Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2024/2025 (Dec 4th - April 22)

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="stanton"]
Austria's hyperinflation has been contained, it is now closer to the eurozone average in the past months, however business sentiment in the country remains "extremely pessimistic," the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) said on Thursday.[/quote="stanton"]

Even though I had another excellent ski holiday in the Arlberg this past season staying in Zurs (I did push the boat out!), I found that generally the prices in the resorts and on the mountain were taking the pish. For the first time since skiing in Val d'Isere 2009 I felt frequently "ripped off" especially by restaurants and bars, both in town (Lech and St Anton) and on mountain eateries. Such a pity as I doubt I shall ever return to the Arlberg as there are many other places with great skiing at considerably better value. I've booked a couple of flights, but not in to Austria, the accommodation prices have killed it for me coupled with that feeling of over-priced food and drink.

I doubt the Arlberg will miss me. Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still, Petrol in Austria is 40-50 eurocent/liter lower than Germany/Italy…
And in Austria, inheritance tax is zero.

We too are getting slightly irritated about the Austrian price rises…
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure general Austrian inflation is much different to elsewhere in the Euro zone, but petrol is lower than most other places.

However the costs in St Anton (I guess the Arlberg generally) have gone up a lot. Some of the drinking and eating places are now silly prices (though can be avoided). The price rise for accommodation seems to be deliberate policy to push the place "up market". For me the positives outweigh the cost increases but I can see for others that might not be true
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, I don't think I'm in the "up market" demograph any more, and if St Anton wants to go that way all well and good. Despite the substantial "positives" in the Arlberg, and there are many, I'm now positively untempted to return to the expense of the Arlberg.

Everything changes, though sometimes not for the better. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimastaaah, what kind of prices do you experience that are higher than the big French resorts?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thew2002 wrote:
Just been told from one accomodation option that we can't have it as there is a rule they can only rent out to people working within the resort. Does anyone know how common this is?
I worry the other option may accept us, and then on day one will suddenly say they can't actually rent to us... Austria seems to be very big on rental rules from what I can tell...

who was this may i ask? currently trying to sort some seasonal accommodation as the ski school can't provide any
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@miko1109, The Arlberg Ski School has some accommodation buildings in town.. These are shared rooms (multiple people). Nnormally full with young Dutch & Scandinavian instructors.. During Corona (1st season after) .. One of the main buildings was called "Plague House" Very Happy

There can be 400 instructors peak season

You would need to secure a Job in the School before you could get a bed !!!

Even then most instructors have to find there own places ..to stay .. That means renting an apartment down valley (non tourist sector) with a group of other instructors ..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rooms/Apartments for rent for residents/workers.. are categorise (by law) and are priced/hired at rates like in the Social Housing Sector with no taxes.

Hotels & Apres Ski Bars in town have there own in house rooms or a seperate "Mitarbeiterwohnhaus" Some are very nice and employees return season after season for this reason alone !!

Most seasonal jobs come with room & food . If not in house it is provided in the staff room of a nearby Hotel .

Many Houses, Businesses rent their basements & attic rooms to the non tourist sector .. They are very basic but that is all you need ..

BTW.. The Non Tourist sector is controlled (inspected) by the Town Council to checkup on the correct documented use of the accommodation.. Fines are very high for non compliance the Owner & illegal aliens €€€€€€€€€€€€ Last one i heard about (few seasons back) was €40000.00 Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"BTW.. The Non Tourist sector is controlled (inspected) by the Town Council to checkup on the correct documented use of the accommodation.. Fines are very high for non compliance the Owner & illegal aliens €€€€€€€€€€€€ Last one i heard about (few seasons back) was €40000.00 Shocked"

I am confused by this part. Why would a place have people there and document them as non-tourists? Is there even a financial incentive for them to do this?

Also if I somehow brought a partner back to my accomodation after a night out, would that actually be viewed as housing an illegal alien and hence I could be fined €40k?? Austria is starting to sound intimidatingly rules focussed....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thew2002, I would take some of these comments with a very large dose of salt. However as noted above Austria in general is very strict with registration requirements and whilst the occasional overnight is within the rules anything more than that is not. There are a whole load of stupid rules about kids having to register when visiting their grandparents, how many people these days take too much notice is another matter. However tourist villages like St Anton are very strict about enforcing rules around what are "tourist" beds, accommodation for "workers" and also defining residents. This is partly to ensure as many beds as possible are available to tourists (cynically to maximise profit for locals) and also to minimise "second homes" ie rich folk buying up all the property but only being there a few nights a year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hsdee, I have dual citizenshipc English and German. Going to be working with Inghams.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ritrii, sehr Gut, das ist sehr nutzlich. It just seems to be quite rare to hear of uk passport holders getting visas to work there, it has happened but not often.

@Thew2002 the use of accomodation depends on how it has been registered with the local authorities, and no it does n't matter if people stay for short durations though best to check with landlords, often if you have a friend for a week, they'll want 10 euros a night for the extra electricity.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Over on the German Forum .. a contributor who works at the Lech Tourist Office has posted an old school hand written Hotel enquiry & the invoice .

from March 1965 €5.00 Per Day Accommodation Very Happy Very Happy

14 Nights in Lech am Arlberg Bed & Breakfast for 910.- Austrian Schillings.

I take that anytime Happy.

That is 65.00.- Austrian Schillings per day which was ca. 10.00.- DeutchMarks or in Euro ca. 5.00 Euro. per Day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It would be interesting to see how much that would be today, adjusted for inflation?

See here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5443503#p5443503

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tourist Registration Rules

""In Austria, guests in tourist accommodation (e.g. hotels, guest houses, B&Bs, privately rented rooms) must register within 24 hours of their arrival by entering their details in the register of guests.""

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/eu_und_international/reisen-in-der-eu-/Seite.2397001.html

BTW.. They do not mention Campsites but it also applies there ,just sayin !!!

Registration regulations for very high accommodation standards & local/regional fiscal control (taxes) are necessary But also in the Austrian High Alpine there is a very real legitimate reason to know who is staying/living in Town in the event of a Lockdown (Roads,Railway closed) during mega snow dumps storms producing Avalanche Danger. 5.danger .and of course Virus outbreaks (Corona) !!

This has happened ..No one in & no one out..All guests need to be accounted for ( head count )

The Austrians have it all organised for your safety and comfort.

Dont complain about rules & regulations they are there for a purpose.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, Given the complete chaos & panic on the afternoon of Friday 12.03.20 in St Anton (especially) and Ischgl along with the complete mess the Austrian's made of sending people home, claims that the
Quote:
rules & regulations they are there for a purpose
must be viewed with a large amount of scepticism. Austria has never quite shaken off the Habsburg police state established by Klemens von Metternich 200 hundred years ago!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, I've not skied in France since 2009 (Val d'Isere/tignes), so cannot compare "big French resorts". I've skied extensively in the Arlberg for 25 years so I've seen long term trends and infrastructure changes. Plenty of skiing in Italy and Switzerland that compares favourably if not better than Arlberg resorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, Given the complete chaos & panic on the afternoon of Friday 12.03.20 in St Anton (especially) and Ischgl along with the complete mess the Austrian's made of sending people home, claims that the
Quote:
rules & regulations they are there for a purpose
must be viewed with a large amount of scepticism. Austria has never quite shaken off the Habsburg police state established by Klemens von Metternich 200 hundred years ago!

Oh dear….so much nonsense….really….
can you please enlighten us how Metternich should have prepared for Covid in Ischgl instead?
snow report
@skimastaaah, ah was trying to compare prices in other larger resorts based on what your said that was all!
snow report
Seems to have been some sizable Unwetter today.... anyone with pals there will see the facebook pictures soon.

https://www.krone.at/3495489

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30889444/arlberg-bundesstrasse-von-mure-verlegt-mehrere-keller-in-grinzens-ueberschwemmt
ski holidays
@hsdee, looks grim. Always amazing how localised these events are. Was on my bike just a few klicks away in Kleinwalsertal. Had a bit of rain but nothing more!
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/da4HW2Lmll0?
snow report
looks awful, fingers crossed for people with businesses/properties out there Sad
snow report
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/KkLZehrxCCc?

Schindler Kar

Steißbachtal (Happy Valley)

Zammermoosbahn

Heustadl Hütte

Moos

Mooserkreuz

https://www.facebook.com/infotirol1/videos/1192321461977761

Yesterday More Rain & more landslides Arlbergpaß remains closed (further geological assessments) & Massive Clean Up.. Many Volunteers drafted ..

Thousands of cubic meters of material has to be cleared & removed.

http://youtube.com/v/FICxvd4_7ww?
latest report
Official info as of this morning from the Gemeinde (in English) https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/XooWebKit/bin/download.php/inline/13ecf_d9f0046590/Current%20Information%20on%20Landslides%20and%20Road%20Closures%20-%2019.08.2024.pdf
ski holidays
The Arlberg Pass road is ready to open (they already constructed a new asphalt lane on mountain side), but they keep it closed so as to keep the road through St.Anton free for ongoing clean up works.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Schindler Kar

Steißbachtal (Happy Valley)

Zammermoosbahn

Wow, didn’t realise the extent of the damage to the pistes… Cool extension of the Schindler couloirs though wink

Being Austria they’ll have the village back to normal in a few weeks but on the mountain might be a bit tricker…
snow report
Latest update https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/XooWebKit/bin/download.php/inline/13f2a_45f21afb71/Current%20Information%20on%20Landslides%20and%20Road%20Closures%20-%2020.08.2024.pdf

The Arlberg Pass is open overnight but closed during the day to enable the clean up operation
snow conditions
Being Austria they’ll have the village back to normal in a few weeks but on the mountain might be a bit tricker…

yeah, will the piste be feasible for the winter down from zammermoos past heustadl to the town?
latest report
How stable is the slide/deposited material in the second (and third) photo above? Can it simply be levelled out and graded a bit to give the happy valley a bit of a wider bottom/piste?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mcg, Short answer yes too much depends on it. The status of the Steissbachtal run was open to question anyway and how this will affect the feasibility of that piste is an unknown. Perhaps there has been some structural damage to the Zamermoos lift station but would imagine if the locals can fix the Arlberg Pass road in 48 hours sorting the lift station before December should be no problem!
snow report
*The issues with Steissbachtal in the recent years has nothing to do with the current calamity.
*Apart from that: Steissbach piste is fully covered by a layer of at least 50 cm artificial snow. The current stony deposit is hardly a problem for that, I'd think. Maybe they will have to remove some of the biggest boulders.
ski holidays
1000*s cubic metre of rock debris in Steißbachtal almost impossible to remove...
Maybe they pumel it down but the natural running stream still needs to flow even in winter !!!

No news on state of Zammermoos (chair underground garage)

https://youtube.com/shorts/ML9OWqimDzU?

Also snow making hydrants on Steißbachtal probably buried

Maybe they will quickly reinstate the old
Feldherrnhügebahn T Bar (cheap to do)
snow report
As you can see in the pictures of Steissbach, the water is flowing and doing it's job, creating a new creek. No news there.
The rock debris needs not to be removed. Soon grass/plants will grow and nobody will notice. In the end it's just nature doing its thing. It's called erosion Cool
snow conditions
I wouldnt be so sure about no damage

Whilst rocks can be moved and holes filled in, sorting the snow making kit (both on the Steissbachtal & Kandahar) might not be so easy and there might be damage to the Zamermoosbahn lift station
ski holidays
@munich_irish, I wasn't talking about lifts and snowmaking.
Nobody actually was talking about snowmaking kits, apart from@stanton ("probably"...)
Let's assume they put these quite deep in the ground, and at a distance from creeks, after all, slides and avalanches are not rare events in the mountains...
latest report
Well one italian tourist was very lucky, the main article is behind a paywall but the picture paints a .....

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30889784/gast-von-mure-mitgerissen-wie-drei-maenner-in-st-anton-zu-lebensrettern-wurden
latest report
There also needs to be some serious works done in the Rauztobel down to Stuben..

Read more over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5445186#p5445186

The Federal Army (50 soilders) has been called into St Anton to help and provide relief from the volunteers....

At least 50000 sq cubic metres of debris needs to be removed
snow conditions
Incredible work being done. I'm sure that the Arlberg road would have been closed for months if it had happened here.
Though the more problematic issues could be up the mountain, on Schindlerkar, Kandahar piste and Happy Valley.
ski holidays
The Alpin Forum thread referenced above has a fair amount of speculation about damage to the skiing infrastructure, some of it might just be guesswork though some seems to be reasonably well informed. It does appear that the Zammermoos lift station has sustained damage, it was apparently slowly sliding into the Bach in any case (believe it was due for replacement) but this incident could well have added to that (lifties' gossip that the track inside the chair garage has been damaged) and might (big speculation at this point) be impossible to repair before the season starts.

There is also a huge amount of debris come down from Rauz to Stuben, sure the rubble can be smoothed out but the infrastructure will have sustained damage.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@mcg, Short answer yes too much depends on it. The status of the Steissbachtal run was open to question anyway and how this will affect the feasibility of that piste is an unknown. Perhaps there has been some structural damage to the Zamermoos lift station but would imagine if the locals can fix the Arlberg Pass road in 48 hours sorting the lift station before December should be no problem!

looking at the photo in front of the heu stadl, there has been serious damage done to the culvert and abutting structures that supported that bottleneck of the pistes. there is some serious engineering that needs to be completed to make that area safe from further slips never-mind for snow loading and skiing in the future. and that is just that very limited portion. the zammermoos station is probably ruined as mentioned and other pieces of the engineering infrastructure that make that piste viable must be very suspect at this stage.
ski holidays
Looks like they are optimistic about the lifts - this is from today's pdf:

Quote:
Due to the landslides on August 16, 2024, the buildings of two cable car facilities
(Rendlbahn valley station and Zammermoosbahn valley station) were slightly damaged.
Thanks to the very dedicated efforts of the employees, volunteers, and specialist
companies, these damages have already been partially repaired or will be repaired in the
coming weeks, ensuring safe cable car operation for the upcoming winter season.

The Rendlbahn will resume summer operations after the cleanup work at the bus terminal is
completed, probably from next Wednesday, August 28, 2024.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy