Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gripping my poles!!! now with pictures!!

Poster: A snowHead
Weird. I've never had anything like that happen to ski poles before. From the picture they both look like the same type/brand. Maybe try something different next time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Is every run a white knuckle ride?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wears that glove thread Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

that's just what happens when I hold on them whilst skiing.

you must be hanging on for grim death! Gripping with your finger nails. Do you also grip the bottom of your boots with your toes? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how do you injure your hands by using straps Puzzled If you put them on properly they will be handing round your wrists as soon as you let go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, just out of interest, do you milk the goats by hand?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thornyhill wrote:
how do you injure your hands by using straps Puzzled If you put them on properly they will be hanging round your wrists as soon as you let go.

If the basket catches in netting, bushes, trees, rocks etc. at any kind of speed the handgrip will be ripped out of your hand but the strap usually catches on your wrist yanking your arm back. This will probably make you fall over which may or may not be a problem depending where you're skiing but more seriously it may also break your wrist.

That's why standard off-piste skiing advice is to ski with your straps off as the risk of catching your basket on something hidden beneath the surface is much greater than on a firm piste. The trade off is the enhanced risk of dropping a pole somewhere inconvenient to retrieve it.

My Dynastar Legende Freeride poles (c.2004) have a clip in the middle of the webbing that pulls apart under sufficient force so you can keep the straps on off-piste without fear of wrist damage. A great idea which has definitely saved me a couple of times! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
how do you injure your hands by using straps Puzzled If you put them on properly they will be hanging round your wrists as soon as you let go.

If the basket catches in netting, bushes, trees, rocks etc. at any kind of speed the handgrip will be ripped out of your hand but the strap usually catches on your wrist yanking your arm back.

If you have arms that are less robust than a 3mm piece of plastic then you are probably right
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thornyhill wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

If the basket catches in netting, bushes, trees, rocks etc. at any kind of speed the handgrip will be ripped out of your hand but the strap usually catches on your wrist yanking your arm back.

If you have arms that are less robust than a 3mm piece of plastic then you are probably right

I take it you've never had it happen to you. Good luck with your theory when it does wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, It looks as if there has been something hard abrading the grips in a very specific place. You don't have any hard bits on your gloves do you? Or somehow trap the pole buckle in your grip? It's a little hard to see, but it doesn't look like general wear more specific wearing. Is the damage in line with any rings you are wearing? A 5 carat diamond solitaire has pretty rough edges Very Happy

Actually, the abrasion seems to be where the tip of your index finger meets your thumb when you grip the pole, so unlikely to be a ring.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think Thornyhill is right; the plastic would rip off before his arm did.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, those are the grips I have as well, mine are unfortunately even worse than that (obviously still useable though) guess its just a rubbish material..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also, I ski off piste with my straps on, my poles often get caught on a tree or bit of ice, which tends to just pull the pole out of my hand (not had any injuries from it yet), i just figure it will be a pain in the a§§ to go back and get it in deep powder!

i guess it is a little risk i take, in order to save a more common ball ache (i like to live on the edge like that)!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, have you spoken to the manufacturer/retail outlet??? Seems a very strange and unique to you problem!! Next time your at Hemel take a peak at the poles there, that probably get used daily without such issues!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, I ski on piste with straps on, off piste with them off so they can be thrown away quickly in a slide....
ski holidays
Megamum, You haven't been using them to stir your boeuf bourguignon have you? Very Happy
snow report
What sort of gloves are you using are they causing the problem? Have they got some sort of abrasive on them?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Having (unsuccessfully) tried to get the grips off a pair of poles to shorten them I wouldn't take that risk.
ski holidays
Claude B, it takes a lot of force to rip an arm off. Very little to injure a shoulder. wink One of my ski companions dislocated his thumb, quite painfully, because of a pole strap. It didn't rip off, though.
ski holidays
pam w, True, I was thinking more of a painful injury rather than an amputation Shocked
latest report
When you stop for a vin chaud/beer/lunch or at the end of the day, do you hang your poles on the end of your skis? Could the ski edges be causing the damage?
snow report
to put the grip wear conversation to rest, it's just a very soft rubber they're used which peels off in layers, obviously just the wrong material. I have a few pairs of gloves and it gets worse with all of them. They are still totally usable and really grippy, K2 just need to get it sorted for the future.
snow conditions
+1

Looks like UV damage to me.
latest report
UV damage? You mean too much time hung on skis, outside a bar, and not enough time being gripped in the hand?
snow report
DaddyLouLou wrote:
UV damage? You mean too much time hung on skis, outside a bar, and not enough time being gripped in the hand?

MM has been banged to rights, to much drinking not enough slope time. Toofy Grin
snow report
dulcamara, it is reassuring that I am not alone, though it appears we are in a minority that have those grips.

Hells Bells, I doubt the ski edges would ineract with the handles at that point as other parts of the pole grip sit 'prouder' and would mean that the wear point was held away from the skis.

altis, yes, it does resemble what happens to plastics in UV light, but I think its a wear issue caused by friction. I don't think gloves are the problem as I have tried several different pairs. Yes, I did used to milk the goats with the same hands - maybe I have an extra strong grip as a result.

FWIW though it has been discussed I don't think straps are the issue, unless where I hold them 'according to convention' the webbing material is what causes the wear - which I must admit I hadn't considered, but the wear is around the grip, rather than just down one side which I would expect if the webbing was the problem.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Having (unsuccessfully) tried to get the grips off a pair of poles to shorten them I wouldn't take that risk.

I mean the basket. If you put your straps on upside down your thumb would probably give way before the basket though
snow report
[/quote]Having (unsuccessfully) tried to get the grips off a pair of poles to shorten them I wouldn't take that risk.[/quote]

Had a huge amount of fun only a few weeks back shortening my poles .... 10/15mins with grips submerged in hot water (to soften the glue), then a a tug-of-war style operation with my girlfriend, which ended-up with her flying across the room when the grips finally popped off (I told her to brace herself ... but did she listen?) and I can say that it is, just about, do-able Cool

As for straps on/off .... 2 x dislocated thumbs leads me (and the docs at the hospitals I attended) to the conclusion that straps off is the way to go. Although I still don't really understands the mechanics of how the injuries occurred.

As for the peeling grips - with Poles only costing £20, and the fact I seem to bend/break them a lot, I reckon they definitely fall into the catergory of cheap and easy to replace if needed. Does the peeling actually cause any problems when skiing? If not, use them 'til they die and replace.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dislocated thumbs from straps means your not holding them properly....

hold like this, then the pole falls away if you let go

latest report
We brought our daughter a set of poles as a Christmas present a couple of years ago when she opened them the handles looked very similar to above we took them back to shop who swapped them but did say as we were leaving are you sure you do not have mice. We were sure we did not until a little while later when we found several things chewed in the garage then realised that's where we had hidden poles pre-Christmas.
latest report
kitenski, that is how I hold them Very Happy
ski holidays
abj, I think some are easier than others, I've had a couple of goes with these even failing with a wooden mallet after boiling water.
latest report
Claude B,

Quote:
even failing with a wooden mallet after boiling water

The poles or the mice?
snow report
My friend was holding his poles the recommended way but sort of fell towards his pole so his hand was below the level of the top of the pole - and the strap did some damage. Whether you can "let go" of the pole in time to prevent any damage depends on what else is happening at the time. The only time I strap mine on is if I am offering somebody a tow.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
kitenski, that is how I hold them Very Happy

Same here, though they didn't come off when I got them caught in netting, even doing between 5-10 mph it bloody hurts the shoulders being yanked off your feet unexpectedly. Hurts the pride too!
snow report
Quote:

if that were true, why would you not wear straps off piste... ahah your ruse has been exposed.. i win!

ok time for one more zebrowska then bed...

p.s. you have girlier hands than i had expected!
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

if that were true, why would you not wear straps off piste... ahah your ruse has been exposed.. i win!

ok time for one more zebrowska then bed...

p.s. you have girlier hands than i had expected!

Rotflmao @ girlie hands. I was thinking the very same thing....... but I guess you must have girlie arms or the basket would rip off before you dislocate your shoulder Laughing
ski holidays
My father is still using his Vielhaber poles he bought in avimore circa 1980. Still going strong just on about their 20th pair of baskets.
No handle wear to talk of.
Leather straps long gone though Laughing
snow conditions
Without wishing to get dragged in to the shoulder/thumb dislocation discussion too much, surely the basket is irrelevant. We are not talking about some yeti grabbing the other end and giving it an almighty yank. We are talking about the pole as a lever and applying a twisting force.
ski holidays
LekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLeki
LekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLeki
LekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLekiLeki......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy