Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central Hokkaido, Japan 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Here we go, the approach of another Hokkaido winter!

It's been feeling cooler over the past week or so, and it looked from the forecast that we might see some snow on the peaks in Daisetsuzan Wednesday night into Thursday. Sure enough, checking the webcam this morning, we've had a dusting of snow up on Asahidake.

A mate then sent me this photo from an early morning fishing trip.

Winter's still a long way off, but it's great to see a bit of snow on the mountains!

Again, it looks like quite a few Snowheads are planning Hokkaido trips or seasons. Hope to meet up with some of you when you're out here!

Bring it on!

Winter 2013/14 is coming...... from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/73872635

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-12-13 11:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The exchange rate is getting better too, today 159Y to GBP. best for many years.
Flights: approx 640GBP rtn direct on skyscanner, approx 500GBP rtn with 1 stop.
(LHR departures to NRT in January 2014)

Last year paid 563GBP for same direct flight path.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hatsu Yuki. Sugoi Very Happy

First snow. Awesome Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me and a mate are travelling out on January 2nd for two and a half weeks in Japan. It's a trip I've been dreaming of for about 4 years now so will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest.
A week in Hakuba, a long weekend in Tokyo then a week in Niseko. STOKED!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hatsu Yuki on Mt Yotei

http://360niseko.com/blog/first-snowfall-on-mt-yotei-for-the-2014-season/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This photo from Rusutsu's Facebook page of the snow on Yotei

Chilly night last night!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is the JMA's long range forecast for snowfall this winter. Good probability of above normal snowfall in Western Hokkaido. When you consider how much snow is 'normal' for this area, I reckon this is good news!

(Sure, long range forecasts aren't the most accurate or reliable, but here's hoping!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booyah!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let's go. Thanks mag seven for photos.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit more snow today up high. Chilly day everywhere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will put up a re-thread soon....but if anybody wants to ski Japan this coming season:

I will be going to Japan on or about 26th February for 12-14 days.
I can be a little bit flexible about the dates.

I have sufficiemt BA miles to get "free" ticket...and another "free" ticket for somebody travelling with me.

I say "free" because the taxes and landing charges have to be paid...approx £350 return.

I'll be going to Niseko where my son (aka The Lad) will be teaching the full season for Pro Powder ski school (excellent name!).

I plan to stay in a Lodge, probably this one: www.Slowlifeniseko.com

If you don't want to be with me, even don't want to sit next to me, or even speak to me....that is fine.
However it would be good to share the adventure, sadly my wife does not want to come.

I've had a couple of snowHeads say "yes" but then "no, the wife won't let me".

Only say yes if you mean it....and say it soon....I plan to book the flights early next week.

Me: 50 (ish). Good skier, not expert. Budget = modest, not skimping, but not flashing it around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A little more snow fell over the weekend in a few places. We were staying with a friend down in Kutchan and hiked Yotei today. We were really lucky with the weather, the previous couple of days had been very windy and unsettled. Yotei got a bit of snow last night.

View of Yotei from Kutchan at 5am

Up at the top, hiking around the crater to the summit.

At the summit, looking down into the crater.

Looking down to Lake Toya with the ocean behind.

View of Rusutsu.

Looking down at Niseko.

In the far distance we could see the Daisetsuzan range (Asahidake etc.) about 175km away. A fair bit of new snow up there too.

The forecast for this week looks interesting. Possibility of some heavy snow in the hills on Weds/Thurs. Fingers crossed...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MagSeven, nice pics.

I never knew it was so close to the sea Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, you don't often get clear enough days to see the sea from Niseko, but it is occasionally possible:

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, you need to go back and double check Wink
snow report
kitenski, agreed. It could be a photoshop job Little Angel
latest report
Mosha Marc, hmmm, this was definitely photoshopped, by the good rob@rar, perhaps I'd best get myself back there Wink

ski holidays
kitenski, Did that stroll quite a few times, but it always looked like this

snow conditions
Great pics MagSeven.

Missed a trick for first turns there Wink

20-40 cm forecast for Hokkaido on snow-forecast Smile but a warm, wet front following in quite quickly afterwards Sad
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

Missed a trick for first turns there Wink

Haha I thought you'd say something like that! It was hard enough dragging my unfit back bottom up there, let alone lugging skis and boots up too!

My skis probably wouldn't have enjoyed the volcanic base grind either. Going to wait a couple of weeks and hope for a decent base to build up in Daisetsuzan before thinking about first turns!
snow conditions
Wow, its snowing. In town, at sea level. A typhoon moving up Honshu is sucking a load of cold air from the north down over Hokkaido, bringing with it freezing winds and snow. We're at 0.5 degrees here just North East of Sapporo with sleet and snow falling. Up further North and East there is actual proper snow falling and settling. A few pictures from friends' Facebooks:

North Eastern Hokkaido

Southern Tokachi

Obihiro

This will probably continue for the rest of this afternoon and into tonight, but the snow won't stick around for long. Hopefully it might start a base at some of the higher mountains.
snow report
Decent dusting up in the Niseko Resort Area on the 16th & 17th.

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-hirafu-ace-hill-hike/

snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Decent dusting up in the Niseko Resort Area on the 16th & 17th.

I'm excited seeing that and I am not even going to be in Japan this season!!!
ski holidays
Another hike up the snow today. Although the temperature has risen significantly since the cold snap in the week. We hiked Tarumaezan, an active volcano next to Lake Shikotsu, around 1,000m in height. There were still snow patches down to as low as round 400m.

At the trailhead, plenty of snow in the shade. No winter tyres on yet!

We were quickly above the treeline and into the sun. The crater still billows steam, and the views are fantastic. The snow was disappearing as the day went on.

Views down to Lake Shikotsu, one of Hokkaido's most beautiful spots, in one direction

And down to Tomakomai, Hokkaido's ugliest town, in the other direction

Looking back up at the mountain from the lakeside. By late afternoon, much of the snow had melted.

Seems like we're back to more normal temperatures for this time of year. The first ski hills are scheduled to open in around 3 weeks time, so keeping fingers crossed for some more snow!
snow report
Its Nisekos' proximity to the sea that gives it the snow it gets.

Without doubt one of the best ski trips I have ever done and the cause of my powder addiction! Would go back in a heartbeat. Now, were are my lotto tickets?!

BTW great photos chaps.
snow report
The combination of

Hokkaido's maritime climate, with most of the annual precipitation falling between mid-November and mid-March

+

freezing air flowing down from Siberia

= 12-13m of predominantly dry, low moisture content snowfall at village level each winter
snow report
The wintery weather is starting to arrive. It's feeling colder today with snow falling in the hills almost everywhere. The forecast for Monday/Tuesday is looking nice, with snow down to sea level everywhere. That should start a base for the ski areas. Some hills should start to open in the next couple of weeks....
ski holidays
Hatsu Yuki (First snow) has stuck in Hirafu Village.

8cm

Lifts scheduled to start running on 23 November

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-snow-report-9-november-2013/

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First Track Freddy award of the season goes to Sam Kerr of Niseko Xtreme Tours

http://www.nisekoxtremetours.com/

Glen Claydon Photography shot

http://glenclaydon.com/

latest report
My view this morning

About 5cm or so to clear off the car. Happy days.

The forecast is for a couple more days of snow before, frustratingly, some rain and warm weather just before the weekend. Possibility of some skiing at the weekend depending on where the freezing level is and how much rain falls. Fingers crossed!
snow report
Seems like yesterday's dusting was a taster of what's to come. Since yesterday morning it snowed on and off through the day leaving another 5-10cm or so. Then last night it dumped probably 35cm. It's quite early for such heavy snow, so the snow plows aren't ready! The roads are somewhat chaotic. Anyway, will hopefully get some turns in at the local hill tomorrow morning if this keeps up!

This is at sea level too. So the mountains will be doing very nicely!

latest report
Wow! if you could send half of that down to Zao we might be able to ski this weekend.....webcam shows a light covering on the lower slopes snowHead
snow report
Fabulous.

33 cm in the past 24 in Niseko

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-snow-report-12-november-2013/
latest report
On Monday I woke up and dusted the snow off my car. Yesterday I had to dig the car out. Today, I went skiing! Hokkaido is awesome!

We got our first turns of the season in this morning. We're 5 minutes from the local hill so managed to squeeze in a couple of runs before work. The snow was fairly deep with a bit of a crust, but we weren't complaining considering it's November 13!

Clear morning

Stoked

First turns of the winter

There's been alot of snow over the past 3 days, up to 75cm in some areas. Nakayama Touge ski area opened today, and Sapporo Kokusai has brought forward its opening to this weekend. Hopefully we'll get some lift served skiing in on Saturday.

That's the good news. Unfortunately by Sunday and Monday it looks like we're going to get warm weather and alot of rain. So although this early snow is promising, alot of it will have been washed away by this time next week. But, we'll wait and see and hope it doesn't turn out too badly!
snow conditions
Any news on conditions on Honshu, specifically Hakuba? Heading out there in February and would like to keep an eye on how the snow is doing Smile
snow conditions
Sweet MagSeven.

Face shots in Hirafu snowHead

hirafu - pow in the face, 13 November 2013 from 360niseko
http://vimeo.com/79271574
latest report
morningglory, go to www.snowjapan.com and check out 'Hakuba Now': as of yesterday 5cm
snow report
w00t, the Hokkaido Thread Season has commenced, and all the usual suspects are here!

**FIST-PUMP**
snow conditions
Japenese Yen now up to 161 to £

Best rate for years...
ski holidays
Yep. 124 this time lar year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy