Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Piste rage' - more than 1 in 5 skiers have experienced it - report

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, no fear, I think I even scared myself there! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
re beginners ... having only started on a board 5 years ago and being in my thirties i can vividly remember what it feel slike to be a newbie.. much more so than those of you who learnt to ski or board as kids or 15 years ago..
i can remeber going down 20 foot wide paths at 10 mph and having someone zoom past me 10 feet away and thump, im on my ar.e.. i can also remember trying to go from one edge to the other in said 20 foot of space feeling as though i was boarding on a tightrope.. now as i zoom down these paths in total relaxed comfort enjoying the scenery i never forget the 'space' beginners need.. i never forget the fear as you hear that horrible noise as someone behind you slams on the brakes due to my erratic steering.. these are people out on their own trying to get better at something we all love and in my book should be afforded as much space as the rest of us slighty more esperienced skiers n boarders can give them.. ill hop off a chair now and slide between the people who feel the need to read a piste map in the way.. 5 years ago those gaps didnt exist... never forget the beginner Little Angel ..

as for piste rage i have never seen it, but people shouldn't loon around in crowded conditions any more than they should do wheelies on motorbikes outside schools at 3.30 pm.. if your that desperate to get some speed up, go off peak or get on the very first lift.. if you go during school hols you have to expect snaking school age kids..

also if your gonna stop get over to the side.. sure you may technically be in the right when some out of control teenager t bones you , but that isnt going to be much satisfaction when u spend the rest of your hols in hospital .. also its just common curtousy, if you aint using the piste get out the way so other people can, is that really that much of a problem..?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hear on the grapevine that a certain retired English rugbyman and TV pundit may be looking to spend part of the season in Les Arcs. Given that he was a lock forward, and having no idea about his skiing ability, might be an idea to watch out for tackles from behind! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS, slikedges, PG I don't think so and hope not. As far as I can determine, I neither cut her up and definitely didn't hit her. I think she had been moving quite quickly, tooka tumble above me, moving tangentially to the apex (and slowest part) of my turn and so although not travelling with huge speed, her velocity took her past me. Still got me worried though! I'm not accustomed to not noticing what's around me (skiing anyway...wink )

Physicsman, For the record, me too. AFAIK, in 35 year I have never been in a collision that was my fault either. And I firmly aim to keep things that way, for self-preservation if nothing else.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, well put. IMHO, it's rarely the beginners that cause the problems. Yes, they may fall while getting off the lift (or, for that matter, at any other random time or place), and yes, they may occasionally ski over your skis or ski into you at a few mph, but those incidents are rarely of any consequence.

In my opinion, the problem demographic is the 1 or 2 week per year intermediate male recreational skier who (a) thinks he is an expert, and (b) thinks it is his God-given right to never have to slow down for anyone. Sometimes this behavior is testosterone driven, and he wants to show off or prove to himself how good he is. Sometimes it is because he has a limited time at the mountain and like the aggressive driver is worried about slowing down for a few seconds and not getting his money's worth out of the expert skis he just bought. rolling eyes

Immature expert skiers can sometimes fall into testosterone driven behavior, but mature expert skiers are rarely the problem. They don't have to prove anything to anyone, and are at (or have been at) the mountain enough of their lives to know that taking a few seconds to slow down for beginners is just no big deal. The mountain will still be there tomorrow. If they want their thrills today, their ability lets them head to steeper slopes or off-piste without a moment's hesitation to get away from the crowds.

Tom / PM
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree that there is no excuse for hitting someone - they may have taken a strange decision or been unhelpful but ultimately, as the uphill skier, you need to give anyone downhill he room to do that. If you hit them, you gave them too little room given your speed and skill level.

To get of my high horse for a moment, while I've never really hit someone, I have come very close to doing some appalling. It was 11 years ago and it taught me a lesson:

At the time I was a competent advanced skier and I was skiing the fall line in a patch of moderately angled bumps. I was moving pretty quick but only really looking a couple of bumps ahead. The bump section ended in a groomed trail (not a cat-track) that swung across. A couple of bumps from the end I looked up and saw to my horror that at one side of the trail was an ESF instructor facing his class of 6 year olds who were traversing in line towards him across the full width that I could see. The only gap was between the first child and the instructor and it was getting rapidly narrower.

I weighed up my options:
1. turn past the instructor of the trail - no I'm too close, I won't get round him
2. turn behind the children - ditto
3. slam on the brakes - no, i'll hit them sideways
4. take a dive - no, I'll be a human cannonball
5. hit the instructor - it's his livelihood
6. go for the gap

I figured 6 was the only option and that if I couldn't make it I'd have to hit the instructor. I got through the gap by turning my shoulders sideways and brushing his jacket. Crashed and burned afterwards which insured that I had to wait around for his "feedback" on my skiing. As you can imagine he was pretty blunt. That said he didn't push it to far. I think that was because I was VERY contrite and also he probably felt that, with hindsight, he hadn't positioned the class very sensibly. Obviously, his actions didn't alter the fact that I was nearly responsible for a nasty accident.

I've never come close to hitting anyone since.

I have been hit though. I get pretty upset.

I do see one grey area which has become more of an issue with a higher proprtion of turns being carved. If I'm carving on a decent width piste I will finish turns by carving uphill to control speed. I do tend to look uphill when I cross the fall line to check for potential collisions but on a few occasions I've looked up to see plenty of space to the next uphill skier (who therefore has loads of time and room to avoid me) and yet found that they come close to hitting me (in one case did hit me). These people are usually (over)confident male strong-intermediates, generally travelling a little quickly for their skill level. They seem unable to judge my arc/speed. My question - does the downhill skier still have right of way if they are moving uphill?

It's probably a little academic - not much satisfaction in being right and injured. I now find myself reigning in the carves if I see certain types of skier above me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
and when you have bought your drinks, don't stand at the bar move aside Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Now here's something I do get really fecked off with Toofy Grin

David Murdoch Your right, I was probably a little cranky last night so I apologise Embarassed

But my point remains. I have absolutely no issue with the FIS code, I adhere to the code more out of a natural concern for my own safety as well as the safety of others. It really is a matter of common sense as far as I am concerned.. but not all are as enlightened as the majority of Snow heads.

But this really wasn't my issue. My issue was simply and purely the statement made by easiski that there are NO excuses, and ban and blacklist people with out consideration for ALL types of sliders. It gives a negative impression of experienced skiers/snowboarders to those new to the sport. I remember feeling quite intimidated on my first ever trip, and trawled through a lot of forums and snow sites trying to inform myself before going.

That said, I am sure easiski is both a fantastic person, and instructor. Anyone who spends their working time teaching or instructing children and adults, in whatever field and are enthusiastic with it are to be admired. I agree with her comments that people have paid for lessons and need to be able to concentrate without being terrified, it's hard enough being new to snow, or even taking intermediate lessons without people cutting through you or blasting past. I can even admit to a little bit of envy of easiski on my part.. because one day I would like to be in that position.. but that’s another story wink

On the point of rage, yes sometimes people need to be confronted because of their behaviour on the slopes.. but rage is not really the answer. Though I admit in the example given of a child being bowled over and the individual responsible not stopping, I would find it hard to remain calm. This is unacceptable to do to a child or an adult, but bawling somebody out for 5 minutes or physically accosting them really isn't going to get the point across.. this is just a general point for all, as I have seen plenty of piste rage.

No learner drivers are not to be excused from their actions if they have an accident or are irresposible, but using the driving analogy, if a child runs from between two parked cars out on to a road 3 feet in front of a car doing 30 miles an hour, and the driver in no way could have seen the child because of the parked cars.. who is to blame, legally and morally? Was it the childs fault, was it the childs parents fault or the drivers fault? The driver was adhering to the rules and travelling at the legislated safe speed. Ultimately the child, parents and driver will be devastated by the whole incident.. but sometimes things happen that are beyond all of our control.

Again I have nothing but respect for you guys with 10, 20, 30 years plus experience and I do value the information that can be found here on snowheads.. so please don't any of this as confrontational... it's an opinion.. thats all!!

enough said.. I need to stop digging this hole Blush

ps - as regards to pushing the envelope (god did I really say that - too much time in meetings "thing kin outside of the box" grrr Laughing ) It's the only way to learn as far as I'm concerned - but in my case I will always do on quite uncrowned pistes.. as I said, my safety first, which means everyone else’s safety.

And always keep an eye over your shoulder folks
wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster, oops Embarassed

Your carving point is interesting, but I think captured by the uphill skier at fault rule? As in the uphill skier is responsible no matter what the downhill skier is doing?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
jedster, oops Embarassed

Your carving point is interesting, but I think captured by the uphill skier at fault rule? As in the uphill skier is responsible no matter what the downhill skier is doing?

Isn't carving back up the hill a bit like driving the wrong way down a one way street? By doing so you forgo some of your normal rights and protections. But in anycase, how often do you see people carving back up the hill?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, didn't mean you might have cut her up, just that I've seen people fall over just from the sight of a fast skier in their vague vicinity on the piste!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only proper accident I have had was when carving to the right over a bit of a hump. There were about 6 of us skiing together. Suddenly i see a guy coming from the right and I skid a bit to give him plenty of room to pass in front of me and behind the skier in front of me. What I dindt see till the very last second was his young son who was following 5-6 metres behind his Dad, eyes firmly on Dads backside. I tried emergency evasion but there was not enough time and a now horizontal me wacked the kid just delow the top of his boots. Kid was very upset and shaken, but no serious injury (luckily). Father was consumed with rage (in a foreign) langauage. I was fairly sure I had done no wrong but was very upset by the accident. Couldnt blame the father as I am one myself and would have hated it to be my kid.

Very experienced skier who was behind me could see how upset i was and re-assured me that it was a blameless accident that I could not have avoided. This made me feel a little better, but not much. It raises the question: Can blameless collisions occur?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
from that description FTS, no - blame lies with the kid, or more likely eith the dad who was leading the kid - he skiied into you ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, sounds like they were above you and moving faster than you, it was the fathers responsibility to pick a safe route which he failed to do, so definately not your fault, blameless collisions can occur especially in very poor visability, however 9 times out of 10 someone is at fault, I once saw what could have been a nasty collision occur when a person who had stopped by the side of the piste moved straight onto the piste right into the path of an oncoming skier, the person pulling out obviously hadn't looked up the hill but technically the person coming down the hill was at fault for not anticipating what might occur and taking avoiding action, fortunately it was a slow speed collision and they both got away with nothing more serious than a few bruises. I suspect this is one reason why snowboarders are so frequently critisised for lying down on the piste, the skiers are frightened of hitting them at speed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, for sure! I know what you mean. No, I don't think I did that either.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt, D G Orf, Difficult to blame a little kid. Also difficult to describe as there was no uphill or faster skier. There was a sort of a hump in the middle of the piste, each party approached the hump from opposite sides, they were zigging whilst we were zagging. C'est la vie.
snow report
Physicsman, wonderful idea - I shall try it next time it happens. Of course, I'm just a little female in a unique uniform. Having said that the co-operation of the ESF is amazing in these cases. They'll stop their class to help! I suspect that in the States (where you can actually take peoples's lift passes away) the reckless skier may be more amenable though. Here, nearly everyone knows we CAN'T take their liftpasses, so instructors and pisteurs actually have no autority. Perhaps I should carry my jaw X rays with me? BTW I was stationary when the guy hit me and broke my jaw.

fatbob, I don' t think it's anything to do with experience at all, not in the sense of ability, although it's interesting that it's all the most experienced skiers who agree that there's no excuse for hitting someone (I have never done this in 50 years of ski-ing - now who's feeling old)? In fact the real beginner is very unlikely to hit anyone, certainly not at any speed. the point is that we should all ski at a speed at which we can take in everything that's going on around us and anticipate what skiers ahead of us might do. If this is not the case (and I would venture to say that about 75% of winter skiers do not do this), then we're out of control. Speed and control should not be confused. The PSBers will confirm that a large number of skiers were travelling at very high speed on the glacier last month. Did most of them feel in danger? No, becuase these skiers were IN CONTROL in spite of the speed. I do not differentiate between what people are sliding on - I've seen idots on everything from snowbikes to snowshoes.

I have had students injured in classes by being hit from above. In many cases the offender has just continued without stopping (probably don't have insurance), and in several cases my students have been put off for life.

Cutionary Tale: 2 years ago I was rushing down the Jandi blue run to get to my next lesson, I was going as fast as possible on that piste. As I came to a lip I took a wide swing to check there was no-one underneath it. Fine - only one woman standing in the deep off piste to the side - no probs?????? she skied straight out into my path without looking. Fortunately I was in control, I was able to avoid her - nearly didn't avoid the heart attack though! Shocked

PG I agree, if a class is winding down a narrow run and taking up the piste, you can usually wriggle round them, or worst case scenario is it really a big problem to wait a couple of minutes? Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-11-05 13:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
If anyone, snowboarders or skiers stop in the middle of the piste they can firmly expect to be showered in snow as i turn past them. If anyone ever objects to this, I merely point out the error of their ways - hasn't led to a violent confrontation yet!

The only confrontation I have come close to was seeing my friend hit a roller fairly fast, only to narrowly avoid a snowboarder next to motionless on landing. Needless to say once we got the bottom the snowboarders had strong words with him - though it was dubious whose fault it actualyl was.
snow conditions
magicrichard maybe I misunderstand you, but are you saying you deliberately turn close to them to shower them with snow?

I would certainly consider you entirely at fault if you say caught an edge and ploughed straight into them doing this deliberately - or they suddenly started moving again without looking and you hit them? Please tell me you don't because this is analagous to deliberately driving recklessly on the road becaue you think another motorist is doing something wrong?

As uphill skier I belive you are entirely responsible for avoiding skiers in front of you. End of story! (... and yes I do know that people shouldn't be silly and stop in the middle of the piste, should always look uphill before starting etc.)
snow report
agavin, I would consider it my fault if i hit them too. However, i dont ever believe i have done it in such a way that if it goes wrong i would tumble anywhere near them. If i did this badly, it would be reckless, my point is only to make them think about where exactly they are standing.

Im a strong believer of the uphill skier always being to blame, but people who are simply ignorant to the danger they place themselves and myself in, tend to irk me.
ski holidays
If you want to point out to someone the error of their ways, you stop and point it out. You don't behave like a muppet and spray them on purpose with snow. If they didn't know beforehand what they were doing wrong, who's to say that they will know that they were doing wrong after someone sprays them with snow.

It's interesting to note that the most experienced skiers and the instructors are the least tolerant of the bad behaviour. Tells it's own story really.

I pity the fool who ever runs into the back of me. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet. I have seen it happen to my friend though, and luckily for the dude that crashed into him, my mate is a bit more forgiving than me.

As a side point, when you see an obvious learner skier, or a class for that matter on a piste/cat-track and you want to pass do people not click your sticks together to let them know you are there and that you will pass them ?
snow report
smolo, Clicking sticks is standard practise for myself.

If i stopped to point out every time someone did something wrong, I wouldn't get any skinig done. To be honest, if you can't be bothered to exercise common sense, is there any reason I should take time out to try and educate you?
ski holidays
I do try and click my poles but with my current coposite poles they hardly make any noise compared to my old ally ones Confused

Frosty the Snowman, I wasn't blaming the kid, his father was the one at fault for leading the kid in a dangerous manner
snow conditions
David Murdoch, wasn't being sarcastic, merely a weak attempt at being amusing. Little Angel
ski holidays
slikedges, I thought it was funny, so there you go!
latest report
T-Dub, I also have only got really angry once and it was also when my wife was taken out. The previous ski holiday she had dislocated her shoulder and just at the end of our first day's skiing the next year an out-of control boarder went through her. She was skiing in the middle of the piste in a perfectly safe and predictable manner ( I know, I was above her). The boarder didn't stop till he had caught up with his parents who were waiting for him. I chased down to him after cheking that Mrs.L was OK but didn't need to do any shouting, his (French) parents were doing it for me Very Happy
ski holidays
A Kiwi friend was heat butted in the face, by a German (I think) in the lift queue at the bottom of the Trans Arc lift, Les Arcs. It was not an accident. The other person expected to be in front in the crush for the lift.
latest report
snowbunny, that's not very friendly!!
snow report
David Murdoch, Agreed, fortunately, my friend was "big" enough to not retaliate, and so prevent an all out Them v Us scrap wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, said
Quote:

I see many accidents daily, and am usually hit myself about once a fortnight.

Remind me not to go to L2A sounds a dangerous place wink

There is one situation where I find it difficult to find fault with the uphill skier and am not sure of the legal position.

If a skier is skiing at reasonable speed and excercising appropriate control but falls on a steep slope and then procedes to pick up speed in the fall as can happen to anyone does he or she remain at fault or does it become an accident if he hits a skier below?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 10-11-05 19:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
easiski wrote:
...Cutionary Tale: 2 years ago I was rushing down the Jandi blue run to get to my next lesson, I was going as fast as possible on that piste. As I came to a lip I took a wide swing to check there was no-one underneath it. Fine - only one woman standing in the deep off piste to the side - no probs?????? she skied straight out into my path without looking. Fortunately I was in control, I was able to avoid her - nearly didn't avoid the heart attack though! ...

That's pretty much the same approach that I take in such situations. If there is a cat track just beyond a roller or lip in the trail that I am on, and if the terrain is appropriate I also try to take a wide swing and ski high up on the berm/lip, moving parallel to the cat track for a few seconds. This allows me to check out the traffic below before crossing. I try to carry a bit of speed (ie, across my trail, and parallel to the cat track). Positioning myself in this way gives me the option of (a) curving back up my trail if the cat track is just too packed with people to cross safely, (b) quickly scrub off speed (very easy to do on the side of a steep berm like this), or (c) aligning myself with a gap in the cross traffic and crossing at a shallow angle and low relative velocity.

That being said, you still have to expect the unexpected. Easiski's nemesis was someone standing far off the trail and starting out unexpectedly. I have had virtually the same thing happen to me except that my person was 2 m in the woods at the side of the trail - facing INTO the woods, looking like he was relieving himself. As I start to cross behind him, he starts slipping backwards onto the trail, right in my path. Fortunately, I had given him a wide enough berth so that I was able to avoid him.

Like many others have already said, the point is that after you have skied for a while, you realize that there is a reasonable probability that the skier ahead of you might decide to do just about anything permitted by the laws of physics and the perversities of the human mind, so you simply have to plan accordingly. One thing you never do (unless you are willing to court disaster) is outski your sight-line on an open trail. If you can't see what's around the corner, assume there will be a class of 6 year olds stopped there. If you ski long enough, at some point, I guarantee you that class WILL be there.

Tom / PM
snow conditions
The only time I've ever lost it on the piste was last year in Wengen. We were on a wide open blue run, just coming outside the village, and there was only our group, and a family on the whole piste (mum, dad, brother and sister (both late teens).

On the flat bit just b4 the village, where you had to try and carry momentum to save walking or poleing, young tosser-17-year-old-look-at-me-I'm-rad-and-gnarly-boarder-biff, with the whole of the piste to use, scrapes right over the back of my ski's and brings me down. Whilst lying on the snow, I screamed at him "look where you are going you effing *ob head", and it turned out he was English. Needless to say, having a 17 stone scouser screaming obscenities at him, he looked terrified, and I would think he will not be doing that again to anyone in a hurry.

I was bloody livid.
latest report
Physicsman,
Quote:

I guarantee you that class WILL be there
Oh yes, arround 9 times out of 10 in my experience Laughing
snow report
T Bar, It's not really a question of LDA being a particularly dangerous place. I suppose to a degree it's hours/days weeks and percentages. There's also the factor that when in charge of a group we are responsible for their lives. Most people, if they hit someone, see it coming and try to stop. Snowboarders often fall over deliberately. Most accidents are thereby avoided, and if someone is properly contrite and the person who has been hit is not hurt, then obviously the anger is momentary. What I see happening more and more every year, is that the person who caused the accident will turn around and some something along the lines of "they turned in front of me" doh! The whole point of ski-ing is turning. Inexperienced skiers are far more likely to do something odd at the drop of a hat, but you can see them as you approach, so it shouldn't factor.

If I had hit the woman who skied into my path it would still have been my fault - I was uphill. (I might have argued to toss as you're supposed to look up the hill before ski-ing off, but still). A long time ago I got done for "driving without due care" when someone slid backwards into me at an uphill junction - I was behind so it was automatically my fault.

The problem with kids is: they always ski in the holidays! Shocked Therefore the liklihood of accidents is much greater. One of my put off ladies was hit by a guy who, while ski-ing clearly too fast for his ability, fell and slid into her like a bullet. She didn't break anything, but was black and blue all down one side, and couldn't walk the next day. The pisteurs were in no doubt whose fault it was (I had to call them). He was very apologetic and stayed with us etc. Didn't help my client though.

If someone's an inexperienced skier then they should take advice from their instructor about where to ski and what to practise in between lessons. You don't improve by trying harder and harder slopes without the technique necessary to cope with them, or the increased effect of gravity. Shock

Physicsman, I hope you didn't get sprayed! rolling eyes
snow report
easiski wrote:
Physicsman, I hope you didn't get sprayed!

Smile

Fortunately, he only looked like he was relieving himself. I must confess that in my wildest imagination, I never considered the possibility of being sprayed to be one of the dangers of being a ski instructor. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cheers,

Tom / PM
ski holidays
I've never hit anyone, but I have come close. I've been hit once, but didn't get mad. I was just coasting towards a ski lift at the end of a run, and an out-of-control begginer skier barreled into me from behind. It turned out that it was this guy's second day skiing, and he wasn't out of control because he was being stupid - just because he had no control! I wasn't hurt behind minor bruising, and he was very apologetic, so I didn't get pissed. Saying that the person who hits the other person is always at fault is mostly true, but not always in my mind. If someone has no means of controlling themselves (total begginer, someone who falls on a steep slope, etc.), then it's not really their fault, unless they're out of control due to stupid decisions.
latest report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-11-05 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FIS guidelines should not be a "I'm blameless, it's your fault" cover for those who display gross stupidity/suicidal tendencies imo.
ski holidays
easiski

I think I may not have been clear enough in articulating my point. I guess what I was trying to say is the people who might be doing something which is a contributory factor in a "rage" incident might be less experienced and therefore not know that e.g. stopping where you cannot be seen from above is not particularly smart.

I definitely wasn't condoning cutting through classes and wouldn't knowingly do so myself (sometimes the class is so strung out I wouldn't know where it ended - I have almost certainly done this on higher grade slopes where a coach is doing some observed runs) but just identifying that on narrow high traffic runs I have seen instructors taking the full width for a class. In that circumstance it is easy to see how the sort of incident jedster describes arises as it only takes one person who isn't prepared to wait.

I saw a boarder in a park once totally devastated - he had hit a kid, thankfully nothing serious. Now I'm sure everyone will say no excuses but the facts were: The kicker was positioned such that you could not see the landing from above (? negligence by the ski resort?), the park was roped off with clear signs saying enter at your own risk, that it was experts only & highlighting the park code (clear landing areas etc), the guy had waited a good while to allow any previous person to clear the jump.

He was certainly at fault for not first riding down to spot the landing area but was the father who had let his 6 year old ski under a rope then sit down under a kicker for a period of time while watching blameless?
snow conditions
fatbob, In the case of the snowboarder I would say the kid/parent of same was definitely at fault. You can never see the landing on a kicker, and if the guy had ridden down to make sure it was safe, but the time he got back up the lift/what ever there's a good chance someone else would have been there. Here, when the big air is in use there's always someone on duty to make sure it's safe for the next person to start.

On your point about a less experienced person unwittingly contributing to a rage incident or accident, I do understand where you're coming from, but the FIS rules are international, are published often and in many places. Lots of resorts have them on the backs of lift passes or piste maps. We have huge posters of them wherever there are queues (in French and English) and posters stuck on lots of the chairlift pylons. I imagine most resorts take equal care. therefore, I feel that ignorance is no defence, but also most of them are just plain common sense. Would even a beginner driver stop in the middle of a cross roads for no reason? would a beginner driver stop their car just round a bend in a country road? would they drive fast and expect everyone to get out of their way? I don't think so. Why should ski-ing be any different. if you don't look before you cross the road you should expect to be run over - same on the piste I would have thought? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Definitely got posting gremlins here - can't delete my accidental double post.

The kicker in this instance was particualarly bad - on a roller sweeping round a corner in a park surrounded by trees. No posibility of swinging wide to get a better view from above.

I agree re FIS but a lot of holidaymakers still turn off their brains and don't perceive ski runs as intrinsically risky environments - cutting a bit of slack mus be essential if you're not to ski round all day permanently irate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy