Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI1 - Participants' Stories

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
TTT wrote:
Most people who have issues lack self-awareness and are resistant to change.

Oh, I don't know. I can think of some other reasons. To be fair to the client in question who probably paid over £400 for the privilege, the outcome doesn't seem ideal. I wonder what the Product Manager would make of it?

I don't know what was said, but the 'tough love' approach seems a cop out. If the representative of a training organisation gave a subjective view on my performance along the lines of "That was sh$t, do it better" I'd be asking for my money back. Among other things.

However, if the representative was able to express succinctly how and why my technical performance differed from their ideal, and how I should go about addressing the difference, it seems there should be little room for upset.

Either way, the client seemingly came away from the process disillusioned, which is the exact opposite outcome you would wish for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fixx, I think no respectable trainer would yell at people and yet at 2 years skiing you're still a spring chicken in your skiing life (even if, living in GVA you've been packing in 50+ days a season). Talk to Rob n Scott about a development plan but unless you desperately need structure I'd advise enjoying your season, ski with as many people as possible (if you're in Chamonix you'll always have a steady throughput of sHs) and take periodic privates with a trusted instructor to give you the next thing to focus on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fixx, don't rush it. There are many reasons that I chose to do the course this summer but I would have been happier if I'd left it for a few more months (or possibly longer) so that I could work on getting the basics right. If your instructor is focussing on your performance then that will put you in a very good position to do the qualification at a later date.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fixx, I'm also at the ios November weekend, happy to talk about my basi experiences!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A trainers insight

If your looking for a structured course there a lots of really good courses our there ( mine included I hope www.alpinecoachingsnowsports.com : ) But it needs to be remembered BASI is issuing a licence that says you have a level of competence as an instructor. It can be used as a performance course, and you will improve but will need to make changes. As trainers we are guardians of the level and have a duty to measure performance against the agreed (BASI) level. This protect all qualified BASI members, employers and customer who use our services.

As a trainer firstly your duty is to train your students and help them reach the level. A trainers role also becomes that of an assessor. At this point the trainer needs to measure the performance to see if it matches the outcome level. It is important to be honest, objective and be able to separate the person from the performance.

People fail BASI courses ( me included in the past), but you need to keep on going if you really want it and make all the required changes. BASI quite quickly takes a person from the unconscious incompetence phase, to the conscious incompetence phase ( this is quite painful) Once the learner can take this on board they will start making changes and develop to the conscious competence phase. Learning requires a change in behaviour from the learner, I think sometimes people struggle with this. Learning takes time ( training / practice/ coaching), learnt stuff is permanent ( that’s the good bit)!

If you want it enough you will get it. If you want it on your terms you will be disappointed.

PSG
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gilleski wrote:
Learning requires a change in behaviour from the learner, I think sometimes people struggle with this.

Yep, I also think that there is an element of '(Re)Learning how to Learn' when embarking on this sort of process but it's also one of the big benefits to be gained.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never seen a trainer yell but I have seen a couple of instructors yelling at clients (even children!).

[rant]
It shows their attitude to teaching and people stinks. Makes me question why they bother teaching but suspect it's to make up for an inferiority complex rolling eyes . If a client does well, it's their achievement. If a client does poorly, it's the instructor's failure. I despise instructors who make their clients wrong (yell) - they should take a long look in the mirror and question their own abilities.
[/rant]
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

[rant]
I despise instructors who make their clients wrong (yell) - they should take a long look in the mirror and question their own abilities.
[/rant]

+1M

I wish there was more of a culture/system of continuous professional development for instructors. Even if the instructor doesn't want to advance through the system and is happy to stay at L1, L2, whatever, refreshing every few years just isn't enough. Too many (albeit a minority) seem happy to get their licence and then just sit on their laurels rather than getting better. If I was managing a ski school then every instructor would get have to frequently be shadowed by another, and every instructor would have to frequently do some (paid) shadowing, both to give feedback to the shadowee and give ideas to the shadower. We identify shadowing as a vital part of qualifying, but then it seems to stop.

Fortunately the majority of instructors that I see are pretty good, and they really care about skiing and their clients, and doing the best they can.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been very lucky in having had a lot of very good instruction. I've come a long way in a relatively short time. As I understand it HH run regular sessions for their instructors so there is always an opportunity to improve. There's enough competition in the market that really bad instructors won't last too long.

I can understand why this gets more difficult as you get towards the top of the tree. If you're capable of teaching maths at research level learning to teach primary school addition must be frustrating. Unfortunately that's the market.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy