Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Scam!! St Anton. Carlos Bo Marin

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah wrote:
And from that email, his actual email is: me*****@gmail.com

That's too many asterisks to guess, surely.

Anyway, a variety of German 'scheisse' mailouts is soon on it's way to his live.com address.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clairepow, I don't think it's possible to "authorise the bank to return the funds". We receive some payments this way, to both UK and French accounts and I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be able to refund a payment without the refundee's bank details.

Still don't think this helps you much though, think you've been well and truly scammed! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really feel for you Claire! I think he just stole the pictures of Chalet le Rocher in Val d'Isere http://chaletlerocher.com You might be able to get people to take his chalet off if you show them that the pictures are from there...

Really hope your bank can help you recover the money and you can still have a nice holiday... Good luck!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
Never mind contacting his bank, I'd start with the police (or possibly start a thread on TGR to solicit a hungry malamute depending on which you feel would be more effective).

Can you tell me what TGR is??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clairepow, You really don't want to know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clairepow, good luck in sorting it out my heart goes out to you, I hope you or someone manages to track down the !@££$%^%^&&*!!!

I hope the trip in france turns out to be magic, have a great time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clairepow wrote:
musher wrote:
Never mind contacting his bank, I'd start with the police (or possibly start a thread on TGR to solicit a hungry malamute depending on which you feel would be more effective).

Can you tell me what TGR is??

It's to skiing and snowboarding what German 'scheisse' is to internet erotica.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Again on vacationrentals411.com
Owner details listed there as

David Gastigweg
St Anton, 6580 Phone: 00435628221

Having a bit of a CSI moment. Found this link

http://app.imcreator.com/static/B923A31E452D4710938E4D3A000ED533/home

Someones attempting to build a website for the place. Might be worth contacting the hosting co for details of the owner...

As already mentioned, the pics on that site appear to belong to another Chalet in Val d'Isere:

http://www.oxfordski.com/properties/lerocher

Google Reverse Image Search is your friend when you want to uncover 'borrowed' pics!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A definate match with the bathroom picture! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clairepow, sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately, I can offer you nothing but sympathy.

I did just try to ring the tel no. mentioned above (00435628221), but it doesn't seem to be a proper telephone number.

Thanks, for letting us all know about this scam. Maybe others will be saved from losing money by your efforts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you to you & everyone on the snowheads forum! I have been humbled at the great responses & support I have received, it has definately reminded me that 99% of us have the right moral code and look out for each other! As you said my main intention was always to prevent others being scammed & to do my best to make it as difficult as possible for "Carlos" to continue his low life operations, something this site, I am sure, has gone along way to achieving. I will definately be an avid follower in the future!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Again on vacationrentals411.com
Owner details listed there as

David Gastigweg
St Anton, 6580 Phone: 00435628221

Having a bit of a CSI moment. Found this link

http://app.imcreator.com/static/B923A31E452D4710938E4D3A000ED533/home

Someones attempting to build a website for the place. Might be worth contacting the hosting co for details of the owner...

As already mentioned, the pics on that site appear to belong to another Chalet in Val d'Isere:

http://www.oxfordski.com/properties/lerocher

Google Reverse Image Search is your friend when you want to uncover 'borrowed' pics!!

Have contacted imcreator they are investigating & if they can prove wrong doing they will remove the client. They have also contacted him telling him that he has been accused of fraud. I have now given them the link to oxford ski to prove he has ripped off the photos. They were though, unsurprisingly, not willing to give me any contact details.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You should contact the chalet whose pictures they are using, http://chaletlerocher.com as they can put more pressure on listing sites to remove this fake property.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dia_FindTransfers, it's on Scott Dunn site too, so I've dropped them a line with a link to it on Chaletpro.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clairepow, Have you contacted the police online fraud unit yet? If you haven't, you should.
snow report
There's enough evidence here to contact the police surely?

It's theft. And if he's been successful getting your money, then he'll have managed to get other people's money as well. This could be a huge!

Good luck and hope you get your money back.
latest report
Yes I logged it online with action fraud on Monday but will now go on & update my file with all the info you have managed to gather for me - thanks.
snow conditions
Have now contacted Chalet Le Rocher.
latest report
So its for sure a scam then Sad sad times Hope you get your cash back although I don't have that much faith in the Spanish banking system for that.
ski holidays
clairepow, just wondering if you had got anywhere with this yet? I see it is still on Chaletpro, as I am an advertiser on there, I have also emailed them to make them aware of the situation, but have heard nothing from them.
latest report
Chaletpro have replied to my email, and are going to remove this property from their site.
ski holidays
Why not try giving him your bank details? The way you're trying to go about it sounds needlessly complicated. It is standard stuff to give out your account number and sort code. No different from giving out your paypal address, etc. There's not much someone can do with just the numbers, I'd imagine the details are (semi?)publicly available somewhere if you were to look hard enough.
ski holidays
I am Sure I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying that as well.
ski holidays
vik, I'm pretty sure the evidence has come down on it being a non-existent chalet...
latest report
Hi. Another sucker here unfortunately. 'Carlos' has scammed EUR 3000 out of us. I also contacted chaletpro. Here is their response.

I'm sorry to hear that you might have been a victim of something untoward as a result of our site.
We run Chaletpro as a useful service to chalet owners, to help people discover their properties and to make contact. We don't take payment, or make any money from running the site, and we take their listings in good faith, and as such we don't make any checks into the validity of the listing. I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. We do take some basic details when they create their listing which I've shared below:

David Barisse
Gastigweg
Sankt Anton am Arlberg
Tel: 0043662512
antonchalet@live.com

On the basis of your email I've removed the listing from our site.
If there's anything else I can do please let me know.
Best,
SImon
ski holidays
Yep here we go

http://m.autoblog.com/2008/01/07/jeremy-clarksons-bank-account-hacked-to-prove-a-point/
latest report
Gavacac, sorry to hear that Evil or Very Mad Hope you have reported to police etc. Do let us know if you get anywhere with it.
snow report
Gavacac, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I'm just sorry that your first post was under such unfortunate circumstances. Sad

If you feel like it, do stay and read and post about other matters. You'll find that the forum is a great resource of information for all snow related activities, and the other posters are (with a few exceptions wink ) very friendly. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gavacac, again, try contacting the police online fraud unit.
snow report
I consider the increasing use of the internet to be, probably, the most important improvement to our lives over the past ten years.

However, its use as a vehicle to defraud other users seriously risks it future.

Is it really beyond the Governments of the World to put more resources into the detection of on-line fraud, and, more importantly to devise some worthwhile punishments for criminals, so that the rise of on-line fraud is stopped?

I would support, by way of higher taxes if needed, any workable initiative to strongly clamp down on these fraudsters.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot, I see where you're coming from and it does concern me when you hear noises coming from Gov't about how we have a digital economy now. However due to the international and often anonymous nature of the internet, it is hard to legislate against sharp practice online, and enforce it.

I do feel sorry for people like Gavacac and clairepow too, they've most likely lost their hard-earned cash, and I think it highlights the need for banks to offer an insured ESCROW-like service for their customers making transfers to third parties (think a version of PAYPAL underwritten by your bank) so transactions between accounts are protected.
snow report
This is bloody awful. Sorry to hear about this. Some great detective work from the snowHead though
snow conditions
Looks like Carlos has been busy. http://forum.holidaywatchdog.com/chalet-scam-in-st-anton-austria-owner-carlos-bo-marin-t115736.html
ski holidays
Gavacac, clairepow, have you tried contacting BBC Watchdog? Surely this is right up their street.

Worth a go, I'd say.

Sorry to hear of your predicament by the way...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 16-11-12 14:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
More like Rogue Traders. Watchdog are more about the little guy vs. big stuff aren't they? Some random bloke from Spain isn't going to interest them as much as going after a big supermarket or something.

Also, Watchdog's finest investigative conclusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchdog_(TV_series)#Pop-Tarts
latest report
Maybe, but anything's worth a go, isn't it?
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Mr Marmot, I see where you're coming from and it does concern me when you hear noises coming from Gov't about how we have a digital economy now. However due to the international and often anonymous nature of the internet, it is hard to legislate against sharp practice online, and enforce it.

I do feel sorry for people like Gavacac and clairepow too, they've most likely lost their hard-earned cash, and I think it highlights the need for banks to offer an insured ESCROW-like service for their customers making transfers to third parties (think a version of PAYPAL underwritten by your bank) so transactions between accounts are protected.

Of course it will be difficult. But if someone doesn't try to resolve this problem soon, one of the main benefits of the internet will be made useless. This would affect all of us.

If Governments can work together to invade other countries, then I'm pretty sure they have the resources that would make any internet fraudster think twice about whether doing the crime is worth the punishment it produces.

The Governments just need the will. Voters could give them that will.
snow report
If you Google Carlos Bo Marin now you get plenty of links advising of this scam. Well done to all those who have made the effort to warn others of the scam. I hope it helps someone, somewhere.

Unfortunately, I guess he will be back scamming again soon enough, but under a different name.

Obviously, if he had actually been caught and locked away, then we would all be safe now from the nasty cheating little piece of sh*te.
snow report
Just come back on the forum again & it seems there's been more activity here & definatly from "Carlos". Whilst my pride is a little less hurt on hearing that others have also been caught, I am devastated that he appears to be scamming so many world wide, the holidaywatchdog.com page makes really scary reading. As has been said the Internet has opened up a whole new world of opportunities for unsavoury characters and the police & authorities do not appear to have the ability or willingness to deal with them!!
I completed the online actionfraud report on Nov 6th & have now phoned them to provide a lot more information & to try & get an update as i have heard nothing from them. They have taken all the info which they say has been passed on to the police but they have no further involvement & are unable to tell me any more. There is apparently nothing more I can do via the police, my only hope of recovering the money is through the bank. My bank could ask for a recall of the payment as it wasn't an urgent transfer (although he did request this obviously to try & avoid a recall) & they have now heard from the spanish bank that he is refusing to release the money. We and the bank are assuming from this that there has been contact with him & the bank's fraud team have now got involved. There is absolutely nothing to be gained in my view from providing our bank details to this lowlife & all I would be doing is implicating myself further.
I will continue to contact & provide as much info as I can to anyone who can help to stop this scam & can you all please post this story on any other sites you feel relevant. Dave from J2ski has contacted me to say he has logged it there, and it looks like the sites he advertises with are gradually removing his listings. Keep up the good work snowheads!!
ski holidays
clairepow, I've also posted this on Lay my Hat, a forum for holiday home owners who will be able to keep an eye out for him and his fake homes advertising on other sites.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy