Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Take your bl00dy backpacks off in the cable car please

Poster: A snowHead
sev112, I no longer have a problem with the M25 but I remember it well and those Michael Douglas in Falling Down moments that it conjures up. Toofy Grin I also remember my days of commuting via the London underground (worst times were mid summer evening rush hours) with what always seemed like the worst of sweaty, ugly, festering humanity and everything but the kitchen sink they'd brought along with them pressed all around me and thinking how I'd love to be in a cable car on the way to a mountain summit instead. Little Angel

BTW, just for the pollsters, I'd not take my backpack off in a cable car or bubble either.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moffatross, Smile

yes as someone who grew up in the middle of london, i thought it was quite funny on the glacier in Kaprun this year when on entering eth cable car the guide said "just like the london undergound " - was luxury compared to teh central line going back east at midnight. Even with rucksacks on wink

Albeit not as much wobbling pale flesh Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not two days since I got knocked on the head by a swung-round backpack, travelling between Clapham Junction and Waterloo.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ban them , ban them ...

where is london underground's foum address ????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you shoudl have whacked them with your ski poles
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snoozie wrote:
under a new name, get a life.

(s)he wouldn't know what to do with one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont understand this really.... Backpacks take up extra space, sure. Why should people take them off though? You have two straps to unclip if you take it off, you then have the effort of keeping it off the floor and still in your control on a long lift ride. Why not just leave it on? If that extra space is really such an issue then you are probably skiing during the peak weeks. In which case, man up and accept that the lift queues are going to be long anyway. The number of snowheads that are going to do this is negligible so a bit of an irrelevant post really.

Im going to keep my backpack on, its comfier and less hassle Very Happy You will just have to put up with the -ve half a foot of space that it takes up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He'll be banning music next. I'm sure this joker posts just to get a rise out of people.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No. My pack is pretty low profile anyway, plus faffing around picking it up putting it on is only gonna make it take longer for everyone to get off the lift. Cablecar up Nordkette today, every single person had packs on. Anyone have any problems with it? Not, the snow's ace, lets all just squeeze in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blimey what a fuss. They'll ask you to do it on any crowded gondola in Chamonix & it doesn't bother me to take it off at all. I just put it on my feet.

edit - how on earth would someone nick one Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK - while I remove my backpack would you mind holding my skis, pole, gloves, sunnies etc. and move out of the way of flailing arms????

Hmmm....thought not.... snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No. I figure I'm below average size anyway, so I'm only taking my share of space. And it stops people getting too close to me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does someone feel a little uncomfortable in crowded spaces?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will S wrote:
He'll be banning music next. I'm sure this joker posts just to get a rise out of people.

I have come to the same conclusion. It's a non event.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of our group always carries a back pack. Normally it contains some energy bars, some Gluehwein, a small first aid kit, Goggles, a penknife and bits people don't want on them (scarf when it's too hot etc), suntan lotion and Lisl the ski sheep.

One little back pack for about 10 skiiers not a lot. You will not deny Lisl her outing!
snow conditions
At 110Kg (me not the backpack Very Happy ) my (small) back pack gets no-where near to doubling my space requirement. Laughing

Also a simple observation. Everyone wearing a back pack walked on to the gondola with them on their back yes? So if the packs take up more space, fewer people will fit in. so unless everyone carried their pack and only put it on once they got on board your point seems questionable?

Finally why do I carry one? Spare gloves, water, first aid kit, spare hat, goggles, camera, chocolate bar, spare base layer etc etc etc . X 4 if the kids are with us rolling eyes

I'd MUCH rather ski without, but don't like have hard objects in my pockets. Sorry if this inconveniences you for a few moments on a lift. NehNeh
snow conditions
Lifties on the AdM tram last April got a round of applause when they ejected some fool who was asked several times but refused to take his backpack off to make room for others. I'll remove my backpack whenever the lift looks like being filled, same as I do when I'm travelling on the underground in London and it gets busy.
snow report
I'm glad to see that many people do not have serious issues to worry about. A bit of Buddhist acceptance of what is would go a long way.
snow conditions
Given the OP in question I'm genuinely surprised that no mention has been made of the extra space that these modern 'fat' skis needlessly take up.

If you have 50 people with something around 85-90mm instead of FIS approved sidecuts, that's basically like trying to squeeze a 180 x 100 x 2 sheet of board into the cabin on every trip. Ridiculous. Should be banned.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, I've never known backpacks to be an issue in practice. I normally ski low season, but even so have been on packed gondolas. Clearly punters should follow the instructions of the lift company staff. BTW - AdM? Wossat?
ski holidays
In a couple of cable cars at peak times (Snowbird and Mont Fort I think) they've asked everyone to take 'em off so we could get more people in.

Seemed fair enough to me.
snow conditions
achilles, Aiguille du Midi. Very busy and cramped lift and almost everyone has backpacks (and occasionally crampons, ice-axes etc attached to them) as it's fully glaciated terrain at the top.
ski holidays
To link two threads together; maybe they should also ask fatties to wait, or step outside Twisted Evil
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, ah, thanks. Been up it - a long time ago.
latest report
Cunners wrote:
Given the OP in question I'm genuinely surprised that no mention has been made of the extra space that these modern 'fat' skis needlessly take up.
I did earlier. Nothing against fat skis personally but these days everything is taking up more room. People are getting very chunky (as any airline will tell you) and cars that used to be "mini" are now as big as what were once family cars. And what can be done about large chested ladies?
snow conditions
Just don't let children or pensioners in there with their cheap reduced rate passes if a full fare paying adult wants to take a back pack on.....
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
And what can be done about large chested ladies?

squeeze them in I'd say Very Happy
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
I can never work out what on earth people find it ncessary to carry about with them everywhere they go. What have you all got in there anyway. Puzzled

I carry a pack, but only because with kids, pockets just aren't man enough for the job. An average roll-call of pack contents would go something like this:
- sweets
- bottle of water
- spare sweater for all 4 of us
- spare kids gloves
- emergency stash of food

but most importantly of all

- Younger daughter's teddy. She likes to bring one of her friends out with us in the afternoon. It started off with a small Scooby Doo but is now a huge fat "Build a Bear". (Called "Ian", and possessed of Build-a-Bear ski jacket and goggles, so he looks the part. Smile)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reckon the OP needs an intensive course on how to deal with those pesky backpack wearers.

Come down to London around about Easter time. The place is swarming with teenage school trips from Europe.

On a packed tube they can be a nightmare when they keep turning around. My favourite technique to stop them annoying me is to give them a big shove in the back.

It certainly works against skinny 14 year olds. Not sure if the technique can be transfered to a 6'4" grizzled German though. Test it for me please Smile
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, given the way people self pack, a pack on back can easily get near to doubling the effective space you need.

Snoozie, and how many days have you skied this year? (yes, I know you live in Geneva, so do I).

sev112, I don't think you're getting my point. Cable cars (and bubbles) are designed to accommodate a certain number of individuals of average weight 80kgs (typically, yes I know, perhaps a little unrealistic these days). The system generally IME (Avoriaz, morzine, AdM, GMs, Flegere, Verbier) counts the number of people going through the gates, stopping at maximum (assuming it's a busy period).

So, taking the Prodains-Avoriaz cable as an example, it's designed to provide tolerable comfort for 80 people - without having to accommodate back packs on their backs. Even is the packs add 50% space required, that means it would feel like the car is 50% overloaded.

Given that they are generally reasonably intimate, that's going to be uncomfortable for everyone, with a simple solution. Which is not having the designers design to take packs into account. In the areas I've seen where there is frequent (and necessary) pack wearing as firebug rightly notes - there are signs saying take them off your back and lifties enforcing it.

Will S, I guess I must be funny as you're calling me a joker? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Axsman, I think you've totally not got the point. Why would you want to put your pack on in a cable car?

The Flying Snowplough, so does any of that mean you can't play nice and have it near your feet inside the cable car? Nope.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
It's not two days since I got knocked on the head by a swung-round backpack, travelling between Clapham Junction and Waterloo.

You should do better at this. Properly applied pressure on the backpack can unbalance the carrier. It is a bit like judo.

Alternatively, use of the corner of a bag or umbrella can, accidentally on purpose, buckle the back of their knee. I am safely ensconced in an inside seat between Clapham Junction on Waterloo. All I occasionally have to do is deliberately stand on bags left on the floor.
snow conditions
Best thing to do with awkward backpackers on the Northern Line is to very discreetly tie or clip they pack to one of the conveniently positioned upright poles which are often used for leaning against. Worth missing your stop for the show on that one. Twisted Evil Not that i could EVER condone being malicious to tourists to our fair capital... Roll on 2012!

Exactly how are we going to get more people on the tube? Butter them as they go through the ticket barriers?
snow report
Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

Exactly how are we going to get more people on the tube? Butter them as they go through the ticket barriers?

http://scawley.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/japan-oshiya-at-the-japanese-railway-station/

edit, video on that one didn't work so -
http://youtube.com/v/b0A9-oUoMug&feature=related
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
The Flying Snowplough, so does any of that mean you can't play nice and have it near your feet inside the cable car? Nope.

A sound question, and worthy of a serious answer.

The situation only applies when one enters a gondola or cable car. At Les Menuires and Les Arcs (my most recent trips), it is necessary to take your skis and poles into the cabin. With the best will in the world, a 6 and 7 year old aren't going to hold their skis and poles for the duration of the average gondola trip, so each parent has two pairs of skis and two sets of poles. Add to this the undoubted requests from the offspring to adjust gloves, adjust head-gear, re-attach goggles, and taking the (not very big to start with) backpack off is not top of my list of priorities. You should try adjusting a child's goggles in a moving gondola, whilst holding two sets of skis and poles. It's harder than you might first think. Smile It is, though, easier than removing the pack before you board, as this virtually guarantees one out of skis, kids or bag will be dropped!

If I wasn't skiing with kids then I would carry everything I needed in my pockets. In the "Before Children" era I didn't like being smacked in the face by a back pack either, and travelled in a minimalist style in terms of luggage.

You could consider that kids (or their parents) pay a disproportionately high fee for their lift pass relative to how much they can use it. Likewise parents skiing with their kids. We backpack carrying family skiers are in fact subsidising your lift pass, relative to what it would cost on a "per run" basis.

That said, backpack carriers without the excuse of kids should be thrown out of the gondola to teach them a lesson. Smile

Also, if I had any degree of coordination I would remove the pack, but I fear that doing so boarding or actually in the cabin would bring about scenes of large-scale human carnage only normally witnessed during the Haj Pilgrimage. Smile
snow report
Can't belive the amont of people saying that they WONT remove there backpacks for anyone! Ha ha!

Tell that a liftie when they come over telling you to remove it, it does happen and you will remove it. If there is room wear it, if not remove it! I'm not there to inforce the rules I'll leave that to the lifties, in the mean time can everyone chill out a bit!
Don't you just love the British attitude!
snow report
The Flying Snowplough, yes your 6 and 7 year olds are perfectly capable of holding their own skis and poles on a gondola...if they need goggles, gloves etc adjusted you tell them to stfu and wait until they get to the top and out of the gondola where you can do it for them if you must..you need to stop mollycoddling... how are they going to learn anything FFS...do you still bottle feed them?

okbye
snow conditions
Quote:

Can't belive the amont of people saying that they WON'T remove there backpacks for anyone!

manicpb, nor can I. So, how to win... If they are close enough to the window bars, maybe try passing the loose straps around one, applying your strongest boy scout knot and watch the fun as they move to get off.
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough, and I thank you for your reasoned and considered response. Perhaps there's a commercial opportunity in there?

- Just to be clear, it doesn't matter if the cable car/gondola isn't packed to the gunwhales. If there's space, who cares? I often carry a pack and if there's space to wander around, it'll stay on my back.

- Hmmm: kids. I can, to a point, see your point. My "unreasonably strong" argument would be, I don't mind what you do as long as you restrict your use of said uplift to off peak periods. Seriously. But then I could easily be accused of being a little unreasonable. I can see where you're coming from and I suspect that you're less likely (with kids) to find yourself in a cable car with such a high proportion of back pack wearers. So you're probably OK. Not that you need my permission or anything. wink

- The example I quoted that sparked this lively and entertaining discussion had our friends having to protect their kids from the pushing and shoving throng, who wouldn't have had to push and shove if the (large proportion) of travellers wearing backpacks were carrying them off-back. In that circumstance, I am totally aligned with the lift staff of the AdM. See firebug's post above.
snow conditions
Could some clever snowhead calc the odds on someone that was in that cable car actually reading this thread?
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
The Flying Snowplough, yes your 6 and 7 year olds are perfectly capable of holding their own skis and poles on a gondola...if they need goggles, gloves etc adjusted you tell them to stfu and wait until they get to the top and out of the gondola where you can do it for them if you must..you need to stop mollycoddling... how are they going to learn anything FFS...do you still bottle feed them?

okbye

I can tell you're an expert on skiing with kids! This may be ironically, or actually. If the latter, then I salute you, Sir (or Madam) for I am clearly inferior to you in my parenting skills. Smile

I've had far more complaints from fellow gondola users from my kids whacking them in the face / crown jewels etc. with skis or poles than I've ever had in respect of inappropriate backpack etiquette on my own behalf. And that's before the kids fall over trying to grab a ski they've dropped and headbutt people in the crown jewels with their crash-helmets or simply trip people up.

Note that extreme control of offsprings' skis is only necessary when it's crowded, a situation I work hard to avoid. In a gondola where it's just us and the odd other passenger then the little blighters get severely whipped for even minor misdemeanours and are allowed to fall over willy nilly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy