the best skiing. Nice light powder, but with some lumpy snow underneath to be careful of.

Riding with no poles, and being a bit cautious with my left hand!

My friend Ross

Not a great photo, but man, it was fun!

We continued up to northern Hokkaido on Saturday evening, through more heavy snow in the Kurodake and northern Taisetsuzan area. Same coming back through this evening. Hopefully this snow will continue and the winter can get going properly.
snow report
Nicely done young man.
snow conditions
A whole day of rain and warm temperatures today. It's due to get colder over the next day or two and we're expecting some decent snow by the weekend. Very strange start to this season!
snow report
Very strange indeed.

Same down with us. The snow around my house has almost disappeared today.
snow conditions
MagSeven wrote:
Cheers rayscoops

Flights with Peach from HKG to Kansai are really cheap at the mo. Maybe a good option would be to go for it and maybe get a JR Pass sorted in advance. Stay flexible until the last minute, keeping your eye on snow reports. Then take the train to one of the Honshu ski areas from Kansai. Shouldn't be a problem booking accommodation last minute at that time of year.

Or, you could get another Peach flight up from Kansai to Sapporo. Or splash out on the direct Cathay flight to Sapporo.

Thanks for the info, headed back to UK for a week (with sneaky few days in Switzerland) but will for sure head to Japan in Jan or March on that Cathay flight (with a few Avios points)
snow report
rayscoops, probably made the right call there! As you've maybe gathered, its not been the snowiest start to the season! It'll be all good by January though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy