Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps for half term week - avoiding traffic

Poster: A snowHead
kez, We did that at New Year a few years ago. Took us just over 5 hours to get to Lyon from Calais, drove for another 2 hours ,then sat in a jam for 8! We now do the same on the day before changeover and stay somewhere overnight, get up first thing and mooch up to the resort. It's that or overnight for us.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lorries are restricted on French autoroutes on a Sunday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

are they? I naively thought they were just having a day off. They are prohibited throughout the Alps on Saturdays when it's busy, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Quote:

Took us just over 5 hours to get to Lyon from Calais

Shocked Remind me not to me on the road when you are, Neraida. It's over 700 km.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've often driven to the Alps or southern France in the summer, but never for a skiing trip so I can't offer winter-specific advice. Personally, though, I've given up on the through-the-night thing as it's just too unpleasant and, adding fatigue into the equation, it's frankly dangerous for anyone without an unusual ability to defy their biorhythms.

Why not shake things up a little? Use Friday after work for packing and set off behind the crowd on Saturday morning. Drive a few hours in France, enjoy an evening meal and stop over before you get tired, then lazily finish the trip on Sunday. Ski Monday to Saturday and, having packed the car early on the final Saturday morning, find a motorway hotel a couple of hours away from the resort after your last day's skiing. Enjoy an evening meal and a comfortable sleep, get up early and enjoy Sunday's quiet roads. The only snag is that you waste (or feel as if you're wasting) a day of your accommodation, and you need to be sure that someone will be around to give you access on the Sunday.

Apart from being wonderfully relaxing and avoiding the the whole sleep deprivation thing, this approach leaves you much less vulnerable to bad weather or unexpected delays bu chucking loads of contingency into the system. And, while the chances of it happening aren't huge, I personally wouldn't want to be caught overnight in a winter storm on a French motorway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would go for driving all night in shifts. We can get from Belfast to south/east Lyon in about 15 hours. If driver gets sleepy just stop. No point in holding us all up while the emergency services mop up your remains Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones there is an increasing amount of accommodation available from Sun-Sun now. Being caught in a snowstorm during the morning on a French autoroute is bad enough. Val Moret to Calais is a very long way in a blizzard.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, 485 miles. More accurate to say 5.5 hours. I guess that is moving somewhat, but the road is a good one and if the weather's good, it's very quick.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

are they? I naively thought they were just having a day off. They are prohibited throughout the Alps on Saturdays when it's busy, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Quote:

Took us just over 5 hours to get to Lyon from Calais

Shocked Remind me not to me on the road when you are, Neraida. It's over 700 km.

Pam,
As I understand it most class 1 an 2 ( C and C+E) goods vehicles are banned from the road network between the hours of 10 p.m Saturday and 10 p.m Sunday. This is in addition to the Alpine complete weekend bans that come in and also bans on public holidays.

probably a good business in running a 7.5 ton vehicle regularly down to the alps as these are exempt.

Brian
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have driven overnight 3 times now (twice this year) and it was fine.

e.g. Feb half-term we took an evening tunnel, drove until about 2am, slept in an Aire for a few hours and continued at about 6:30 for the final drive into the resort. We were parked up and in the dire shop by 9:30 and on the slopes shortly after.

We can ski happily all day, but by early evening are pretty shot.

Mind you, that was Flaine, which is an easy-peasy drive. Tignes at Easter was more of a challenge (a couple of hours on "normal" roads in pouring rain).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Val Moret to Calais is a very long way in a blizzard

Being pedantic, but it's the same distance whatever the weather wink But agreed, we reckon 4-hours between the 2 points normally but can take a lot longer in bad weather, although rare when it happens it does have similar impact to snow on M25 eg everything stops!

Quote:

I thought refrigerated were allowed?

driving through night is an option but I couldn't do it, have worked a few nights recently and there is no way I would trust myself in car with kids come 3am. breaking up the journey is my preferred option with a night in hotely
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, we were moving along, but we were behind two snow ploughs for most of the journey.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were on stretch near Troyes once when it started dumping, I have never been so glad to get of a road in my life it was horrible
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

in the dire shop by 9:30

was it really that bad? wink

I think that the itinerary suggested by Jonny Jones is a good one. The Sundays without the lorries are good (I generally travel out on a sunday as the UK part of the journey is much better then too) quite apart from the lower-stress time of arrival and departure from resort.

Neraida, your timing is still manic. An average speed of over 88 mph means you are doing a lot more than that part of the time (after all you have to slow down and stop several times for tolls, driver change, fuel etc.). And you will also be stuck sometimes whilst overtaking behind someone who stubbornly insists on driving to the speed limit. And IME there is usually at least one stretch of roadworks, speed-limited. If you really did that journey in that time then you were driving illegally almost all the way.

I do 5 or 6 return trips to the Alps every year. I've driven overnight several times - in good weather, good visibility (and sticking to speed limits wink ) but I find it difficult to predict how I will feel, and am always prepared to stop if necessary. One of the many reasons I don't drive at half term is the concern about just how many drivers, already tired after a day's work, are driving too fast, too stressed and determined to get there at all costs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I am a "go overnight fan". Take two drivers and swap every couple of hours and follow rule 4 from grey, Friday night is not too bad but sometimes during the week all the rest areas are full of trucks with exactly the same idea. And I find the ferry more reliable but less restful than the tunnel.

Getting to Dover will be the most stressful part of the journey

Do not try to be too early in the resort. If there has been snow the roads will be much easier to negotiate after some traffic has been up and down. May I suggest 08:00 as about the earliest.

Breakfast in a resort cafe is fantastic, you will soon forget about the tiredness. A posh breakfast on the ferry can also be a delight.

Talking books are a great way to pass the time while sitting on a deserted French motorway with the cruise control set at 130.

LittleRob, where was this
Quote:
dire shop
?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me to - I reckon 8-hours is comfortable including stops if roads are ok
ski holidays
Quote:

Boris, we were moving along, but we were behind two snow ploughs for most of the journey.

IIRC you are not allowed to overtake snow ploughs when they have the blue lights flashing. Not that you want to. They fair motor along.
snow conditions
pam w, You make it sound like I'm driving like a bat out of hell (snot me, it's my husband and he mostly does the lot) Confused To be honest, the cruise gets set and there are few lane hoggers on the Autoroute, compared to the UK. There is the odd spurt on a long clear bit of road, but in a large saloon that has plenty of power, is very comfy and not tiring at all to drive (Audi A8 ) it's no biggie. No fuel stops are necessary if the tank's filled up at Auchan, Calais and there's no dangerous driving going on. Promise!
It takes the same amount of time to get from Bath-Durham and that's a 300 mile trip. It's all about the roads.

PS If you think that's bad, we averaged 96mph from the Mont Blanc tunnel to the port of Ancona, Italy a few years ago, but we were just keeping up with the natives.
Razz
snow report
Neraida, appreciate the roads are good and clear, but that's an AVERAGE of 88mph based on your timings Shocked

Perfectly possibly I'm sure, there are not that many toll booths after all, but rather you than me
snow report
Neraida, it's nothing to do with the way I "make it sound". Driving at an average of 88 mph is way, way over the limit (you are likely to be doing the kind of speed, part of the time, which could result not just in a fine but the immediate confiscation of your car, at the roadside, if you are caught). And if one driver does all that without even stopping for petrol then it is, without a doubt, dangerous, however brilliant a driver he thinks he is.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Me to - I reckon 8-hours is comfortable including stops if roads are ok

Me too. 8 hours is the average for us, Montalbert to Calais. Generally I reckon on a 12 hour journey time, from North West Hampshire to Montalbert. (ex CET)
Longest delay has been 3 hours on the roads and on a separate occasion a 3 hour delay on the Tunnel for which we received compensation. ( A refund and a free crossing)

It's getting quicker as the French Motorways/routes improve and more 30kph tolls are installed. Plus my car efficiency now means I can do the journey on one tank of fuel so no more fuel stops. However, the weather plays a part, last week it was driving rain most of the way there so many k's done at sub 120kph but bright sunshine all the way back Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 4-09-13 20:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w, I suspect that Neraida, actually misinterpreted when they where in Lyon. Since you do not actually go into Lyon it is easy to think you are there, when in fact you are some distance away. This is why the next sentance says
Quote:

drove for another 2 hours ,then sat in a jam for 8

It is about 2 - 2.5 hours from Lyon Airport (which is as close to Lyon as I get) to Les Arcs. So they should be well past Albertville by 2 hours before hitting the jam.

Normally I think of being somewhere south of Dijon at 5 hours (usually just) but on the autoroute the exact position of towns is hard to judge.

I may be wrong but I thought the car confiscation stuff started when you were way over the limit, 20 or more kph, but perhaps I am wrong.
snow conditions
Averaging over 160km an hour will get your car confiscated and I do not do that, ever. Fines are in place for over 145km an hour between tolls and not once have I been stopped. In the past 3 years, we've done over 30,000 miles of continental driving without any issues with police.
My original post was to highlight the massive queues to the Tarantaise, not to shout about how 'clever' I am at driving fast.
Most of the time it takes longer (I drive through France at least three times a year). This was a single occurence. It could even been more than 5.5 hours, depending on what one's sat nav counts as 'being in Lyon'. My sat nav counts 'moving time' so add half an hour for breaks.
Having just interrogated my husband about the distance, he has looked at the route and says 465 miles. That averages at 84mph/135.3 mph on a non-stop trip.
snow conditions
I think all this 88 or 96mph average thing is all willy waving, if Neraida had a willy that is. To average 88mph you need to be hitting 120-130 a lot of the time because those little slow downs you get for tolls, in/out of services, speed restrictions and other traffic, are really tough to make back up. Travelling at those speeds means you are often going 60mph faster than the traffic in the other lane, separated by just a white line, and you find yourself having to second guess what they may or may not do (especially lower powered buses, vans and lorries). Doesn't matter which car you're in, the concentration required to stay alive hour after hour is knackering. So, pointless.
snow report
johnE, That's about right. Like I said previously, this was a comparison with the 40km jam to the resort that took 8 hours on a NYE.
snow report
looking at a couple of websites, anyone clocking 25 kph over the speed limit (ie 96.8 mph in a 130 kph limit or 84.3 mph on a wet motorway) can have their licences confiscated. Not an AVERAGE of 25 kph over the limit!

There is no way you could average 88 mph without driving at over 96 some of the time. There are plenty of radar traps and radar detectors are illegal and result in confiscation of the vehicle. I reckon you are living on borrowed time, Neraida - maybe time to start sticking to the limits?
snow conditions
pam w, you can't average 88 mph (142 kph) without hitting 195-200 kph for lengthy periods.
latest report
Thanks for the warning of which autoroutes and likely times to avoid Wink

6 hours is about my limit after a day's work. 8 is kind of my limit on any form of transport, and I'll really be starting to become impatient and wanting to get there asap. Much prefer 6 hours then stopover and a couple of hours first thing and get on the slopes, than a straight 9 hours overnight.

Used to drive at 140kph for extended periods on German autobahn, where it is possible, but now prefer to save a few €0.01 on fuel and keep it a consistent indicated 125. Average will still be well down on those numbers.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Yes of course, you're right.

pam w, I don't even know what distance we're talking about to average that speed anymore. 130km/hr is the speed limit however in good conditions and the distance comes in at under 6 hours if you do the maths. What would you consider a reasonable time to do that trip? Apologies for the light-hearted way I made my post. I ought to remember it's an internet forum afterall.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neraida, I calculated 88 based on your comment of

Quote:

485 miles. More accurate to say 5.5 hours.

Appreciate that you can shift on motorways and 90ish mph is an easy cruising speed when quite. I ain't no saint Toofy Grin Just difficult to maintain

Quote:

Plus my car efficiency now means I can do the journey on one tank of fuel so no more fuel stops

boredsurfin, with the Disco we can get easily from Calais to errrr first service station on one tank Laughing
snow report
Boris, I went for 465, which comes out at about 84 - safely doable depending on your outlook/conditions blah blah and once south of Lyon, the road just doesn't allow for that kind of speed. I can't be entirely sure, but passed the exit for Lyon per se and unlike you, don't have to do any stops for fuel Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-09-13 21:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Neraida, certainly doable (if illegal) to travel at 84 mph on a clear motorway. But what isn't doable, as Bode Swiller has set out above, is to average anything like that without going way, way, over the limit at times. There is also a good deal of respectable research into road accidents which shows that concentration/focus will lapse after about 2 hours solid driving - that's why there are those signs telling you to take a break. Driving for 5 hours without a break is dangerous, especially hitting huge speeds.

Quote:

with the Disco we can get easily from Calais to errrr first service station on one tank

Laughing
ski holidays
however, the good news is that the rate of death and serious injury on French roads continues to plummet. The relevant authority attributes most serious accidents to "speed" and the reduction to the increased surveillance and new mobile radar detection. http://www.france24.com/en/20130711-france-hails-huge-drop-road-deaths
snow report
pam w, 84mph is the average I worked out! It's 3mph over the legal limit and I repeat, there is still some doubt on what the actual distance was. There was virtually NO traffic on the route, hence no reason to slow down and there are 3 tolls??
We always make a couple of stops, as I said above. The sat nav records moving speed and does not include breaks.
We had passengers in the car (female) that were completely happy. My husband is well aware of his fatigue limits and I and many others trust his driving. Anyone would think we'd been travelling at warp speed. I give up.
So what speed do you drive at on UK motorways and on French Autoroutes?
snow report
Boris, We always smile when a Disco goes flying past us and then into the next services.
On one trip a distinctive Disco with TWO roof boxes went flying past us 5 times!
Some people never learn, or have more money than sense!
My 4x4 does around 45+ to the gallon (at sensible speeds) and has a 95 litre tank, so I can easily be smug Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin, 950 miles on a tank is the stuff of dreams. I'm guessing it's the 2 litre blue efficiency jobbie?
snow report
Bode Swiller, Oh yes and it really does Very Happy I believe Jeep are selling a cheaper version of the same thing?
It's not 950 to a tank ...or is it, (945 actually) I get confused with the litre to Gallon conversion, the litre to 100k is even more meaningless Toofy Grin Plus of course the Road tax is only £120 rather than £440 on the old model.
If only I could drive it and get 45mpg all the time, although I have really tried hard and done Thruxton to Andover on the A303 and it said I had done 65mpg for the 9 miles but I certainly couldn't drive like that all the time Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin, think you'll find that Jeep and Merc are still sharing chassis and majority of running gear despite the Fiat ownership of Jeep now. The issue is that the new Grand Cherokee with a 3.0 engine can be had barely used for £25k, whereas the Merc "equivalent" is nudging £40k. You have gotta drive to the Moon and back to recoup the difference in fuel cost.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Flippin 'eck is that what the Merc costs, good job I'm not paying for all of it wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin, a lightly used ML 250 with a mild bit of bling is £39k ish on average. I just looked on Autotrader. Crazy.
ski holidays
Quote:

I give up

I give up too, Neraida, as you don't seem to understand the difference between the average speed (which you calculate was 3 mph over the speed limit) and your top speed during that journey, which will have been well over the limit given that you had to slow down for a couple of stops and 3 toll gates (and from memory I don't think the whole of that stretch is 130, either).

However, if your calculation doesn't take into account stops, then you didn't do Calais - Lyon in 5.5 hours, you did it in 5.5 hours plus stops, which (whilst still illegal) is beginning to sound a bit more sensible.

I try to drive a little below the speed limits, wherever I am driving, as it makes the fuel go a whole lot further. If it creeps up my satnav warns me, and I ease off. But on winter journeys to the Alps precipitation is not uncommon, then the limit is below 70 mph. I did quite a bit of driving in Italy in August and was surprised at how few vehicles passed me, when I was driving at the speed limit, except in the tunnels round Genoa when nobody drives at much less than twice the limit (which is very low). Maybe the Italian police are, like their French cousins, coming down a lot heavier on speeding.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy