Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2024/2025 (Dec 4th - April 22)

Poster: A snowHead
It is not quite over (23/24 season ) yet but Thanks for tuning in last season ...the best of last season was the Start & the End ...

Lets hope for a Mega Early Season Dump ....

Time to start thinking about the 2024/2025 season Very Happy

2024/25 is potentially a very long one due to the late Easter Holidays ... 150 Days !!!

UPDATE ... Season Opening Wednesday Dec 4th -- Closing just After Easter Monday ...April 22 Only 140 Days wink

Openings Party(s) Weekend will be Dec 6/7/8 th

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-06-24 14:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UN TOURISM NAMES ITS BEST TOURISM VILLAGES 2023

As in previous editions, the villages are evaluated under nine key areas:

Cultural and Natural Resources
Promotion and Conservation of Cultural Resources
Economic Sustainability
Social Sustainability
Environmental Sustainability
Tourism Development and Value Chain Integration
Governance and Prioritization of Tourism
Infrastructure and Connectivity
Health, Safety, and Security

https://tourism-villages.unwto.org/en/villages/st-anton-am-arlberg/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hotel Arlberg Hospiz

The Renovation Financia Turmoil continues... so i do not think it will be open again this coming season ....we will see....

The owners Soravia.

https://www.soravia.at/en/project/hospiz-st-christoph-am-arlberg/

According to Soravia, the banks are now demanding a division of land to finance the conversion of the Arlberg Hospiz Hotel.
There is a lot of skepticism in the municipal council.

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30882507/finanzierungs-huerde-bremst-umbau-des-arlberg-hospiz-banken-fordern-grundstuecksteilung

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oberlech

12 employees from the Oberlech Lift Company have been reported to the Public Prosecutors Office & Tax Office .

Over a 10 year period they have (allegedly ) defrauded the company of €370000 by privately renting the Lift Company's toboggans..

https://www.vol.at/lech-liftmitarbeiter-zweigten-370-000-euro-ab/8727907

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

St Anton

Murrmels Bar expansion is well underway ..

and around the corner

Landhaus Murr... old barn which became a Butchers (has not been for years) is now demolished ...extension & new restaurant coming
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lol.

Bet it's been going on longer than 10 years.

Guessing they're all related by local families in some way.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is really bad weather in the Mountains right now..

May is just a month that you need to get outta town....

The weather will not be stable for a longer period of time until the weekend at least , rain showers and thunderstorms are to be expected practically everyday..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oberlech

Toboggan affair

The accused employees are fighing back

After public accusations of embezzlement (€370,000) , employees of the Lech-Oberlech mountain railways are defending themselves.

They claim to have acted with the knowledge of the Lift company. Shocked Shocked Shocked

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am only allowed one post a Day so I will stick this here in case you folks have not been paying attention Very Happy Very Happy

Snow has arrived early in South America (it also did last season bubt then melted but then was saved by another big dump)

https://catedralaltapatagonia.com/camaras-en-vivo/

https://laslenas.com/camara-en-vivo/

https://skiportillo.com/en/our-mountain/portillo-snow-forecast-conditions/#webcams2

https://www.vallenevado.com/es/camaras/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Folks

Please note .. New Season 24/25 Opening & closing Times ..

Season Opening Wednesday Dec 4th -- Closing just After Easter Monday ...April 22 140 Days

Immediate closing on Tuesday after Easter..

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was in Arlberg region yesterday...

Construction Cranes up all over the place ..

Oberlech , Downtown Lech & St Anton, Stuben , Galzigbahn Mountain Station....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hotel Hospiz

Constructon still not underway..

The actual Hotel Company has very high debts ....

Soravia Group has the Finance sorted but still zoning procedure need to be agreed ..

Projected to Open in 2026

https://www.derstandard.at/story/3000000225064/noch-nicht-einmal-gebaut-aber-hochverschuldet-luxushotel-von-soravia-am-arlberg-sucht-investor
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Confirmed: construction new Schlosskopfbahn (Lech) in summer 2025. Not yet clear whether it is gonna be a chair or a gondola, or a gondola/chair combi.
It will have a slightly different track, and a mid-station near Hotel Formarin ('Spitzenegg') It's also suggested that the new base-station will be on the piste side of the road, so no ski-tunnel, and crossing the river anymore. But this is not sure yet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
Hey Folks

Please note .. New Season 24/25 Opening & closing Times ..

Season Opening Wednesday Dec 4th -- Closing just After Easter Monday ...April 22 140 Days

Immediate closing on Tuesday after Easter..

Not saying your wrong, hard to find info, ski arlberg not yet released any, but looking at events on stantonamarlberg tourist office website they have opening 6-8th dec, weisse rausch 19th which usually means closing 20th = 136 days which is a week less than the last few winter seasons prior to which it was even longer. No doubt the price will go up.

I can understand why a business might not want to run an entire lift system start and end of season when there are few tourists, but they could open a few slopes.... arrrghh village politics again at play methinks.

edit updatem- 4th dec to 22 apr - 140 days, how strange.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 25-06-24 13:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was told 4th by a hotel in Lech a couple of weeks ago when I booked for mid December.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
afterski wrote:
I was told 4th by a hotel in Lech a couple of weeks ago when I booked for mid December.

yes 4thdec-22apr is the info i just got from tourist info.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why Check?

My info was correct .

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Why Check?

My info was correct .

Very Happy Very Happy

Why not? Never known a season open or end days to be midweek, just odd.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Downtown "Gries"

One big construction site .

"Landhaus Murr" massive extension transforming into a Hotel and new Restaurant
"Murrmel" getting a renovation and expanding the Keller NightClub.
"Aquila" being modified/renovated
"Thönihaus" being renovated

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Up on the Hill

Heustadl Hütte was sold (last season) KK owner is new proprietor.

Surprise Surprise this season ----- Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am considering a season in St Anton this winter. I did one in meribel and before I went I found a discount on the season ski pass.
Does anything like that exist for Arlberg?

Also are there seasonnairre discounts on beers etc?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Thew2002,
Anton is a great place to do a season, not least because St Anthony takes care of all the lost season worker souls and helps find all the lost iphones.
Discounts - some places have a worker price on beers and wine, but not all. There is even a partial rebate on the lift pass, at the end, should you work in an austrian/localish related job for the season. If you know the guys well in the ski shops they will give you something too. Otherwise Anton is fairly expensive for eating and drinking, but not as bad as some of the high end french resorts.
Pluses - huge ski area - piste and lots of tours, apres is fun, nightlife ok (used to be better) locals and other workers friendly, easy access to innsbruck for a day away.
Minuses - easy accessible off piste tracked out in minutes, busy at high season, local dialect can even confuse german speakers, village at 1300 means it's had quite a few rainy days the last few seasons, seasonal visas for brits to work there almost non existent, village accom pricey but less the further away one goes.

Message if you have questions,
snow report
Thank you! I am a bit of a weird case as I won't be working within St Anton, will this remove me from all potential deals due to being a ski bum? It didn't impact things in Meribel but maybe I just got lucky...
How much at a complete guess would be a basic 1 bed flat close to the slopes be for the season? I am wondering if what I have been sent is a scam, so just want a comparison as a benchmark...
snow conditions
@Thew2002, Check your messages above on this platform and i expect i'll be able to answer some of your questions rather than choking up this whole topic.... but it is hard to answer your question exactly as it would depend on size, quality and location.
snow conditions
@Thew2002, You might need to be careful about the nightly tourist tax (€3/night but might have misremembered) I know there has been a lot of whinging about this from folk who stay for considerable periods. Adding €20 or so to a visit is no big issue (especially given how much it costs anyway) but a few hundred for longer stays is a rather different matter. Also be careful about Austrian registration requirements, cant remember the details but the period after which you have to join the Austrian tax system is fairly short might even be less than the 90 day thing.
snow report
Seems to be €5 a day now so that ends up being quite chunky. If I went home for Xmas etc would I still have to pay it even though I'm not in the country? I assume yes as I'm still renting... What do you actually get for that tax?
snow conditions
Thew2002 wrote:
Seems to be €5 a day now so that ends up being quite chunky. If I went home for Xmas etc would I still have to pay it even though I'm not in the country? I assume yes as I'm still renting... What do you actually get for that tax?

i suppose is a tax which will help the local authorities to invest to some infrastructures etc.
You do not get anything as a tourist.
ski holidays
It's a tourist tax, you don't pay it if you are renting for the season and fill out a local registration to live there.
ski holidays
@hsdee, If you register than you would be subject to Austrian tax and health insurance? Here you have to register after a maximum of 30 days and then are in the German tax system. I understood the Austrians have shorter limits but might be wrong
snow report
@Thew2002,
You only pay the 5€ per night that you stay. So if you leave your landlord/lady will register/de register you accordingly. I would say nearly all long term lets will be for the whole season. So you would probably have to pay for the whole season, 140 days this time I think. If you found a one bed appartement or studio for under 8k for the winter, in St.anton, its a cheap deal.
There are a couple of seasonaire type Facebook pages that people use to find accommodation. The tourist information also have a list for season rentals. Good luck!
snow conditions
@Thew2002,

ok

You have two legal routes here for rental and in your case a few months would be , a Short term Lease ...not a Long term Lesse which is for a year or more..

Austria is very regulated in Terms of what is considered vacation or living/working.

I dont know where your from??

In general

Vacation rentals

These are treated as any other tourist accommodation.. The owners have to have permission from the city and pay taxes

Even in an appartment block all the other owners have to grant permission to the the renter...but this is likely already done if the place is advertised. ,(city inspectors monitor housing adverts and visit properties especially in the Winter and Summer seasons) )

You registrate in and out (each time)with owners..but if you rent whole season they may not bother ...but risky for them

Your pay tourist tax regardless for everyday .. so in St Anton and valley it is €5 per night.. Most places now between €3-5

Vacation rentals are very expensive. So if you went on ski vacation for 1 or 2 weeks in an appartment .style self catering...

You will pay exactly the same rate for 4-5 months in Ski Areas...even in Innsbruck

i.e Its rare you get discounts

They only do that (and then only maybe 5-10%,)for Tour Operators who pay up front for the whole season with a very hefty damage deposit ..

Renting

This is the non tourist market . i.e for
residents....

This is way cheaper but still in places like Innsbruck its a nightmare ..€1500-2000 not unusual for basic unfurnished.

So if your an EU resident you can find somewhere to rent (austrian newspapers are best) them register yourself at the local town hall (gemeinde) ..you will be liable for city taxes . and you will need to register when you leave.. For services your need an Austrian Bank account .. Austria is strange as they rarely except other Euro Bank accounts

If your not EU citizen you have to consider the 90/180 rule so considering next season is circa 140 days and if you take other vacations in the EU ??

There is also black market route...

Good luck
ski holidays
I'm from the UK so not a member of the EU. I was planning on applying for visa D to hopefully allow me to stay for 6 months in Austria. I will ring the embassy on Monday to clarify as their email is as clear as mud.

I think realistically I will have to pay the tourist tax, there doesn't seem to be much way around that. Thank you for the advice though!
snow conditions
@Thew2002, Good luck with the application, previous info on here was that the Austrian's are very picky on who they give visas to (now practically impossible for brits to work as ski instructors in Austria unless article 50 residents). If you can show that you are not planning to work and have proper medical insurance & sufficient funds you might be OK. I would assume that if you get the visa you can avoid the tourist tax as you will be able to register at the town hall (as opposed to filling in the form when you check in).

Let us know one way or other as always useful info for others.
snow conditions
Type D visa

These can be issued by all Schengen Zone member countrys..

They are only for employment ONLY in the country of issue ..

You have to find a job and and the employer (representative ) will apply ..

If you obtain the Visa it also lets you travel around the other Schengen countries for the 180days but NOT work.

However..

D Visa are for 6 months only but can be extended to 1 year but if you find (like in a Hotel) in Austria Tourism sector they quite often ask if your willing to do the summer season so they will apply for longterm 1 year..

Reality Check

Do you speak German ?

English Only speaking jobs are limited..

There are litterally 1000's of applications for Winter season jobs

Eastern Europeans.
Dutch Germans Scandinavians

They are fluent in their native languages ..English and German

Many return season after season 10yrs not unusual

Australians have special bilateral visa arrangements

Maybe your new Government can negotiate better FoM with the EU but I dont think EU has that as a priority with a War on our doorsteps .

Not putting you off ..

Best thing find a job asap

or

Just visit for 90 days In Jan to March 31
ski holidays
Austrian embassy have responded, so it seems this dream has died already:

"Good morning,

Tourist option for ski is not a special reason for a Visa D application.

You must schedule your ski trips to Austria during your 90 days visa free period"

Kind regards,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's so annoying. France was completely fine with me just living there 6 months last year... Guess I'll have to go to France again frustratingly.
snow report
@Thew2002,
I'm pretty sure that my friends, UK, applied for an extension to the regular 90 day allowance (to 180) to allow them to stay the whole winter season in Anton (not working). Not sure what it's called but think not too hard to search.
snow conditions
It's so annoying. France was completely fine with me just living there 6 months last year... Guess I'll have to go to France again frustratingly.
ski holidays
@Thew2002, That has been the feedback from others that the Austrians dont want long stay tourists, seems crazy but up to them. There is a member here who has a job & lives in Austria but despite that is not allowed to work as a ski instructor as he only has a UK passport!
snow report
@Thew2002, do you have much in the way of specialist skills? You could apply for a job seeker visa and just never seek a job while you're here?

https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/permanent-immigration/very-highly-qualified-workers/
snow conditions
Thew2002 wrote:

What visa did France give you?
ski holidays
@kitenski, probably this one:

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/long-stay-visa
snow report
@Thew2002,

i think you were lucky with France. not checking your passport.

The 90/180 day rule applies to the whole of the EU Schengen Zone..

The new digital border controls ETIAS maybe operational before this Ski Season
so your permitted days 90/180 will be recorded..

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2024/07/18/new-eu-border-controls-delayed-until-end-of-2023-how-will-the-ees-affect-travellers

also FYI

There are temporary border controls in force right now in some Schengen countries including Austria and Germany.

I think the advice the Austrian Embassy gave you was very clear and that is the same in all Schengen Winter Sports Countries.

_________

St Anton's World & Olympic Slalom Legend..Champion Horse Rider Stud Farm and Apres Bar(s) owner Very Happy

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/was-wurde-aus-olympiasieger-und-doppelweltmeister-mario-matt_a6760206?
ski holidays
@stanton, As so often you write crap. A number of Schengen countries (France for example) are happy to issue long term tourist visas (though holders are limited to 90/180 outside the country of issue but in practice not checked). You have to prove you can support yourself and have adequate health insurance but that's about it. Makes sense as long term tourists bring in much more useful income than short term visitors, but Austria doesn't seem interested. The checks coming into Germany from Austria have been in place since 2016 (though officially "temporary") but in reality dont amount to much as they are for show rather than anything else (some high profile checkpoints at Kufstein, Salzburg & Passau which stop the odd vehicle especially minibuses). The additional checks in place for the football have gone.
snow conditions
Just out of interest if I get a long stay France visa again, what would stop me staying in Austria during that period? Like how would they even know where I am?

Still frustrated Austria won't accept me simply as a tourist though.

Interesting idea regarding the search for work visa. Annoyingly I only did a 3 year degree which doesn't seem valued based on that... (Despite it being in maths)

Why did you think France didn't check my passport? They definitely did
latest report
@Thew2002, The issue is that if you have a French / German / Dutch etc visa or even residence permit that only applies to the country that issues it. Anywhere else in Schengen is limited to 90 days in 180. Whilst the chances that anyone would check where you travel to or from are infinitesimally small, you have to register once you get to Austria (true in most countries though seems to have fallen into disuse here in Germany) either as a tourist or as a resident, which starts the clock ticking on 90 days. Of course if you are simply sleeping on a friend's sofa no one knows but that really is not recommended especially in Austria.
snow report
When you say you have to 'register once you get to Austria' what do you mean by this?

I don't recall formally registering in any other countries I've been to in my life so am not familiar with the process
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy