Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps for half term week - avoiding traffic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I did quite a bit of driving in Italy in August

pam w, so did I and I thought the speeds were mostly legal - quite un-Italian. I think people are generally driving more sensibly in the UK too - fuel costs must play a part.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, interesting that you detected a change too - I thought it was quite striking and even got sufficiently worried to double-check the limits, a couple of times. Even on the autostrada round Turin, which I recall being a bit of a racetrack in the past.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I used to dislike driving on autostrada because they were always a bit of a racetrack with lots of light flashing and tail-gating going on, whatever the conditions. The fastest car speeds I have ever seen have been in Italy yet, for whatever reason, they've suddenly been transformed into sensible, responsible driving exhibitions. German autobahns have become less stressy too - less de-restricted stretches.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, efficiency is not its strong point I admit, last ski trip we averaged 29mpg which gave us around 400 miles between stops. But, for reasons outlined elsewhere, it was of a very short list of cars which meet our criteria. In fact it is the only one which ticked all the boxes, so we have to live with poor mpg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, The horrors of driving in Italy. No doubt the reason noone overtook you was because they were all tailgating one metre behind you to conserve fuel.

We went to the Dolomites this summer and even on good roads spent hours crawling behind camper vans I think we averaged under 40kph for the whole section from Cortina to the motorway at Brixen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Italian "rules" for driving on the Autostrada are actually quite efficient imho. Any fuel conservation is a bonus too, but that's negated by the driving in Rome and Turin city centres.

You take care of the front and right hand side of your car, and every other driver does the same with theirs. There is no need to care about the left and rear because that's already taken care of by other people's front+right. The exception is when a Ferrari comes along. Then everyone makes space for it to pass. Nobody wants to view a Ferrari in the mirrors... they want to admire it's full beauty in front of their eyes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE, actually I found it a lot less problematical than I feared, even in Genova city, where I had to find several difficult addresses. However, I have never driven in the south - or even the middle, of Italy. One now very eminent person with whom I shared a room when I first started work gave me some priceless advice, handed down from his father, about conversations where you have to engage with some (possibly fairly incomprehensible) foreigner. When you really can't think of anything sensible to say, you say "I imagine it's very different in the North?" and that sets them off happily for a bit longer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Bode Swiller, interesting that you detected a change too - I thought it was quite striking and even got sufficiently worried to double-check the limits, a couple of times. Even on the autostrada round Turin, which I recall being a bit of a racetrack in the past.

Turin has become far more sensible in recent years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

dire shop

What a splendid typo. Actiually the Hire shop in Flaine was perfectly pleasant and let us change in the shop before heading out to the slopes.

Of course the weather was *perfect* and we had a great day. OTOH in Tignes at Easter the weather was dire and I wished we'd not bothered with the pass for that day.

So, driving overnight works well, and gets you an extra day in resort *providing* mother nature smiles on you wink

LR
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy