Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, Val d'Isere & The Espace Killy 2013/14 (webcams post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Good to see the pisteurs are prepping Rosolin.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clearly more snow overnight. All the way down to Les Brev. Sunny. Great start day! Lucky blighters.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After a lot more snow last night, and even at resort level it was fine powder, I arrived at the Funiculaire pass office just after 8am. Hundreds of people there already and more arriving after me. Waited in the queue for about an hour until they announced there was a problem. Cable car was frozen up and only Rosolin could be guaranteed to open. Perhaps more later. It looks fantastic up there but I couldn't face the queueing there was going to be with all of the ski clubs there were.

A walk around the lake looks to be in order now and try again tomorrow or Monday.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think I'm better off at home in blighty , fancy I'd be really pissed with conditions looking so good for first day and so disappointed with on one T bar open , massive queue on the webcam , the walk is the right idea .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I arrived at the Funiculaire pass office just after 8am. Hundreds of people there already and more arriving after me.... Waited an hour...
Bad news Tigski - always the same at glaciers in autumn after a snowfall. We've had similar experiences to you at Tignes and Hintertux. Hopefully things will improve for you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not so lucky then! Not a good start for the lift company. Lack of prep? Passes are expensive. Punters deserve better.
Not that cold a day for the lift to be "frozen"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like it's been fixed judging by the amount of tracks. And some have skied all the way back down the double m.
Not bad vertical on the first day of the season.
V jealous !!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is that a first for the October opening to be able to ski double m? Good kudos but probably not good for your bases
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I arrived at the Funiculaire pass office just after 8am. Hundreds of people there already and more arriving after me.... Waited an hour...
Bad news Tigski - always the same at glaciers in autumn after a snowfall. We've had similar experiences to you at Tignes and Hintertux. Hopefully things will improve for you.

Not really a big issue as we hadn't come expecting to ski. Today would have been a huge bonus though.

Some of the tracks coming down Double M were made by people who had skinned up instead of waiting around for the lifts to open. They came down VERY carefully. No doubt some will have come all the way down. The two guys ahead of me in the queue at the pass office were getting some odd looks with ice axes and ropes on their backpacks. I think they left the queue to walk up as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This taken earlier today on the Grand Motte, courtesy of The Boot Lab in Courchevel.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark1863, If you buy the "Pass Tignes Card" for 10€ the season pass cost reduces to 958€ providing that you order before 20.12.13.
I hope the medical goes OK. Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
This taken earlier today on the Grand Motte, courtesy of The Boot Lab in Courchevel.

Nice bit the lucky bugs better not ski it bout before I arrive in 26 days time...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1, I'm sure they'll save some for us. After all, don't we all leave a bit of untracked powdwer for the skiers who follow us...

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, official answer is "of course Rob"

Real answer is of course "not if I can help it"
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
rob@rar, official answer is "of course Rob"
Very noble of you. Me, on the other hand, firmly subscribe to the view that there are no friends on a powder day and when with clients I selflessly volunteer to test the snowpack stability on every single run wink
latest report
of course not, but i will always lie and tell them i will, just like i will say

"oh breakfast is delayed tomorrow and the lifts are opening 30minutes later for avy blasting" so i can beat them to the pow... which if snow-forecast is correct could be quite nice on the glacier tomorrow....

now about meribel in dec...........
snow report
Ricay,
Thanks for that. Thursday week is D Day. Hoping to spend €958 shortly thereafter.
snow report
Looks v nice on the glacier this morning http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html A few race teams/clubs seem to be about.

No doubt next week will be much busier as it's half term rolling eyes
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Just making sure I can quickly get to this thread. Toofy Grin

Good idea, me too - having signed up for the PSB Very Happy
ski holidays
After yesterdays non-event I had a later start today and reached the top of Motte at about 11am. Unbelievable amount of snow up there and no ice in sight. I have to admit to making pretty hard work of it from the top section and was beginning to think the slalom skis were a mistake. I then bumped into Emma, Phil and family from Snoworks and had a very pleasant ski around with them for a while. Needless to say, the kids put me to shame! Their courses start tomorrow for the season. As Stewart said earlier, there were a lot of race teams and clubs around.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-10-13 14:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Unfortunately there appears to have been an avalanche in the area straight to the left of the top cable car station as you look up. Hopefully it was a drill but there were teams and dogs up there probing and there is still a lot of helicopter activity at the moment. Word on the mountain was that there could be 3 people missing but that is unsubstantiated. Not a nice end to what was a superb day.
snow conditions
rob@rar, That's not a bad pic for Oct, assume your guaranteeing such conditions in November Smile
snow conditions
kitenski, I wish. Had more than a few days like that in October and November, and one at the very end of September IIRC. But also had days where I've been skiing on blue ice, thick cloud and gale force winds. Welcome to pre-season glacier skiing...!
snow report
Folks,
Re season pass. On the website it asks for pages from 2013 property tax. Is there a requirement to own property or some such to get a season pass? Can not seem to find an explanation on the site. The site is about as odd as they can make it!
snow report
Mark1863, Mark, those of us with properties get reductions depending on how much occupancy we achieve and have to submit a copy of the property tax to validate we are owners for the upcoming season. This should not apply to normal season pass holders - it will depend on whether the discount is for all or just property owners who haven't joined the occupancy scheme. If you have trouble give STGM a call at the office in Val Claret - they are very helpful and speak good English.
snow report
More info on the possible avalanche today, but definitely count this in the rumour camp until confirmed. From Dave Morris on FB
Quote:
Avalanche on Tignes glacier today. I heard 2 guys jumped off the cliff above grande motte cable car arrival and sent an avalanche way down the public skiing piste. Six buried so the rumour goes but don't know anymore...
ski holidays
Happily the media is reporting that nobody was injured. It's a reminder when you head off-piste it's not jjust your own safety you need to consider.

3 Alpes report
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Happily the media is reporting that nobody was injured. It's a reminder when you head off-piste it's not jjust your own safety you need to consider.

3 Alpes report

Yes thankfully all safe. It does send a shiver down the spine though when you see the lines of people probing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Worying , especially when your son is out there training!!!....great to hear all safe and heard back that he and his group are all OK.
ski holidays
Tigski, is the 3500 lift/run open, v hard to tell from the webcams and can't seem to see any what's open/shut info on the Tignes website.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Tigski, is the 3500 lift/run open, v hard to tell from the webcams and can't seem to see any what's open/shut info on the Tignes website.

Check here , says it is Open

http://www.tignesnet.com/lifts/status.html
snow conditions
Scot_Ski, thanks, that's the link I couldn't find Wink
ski holidays
chocksaway,

Thanks for that. Worrying too much obviously. E958 for the 63 or 70 days I hope to get in sounds a good deal to me. It should end up about £12-14 a day.

Were any of the people actually buried in the avalanche? Wonder if any action will be taken against the offenders.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

It was yesterday and loads of snow around it. The photo below was a couple of guys riding down the left hand side of 3500 and finding enough snow to put in some jumps.

This photo was just a view taken from riding 3500 and I have only just realised, shows the people searching after the avalanche. Looks like two lines. (Highest groups on the picture) Gives an idea of where it was. I am not saying that they caused it, but I saw a group of people who were roped together, traversing up the face above where you get off the cable car at about 11.15am. Apologies for the quality of the photos,but taken off my old iphone.

ski holidays
Tigski, cheers, not bad for early October turns!
latest report
Just seen this on Le Dauphine. http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/10/14/apres-l-avalanche-de-tignes-un-rescape-temoigne

A google translation (sorry!) comes up with

"I heard a noise like thunder, I turned my head, a wave of white dust came over me ... I saw" black "for a few seconds, it was very scary, no sound could be heard more. Then I immediately thought of my son and my wife. " This Savoyard skier never forget his ski at the Grande Motte glacier at Tignes on Sunday with his wife and his five year old son. An avalanche triggered by four skiers who were moving off-piste at the top of the Grande Motte, has reached a safe track. According to this witness, "pushed" by the avalanche, his wife and five year old son were swept away by casting a hundred meters. They escaped with a few bruises. "A dozen people were also taken by the avalanche," he adds, fortunately no casualties were reported.
ski holidays
Some video from the search activities, from Alpes 3.

http://alpes.france3.fr/2013/10/14/en-video-les-secours-apres-l-avalanche-de-la-grande-motte-tignes-en-savoie-338077.html
latest report
This photo taken 2 days ago over opening weekend. Plenty of snow from top of the Grande Motte down to les Brevieres!
(alt+p)
[/img]
latest report
There's an early bird 25% reduction on season passes if you go via the Val website.... ends 20th October.
Brings it down to 840 euros.
Might be worth a look.

I'm just trying to work if our newborn will allow enough skiing to justify buying this seasons' for the wife and me.
latest report
GETTING EXCITED
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy