Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI1 - Participants' Stories

Poster: A snowHead
I've just completed the 5 day BASI 1 course. Here's my summary of the week (spread over two weekends).
It would be great to hear others experiences, so please add to this thread if you've been there too.

Why?
I felt my skiing had plateaued and I needed a new challenge. I've seen several other people go through the BASI system and all have visibly improved from the experience. I spoke to a couple of instructors who I've worked with who gave me an honest appraisal of my performance. Whilst I wasn't confident that my skiing was good enough to secure a pass, I felt comfortable enough with my technique that I knew I would benefit from the week.

When & Where?
I'd used up all of my holiday allowance so taking a week off wasn't an option, even less going out to the mountains. I live and work in Hertfordshire so Hemel was the obvious choice and I knew that they sometimes run the course split over two weekends. The only date advertised was over the first two weekends of August. So that was when I was going to do it.

Preparation:
Having made the decision to do the course and knowing that I was not going to be the strongest candidate (I started skiing in 2008 and while I have done a lot of courses and practice I'm not a natural athlete), I went into overdrive at HH. I reckon I clocked up 40 hours of skiing in July including both technical training and practice hours. Many of the staff now recognise me Embarassed.

Who takes the course?
There were ten candidates. I was slightly surprised how many were under 25 as I thought the weekend course would be packed out with wage slaves. However school/uni holidays aren't really that long and even teenagers have responsibilities. In the introductions it became clear that the majority of the older candidates had plans to use the qualification immediately for teaching the younger ones were looking to strengthen UCAS applications, keep up with their peers and had more immediate educational priorities.

How was it?
Really good. The group gelled quite well and we appreciated each others strengths. The course covers teaching and technical performance which needs a variety of approaches. I learned to ski as an adult so I had a better understanding of some of the theory and more recent experience of learning than many of the group. Others had a background in racing, had amazing balance from freestyle or had done some teaching already. Everybody contributed and noone was left on the sidelines. Much of this was due to the inclusive attitude of the trainer. Seeing everyone develop was fantastic and gave all of us the opportunity to observe each others technique and learn how to recognise some of the more common faults and how to overcome these. Eight out of the got a full pass and two passed the teaching criteria but need a technical resit.

How did I do?
I achieved my primary objective, which was to improve my skiing and to learn more about the BASI method. I didn't achieve my secondary objective which was to pass the whole course. This was a fair assessment of my performance over the weekend and, having seen the video, I wouldn't have passed me either. I do know what I need to do to meet that objective and it is a realistic goal.

Next Steps:
Keep on keeping on.

My sincere thanks to anyone and everyone who has offered me encouragement and support over the last couple of months. You all helped to put me in a better place and started to shorten the odds.

Congratulations:
To the other two snowHeads on the course who I hope I'll be seeing a lot more of over the upcoming few months as they complete their shadowing hours. Congratulations to you both Cool.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-08-13 12:57; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a photo (FB?) and I thought I spotted you! Well done on achieving goal 1. That's far better than I would have done. Who passed?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little ms spock,
Quote:

Well done on achieving goal 1. That's far better than I would have done

This.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
little ms spock, Well done on committing to the course and good look for the "keep on keeping on", not that you'll need it. My only advice would be to be sure to enjoy the whole process. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, Pedantica, don't underrate yourselves. Willingness to change is key. I just about met the 16 weeks on snow criteria, if you include snowdome practice.
holidayloverxx, I'll let them identify themselves, if they so wish. Both are reasonably regular posters here.

AndAnotherThing.., thank you. I'm trying not to take this too seriously. I'm slightly disappointed, but I'm determined.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
little ms spock,
Quote:

Willingness to change is key

Rob and Scott command my blind obedience. That'll do me, I think. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little ms spock, Really pleased you enjoyed the course, keep going.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little ms spock, congratulations! Seriously, one small hurdle to go - everything else is there (and much of it is probably above the level too!). Your attitude rocks and you'll be an awesome instructor xx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little ms spock, Soooo, you gonna post the vid?? Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALQ, I don't have it. Although I did ask for it. Unfortunately everything was shot in one piece so, even if I do get the footage, it would be difficult to get my performance separated out from the rest of the group and I wouldn't want to post anything up without everyone's agreement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trainers don't usually let candidates take a copy of their video IME.

little ms spock, keep at it, things will fall in to place.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was one of the other snowheads on the course! (really needs some dramatic stepping-out-of-the-shadows sound effect there)

In the spirit of little ms spock's original post, here are my thoughts:

I went into this already holding an instructor qualification, so my goals were slightly different: I wanted to get the BASI perspective on teaching beginners, to improve my own teaching and skiing through a week's training with a top instructor, and ideally pass so I could then go on to do the BASI L2. Happily I achieved all three.

I have done a lot of Snow Sports England-based training (currently working on my SSE L2) so I already have a strong background on the technical aspects, central theme, and how to deliver a good demonstration of snowplough etc. I also have hundreds of hours of dry-slope teaching under my belt. Before the course skimottaret and others assessed me as "at or above the level required". Given that, I would have been somewhat surprised if I didn't make the BASI L1 grade.

Was it easy though? No. Even with my background there were things I needed to improve on during the week, and the trainer kept the pressure on to develop my skiing and demonstrations further. This was a good thing as I often find it hard to get really critical feedback on how to improve, and there was no shortage of this.

Was it fun? Yes! As little ms spock said, we had a nice group dynamic and I really enjoyed working with everyone else. We all had different strengths and were able to help each other through the course.

I was pleasantly surprised that the course contained a fair bit of content on teaching - I had the misconception that BASI L1 was more about personal performance. However, I think in the assessment as to who passed a lot more weight was given to the personal performance in long and short turns than the quality of the teaching and demonstrations of snowplough and so on. This is, in my opinion, a shame as to me that is where a good instructor needs to excel. There is kind of an assumption that the instructors will just pick all this up during the shadowing hours, which might work OK for some. I think/hope that this is one of the biggest differences for the BASI L2 where the demonstrations would need to be a lot better.

It was great having little ms spock on the course, both as a friendly face that I already knew, and to introduce me to all the other snowheads working/skiing there during the week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i was thinking of taking the course to teach in my spare time, was wondering if anyone works in chill factore,
i know they work on a no hours contract, how many hours are available? what s the rate of pay?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was the third snowhead. I will write a proper post when I have the time but I agree with all of the above. However, I would like to say that IMO little ms spock achieved a deferred pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elston, well done you too Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

a deferred pass.

Is there such a thing in BASI? Puzzled I thought that not quite making the level and being asked to do a tech resit was in effect the same thing
ski holidays
skimottaret, he is being kind (it was in his humble opinion)
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

a deferred pass.

Is there such a thing in BASI? Puzzled I thought that not quite making the level and being asked to do a tech resit was in effect the same thing

No, there isn't but with her great attitude and dedication to learning she will pass. Its just a question of when.
ski holidays
couldnt agree more Elston, I just wanted to check BASI hasn't changed something... snowHead
snow conditions
Good luck for the resit little ms spock!

I sat my basi 1 in Tux last week, 7 out of the 10 passed, all passed the teaching so the 3 have to do a one day technical resit, thankfully I passed Very Happy

I really enjoyed it, I mainly did it to improve my own skiing and got some really good and focused feedback, more than I have had from other instructors, even on week long courses so I was happy with that side of it. I really enjoyed the teaching and technical discussion side of it as well and would now like to do my L2 although I'm not at the standard yet.

I think if you want to improve your skiing then the L1 is a good idea, everyone in my group had things to work on during the week and it is as much about having the ability to change your skiing and do exactly what is required. I think people who have skied for a long time might find it more difficult to change their skiing style and so might find the L1 tougher than they imagined. I found it a pretty tough week, physically and mentally. We skied from 9-1.30 or 2pm each day then had about 2 hours of performance review and teaching after that. Every bit of skiing we did was focused, the only freesking we did was the last 500m before the lift as we ended each day. We were constantly doing drills, or trying to ski a particular way and any lazy skiing was picked up and pointed out by the trainer wink there wasn't really any of piste but the pistes were pretty churned up and soft most days and we had a few runs through a mogul field which was fun. It was certainly tougher than a normal ski holiday where a bit of lazy skiing usually creeps in as the day goes on. I thought our trainer was great, he was really good at explaining things, good at giving feedback and keeping everyone in the group working on what we needed to improve our own skiing despite the big differences in ability and style.
snow report
lynseyf, congratulations to you too! snowHead
ski holidays
Massive thanks for sharing your experiences little ms spock, and all others.

I always read BASI threads with interest, trying to work out if it's something I want to do. I have no interest in teaching, but I really like the idea of structured levels to mark progression (I used to do martial arts, so compare it to belts).

The comments about the changes in skiing style, improvements etc are really interesting - any ideas how many people do it for this rather than wanting to be an instructor?

And for people moving to L2 - does anyone do that purely for personal interest? And if so, how onerous is it to do the shadowing hours?

(I have 2 friends here btw who have done Level 1, and at least one has now completed her hours - but both want to teach someday. And one was so horribly beaten down and demoralised after because of the (what sounded quite harsh) critique of her skiing that it really put me off)
latest report
lynseyf, Congratulations!
Unsurprisingly (apart from the terrain) that all sounds very familiar. We even had a mini-mogul field (which Elston had a lot of fun with).

Our trainer commented that it was possible to get more skiing done in the snowdome environment as a lot less time is spent on lifts. Being able to go straight back out on the snow after watching and discussing videos has some advantages in terms of immediacy. Considering how much I need to work on my technique I think that the indoor course was the right choice for me at this stage. Whether splitting the course over two weekends was an effective approach I'm not so sure.

fixx, I'm also curious about how many candidates just use BASI1 as a training tool. There must be stats on how many people pass the course and how many actually complete the full qualification. As for the critique, I got the full feedback today and it doesn't pull any punches. despite (or perhaps because of this) my long term goal is now to do the L2. This will need a lot of dedication but I'm quite goal orientated so I need something to aim for. I'm getting a huge amount of support from all sorts of people now and that's a great motivator.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
And one was so horribly beaten down and demoralised after because of the (what sounded quite harsh) critique of her skiing that it really put me off)

Sorry to hear about your friend.
However, my best improvements have come after a 'harsh' critique. Sometimes we learners can be a bit dense/stubborn and need that extra push to get out of our bad habits or comfort zone (especially true if on the intermidiot plateau). The last thing I want is somebody buttering me up when I really want to improve. It's an attitude thing and IMV the telling off means the instructor really cares about my progress.

e.g. I have a bad habit of watching my ski tips and by day 3 the instructor got irritated and had a real go at me. Honestly, my skiing never improved more in 1 day after that coz with my head up, looking down the hill, it sort of slotted my posture into place automatically, my balance improved exponentially along with my confidence eventually. It was the best lesson I've ever had.

I hope you tell your friend this example and she stops feeling down and gets back into progressing with a positive attitude snowHead
snow report
fixx wrote:

And for people moving to L2 - does anyone do that purely for personal interest? And if so, how onerous is it to do the shadowing hours?

For me the 70 hours shadowing was pure enjoyment and reinforced the fact I would enjoy teaching whether in or outdoors (no bs!!)

Greg
snow report
little ms spock, I passed my L1 first time and failed my L2, the L2 is a MASSIVE step up from L1, much bigger than I was expecting or had prepared for, and I cannot understate the huge step up required. In hindsight I should have delayed my L2 one year and got more L2 specific Alpine training..
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
And one was so horribly beaten down and demoralised after because of the (what sounded quite harsh) critique of her skiing that it really put me off)

When did this occur? pre/post course or as part of the shadowing? I've found BASI to be harsh but fair, ie your are not at the grade, this is what you need to do to pass, IMHO It's not been demoralising............
snow conditions
little ms spock wrote:
I'm getting a huge amount of support from all sorts of people now...

And if you want even more from here, then get brother FranzClammer to video you skiing down the HH slope (if you're brave enough having him ski behind you Laughing) We have an ample herd of armchair critics just itching to donate our 2p worth of "support" snowHead

WOW...Level 2...You go girl !! Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/DaT5iheQ7Lw
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
fixx wrote:

When did this occur? pre/post course or as part of the shadowing? I've found BASI to be harsh but fair, ie your are not at the grade, this is what you need to do to pass, IMHO It's not been demoralising............

My daughter found her L1 quite stressful, she felt she was being criticised all the time and we had quite a lot of tears in the middle of the week. But she was only just 16 and not really used to that kind of environment. She managed to pull it all together by the end of the week though.
snow report
Claude B, interesting, and yes I agree it's very stressful!!
snow conditions
So kitenski what was it you found stressful - was it also being critiqued or was it the (self imposed) pressure & desire to pass the assessment? Wondering whether the pressure to pass can inhibit the other desired outcome which is to learn and develop. I guess its always a challenge when learning and assessment are combined in one package.
latest report
fixx wrote:

(I have 2 friends here btw who have done Level 1, and at least one has now completed her hours - but both want to teach someday. And one was so horribly beaten down and demoralised after because of the (what sounded quite harsh) critique of her skiing that it really put me off)

Be honest - how good is your demoralised friend's freeskiing? There's a general level of self delusion in skiing and it's only really when you acknowledge the gap between "I can get around any piste comfortably" and really high class skiing that you've got a chance at improving. And when you see a world class athlete in action you realise the gap between top cert and podium or ski porn star is another huge leap.
snow report
abd, I think it's the fact I've always just skied for the fun of it, prior to doing my L1, so it's a combination of always being assessed, whilst making changes to your skiing and having to plan/run lessons during the week...........

then the L2 ramps up the stress levels even more, especially if you have an area you know you are failing at!!
snow report
Most do BASI as a level 1/2 GAP course experience and never do anything with it subsequently. last stats I saw about 500 active level 1, 2500 level 2, 150 level 3 and 300 odd level 4. No issue doing it as a training experience but many susbsequently find the instructing side very personally rewarding. It can be intense. Bsst to get checked out by a trainer before so that you know you are at the level or be open to the experience and change. Most people who have issues lack self-awareness and are resistant to change.
ski holidays
Congratulations to kieranm, and Elston, snowHead

little ms spock, Congratulations on what you've already achieved.
Personally, although I am committed to ongoing coaching and development in my skiing, I am loathe to subject myself to a situation that involves assessment/grading/testing against external criteria designed to recognize achievement and award qualifications in a professional area. I therefore really admire your dedication and determination, both of which I know will get you to where you want to be in the end Very Happy.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
little ms spock, I passed my L1 first time and failed my L2, the L2 is a MASSIVE step up from L1, much bigger than I was expecting or had prepared for, and I cannot understate the huge step up required. In hindsight I should have delayed my L2 one year and got more L2 specific Alpine training..

This is why L2 is a long-term goal, not a short-term one! I may or may not be capable of reaching the level considering my age and relative lack of experience, but it's got to be worth a go. I went in to L1 with no illusions. I knew that, at best, I'd scrape a pass. If I'd had the option of doing it a couple of months later I'd have taken it. I hope that I'd get similarly honest feedback before attempting to move to the next level.
snow conditions
Quote:

Most people who have issues lack self-awareness and are resistant to change.

I imagine this is absolutely right - and the suggestion of being checked out beforehand is a good one; it must be demoralising to struggle with little chance of reaching the required level, unless you have sensibly adopted the "development" goals beforehand. And if you lack the self-awareness to recognise the justice of the criticism it probably makes you very cross, too!

Congratulations to little ms spock and others - sounds a very worthwhile undertaking. snowHead
snow report
Claude B wrote:
My daughter found her L1 quite stressful, she felt she was being criticised all the time and we had quite a lot of tears in the middle of the week. But she was only just 16 and not really used to that kind of environment. She managed to pull it all together by the end of the week though.

I think that this is something a lot of candidates suffer from if this sort of criticism (however constructive) isn't something they've had before. On this kind of course even candidates who are comfortably at or above the level will still get critical feedback which I think is something the younger candidates didn't quite understand.

kitenski wrote:
[]it's a combination of always being assessed, whilst making changes to your skiing and having to plan/run lessons during the week...........[] especially if you have an area you know you are failing at!!

That sounds horribly familiar. As soon as I realised that one particular area of my skiing was particularly weak I lost all confidence and actually went backwards. I didn't manage to break through that mental barrier and make the necessary changes in time.
ski holidays
I should point out my friend did a course over here in the Alps, and nothing to do with anyone on SnowHeads (to the best of my knowledge!)

kitenski wrote:
fixx wrote:

During and post course. She did pass, so obviously was at the grade at the time.

fatbob wrote:

Be honest - how good is your demoralised friend's freeskiing? There's a general level of self delusion in skiing and it's only really when you acknowledge the gap between "I can get around any piste comfortably" and really high class skiing that you've got a chance at improving. And when you see a world class athlete in action you realise the gap between top cert and podium or ski porn star is another huge leap.

Good - not world class, but not shoddy. She put a lot of effort into preparing as well, was very aware of needing to improve, willing to do it etc. She did prep courses, she organised weekends away and got us instructors and guides etc - and she really paid attention, grilled them constantly, asked for feedback, and really worked on what she was told. All this before the course - and she was really enjoying the prep!

When she came back though she didn't want to ski at all anymore, she suddenly dreaded it - all the pleasure had gone, despite passing.

Some of it may have been a personality clash, I don't know. I suspect some of it was being picked up on an issue she had she's been trying to correct, but failing, and still not fixing it during the course, despite all her work - and probably being 'told off' about it.

The change in her attitude to skiing is what really threw me - when I first got on a mountain I had a god-awful instructor. I hated, feared, loathed and detested skiing after that, and swore I would never do it again. I only picked up skis again a year later because I wanted to go on holiday with some friends, and was determined I would learn the very basics to get around resort, despite 'hating' skiing. I lucked out and got the most fabulous instructor - 5 mins with him was all it took and I loved skiing!

But I still remember the fear, being in tears, getting yelled at with no direction, and just wanting to get off the mountain - I never want skiing ruined like that for me again Confused

But good to see lots of people have had positive experiences Smile

Btw my friend has pretty much got over it, and is planning on being with me in Cham loads this next season - she's got her own apartment already sorted out! And she's a joy to ski with, I can't wait.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Claude B, interesting, and yes I agree it's very stressful!!

abd wrote:
Wondering whether the pressure to pass can inhibit the other desired outcome which is to learn and develop. I guess its always a challenge when learning and assessment are combined in one package.

I think this is what worries me - the stress and would it put me off skiing?

little ms spock wrote:
As soon as I realised that one particular area of my skiing was particularly weak I lost all confidence and actually went backwards.

I would so do this too!!

I want to improve, I want to be a good skier. And I particularly want to be able to keep up with some friends of mine who are awesome (ok I'm never going to be as good as them as they've been skiing since little kids, and frequently, and I've only been skiing for 2 years, and I'm an adult - but they do let me ski the tough stuff with them now in general Smile).

But I want to enjoy it! Which I currently do. So the question for me personally is is it worth looking at BASI because I like benchmarks and structure, or do I keep doing what I'm doing with the instructor I trust, when I can get lessons with him?

BASI sounds stressful, and I love skiing with my instructor - I've always come away from a lesson having really enjoyed it, with loads more confidence, and feeling the improvements in my skiing. And his stated him is to get me into (his definition of!) the top 5% of skiers on the mountain. That sounds cool Smile

But the BASI structure sounds great!

Aaargh - well I'm booked onto the Pre-season weekend with InsideOut in November, so I might have a little chat with Rob and Scott then Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy