Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps for half term week - avoiding traffic

Poster: A snowHead
So I've now realised that the February half term week (15th) falls at the same time as Paris which means that travelling at normal times might be traffic prone.

My friend is a teacher, so even if he would take his son out of school, he can't take the day off!

So he will be working on the Friday which means that the earliest we could leave would be Friday evening, so the straightforward way would be leave on Friday night, stop somewhere near Reims overnight, drive during the day and get to resort later on the Saturday - probably Valmeinier.

What does anyone think of this? Is there a better option that might reduce the likelihood of traffic delays?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sid
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To start at breakfast in Reims would put you right in the firing line on a busy Saturday, the motorways will be fine except the tolls which you can help your self by having a telepeage doofer. The main problem may be approaching the resort. I have no idea re Valmeinier. You could rule 5 it and drive thro the night!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had thought that maybe the best option would be to drive through the night, we'll have two drivers so that wouldn't be a problem, it's just what to do when we get there, doubt I'll be in any state to ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kosciosco, Probably not fit to ski, but good time to get sorted out. Otherwise aim for somewhere about Luxembourg to stop - another hour or so, but worth considering.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are aiming for the French Alps and you end up in Luxembourg it is time to buy a new Sat Nav. wink

We had a family staying at ours one New Year and they had just been given a Sat Nav as a Christmas present. It took them via Belgium and Luxembourg, in total a 15 hour drive that should have taken them 9.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At least it is only Paris that week with the other two zones still at school.

Channel crossing will be a zoo and cheap hotels will book up early. I agree that a Reims stop will put you bang in the middle of the traffic.

If it were me (thankfully the youngest is off to uni this year so no more Feb half term for us) I would go direct from school gate to Dover/Folkestone, suffer the madness of crossing the channel and then get as far South as you can bear (at least Troyes, ideally further).

The bad Saturday traffic usually starts at Troyes then worse at Langres. If you can get this far before you stop and then have an early start you might get ahead of it.

Valmeinier is quite a bit furthe South than we go so I'm not sure about the last bit of the journey but arriving in resort early afternoon will be fairly manic.

Drive all night is worth considering. You could have a gentle ski on Saturday, then get sorted for the rest of the week but it is tiring even with two drivers if you have done a days work on the Friday.

Good luck!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS the Hôtel Azur in Reims is nice. They have secure parking but the street outside feels fine. It's in the centre so handy for some nice restaurants etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

At least it is only Paris that week with the other two zones still at school.

spoken like one of life's optimists, DJL, wink

kosciosco, your suggestion is probably the worst way of doing it. You need either to be far enough south overnight to get up into the resort early in the morning or leave it much later, aiming to arriving during Saturday evening. The former gives you the Saturday to ski (though you'll be tired) but you will probably not have access to your accommodation till 4 pm).

Given that you cannot leave till late on Friday afternoon and given the mayhem on the tunnel, with a high probability of frustrating delays, I think I'd go for the later option, crossing about 10 am on Saturday and hopefully being behind the main traffic. A télépéage doofer would be worth getting, but it won't stop you being caught up in miles of stationary traffic if you hit the gates at the wrong time.

Leaving resort, I'd definitely get yourselves organised to ski on the last Saturday, leave resort about 5 pm. Stop for a good dinner (sans alcool wink ) a couple of hours north then either drive through the night or stop over somewhere around Dijon, leaving you an easy drive home on Sunday.

Be aware that the A6 south from Paris - Lyon might be specially busy - might be better to take the route through Dijon - Bourg en Bresse, a bit further east.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, agreed, the alternative is to get past the Reims toll booths and stop around Chalons, tthere's a couple of places quite close to autoroute. Early start should see you ahead of traffic .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you decide to leave on Friday night your planning should probably allow for a good two hours delay at the tunnel.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and don't forget you lose the hour's time difference too. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sadly there are only three options , take it in turns to drive through the night and be like a Zombie on Sat , stay in say Reims and take the Jams on the chin or alternatively , leave relaxed on Sat mid morning crossing and just arrive late in the evening , the jams will subside later in the day .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I wouldn't say optimism - it's realism based on having personally done the trip 14 of the last 15 years.

The real disaster comes when UK half term is one of the middle French weeks and overlaps with zones C (Paris) and B (which has most of Northern France including Lille, Reims etc.) and then the whole of that coincides with the Dutch and Belgians. This year it is only UK, zone C and the Dutch so bad (and quite loud and orange on the slopes!) but not apocalyptic.

As others have said staying in Reims is initially attractive (only a single 2h 30m shift from Calais) but in reality is hopeless - you feed right into all the mess at Troyes and Langres the next morning and below Dijon will be horrible. Best bet if you don't want to do the all night thing is a long and tiring day on Friday to get as far south as possible (Dijon/Beaune area would be good if you can manage 5 hours on the Friday night) crash out at 02.00 am and then either make an early start and try to get to resort early (hard work if you only got to bed at 02.00) or have a lie in and chill out on the Saturday. It will be slow on the motorway but you don't have too far to go so you could take a few Route Nationale detours and see the country.

A few other suggestions:

- don't bank on getting any relaxation on the motorway service areas at conventional mealtimes - we usually use one of the local boulangeries off the motorway that we've found over the years and you can usually find something by pot luck
- don't let the Alpha driver do the first 4 hours straight so that at the point he (personal pronoun chosen carefully!) fancies a break the co-pilot is also nodding off.
- plenty of supplies in the car including more water than you think you need (and then drink it)
- some swear by red bull/similar or tablet based equivalents but I don't personally take that route
- last items into the boot (so easiest to access) should be snow chains & old gloves in a binbag, (head)torch and a 5l bottle of -20C screenwash

Thinking about my last tip above nobody has mentioned the weather yet. That can change everything with fog particularly horrible (worse than all but very heavy snow in my view). I generally calculate timings based on around 110kph/70mph average on the autoroute but fog can make a nonsense of that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, and Bison Fute is worth a look. English version here http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=en click on the tricolor for Francophones
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did it last feb half term to Morzine. Left friday, drove all night (3 drivers), arrived sat lunchtime and had a relaxed afternoon stocking up and checking out the bars. Snacks and water/juice in the car and when you stop for fuel have a double espresso, works a treat.
snow report
For me it would have to be a drive through the night job and get to the resort asap and ski. Yes, you will be knackered but the slopes will be relatively quiet. And it's a nice warm up for the week ahead. The only other IMO sensible option of driving Saturday daytime and arriving late may leave you in a bit better state on arrival but then you've the hassles of moving in to your accomodation. And the drive down will be dull whatever. Just my take. As a driver I survive on caffeine boosts and music through earphones to get me through.
snow report
There is another option, ski in Austria. Driving time isn't that much different (maybe even less depending on where you are going from/to) and the traffic won't be as bad (German Autobahns).
snow conditions
train
snow report
Sitter, Thats an idea but then you need to buy winter tyres which racks up the cost. Also its my experience that the German Autobahns are actually worse than the French Autoroutes in that they tend to be two lanes either side rather than 3.

I think the drive all night option is looking more and more attractive although we probably won't ski on the Saturday but get the extra Saturday at the end of the week and leave late and have a cruisey journey on the Sunday.
ski holidays
Skiing the last Saturday is always worth a go. Nice quiet slopes, let the crowds disperse and then head for the hills (or more likely the valley). Can be a bit of a pain if you have to check out of your accommodation before 10 but well recommended.
snow report
kosciosco, I'd argue that people should have winter tyres for France too regardless of the law. It's just better. Many Brits heading for Austria don't bother with winter tyres, nor do the hordes of Dutch, and they all seem to get away with it. I just stick winter tyres on the 4x4 for year round use.

Half the journey to Austria can be via French/Belgian and Luxembourg motorways and it can be very jam free if you pick your times and route. But when things go wrong on the autobahns they can go very wrong. But I'd always prefer heading for Austria at half term than France.
ski holidays
We have driven through the night and didn't find it too hard. You might not have the energy to ski the Saturday, but it's far more tiring to sit in traffic for hours on end.
latest report
kosciosco, given that you can't leave the UK till late-ish on Friday, driving all night might not work well. My niece did that, and if all had gone well they'd have been up into resort by 00830 am (and straight into my apartment). However they hit a major delay at Eurotunnel, absolute chaos, lost about 3 hours and then had bad weather - snow chains on just up the hill from Sallanches, which is very unusual. then took two hours crawling in snow along the Arly Valley, for a journey which normally would have taken about 50 minutes maximum.

The thing is that you need to stay flexible and be prepared for delays at the tunnel, from traffic, and from snow (other friends took 20 hours to get here from Calais, because all the French motorways north of about Dijon were snowy and cars had to do 30 mph behind a snowplough. That's unusual - they were unlucky - but have plenty of food and drink in the car and be prepared.
latest report
pam w, sounds like fun! I've driven to the Alps for the last 5 years and never had any snow on the way except the last time which was very light.

I think the main issue will be the tunnel, I'm guessing from all the advice here that even being booked on a specific train doesn't lessen the impact of it being half term!

I'm now beginning to wonder whether tagging along with my half term restricted friend and his family is such a good idea, all of this talk of queues and traffic is making me pine for my non stop cruise to Chambery in early May!
snow conditions
kosciosco, ...we have driven at half term for years, to CH, and follow two patterns:

hit ferry at 7pm, drive to F1 or B&B hotel around chaumont, then up early and via besancon into CH, arrive early afternoon for first skiing sunday. Never had any delays at all.

hit ferry at 7pm, drive to arras B&B hotel, leave 9ish via besancon into CH, arrive mid eve for first skiing sunday. Never had any delays at all.

But I have driven to 3V and hit the horror queues from Albertville to Moutiers. Arrivin there anytime after 10am is pretty much a disaster. I used to use the little road through the villages but the last time I tried that (5 years ago) I got thrown off the road and into the queue by the Gendarmes - who were quizzing everyone on the little parallel road as to where they were going and if not prepared to lie convincingly in French then you got pushed back onto the Autoroute.

For halfterm, try skiing in CH - Nendaz, here in Crans Montana, etc. Accommodation now heavily discounted, lift prices frozen, food on the hill less than France. And no horrible autoroute Qs at all....
snow report
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/Sanef-Tolling/

Link to free* tele doofer.
ski holidays
jbob, Peage doofer is good (particularly for the all night thrash or if solo as you dont have to wake co-pilot or reach over to the left hand side/scrabble for cash or card) but if the autoroute is clogged with a 5 mile tailback to the peage it only saves you queuing for the last 200yards when it widens.

valais2, The route through Besancon is our usual one but in busy weeks (including half term) the queue for the Swiss border at Vallorbe before you drop down to Lausanne can be horrible. All caused by checks for the Swiss vignette but even if you have one you are still stuck in the queue. There is a work around through the minor roads but it is not straightforward and can be dodgy in full winter conditions.
snow report
DJL, ....that's a surprise re Vallorbe. We usually hit Vallorbe at 4-5pm and only once have had any more than 2-5 mins wait, and that's in over 10 years and 4 times per year. It was once backed up to the grassy corner with the lay-by (ie just before the road splits into trucks/cars), so 10-15 mins to the border post but that was it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2, Time of day thing I suspect. We are usually there quite a bit earlier and it can back up well beyond the big parking area by the ski lifts. That must be a couple of km I guess.
snow report
jbob, Second the telepeage doofer. It also debits the cost of the tolls a month after travel.
snow report
DJL, ...interesting, guess we will continue to leave it a bit later then. It only makes sense for us to get there earlier if we can be there at 7-8am, then 3hrs to resort and then possibly on the snow at 1-2pm. But usually pretty tired from the journey so we find it better to do later and then prep in the evening and get out first thing the next morning.
latest report
kosciosco,
Quote:
I'm now beginning to wonder whether tagging along with my half term restricted friend and his family is such a good idea, all of this talk of queues and traffic is making me pine for my non stop cruise to Chambery in early May!

I wouldn't sweat it. I've only had one really bad experience with the tunnel/weather (trip report). It's luck of the draw. I've had minor delays, weather issues a couple of other times but the vast majority no probs at all. I haven't been half term but it still largely applies (given you know the options to avoid the worst).
snow conditions
Quote:

I haven't been half term

there's a whole world of difference..... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I'm a big advocate of the Ferry. The Brasserie on the two large P&O ferries is really very good and is a much more relaxing experience than the tunnel. If going overnight it is quite good to have a decent meal and lots of strong coffee.
ski holidays
pam w, I don't think I will ever beat my christmas 2009 trip no matter how many half terms I went. If kosciosco, takes a late tunnel, drives overnight and gets into resort as early as he can, the odds are he will be fine. If not, he will only be in a slightly worse doo dah than he would be already!

The biggest problem for me is booking a tunnel time because the M1/M25 are just so unreliable. It could be 2 hours, it could be 5. At Christmas it's too busy to get bumped so if we leave 5 hours and it goes smoothly we could be wasting 2-3 hours driving time drinking tea at the services. Such is life - be happy, don't worry.
ski holidays
emwmarine, Too many big storms and very high seas in winter. I'm good on the water but one time even I thought we were all going to die (2 hours and 2 tugs just to get the ferry out of the harbour, rest of the crossing listing at a 45 degree angle while bouncing over the waves), give me the tunnel any day Very Happy
latest report
robapplegate, +1
snow report
boredsurfin, +2
latest report
we drive overnight to the alps, and cannot leave till late on a friday and i would offer the following tips (some have already been given):

1)pack a pillow and a blanket for the co-driver to sleep with - they sleep better and therefore are refreshed for their stint
2) get a flexiplus ticket for the eurotunnel - it is £200 one way but will allow you to go straight onto the next available train (and often at the front of it) regardless of any delay. it is valid for a week either side of your booked time, so doesn't matter if you are caught in traffic/make good time. It also has a separate check-in lane, again resulting in a quicker throughput.
3) get a doofer for tolls - brilliant thing
4) have an agreement that if any driver is too tired to continue then they pull over and offer the other driver the chance to drive OR the whole car stops so everyone gets an hour's kip.
5) have flask of coffee/cans of drink/bottles of water and food in the car

we found the ferry slower and unless you sleep not that restful (but one of us sleeps on the tunnel)
you do arrive in the mountains tired, but you get there with enough time to sort out your ski boots and maybe a little ski. and you get to nab the best parking places.
snow conditions
We've tried all different times setting off for The Alpes, driving through the night, kipping in the car..... Finally and without too much argument agreed that setting off at 4 in the morning (5 hour drive to Folkestone Sad ) suits us and get on the 10 am train. We then drive solidly taking 2 hour driving slots with a couple of short breaks until we hit resort. The toll doofer is brilliant and well worth investing in, euro tunnel had an offer on than waivers some of the fees not sure if its still on. Usually we hit resort about 8ish dump the contents of the truck in the apartment and head out for something to eat.
Also if you can travel on a sunday we've found this to be a lot quieter......almost zero trucks on the road! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy