Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, Val d'Isere & The Espace Killy 2013/14 (webcams post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
From tomorrow there will be another food shopping option in Tignes Le Lac. The old Yeti bar on Rue de la Poste is opening as a "Carrefour Montagne".
Advertising as opening 7.30 - 20.30 in season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just what we need! (Unless its significantly cheaper).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't imagine that putting "Montagne" in the name means it will be their normal prices!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few fast girls in Tignes this week rolling eyes

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=410947069004853&set=a.410946442338249.1073741845.102279326538297&type=1&theater
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
But also had days where I've been skiing on blue ice, thick cloud and gale force winds. Welcome to pre-season glacier skiing...!

The website didn't put it quite like that wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bladeskier, Laughing Best to be honest about these things. Also had days spent drinking coffee waiting to see if the glacier is going to open because the wind is so strong. Pre-season skiing can be a little bit different from the regular winter season...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just noticed there's a new Bellevarde webcam this season, just above the Fontaine Froide lift. Nice!

http://www.val.co.uk/webcambellevarde.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le Dauphine reporting 5 or 6 slight injuries after the Rossolin drag tow wire derailed this afternoon. More here (in French)

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/10/19/tignes-un-teleski-deraille-plusieurs-blesses
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a good start for the resort. Cable car not working start of first morning, avalanche on to the piste and now the derailment. Well that's 3 so let's hope that's it. Perhaps a good kick up the pants to keep everyone on the ball.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark1863,

Aren't you the happy one Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having a grumpy moment! But 2 problems in the first few days might imply a lack of prep. If I was i/c of the STGM I would be looking at the incidents and asking if we could have done better. I don't know the cause of failure obviously.
My current annual insurance only allows for 31 days a trip but expires shortly. After my neck injections this Thursday I will hopefully be prep'ing for my skiing. My company is mucking me about - possible cause of grumpiness. Without going through the whole story I might call their bluff and have to take leave from pre Christmas to about 13th Feb to use all my leave up by end of Feb. My original plan was to do more in March-April. This means a trip of 55-60 days and pointless coming back for a few days. Any advice from TignesHeads that are out there for long periods. I will be getting a season pass. It's insurance advice I am after. I will be getting my consultant to ok the skiing.
Current status Evil or Very Mad Post Injection Status Very Happy status in 2 and a bit months snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark1863, Glad its going well! I think the closing of the cable car may well have been due to wet snow freezing on the wires (a bit like the effects of an ice storm) and that's a tricky job to clear if the suns not shining. As for the tow the pylons are buried in the ice not down to rock so if the glacier moved a bit much it is possible that it reached the limits of movement tolerance.
For up to 60 days insurance I find the insurance from the 'other side' wink one of the best.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, frozen cables on the first morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow-forecast is once again teasing us showing a definite drop in temps and snow at it's 8-9 day outlier forecast... Please let it be so..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, and some fresh overnight last night it appears...
snow conditions
kitenski, indeed. Glacier looking very nice this morning on the webcam..
latest report
Looks pretty warm for the next week. But thinking over last couple of years I don't think we can expect winter-permanent cover at resort level for several weeks yet. Good conditions on the GM is a good start!
snow report
My 2013/14 season started today so I put some new batteries in the camera & took a couple of photo's. As you can see absolutely awesome conditions

On the second & third pictures you can see where the pisteurs set off an avalanche this morning in the same area as last weeks slide. I didn't see it but heard that they walked up and jumped on the snow to set it off rolling eyes
snow conditions
stewart woodward, wow ! Two weeks from now I should just about be landing at Geneva. Can't wait.
ski holidays
Wow those photos look amazing and it is only October!

I was just wondering has the XGames definitely been cancelled this year at Tignes? I am thinking about booking that week as French School holidays would have ended but if it is going to be packed due to the XGames there seems little point in choosing 'that' week.
ski holidays
http://xgames.espn.go.com/article/9764297/x-games-return-two-domestic-events-2014
ski holidays
snow-forecast reporting a fair bit more snow (about 25cm up top) for Tignes from Tuesday, with temps dropping a little. fingers crossed as in 14 days I will be just landing at GVA for 3 days with insideoutskiing. Excited, moi, just a little.
snow report
Another beautiful day in Tignes after yesterdays snowfall. There was about 5 cm of new snow on a very nice base which made for perfect skiing Very Happy

The next few days look like more of the same before some more snow Very Happy
ski holidays
Wow again !

ansta1, I'm on the same trip as you, can't wait.
latest report
Damn, I'm now beginning to wish I were doing some early season skiing after all.
snow report
stewart woodward, lovely photos. Any idea when Rosolin will be reopened?
ski holidays
Pedantica, I picked up on it late. For a number of reasons, midweek suits me, it looks like superb value, I like the coaching on offer.

I've loaded the ipad with series 1 & 2 of Homeland just in case the weather is awful !
latest report
bladeskier wrote:
Wow again !

ansta1, I'm on the same trip as you, can't wait.

what dates areyou going?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
stewart woodward, Any idea when Rosolin will be reopened?

I understand the Health & Safety bods started their investigation last Sunday but no action at the moment.

If you are a French downhill skier you get pulled back up from the bottom of Rosolin by skidoo to the Champagny lift. If you are a cross country skier you have to walk rolling eyes
ski holidays
stewart woodward, let's hope they get it going soon. See you the week after next!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
stewart woodward, See you the week after next!

I will try and save you some snow wink
Maybe Scott can buy us a coffee, hopefully not this expensive

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524321_10151580310729002_321814117_n.jpg

Thankfully Tignes is cheaper than the 3 Valleys Laughing
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
stewart woodward, See you the week after next!

I will try and save you some snow wink
Maybe Scott can buy us a coffee, hopefully not this expensive

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524321_10151580310729002_321814117_n.jpg

Thankfully Tignes is cheaper than the 3 Valleys Laughing

The tremplin, prbably the most expensive coffee in the 3valleys, but the pilatus is a close second and one in 1650 whose name eludes me right now is a close third.

Courcheneige is the best value on the 1850 side of things imho.
snow conditions
Are they deliberately making a 'channel' for the t bar track or is it due to the recent snow?
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Damn, I'm now beginning to wish I were doing some early season skiing after all.

Val d'Isere the same week as the PSB????
snow report
Emma Carrick-Anderson Guys the snow is amazing!
ski holidays
close the Glacier for the next 13 1/2 days I say. I want it in tip top condition for 14 days when I am there.

Snow-forecast unsurprisingly pulled back on the snow fall in its latest output. I hate this time of year for that exact reason, one forecast I'm happy, the next I'm not. grr..
ski holidays
ansta1, I wouldn't be concerned about snow-forecast, they are taking the 6 hour GFS runs and not applying any logic to it, you can see the raw input they use on my page here

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=tignes

The bottom line in the graph is precipitation, you can see vast disagreement from the 29th!
snow conditions
Snow or not on ground is the only thing I look for now. The snow line steadily dropping. The last few years if memory serves there has been little at resort before late November.
The long awaited neck injection turned out to be 5. Local wearing off. Jury out at the moment as it's just plain painful. Decision re this season a few days away.
ski holidays
At the end of Nov 2011 there was a LOT of rocks still open even at glacier level. But 2m of fresh in the second week of Dec sorted it all out.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
ansta1, I wouldn't be concerned about snow-forecast, they are taking the 6 hour GFS runs and not applying any logic to it, you can see the raw input they use on my page here

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=tignes

The bottom line in the graph is precipitation, you can see vast disagreement from the 29th!

Greg, not concerned as such just my thrice daily yehaaa when they report potential big falls on the 7am, supported on the 1pm but then goes to no snow on the 7pm reports. I have a lifetime membership so it's the main site I use. I follow Noz and the wiggle reports on the other thread, certainly can't claim to understand a lot of it though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy