Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gripping my poles!!! now with pictures!!

Poster: A snowHead
This should be a really 'Ooo-errr missus' thread - please don't disappoint me, but some sensible comments would also be appreciated Toofy Grin

In the time I have been skiing I have gone through a considerable number of poles whilst trying to get length correct. I've tried expensive poles (>£40) and cheap poles (< a tenner) and I've also gone through a considerable number of gloves made of different materials.

Without fail and on all poles I've owned so far within about a week the material comprising the grip has worn - often with plastics like sunburnt skin peeling.

I just wondered if this was a problem unique to me or if everyone gets it, and what a solution might be please? My lovely shiny poles look super until I let go of them Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-05-13 20:40; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Brace y'self for incoming..... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, maybe you're overanalysing ... the poles I use most days I bought in 1989, and they get about 60 days/year use. Admittedly I've had to replace the baskets a couple of times, and they don't have straps anymore, but they are fine otherwise

My "second pair" are even older, from about 1987, and still slightly flourescent wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch, but have you worn the grips? If so how long was it before it they started to wear?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Perhaps you would like to try holding my pole and see if that works for you. Fnarr, fnarr!

Right, now that we have got that out of the way.......... I'd be interested to hear if other people do have the same problem. It's not something I ave ever heard of before.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My K2 poles did that this year, after like a week of having them, soft rubber on them fell apart.. unimpressed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Previously unheard of problems no 437.

Does it really matter if the grip is going a bit - you've got big clumpy gloves to hold them with?

Secondly - multiple pairs of poles? Surely just a pair that is too long and a junior hacksaw is all you need?

Thirdly Rule 5.

Fourthly - Black Diamond flicklock - all the pole you need.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Fourthly - Black Diamond flicklock - all the pole you need.

Yep. Light as anything, tuff as boots and they pack into a suitcase.
Fifthly - straps are only for breaking your bones or for hanging your poles on your skis when you stop for a hot chocolate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross wrote:
Fifthly - straps are only for breaking your bones or for hanging your poles on your skis when you stop for a hot chocolate.

This - unless losing a pole would be catasprophic

How do you do the pointy up arrow thing?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, I don't agree. Yes, they will break your bones, but they dramatically reduce the effort when poling.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, really? i have never broken a bone due to a pole strap (or anything else for that matter) but they help me with every single pole plant I make
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nope. None of my poles have done that.

My current ones : BlackDiamond flicklock have a grip comprised of a hard rubber and polythene sections, used 5 weeks this season and no real signs of wear.
My last pair were carbon fibre with a rubbery grip (I think they were Kerma but I'm not sure) and again, no obvious wear. They were used for several years.

It sounds like you're using poles with a moulded Polythene grip. FWIW, I wouldn't class £40 as 'expensive' both my old CF poles and my current flicklocks cost a fair bit more than that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
moffatross, really? i have never broken a bone due to a pole strap (or anything else for that matter) but they help me with every single pole plant I make

Oooooh tempting fate there - brave man.

Also agree that pole straps used properly present very little risk other than perhaps increased possibility of winding or ribcaging yourself on your own pole (bin there dun that).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen someone lying on their chest on top of their ski poles in 4-6 inches of fresh and unable to move their arms as their hands were strapped in to their poles. OK, they could still breath but a few inches more and that wouldn't have been so.
I don't like to be strapped in to my poles.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, i once almost sliced one of my nuts off with my left ski, so now i ski without a left ski wink
ski holidays
Well that's a relief: I thought you were going to say you ski without your nuts.
latest report
dulcamara, It's K2 poles that have been the worst offenders - I have three sets in the house - different lengths (don't ask rolling eyes ) and all showing the problem after a single weeks use. I contacted K2 who said that them back to the shop for assessment, but considering they were bought 200+ miles away and I didn't have the receipt it was a difficult thing to do so I didn't bother.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-05-13 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Also agree that pole straps used properly present very little risk other than perhaps increased possibility of winding or ribcaging yourself on your own pole (bin there dun that).

I've ribcaged myself and I don't use my straps. It bl**dy hurt for weeks.

My K2 poles are fine, used for about 7 weeks.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Patch, but have you worn the grips? If so how long was it before it they started to wear?

Well, they're smooth, but they're not peeling
ski holidays
Megamum, we both have K2 poles - 15+ weeks use each, never had the problem you seem to have
snow report
Megamum wrote:
dulcamara, It's K2 poles that have been the worst offenders

My poles which have had about 70 weeks use ..... K2 wink
snow report
Megamum, do you perhaps secrete acid from the palms of your hands when stressed?
snow conditions
admin, that probably depends on whose neck I have them around at the time.
latest report
Megamum,

I've been gripping my poles for years now and they aren't worn out. Although I did cut the hand straps off as I just find them an irritant.

They are the cheapest that Decathlon can provide - I really can't see why you would want to pay more - the French framers will only use them as electric fence poles in the summer when they collect them from under the chairlifts.

You must be holding the pole too firmly? Surely your gloves are getting worn out before the pole handles?

The easiest solution is just to buy a load of cheap seven quid pairs from decathlon and give them the the farmers when the handles wear.
snow report
Megamum, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I have poles that are 10cm too long so that I can hold them below the grips and avoid the problem...
snow conditions
Megamum, mine are Atomic and I have had them so long I simply can't remember when I got them - the baskets have been replaced but I don't recall anything happening to the grips themselves on the poles. I will have to have a look.

I do sometimes have to remember not to grip too hard - we had a complimentary lesson with Greg from BASS a couple of years ago and his way of describing how not to grip too hard was to think that you are carrying budgerigars, not poles, - so 'don't crush the budgerigars'.

Since January this year till the end of the season I have used them without the straps - we stopped for a chocolat chaud going round the Roc d'Enfer circuit and a guy came into the cafe in a state of shock really. It appeared from listening to the conversation amongst him and his friends that he had been using the straps on the poles, taken a tumble and his hands had really taken a bashing.

I decided then to give it a go without the straps thinking that I would probably drop the poles, leave on implanted in the snow etc but nothing like that happened and I felt a whole lot safer without the straps. My OH is still strapping - and I must say it feels like a lot of faffing going on waiting for him sometimes, and he is not slow..
snow report
I've had a pair of Scott SL poles for ages. The logos and everything have worn off so they're just plain white, I've lost and replaced the baskets a few times so they don't match; but despite a fair few falls they're still dead straight and the grips haven't worn at all. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never had that problem with many poles over 26+ years

You must have either radioactive gloves or secrete something from your palms to grips Wink
snow conditions
Just a vague thought. This peeling layer isn't just a protective coating you are meant to remove after purchase is it?
latest report
Ours are K2, no signs of wear of any sort on either. Only pap bit of them was the screw that holds the strap in place came out of one, replaced with an old wood screw. Must have done 6 weeks of skiing with no marks, we have several other pairs that have done a lot more than that without any signs of wear.

If you are rubbing the surface off them, just get some £8 decathlon poles. They come with a hard plastic handle that you could club a seal to death with and not mark them.
ski holidays
I'm impressed this has become a conversation, I actually considered going downstairs and taking a photo of my ski pole grips.... but i would have to give up my last cool point if i did...
latest report
Mistress Panda, yes, I lost a screew - repaired with a screw I found kicking about the floor in the hotel IIRC
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
I'm impressed this has become a conversation
Oh I think this is one of the "more likely to be a conversation" ones Laughing
ps, the grips on my cheap n cheerful Scott poles look brand new & I got 'em when I got my trusty RX8s, rather a lot of ski days ago Puzzled
snow conditions
For the last four seasons I have used a pair of tatty old poles which were bought along with a pair of rather nice old wooden skis in a house sale. The skis are now on the wall of my apartment. I suspect the poles will outlive me. I don't use the straps. The grips are made of the sort of (no doubt cheap 'n nasty) plastic which you couldn't wear out in a hundred years.

But if I cared what my poles looked like I'd no doubt have ditched them long ago, as whilst they are nominally red, a fair bit of the paint has worn off.
latest report
I've never had a peeling grip before. Maybe I just hold them ever so gently Laughing
snow conditions
Just when you think you've heard it all! You are The Hulk and I claim my £5!
ski holidays
Evidence:

I used the ones with the grey grips for a week, the black ones have had about 5 weeks use. It doesn't stop them being usable, but I am surprised that they are not built of materials with greater longevity.

The image will go bigger on snow media zone and clearly shows the surface wear.
snow report
are you sure your goats haven't been chewing the ones on the right?
snow report
Arno, LOL Nope, that's just what happens when I hold on them whilst skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy