Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@noza, I live in Cumbria so know all about that, although luckily my town is not flooded and I'm on a bit of a hill.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For what it's worth remember this “We never live; we are always in the expectation of living.” [Voltaire]

Looking at forecasts can be interesting even fun, but actually being out in the moutains is funner.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How many days before snowmageddon last year (after Boxing Day)was it a 'done deal' that there would be snowmageddon
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nozawaonsen, is it me or has tomorrows snow been upgraded a bit? 12z looking bit more interesting anyway....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@notnats, a few of the guys (@stefoy4me and @Rob Mackley) had spotted something on 17 December. So nine days out.

I posted this on 18 December.

Quote:
Recent runs on both GFS and ECM have been suggesting a cool down following Christmas Day. At present it looks like it would be considerable and sustained. But. Given that it's all in FI I would be pretty cautious about how long it might last, FI can tend to exagerate certain features. But it does look like colder weather may be on the way. Will it bring snow? It would do on the basis of current output, but you'd want to see that coming into high res and being sustained before you had confidence in it.

It then went a bit quiet cropping up, but not consistently, until 22 December. At that point it started to build, but still wasn't really clear unitl about Christmas Eve. So it can be quite close in before it really develops (rather giving the lie to the idea that the snowfall amounts always reduce...)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-12-15 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@notnats, IIRC it was about 3-4 days before - I drove out to Austria on boxing day into the 27th so experienced the amount of snow - the "snowmageddon" word was termed because of the chaos rather than the actual amount of snow which was not abnormal (maybe 30-60cm on average with more in a few locations).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Chamonix, three years ago today! Don't panic Mr Mannering.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

How many days before snowmageddon last year (after Boxing Day)was it a 'done deal' that there would be snowmageddon

IIRC the forecasts had shown the likelihood of snow for some days, with a substantial fall looking pretty certain the evening before. The snow started on cue, it wasn't a ridiculous amount (we had 30 cms which I think was quite widespread) and it started early morning, as predicted. So for the people who failed to pay attention and arrange to leave their resorts early in the morning, the chaos was entirely their own fault.

It was much harder for people coming in to resorts - I think all the autoroutes into the French alps were closed at one point.

The people saying that huge snowfall came out of the blue weren't paying attention.... it wasn't huge, and it had been accurately forecast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, "snowmageddon" last year was more the fact that it snowed a bit on a very busy changeover day. And a changeover day after a long period of zero snow which meant people (foolishly) just weren't prepared. Jan 30, now that really was snowmageddon
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bleudegex, but pretty awesome skiing the next day Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Jan 30, now that really was snowmageddon

I had to drive to Arabba, starting with pulling out of a snowdrift the car belonging to a Snowhead to whom I was giving a lift. He arrived on foot in a blizzard at 11 pm the night before, having abandoned the car and got a lift with a coincidental British couple who came along in a big 4WD. They wouldn't chance driving up our road which was more than knee deep, not been ploughed for a while, so the last bit was on foot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jbob, ah yes 3 years ago this week, at only 1200m in the very small resort of Hirmentaz, my old iphone 4 snapped this (no filters / editing applied)

If you look closely you'll see Big Bird from seasame st on top of the middle tree.....that's a weather pattern I'm looking out for on all the graphs, the Big Bird effect, dumps all over El Nino.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah 3 years ago I spent what seemed like most days in December and January digging my car out to get to work and then digging it in again in the evening. That was my first year living at the foot of the Jura and I've been slightly disappointed this hasn't proved to be the norm...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuesday the 15th looks like a decent snowfall event.......sustained for a good few hours according to meteox, whom I followed closely 12 months ago ahead of snowmegedon which they do accurately forecast!!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Noza can you arrange it not to snow too much on the 22/12 as I will be driving to the Alps. Thank you.
ski holidays
Radar shows a fair bit more behind it up to 7pm which as far as it runs to today. Be interesting to see what tomorrow shows to. Still a week away though so much could change. Sweeps in from a westerly direction.... I guess the FL will be all important for snow. As long as it's above 1500m that suits
latest report
@jbob, there's a nice new Ibis budget in Sallanches. Just let it snow, OK?
snow report
stefoy4me wrote:
Tuesday the 15th looks like a decent snowfall event.......sustained for a good few hours according to meteox, whom I followed closely 12 months ago ahead of snowmegedon which they do accurately forecast!!!!!

The 15th is still too far away to be predictable - still a crap shoot IMO
ski holidays
Thanks for snowmageddon info. I have first hand experience of the event as it took us 43 hours to get back to London from tignes. I was interested in how long before the event it was obvious that there would be heavy snowfall
snow report
Thanks Hiedi!!!!!!

Forget it folks...., bring your lawnmowers!!!!! Lol

Let's have a tad optimism...... Agreed it's a long way out but it's better than just showing a blocking high pressure system!!!
latest report
Notnats........it was an ever revolving picture that firmed up say by day....xmas eve was when I tried to convince our group that an overnight in reims boxing night was worth ditching!!!!! We ended up to agreeing on a 3am start from reims.....I wanted to drive straight thru!!!!! But was voted down. Arrived Ste foy 24 hours later!!!!!!!!
latest report
notnats wrote:
Thanks for snowmageddon info. I have first hand experience of the event as it took us 43 hours to get back to London from tignes. I was interested in how long before the event it was obvious that there would be heavy snowfall
I traveled back to London from Les Arcs. Was due to leave resort on snowmageddon day, but from the Tuesday prior to the Saturday I thought there was a good chance we would leave on Friday afternoon. The forecasts were increasingly certain of heavy snow starting early hours of Saturday morning, so on the Thursday morning I confirmed a hotel near Paris for us to drive to on the Friday night, avoiding the certainty of Saturday's chaos. Our total travel time was 12 hours, same a usual.
snow report
I too was caught up in Snowmaggedon (until I aborted early and bagged a hotel room) - the two things that haven't been mentioned are the snow was preceded by freezing rain (rather tricky to forecast) around Albertville which caused havoc on the main route out of the Tarentaise together with a high number of clowns who later set off with no snow chains.
snow conditions
So I go out at Christmas - nothing will change that even the lack of snow. What might change is whether I use my skis or whether I hire. If there are stones, mud patches etc... then I'll be risking the hire shop's not mine.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:

The 15th is still too far away to be predictable - still a crap shoot IMO

But on several threads people have pointed out many locations where the snow, at least on the piste, is very good. Don't understand your lack of logic.
snow report
@emwmarine, crap shoot for new snow.

Certain areas have very decent conditions. That's a for sure thing.

Anyway, a bit of snow is welcomed by everyone - so much is clear. And everyone wants it before their ski holiday begins, and some of us begin early than others... I have 5 more sleeps.
snow report
> How many days before snowmageddon last year (after Boxing Day)was it a 'done deal' that there would be snowmageddon

On Wednesday before snowmaggedon first talk of transfer day chaos:

stefoy4me Potential transfer day nightmare on Sunday.

a couple of hours later Ravelin specifically asks about Saturday but Rob says: In my experience the only time an access road has been closed is not because they can't clear it with snowploughs, but because the slopes directly above the road are avalanche prone and deemed unsafe.

all very reassuring followed by Chattonmill: The roads will be open.

later on Weds Noz says: Second heavier band reaches French and Swiss Alps on Saturday morning,

On Thurs pm philipb: I think we've moved on to worrying about the driving conditions!

Followed by this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115242

So first hints around Wednesday midday but no one forsaw the total lack of organisation on the day.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
So first hints around Wednesday midday but no one forsaw the total lack of organisation on the day.
All the information was available for several days in advance for those responsible for organising the local response. Obviously it would have been impossible for all the chaos to be avoided, but I think a better job could have been done, especially with regard to information flow, opening up emergency shelters, strictly enforcing regulations about winter equipment on cars and buses, etc. Self-drivers on the way out, like myself, had the information they needed to leave early and completely avoid the chaos, and inbound self-drivers, like chocksaway, had the information they needed to delay their arrival and book in to accommodation and at least spend the night in a bed rather than a car or a school hall.

As I understand it no roads were closed because the local authorities were unable to clear them of snow (as I suggested in the comment of mine that you quoted), but they became impassible because of the volume of traffic which were able to make progress in the snowy conditions. It only takes a very small number of cars or buses to make a road unusable if they are not equipped for driving in snowy conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
@emwmarine, crap shoot for new snow.

Certain areas have very decent conditions. That's a for sure thing.

Anyway, a bit of snow is welcomed by everyone - so much is clear. And everyone wants it before their ski holiday begins, and some of us begin early than others... I have 5 more sleeps.
Head high. Last week I skied in Tignes, this week in Hintertux. Piste conditions range from mostly OK to excellent, with icy patches appearing later in the day on busy sections. Today was largely spent skiing perfect grippy snow in pleasant temperatures, in mostly sunny conditions.
latest report
bleudegex wrote:
Yeah, "snowmageddon" last year was more the fact that it snowed a bit on a very busy changeover day.
It was more than "a bit". I agree that it wasn't a record-breaking dump of fresh snow, but from what I can remember it was 30-40cm over a 24-hour period, falling to low altitudes. That's more than a bit.
snow report
Quote:

they became impassible because of the volume of traffic which were able to make progress in the snowy conditions. It only takes a very small number of cars or buses to make a road unusable if they are not equipped for driving in snowy conditions.

And once there's a traffic jam the snowploughs can't get through anyway. A lot of people were moaning that they were stuck for hours with no food or drink. rolling eyes Anyone on the road without adequate supplies, given the forecast and the fact that it was one of the busiest transfer days of the year, really had only themselves to blame.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

As I understand it no roads were closed because the local authorities were unable to clear them of snow (as I suggested in the comment of mine that you quoted), but they became impassible because of the volume of traffic which were able to make progress in the snowy conditions. It only takes a very small number of cars or buses to make a road unusable if they are not equipped for driving in snowy conditions.

I quoted it to show that people were not particularly worried about the forecast snow and the authorities ability to cope, which they have in the past. No-one was saying "omg it's going to be snowmageddon" but obviously there were some worries with it being a t'fer day. Noz's Weds forecast nailed the precise timing of the storm so at that point, and as you say, information was available to punters like you and me to alter their travel plans (leave or arrive early or book a hotel).
snow conditions
I guess if you've got flexibility over your accommodation then it's easy to miss 'snowmaggedon' events. Like Rob, we've our own appartment and one of the biggest benefits is just being able to completely avoid the Saturday rush. I have to say, the dump was so well forecast you do wonder why people didn't think through the likely traffic impact a bit more.

rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
All the information was available for several days in advance for those responsible for organising the local response. Obviously it would have been impossible for all the chaos to be avoided, but I think a better job could have been done, especially with regard to information flow, opening up emergency shelters, strictly enforcing regulations about winter equipment on cars and buses, etc. Self-drivers on the way out, like myself, had the information they needed to leave early and completely avoid the chaos, and inbound self-drivers, like chocksaway, had the information they needed to delay their arrival and book in to accommodation and at least spend the night in a bed rather than a car or a school hall.

latest report
Sure someone has already posted it, but if it doesn't snow for the raft of the season (it will)...

http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ&sns=em
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Millom, the next week looks fairly set with temperatures a bit above average though there does look like being brief interludes of colder weather tomorrow and next Tuesday which could bring small amounts of fresh snow in places.

Beyond that it's hard to have any real confidence. The 06z would suggest a colder and more unsettled (snowy) run up to Christmas in the Alps. But you need to see that pattern sustained and at present it is tending to default to milder weather holding in place.

If the high pressure across Europe pulls back towards the Azores you'd see colder and snowier weather pushing into the Alps and on the current set up that could lead to heavy snowfall in the northern Alps at least. But for now the jet stream is just buckling as it hits that high pressure and spinning north.

Any thoughts on the jet stream strength and what impacts its velocity/strength? Right now, as I type the jet stream is absolutely crushing my home state, and where I am currently in Oregon for work. Loads of precip falling as the wrong kind of precip. unfortunately in the mountains but cooling off with a cool northerly flow. Weather forecasters are saying the jet is pushing 300 MPH @ 30,000 feet! Shocked Obviously you need a strong jet and a weakening high pressure to bust it all up and let the low trough come in, kick A to the double S, and dump some snow! So, is what's happening right now here in the PNW going to make it's way all the way across the continental U.S of A, then storm across the Atlantic keep motoring along like a runaway freight train and blast through that pesky Euro high pressure and dump some cold white happiness all over the Alps? I guess we will know in a few days. A good math question for the kids, right? wink How long does it take for a 300 mph jet stream take to reach the Alps. Of course it don't go in a straight line! Razz
snow conditions
@notnats, There were talks that big snow arrives around Boxing Day starting from the first couple weeks of last season, few days before Christmas Day it looked like a certainty.
ski holidays
rubbing it in @Toadman, ?
ski holidays
By the way, @Toadman, I've decided to go to Tignes - Wengen & Murren will have to happen another time...
snow conditions
A little top up of snow in Tignes overnight Very Happy
snow conditions
The temperatures way above the pole are hitting record lows and the wind speeds record highs. The jet stream is left very strong keeping everything bottled up north. If we want colder air to have a real chance to push south we need the polar vortex to be disrupted and a weakened jet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy