Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

would you take your kids out of school to go skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Almost had a heart attack last night when looking to book a ski holiday for my family for next year. The problem is now my son is at school we're restricted to half term when prices are at their peak, I'm looking at 3.5k pounds for a week away for us (2 adults, a 5 year old and a 1 year old) and that doesn't include crèche for the little one. This is a huge amount of cash for a Hol just because it's half term. It seems I can instantly save a thousand pounds by going during term time but it kinda feels wrong taking my son of of school for a ski holiday? Just wondered how many of you guys would do it / done it in the past? Also if anyone has any ideas how to get away cheaply during half term I'd love to know Smile

Cheers Al
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a contentious topic - search through old threads for the full gory details. I would say if you do take him out of school be honest with your children and their school about the reasons why, and take any penalties (e.g. having it marked as an unauthorised absence) on the chin; doing otherwise may work but might also backfire. It's up to you whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages - it doesn't really matter what other people do or have done.

As to how to do it cheaply in half term: you will probably find that the biggest price inflation happens in larger French resorts and tour operators aimed at the British market. If you're prepared to go a little further, or to a smaller resort, or drive and self-cater instead of fly, or book direct rather than through a tour operator, you'll probably find the price increase during half term is much less (though I am sure there are counter examples). Also being restricted to school holidays doesn't just mean half-term - Christmas and Easter and much cheaper, though still more expensive than the non-school-holiday weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've done it - we're trapped a bit because my wife can't book time off over Christmas and has difficulty getting bank holidays off at Easter, and in Perthshire there is not a full week off school in February so, going to mainland Europe, we take a week and the lad misses a couple of days of school. We've even taken a fortnight to go to Canada and he's missed more school. Always had the unofficial blessing of his teacher and we do try to do a bit more than just skiing (visit family, museums, galleries, encourage him to speak the language etc).

Things might be different now he's at High School, but we'll see.

Of course, Scottish schools can't fine the parents the way, I believe, English schools can.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We took my eldest out of school in Year R and again in Year 2 - we got permissions both times BUT they have jus changed the rules so it is highly unlikely you will get permission now and it will appear as an "unauthorised " absence on the school stats and end of year report. As far as I can see that is it. If they have lots of repeated absences you may be fined (Pam posted the link on another thread with the Hampshire policy on fines).

I have booked for Easter 2014 season - but then my eldest will be in the Juniors school, plus I spotted a decent deal in school hols which was affordable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3 options:

1) Ski christmas and/or Easter instead. We do both because my missus struggles to get half term off but prices are much more reasonable. Christmas is marginally better IMV. Snow usually better, it's christmassy, it's not christmassy. But Easter has long days, better weather.

2) Go somewhere more out of the way, diy, self cater, etc to keep costs down. Requires more research and planning than you might normally undertake.

3) Go in term time. We may well start doing that if my wife can get the time off and perhaps when the eldest goes up to the next school in a years time. Personally it wouldn't bother me taking them for a week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is one more option I didn't mention before which I've used successfully in the past: go in term time but leave the children at home with their grandparents!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Bavaria, Germany during one Feb half-term holiday.

No increase in prices.

No queues.

Very reasonable prices.

Great skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, did you go independently or with a TO?

Thanks (sorry to hijack a bit)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could always ask the school what they think. They may be willing to put it down as "sports training". Elder son starts at secondary school in a few weeks time and they've already agree to do this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would happily take mine (and have done in the past) out of school during term time, assuming that it it wasn't a critical period, eg run up to exams. With the ages you are talking about I'd have no qualms about it, but as mentioned be honest with the school and the children to avoid awkward conversations. Unfortunately as Mrs Ansta1 recently started her new job as a Secondary Maths teacher we are now forever stuck to holidays only in school holiday time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1,
Quote:
Unfortunately as Mrs Ansta1 recently started her new job as a Secondary Maths teacher we are now forever stuck to holidays only in school holiday time.

Surely you mean "she is forever stuck" Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
Mike Pow, did you go independently or with a TO?

Thanks (sorry to hijack a bit)

Independently.

But very easily done.

Flight to Munich.

Train from Munich airport to Bayrischzell (via Munich).

Hotel Alpenrose 100 m walk from train station.

Bus & train to ski areas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5 years old.

Not doing exams etc, take them out. Pretend you have a family wedding in Geneva.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, thanks for that - I am going to look into that further.
snow conditions
Surely if a fine was issued for taking a child out of school the fine would still be less than the extra cost of going at half term!
snow conditions
Surely if a fine was issued for taking a child out of school the fine would still be less than the extra cost of going at half term!
ski holidays
ski holidays
do you sneeze when you pressed submit?
latest report
blahblahblah, Laughing Wouldnt submit and then wouldnt delete, after all these years you would think I could press or not press the buttons
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
ansta1,
Quote:
Unfortunately as Mrs Ansta1 recently started her new job as a Secondary Maths teacher we are now forever stuck to holidays only in school holiday time.

No Layne I mean 'We' are forever stuck, however I am not forever stuck as I can go when I like, but if 'We' go, it will be in School Holliboobs. The danger is with school able to set their own terms dates potentially coming up there is the danger the eldest will have different holiday dates to youngest which could be a right PITA
ski holidays
At that age - Most definitely YES
latest report
Mine is just coming up to year 11 and has been out of school skiing at least one week, often two or more and on one occasion for the entire winter every year since he started school. At 5 years old I wouldn't think twice about the decision but neither would I fib to the school.
snow report
so i'd say go for it. at age 5, a week out isn't going to destroy his chances of a first from oxbridge.

we did it, to an extent, last year, for our 6 year old son. scottish half term is a measly 3 days, so i asked for the additional 2 days.

we went to a locals resort in france, villard de lans, so it was prior to french 'ski weeks' starting and english half term. for the size of the area (120kms piste) prices of everything were very reasonable, snow was great, pistes were empty (we had 2 days of first tracks in knee-deep powder on piste at 10am!) and it was a wonderfully relaxed holiday. i don't mind the crowds and hullaballoo on the dads trip i also do, but with small children on a family holiday there's no need for 600kms of piste, abundant nightlife and associated costs. as long as there's enough for mum and dad to stretch their legs and then enjoy skiing with the kid(s).

we found that our son, once he'd 'got it', could ski all day but our daughter (coming up for 5 at the time) had 'tired ski legs' following a couple or 3 runs after lunch. as a result, i'd recommend to try and find somewhere with a good swimming pool complex. can't beat floating around and relaxing with the kids in the afternoon when their ski legs are tired.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Layne wrote:
ansta1,
Quote:

No Layne I mean 'We' are forever stuck, however I am not forever stuck as I can go when I like, but if 'We' go, it will be in School Holliboobs. The danger is with school able to set their own terms dates potentially coming up there is the danger the eldest will have different holiday dates to youngest which could be a right PITA

Complete thread drift BUT - while on the surface schools setting different term times could make holidays more affordable as you say when you have more than one child (or parent) in different schools it could become either impossible to take a holiday without one of them being takenoutnof term time - in addition I REALLY struggle as it is with finding school holiday Childcare cover and there is a lack of clubs around my area as it is let alone if there weren't set school holiday dates - that could make holiday clubs I have found unviable to run from the organisers POV if there are less schools on holiday for eah given date.
ski holidays
NickyJ, I am guessing that in reality schools under the same LA will align by default anyway (possibly with the odd exception maybe). As for making holidays more affordable again I think a similar position to the whole sheilas wheels type stuff.

"You cant discount women only because it's discriminating against men" - So rather than just but one gender up by by 50% of the difference and the other down by 50% of the difference they put the women up by 75% and the men down 25%. Win/Win for the insurance companies. The TO's and others in the market I would expect to follow a similar model and then there will be outrage from those without children in school about how much their holidays have now gone up.

Note - I hope this doesn't drift into an insurance and pricing for risk based discussion.
latest report
Have taken our 3 kids out of school for a week's skiing in January (normally) since 2006. Our eldest has just had his results for his Standard Grades/GSCE's and got 8 A's - so don't think it had too much of an effect Very Happy The other two are shaping up to be at least as clever. Thankfully never really had issues with the schools - probably because they are all in top groups for each subject.
latest report
Can this just be made a sticky?

Average take you kids out of school thread:

- It's a rip off
- ask permission
- new rules so no permission given
- you might be fined
- don't set a bad example to your kids
- f*** the state what right do they have to interfere in my life
- what about (insert hypothetical paranoid situation e.g. all schools in an area conspire to not have same dates for holidays0
- It's discrimination
- It's not discrimination it's supply and demand

Rinse and repeat ad naseum

Next - should kids be made to wear helmets?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, and don't even start on whether you should teach your own kids.....
ski holidays
Indeed, it's quite nice to go skiing when there are no screaming little brats.

Maybe people should be fined more.
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Indeed, it's quite nice to go skiing when there are no screaming little brats.

Maybe people should be fined more.

And the fines channelled directly to non-sprogged skiers as a thank you for their tax contribution to free childcare from 5-18 wink
snow report
I've never done it - but if it was a toss up between a holiday or no holiday - I'd do it without a moments hesitation.

Plus kids should definitely wear helmets, as should adults but that is an educated choice.

On teaching - a few lessons to get them going - then a couple a year as required.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
And the fines channelled directly to non-sprogged skiers as a thank you for their tax contribution to free childcare from 5-18 wink

think of it as a bribe so that kids don't rob your house while you're at work
snow report
If I had them - hell yes. You families are screwed over during school holidays and in all seriousness your child is 5, what is he going to miss that cant be taught on holiday or picked up when he comes home?
snow report
Arno, I do
ski holidays
Thanks for all your responses, i would definitely not lie to the school about it and would seek their 'unofficial approval' even though it'd be classed as unauthorized leave. I will also investigate some of the other suggestions made in particular the self cater option, the only thing that put me off that was the self catering apartments ive seen look very ropey. I think ill need to put in a lot more effort into this booking than normal.

Thanks again

Al
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy, we hired a really nice self catering apartment via Owners Direct in Le Grand Bornand. There are a good number of very nice looking ones in all sorts of resorts. Though if you are planning on flying I believe the flight costs may already be rather high.
latest report
If anybody is not planning to use the school places that, as a taxpayer, I have funded, can you arrange for me to have a refund please?
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, aged 5 I wouldnt think twice about taking my kid out of school - take a Goldstar workbook with you and do a bit each evening.

alti - dude, where would you like me to send the 1p it probably equates to? wink
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, see that's the attitude you get when things are 'free at the point of delivery'. Bet you don't arrive a second late for your ski lesson you pay for and get the right hump if they finish 5 mins early.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy