Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Scam!! St Anton. Carlos Bo Marin

Poster: A snowHead
I found a chalet for 12 on Chalet Pro website in St Anton, Austria which looked perfect and emailed the owner through their site for details & prices. After a good few days of lots of research ( I have been booking ski holidays for over 20 years!) I decided that the Chalet & owner were legitimate. He even gave me details of several other properties he was renting in Spain, Gran Canaria & St Martin, all with very professional web adverts. We sent our money by bank transfer after receiving full rental documents & invoicing. Email communication throughout was good until he had our money.
The next email I received was extremely aggressive stating that as I was asking so many questions about him & the property he did not trust me & was cancelling our agreement & returning our money. I did not want to give him our bank details so requested my bank to reclaim the monies and he advised he would authorise his spanish bank to return the whole amount.
I have heard nothing from him since this day, despite several emails, and funnily enough have never had my money back! Unfortunately I never had a contact phone number as he stated he was travelling a lot to manage his properties, something which now, in hind sight, should have sounded alarm bells for me!!
The chalet was advertised as Anton Chalet but his email address was Chalet Marin (his name).
The holiday was taking place over new year & we had booked our flights to Freidrichschafen Airport based on having this accommodation. We have been unable to find any accommodation within our budget in Austria & are now facing the prospect of a very long drive to France, however, I am grateful that we did not turn up to find the Chalet did not exist.
I have attempted to contact all the sites he advertises with to get him removed, but many have not even bothered to respond. He is even on Trip Adviser.
Please DO NOT book any holiday accommodation advertised by this conman & warn all your friends. Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-11-12 12:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clairepow, you've obviously had a rough time with this and you've clearly angry, but i'm failing to see the scam element... Sharp practice perhaps, sounds like you were probably gazumped for a higher paying client, but where's the scam? Have you been able to recover the money paid yet?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why would you not give him your bank details?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He wanted their bank account details so he could pay the money back in. What he really wanted it for was probably further from the truth.

I have been asked in the past for my cancellation policy on the first request for information. I dont go any further. They just want your bank details to try and empty it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clairepow What have Chalet Pro had to say about it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, according to a similar post on Trip Advisor she didn't get her money back.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No we have not had our money back & as jafa rightly said we didn't know what this man was capable of & were worried about losing more money & even identity fraud!! We took the more secure route of requesting the return of the monies from the Spanish bank & he promised he would contact them to authorise this. But it never happened & we assume he was removing & laundering the money so it could not be traced.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chalet Pro & the other 2 websites where the property is advertised have not responded to any of my e-mails. They give no telephone contacts.
I am sure that the property doesn't even exist it was because I kept asking for the exact location/ address he claims was the reason for terminating the contract. Because of this he asked if I had a vendetta against him & had i known him in the past & fallen out with him, I am sure he is not the owner of any of the properties he is advertising.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 8-11-12 9:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clairepow, I've searched through my emails for you, as they did email me asking me to advertise on there several years ago. I have a phone number of

07590 404083

What are the other sites. Looks like this one free to put an ad on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the phone number I will try & ring them. The other sites are http://www.allmountainholidays.com/viewproperty.php?id=4944 and http://www.scenicrentals.com/property/4022 but the scenic rentals one seems to have been removed now, as I've just tried to access it & the link isn't working any more.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clairepow wrote:
We have been unable to find any accommodation within our budget in Austria...
I'm surprised a that. Where/when do you want to go?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
clairepow wrote:
We have been unable to find any accommodation within our budget in Austria...
I'm surprised a that. Where/when do you want to go?

It's new year week, we were having to go self catered because this is the most expensive time & were already on a tight budget. As we have now lost nearly £1000 per family we had even less to spend & we just couldn't find anything in Austria to suit. We have though got a place in France now thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clairepow, some owners a reluctant to give out the postal address of their holiday properties, it is not unknown for the people requesting the details to also be scammers, and to steal from the property. Some have had the whole contents of their home stolen. I usually get round this by giving them a Google map with an approximate location (or the location on the resort map e.g. e4). without giving the exact address. They get this with arrival details once their bill has been paid. Renting property is a matter of trust between guest and owner. We all have to be sure we are doing the right thing. One of the big holiday rental sites has some hints and tips for guests considering renting property from private owners. In most cases it is safe and reliable to do so. Unfortunately at this time of year fake chalets in big resorts such as Chamonix, St Anton and Verbier seem to appear. I've tried looking for the photos on Google Images to see if I can spot a genuine chalet using the same images, but haven't found them yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
clairepow, I've searched through my emails for you, as they did email me asking me to advertise on there several years ago. I have a phone number of

07590 404083

What are the other sites. Looks like this one free to put an ad on.

Just tried to ring but mobile went to answer phone. Not sure if this site is still currently active but will keep trying.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clairepow, I've just checked my own property on there, and it is still listed, although I haven't had an email from them for a long time now.
All the other properties in Serre Chevalier are ones I recognise, and seem genuine, but then so did the one you thought you had booked.
ski holidays
Yes we did have this conversation about the exact address and the possibility that I was less than genuine before I sent the money, I could understand this as I have booked lots of other foreign properties & this all helped to convince me that he was legitimate. But it was after he had received the money that his tone really changed & he said he no longer trusted me. We had sent him the full rental amount not just a deposit so were entitled, i believe, to know the full address. Why would I send him this amount of money if my intentions were not honourable?
snow report
clairepow, not suggesting you weren't reliable. He seems like a nasty piece of work, and I sincerely hope there are no other people who have been scammed by him.
ski holidays
Yes that's why I have posted on this forum, (something I 've never done before!) because I really don't want him to con money out of anyone else!!
snow report
clairepow wrote:
Unfortunately I never had a contact phone number as he stated he was travelling a lot to manage his properties, something which now, in hind sight, should have sounded alarm bells for me!!

Have you tried the landline he provides here?

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/arguineguin/254485
snow report
miranda, well spotted.
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
clairepow wrote:
Unfortunately I never had a contact phone number as he stated he was travelling a lot to manage his properties, something which now, in hind sight, should have sounded alarm bells for me!!

Yes I've tried all the numbers he has listed on the websites & none of them work!
ski holidays
clairepow, when was the last contact you had and how much money have you paid?
snow report
I would also let Holiday Lettings know if they are advertising a property with a fake phone number....
snow report
miranda, definitely.
ski holidays
I have contacted all the websites he advertises with not just the St Anton chalet ones to alert them. We paid almost 3500 euros & I have not heard from him since October 11th when he promised to contact his bank to authorise the return of the funds.
snow report
clairepow, thats really crap Shocked
ski holidays
clairepow, Just a thought, suggest you contact St A Tourist Information and report the Company, they might be able to help, they wont like this sort of stuff getting the town a bad name and might just be able to assist you?
snow conditions
clairepow wrote:
miranda wrote:
clairepow wrote:

Yes I've tried all the numbers he has listed on the websites & none of them work!

Strangely enough in reverse I get a lot of enquiries with no telephone numbers They are always saying things like"absolutely love your apartment and cant wait to spend time there" etc. Can we have it now sort of thing. When I ask them for a number to call them back on---nothing. And thats normally e mailing them back within minutes.

Im sorry to say but someone who indicates they are travelling so much, it would be far more likely it would be a mobile number to get in contact than a land line number. Considering he couldnt even provide that would have made me walk away immediately.

I have to continually remind myself to think like a new customer and what would they need to convince themselves that both the property exists and so does their reservation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Credit Card through paypal next time? Any legitimate owners after a problem with this, apart from additional charges?
latest report
clairepow, I just had a look at their website and also at Chalet Anton. It certainly looks nice from the photos but I have to say those could be library pictures, theres no outside photos nor location map, and the company doesnt have a landline, just a London address. I'm surprised frankly that you sent them any money, they look like a definitely dodgy outfit IMO. I know St Anton really well and recognise another of the places, but not your place because no outside photos. Also the brief of the town looks sketchy at best and has not been written by someone who knows the town, I'd expect to see a map/ accurate description/ room layouts/ photo's etc.

Suggest a visit to their registered address, and/ or a tentative enquiry from a non-connected person (make one up) with another mobile number and ask them to call you and try get dialogue going again, 1471 their number when they call (but likely will be a number witheld). Talk to Trading Standards.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
clairepow, Just a thought, suggest you contact St A Tourist Information and report the Company, they might be able to help, they wont like this sort of stuff getting the town a bad name and might just be able to assist you?

Yes I've done that. I contacted them originally to check out the Chalet & owner. They hadn't heard of it or him but said they only had lists of agencies not individual owners. I've told them now that if anyone else contacts them trying to verify the chalet it doesn't exist.
ski holidays
If you search on this guy you come up with several largish properties around Europe with several online agencies. All placed with them in the last couple of months with no feedback. I think I'd be in touch with the British and/or Spanish police.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
clairepow, I just had a look at their website and also at Chalet Anton. It certainly looks nice from the photos but I have to say those could be library pictures, theres no outside photos nor location map, and the company doesnt have a landline, just a London address. I'm surprised frankly that you sent them any money, they look like a definitely dodgy outfit IMO. I know St Anton really well and recognise another of the places, but not your place because no outside photos. Also the brief of the town looks sketchy at best and has not been written by someone who knows the town, I'd expect to see a map/ accurate description/ room layouts/ photo's etc.

Suggest a visit to their registered address, and/ or a tentative enquiry from a non-connected person (make one up) with another mobile number and ask them to call you and try get dialogue going again, 1471 their number when they call (but likely will be a number witheld). Talk to Trading Standards.

Asked him for photos etc but said he didn't have them on his laptop!! Yes I know looking at it in hindsight it's easy to pick up on the things that look "dodgy" but he was really VERY good at convincing me it was all legit. I could give people plenty of reasons now not to send the money, hence why I posted on this forum, but the fact is I did & I'm worried others will too. Have you taken a look at the other properties he is advertising? Most of these have all the things you are suggesting but I bet they're still not real. we have sent other spurious rental enquiries to try & regain contact but he has not responded, however, we did send one after we had booked the property & before the funds were released to see test him & he told my friend that it had already been booked that week. He really did his job very well!!!
ski holidays
Have tried Trading Standards :- the spanish don't recognise property owners as businesses so they can't help. I have also reported it to Action Fraud which deals with internet fraud so hopefully the police will be investigating him.
ski holidays
Again on vacationrentals411.com
Owner details listed there as

David Gastigweg
St Anton, 6580 Phone: 00435628221

Having a bit of a CSI moment. Found this link

http://app.imcreator.com/static/B923A31E452D4710938E4D3A000ED533/home

Someones attempting to build a website for the place. Might be worth contacting the hosting co for details of the owner...
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
David Gastigweg

Hmm is he saying that his last name is Gastigweg? That's just a street name in St Anton...
snow conditions
Can't say I've ever heard of the chalet, and the pictures are very vague, no outside shot and none of the interior ones show the windows clear enough to be able to potentially identify the buildings outside. Location also a bit vague, easy walk from the Galzigbahn can be in any number of directions, most location discriptions I've seen tend to mention either the area of town (Gastig, Stadle etc.) or also being a short walk from the Rendlbahn which is practically opposite the Galzig. Finally the Chalet features doesn't exactly add up to what's listed in the facility description, why mention the private indoor pool in one and not the other?
ski holidays
Thanks for the link - no phone number on the site but have sent them an email.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Again on vacationrentals411.com
Owner details listed there as

David Gastigweg

Having a bit of a CSI moment. Found this link

http://app.imcreator.com/static/B923A31E452D4710938E4D3A000ED533/home

Someones attempting to build a website for the place. Might be worth contacting the hosting co for details of the owner...

I'm certain I've seen those pictures on a website for a chalet in Courchevel or Verbier. The magazines on the table on the Contact page are also all French magazines !!! I'm afraid this is a complete scam and I don't think this chalet even exists in St Anton. I'd phone the police as has been suggested.
latest report
Have just tried to ring the number from vacation rentals it's a dud!!! Think this listing must be pretty new as I didn't find it in any of the searches I've done before. Yes the police are involved.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy