Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:

You have to wonder just how committed people are to saying “non” to the vaccine, if at the first suggestion that they won’t be able to visit their favourite cafe they flood the booking website faster than a baguette goes stale when you step outside the bakery.

bit of casual anti French bantz there Rob.

A lot of the people are in the under 35 age group, a lot are very young, in the UK those people are not even being vaxed. The under 35 don't really feel Covid is a problem for them so didn't feel the need to take some experimental vaccine just because the boomers were going to miss out on ski hols.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

You have to wonder just how committed people are to saying “non” to the vaccine, if at the first suggestion that they won’t be able to visit their favourite cafe they flood the booking website faster than a baguette goes stale when you step outside the bakery.

Apologies for the stereotyping. Think of it more as anti French-vaccine-hesitancy. It’s no different from my anti British-vaccine-hesitancy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

A lot of the people are in the under 35 age group, a lot are very young, in the UK those people are not even being vaxed. The under 35 don't really feel Covid is a problem for them so didn't feel the need to take some experimental vaccine just because the boomers were going to miss out on ski hols.

Doesn't mean it is wrong though snowHead For what it is worth, I reckon it is more lazyness rather than worries about "some experimental vaccine".

Young people also need things explained to them sometimes. The ones at my work, and in our family went and did it immediately when it was explained to them how e.g. travel was likely going to work. France seems to do this sort of mentorship badly in my experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Getting on for 70% of people in their 30s have received their first jab, waiting for their second jab. I think the first phase of the vaccine roll-out will see vaccination rates of 70-75% for 18-30s, a bit higher for 30-40s. I’d like to see that at least reach 85%, but I suspect it will be higher than a lot of countries, unless they “do a Macron”.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

You say that the 'under 35 don't really feel Covid is a problem' but my son who is just 31 caught Covid-19 in October last year, he was seriously ill for months. He now has 'Long Covid'. He used to cycle to work, run half marathons, swim, snowboard, climb and take youth groups sailing. He can do none of these things now, and just walking up his stairs he has to stop half way. It has effected his work and maybe his future. All over 18's in the UK are eligible for a Covid-19 vaccine, and clinically vulnerable over 16 have been able to get vaccinated. This decision will not only have been made to stop the spread to others but also to protect the individual. I would urge all age groups to get fully vaccinated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BFG_Skier, well said, and sorry to hear about your son’s troubles.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
I’d like to see that at least reach 85%, but I suspect it will be higher than a lot of countries, unless they “do a Macron”

Quite a few countries are way ahead of France and the UK on this, but it doesn't get reported. It's hard to keep track of all the internal rules in multiple countries, but the first “Green Pass” country was Israel, and Austria, Denmark and Germany at least all have or have had something very similar. The incentive not to have your brain poked every time you want to go to the pub is enough for most people to get in the queue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
@BFG_Skier, well said, and sorry to hear about your son’s troubles.

Yes me too but the sentiment of young people in France is that it doesn't concern them and it is old people imposing yet more restrictions on them.

There is also an issue in France with poor people not getting vaxxed and how to reach that demographic.

The fact that nurses and medics were not keen on getting vaxxed is interesting as Dr.s have largely been vaccinated.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, thanks for that. I’d read about Israel’s Green Pass, but not heard of other initiatives, other than some state legislators in the US making it illegal to require vaccine status confirmation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
Macron will also save the world
Certainly seems to be going all-in to control France's 4th wave of infection.

His "saving the world" line was about a big vaccination programme for Africa and beyond. It reminded me of Gordon Brown's commons speech.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, I'm sure there are others. The difference between those mentioned and the UK, is that the rules are defined by the govt and apply to all venues with status X, there is no option to pick and choose, or to make your own rules up rolling eyes In Austria, it's not especially well policed (this is being used as an excuse to do away with it), but infection levels are so low that a few missed checks or forged certs doesn't really matter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any idea what is meant when they say they will be tightening check at the border? I'm planning on turning up with reams of paperwork, but would be nice to know!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
Any idea what is meant when they say they will be tightening check at the border? I'm planning on turning up with reams of paperwork, but would be nice to know!

From: https://www.thelocal.fr/20210712/macron-to-lay-out-measures-to-control-fourth-wave-of-covid-cases-in-france/

"Travel restrictions – Macron said the borders would be ‘reinforced’ with extra checks at the border and compulsory quarantine for unvaccinated people coming from high risk countries.

He said: “From this week, controls at our borders will be strengthened for those coming from high-risk countries, with strict isolation for unvaccinated travellers.”

He gave no further detail on this and did not clarify whether ‘high risk’ referred to countries on the red list or orange list of France’s traffic light travel system.

Unvaccinated arrivals from red list countries are already subject to a 10-day quarantine, which is reinforced by police checks, but arrivals from orange list countries such as the UK are only asked to do a 7-day quarantine, which is not enforced."
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JamesHJ, Awesome, thanks. I've looked, and I can't seen any change for kids of vaccinated parents, but I might wait a day or two to before I book my tests.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I hada conversation with a 30 something dad at the kid sports day last week. The mum is ill with C-19, but they don't see the need to get vaccinated because it wont really affect them......nuts
ski holidays
Can anyone clarify this for me? From August, can unvaccinated (British) kids accompany their (vaccinated) parents in a restaurant in France?
latest report
iainm wrote:
Can anyone clarify this for me? From August, can unvaccinated (British) kids accompany their (vaccinated) parents in a restaurant in France?

Assuming the British vaccine pass is compatible with the EU one, and assuming that the kids are under 12... I think so? We all might end up making a "katzentisch" for the kids outside though!

Honestly though, I expect a relaxation of the rules as August approaches, much as in Israel, I think that a hard deadline has been used to motivate people to get vaccinated.
ski holidays
I think that accompanied minors share the vaccination status of their parents. I have found a couple of sites which give this view, including a French Gov one.
snow report
https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/en-direct-covid-19-plus-de-600-000-rendez-vous-de-vaccination-pris-apres-l-allocution-de-macron_LN-202107130004.html

At least good for those that are travelling with 12-17 year olds this summer.

“ LIVE - THE HEALTH PASS WILL BE COMPULSORY ON AUGUST 30TH FOR ADOLESCENTS AGED 12 TO 17”
ski holidays
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/uk-travellers-indian-made-astrazeneca-vaccine-barred-holidays/amp/

This issue is back in the news again.
ski holidays
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/france-announces-stricter-restrictions-against-non-vaccinated-travellers-from-uk-spain-portugal/

The official line seems to be they do not accept Covishield, but no mention of us with Vaxevria and a Covishield batch number
latest report
happy to get vaccinated when its Clinical Trial finishes in couple of years.
latest report
Snowbikers wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/uk-travellers-indian-made-astrazeneca-vaccine-barred-holidays/amp/

This issue is back in the news again.

Seems incredibly stupid.

From another article on the BBC - "Covishield is now eligible for travel to Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Ireland and Spain. Iceland and Switzerland too have made the jab eligible for travel to the countries"

India have also made clear that if the EU dont sort their ducks into a row, then they will take action and ban all travellers from those countries that dont recognise it.

Again, I repeat - utter, utter bureaucratic stupidity.
snow report
[quote="GreenDay"]
Snowbikers wrote:

India have also made clear that if the EU dont sort their ducks into a row, then they will take action and ban all travellers from those countries that dont recognise it.

Not a great loss in current (covid) circumstances? Probably better actually to prevent the seeding of more varients in the EU.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@davidof, if that today's announcement? Sounds like full on vaccine passports for domestic use. Any end date given for these requirements?

The health emergency has been extended to Christmas
The pass legislation is initially to the end of September but can of course, be extended.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Daily tally of bookings for vaccination in France:

French enthusiasm for vaccination seems to be increasing. Carrot and/or stick seems to work.

ski holidays
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
@davidof, if that today's announcement? Sounds like full on vaccine passports for domestic use. Any end date given for these requirements?

The health emergency has been extended to Christmas
The pass legislation is initially to the end of September but can of course, be extended.
Thanks for the info.
ski holidays
In terms of travel to France, still have vague hopes of going in August, but realistically don't think it'll happen. One thing which that has also occurred to me is, well, what the attitude of the French is likely to be towards us? Brexit, Kent & Indian variants could be held against us?

I'd say it was unlikely but any thoughts welcome.

By August I'm pretty sure one, or other, or both, of the UK and France will have put each other on Red list however.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
In terms of travel to France, still have vague hopes of going in August, but realistically don't think it'll happen. One thing which that has also occurred to me is, well, what the attitude of the French is likely to be towards us? Brexit, Kent & Indian variants could be held against us?

I'd say it was unlikely but any thoughts welcome.

By August I'm pretty sure one, or other, or both, of the UK and France will have put each other on Red list however.

I'm supposed to be going on 1st August, but I've held off booking the antigen tests, because like you, I think France will have bunged us on the red list by then.

I'm going to give it until after this weekend, then book them and keep my fingers crossed.
ski holidays
@Boris, I have just booked the car hire (cancellable) as looking possible
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
One thing which that has also occurred to me is, well, what the attitude of the French is likely to be towards us? Brexit, Kent & Indian variants could be held against us?

at the moment, okay, I would say.

As an aside a neighbour has just cancelled her camping holiday because of the complications of the health passport - she has 3 kids to manage who will be single vaxxed by august but also an XLW hubbie who is not yet vaxxed.
latest report
Boris wrote:

I am a bit stuck in a French public sector bubble, so had become rather negative about people's attitudes here.

However, now we can get out and visit businesses like restaurants, wine producers etc, people could not be kinder. I found the same last Summer in the alps. I don't think it is solely because they need the income either. On average, the 'difficult' French character type seems to be disappearing, and people are more welcoming of British people.

If the worst comes to the worst, pretend to be Scottish, that also helps!
snow report
I managed a couple of weeks last summer and at Christmas (Bourg/Les Arcs), and there was no ill-feeling at all. People over there seemed genuinely pleased that some Brits were still holidaying with them.
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:

If the worst comes to the worst, pretend to be Scottish, that also helps!

Or Welsh, especially in the rugby playing areas Smile Although don't think there are many Welsh players left playing for French teams now ?
latest report
Gilly76 wrote:
I managed a couple of weeks last summer and at Christmas (Bourg/Les Arcs), and there was no ill-feeling at all. People over there seemed genuinely pleased that some Brits were still holidaying with them.
Similar for us last summer. We were made to feel very welcome. We did ask friends in the village who run pubs, restaurants etc - they were pleased to see us but hoping the Parisians would just keep driving to the South! That said, we have taken the tough decision to stay in the UK this summer. Hoping we get there by Xmas as the apartment has been empty for 12 months already. We've got 2 x non-vaccinated 15 yr olds and looking at the number of under 17s in the above graphs think the UK needs to get cracking on vaccines for teens.
snow report
How often are travel reviews by the French and when is the next? Hoping to get away but looks like general feeling is based on UK case rates we'll go Red for France soon?
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
How often are travel reviews by the French and when is the next? Hoping to get away but looks like general feeling is based on UK case rates we'll go Red for France soon?
Yeah bit like Hong Kong is now on our 'green' list but since the beginning of the month they deem UK to be “extremely high risk”. This means that all passengers who have visited the UK for more than two hours in the past 21 days will be denied entry to Hong Kong.
snow conditions
@Cheesie168, Thanks, I understand. My question is, is anyone aware when the reviews are by the French, are they the same as interval as the Uk every 3 weeks ish if so when would the next one be?

The general view appears we'll likely go on the French Red list at some point (the guess is when), that's just opinion but it does seem likely looking at our case rates. Was about to put some money down on a French trip wondering if its worth it.
snow report
Cheesie168 wrote:
James77 wrote:
Yeah bit like Hong Kong is now on our 'green' list but since the beginning of the month they deem UK to be “extremely high risk”. This means that all passengers who have visited the UK for more than two hours in the past 21 days will be denied entry to Hong Kong.
At a guess, I’d say any country with COVID prevalence low enough to clearly make our Green List is likely to look at the UK’s case rate and Delta dominance and be concerned about unlimited travel by people from the UK.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, My thoughts exactly. And that being the case it's a matter of waiting for our cases to have peaked and then substantially decreased and then, in the case of most European countries, for their numbers to have followed probably a couple(ish) of months later. If there's any reality in those thoughts then it will rule out the summer but might bring things into play for the winter.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy