Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for sharing your latest episodes, especially the crashes! Toofy Grin glade you are all back safely & had fun!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A definite improvement.

Loose / powder snow on piste was the cause of a most of your 'moments' and it is a tricky thing to get used to when you're still stepping turns.

There's still a tendency to let your body fall back into the hill and to sit back. Try to make a definite pole plant as the start of each new turn and then 'throw' your body forward and across your skis ie down the hill in an almost exagerrated movement - this will take some time to get the hang of.

Is another trip to Hemel planned before your half term trip?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*Interesting to note that...at least 4 of the 6 mishaps were initiated in the same manner.

*this is in "bend ze knees" after all! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeh. Powdery stuff
Not sure what happened. Just bit the dust lol

Red:
Yes definitely getting up to Hemel for a go with ISO guys before Feb
Hopefully they can help me establish a surer n safer skiing style that I can carry onto steeper terrain
and moguls etc

I can clearly see my faults eg back seat n poles flailing. Turning my upper body first etc
But when on the slope I think I'm skiing perfectly n elegantly. Lol
The reality is far from elegant. But I do feel safer n more in control
Mostly thanks to the feedback n advice from this forum
Many thanks to my hecklers. Lol
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, and stop looking at yer bloody ski tips wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
franzClammer, and stop looking at yer bloody ski tips wink

Yeh and the ski tip hypnosis..lol Madeye-Smiley
Affirmitive
Cheers

http://youtube.com/v/I9yEedcMkMo&list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw&index=2
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guess what ....
I've managed to snatch another trip away already
8 more glorious days in Meribel. Travelling tomorrow
evening by coach (Skimeribel).
So I ain't had time to get to HH for any lessons.
De Ja vu!!
Anyway if you watched any of me vids n can offer any
last minute tips, please do.
Should I be focusing on
Getting parallel losing the step turns
Seperation n facing down the slope
Improving pole plants n posture: head up
Initiating turns by Steering with skis not the shoulder
What should I prioritise?
No gopro this time but will upload some iPhone footage when back
Ciao
Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One to add...

Lose the "lean in" turn initiation, focus on "not" doing that and you won't crash out so much!

Have fun Lucky bug9er!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer, enjoy. Apparently "ski" means spending kids' inheritance.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer, Don't forget to have fun wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby wrote:
franzClammer, enjoy. Apparently "ski" means spending kids' inheritance.

More fool you for telling them they had one in the first place rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, who said I've told them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer wrote:
Guess what ....
I've managed to snatch another trip away already
8 more glorious days in Meribel. Travelling tomorrow
evening by coach (Skimeribel).
So I ain't had time to get to HH for any lessons.
De Ja vu!!
Anyway if you watched any of me vids n can offer any
last minute tips, please do.
Should I be focusing on
Getting parallel losing the step turns
Seperation n facing down the slope
Improving pole plants n posture: head up
Initiating turns by Steering with skis not the shoulder
What should I prioritise?
No gopro this time but will upload some iPhone footage when back
Ciao
Laughing Laughing rolling eyes

When are you going again? So lucky!
I'll be in 3V tomorrow! Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowpie wrote:

When are you going again? So lucky!
I'll be in 3V tomorrow! Razz

Sorry I missed your reply
I am in Meribel now. Been upgraded free to my fav venue at chaudanne
Snow is beautiful blue skies today
Anyone know the forecast?

Yes I feel like a proper Lucky so n so lol
I was grinning like your proverbial Cheshire Cat
on the way

Ski legs ready from previous week. Made such a difference today
Just warming up on greens- easy blues with my novice pal
Ciao Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gatecrasher wrote:
*Interesting to note that...at least 4 of the 6 mishaps were initiated in the same manner.

My money is on the sinister red Dalek that keeps following him around.
snow report
Pmsl Mad
snow report
No Dalek this time 8-( so minimal footage so far
I know this was going a bit fast but apart from the lone boarder I felt that it was safe to open up
Back in Blighty on Sunday so will be posting edited footage
This is raw there's a 20 second delay before I appear
All comments welcomed

http://youtube.com/user/colelynchwatch?v=lUPCrupE6CE

http://youtube.com/v/lUPCrupE6CE&feature=youtube_gdata_player&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlUPCrupE6CE%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&gl=GB
snow report
I think you terrified the person on the board! wink
ski holidays
meh, He terrified me!
How did that run end over the brow of the hill? Stop successfully?
Very difficult to judge from a video and not seeing in person but were you always able to stop or control yourself at that speed for any unexpected events or people that may appear on the piste? Normally video footage shot like that makes people appear really slow that did not snowHead
The progress you are making is great and i am sure from previous vids you have posted that you can reign it back when it is needed.
Great to start to get some speed up though isnt it.
snow report
Errr............comments, I'm glad I wasn't just beyond the brow of the hill!! franzClammer, Did you actually take off? Laughing Seriously, the good point - you still have your confidence, the constructive comment - When you have snow that is reasonable on a good empty slope like that it might be worth considering that it might have been a nice place to have....er.... practised your different turn shapes Toofy Grin .

NB. I struggled to get the myoutube link to work so edited it and our friend makes an appearance at about 33+ seconds:

http://youtube.com/v/lUPCrupE6CE
snow report
Hi Folks
I must admit I did post the clip of most extreme & dangerous skiing I did this week, really in order to keep this thread alive.
In response to the very judicious kind comments, given I was skiing like a nutter: I had walked down to check it was clear over the brow then dashed back up to put skis on which is when the boarder got past me. I gave him time but he didn't wiz off as they usually do. my friend had signalled from below that the coast was clear. But the boarder just got in front of me! I did this stunt a couple of times & did check it was clearish.
My skis did leave the surface. Yes I managed to stop quite safely at the 1st cannon. I have footage to upload when home from below. The rest of the week was spent with my novice pal so I have managed to get plenty of solid sedate skiing. My main aim apart from scaring boarders was to ski at My speed rather than let the steepness dictate.
I previously told 2 women off for lurking just over the brow of one of my fav steeps on a blue. A pet hate I am nurturing. Despite the illusion of confidence in my skiing performance. I do Always in the back of my mind expect there to be a line of kids behind an instructor snaking across my path. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt someone through being stupid. So I am ready for the unexpected as much as poss.
Anyway now I've painted myself whiter than white. I'll probly get rat assed at the Folie Douce n fall down a red with all the seasonaires in the dark like yesterday. Lol
More footage to follow. Stay tuned
We have half day skiing tomorrow the land back at Dover 9am Sunday
Never returned to snow at home before. Anyone fancy a schuss on the South Downs next week Madeye-Smiley
Keep the comments coming. I do appreciate the input, even the tongue in cheek ones
Ciao
latest report
Megamum : thanks for doting that link out. I'm using an iPhone to post this from Meribel so not sure if this will work either

This is the 2nd n final time I did this. There is another delay whilst I ran up to put my skis on. I felt very in control. Stop sniggering!

http://youtube.com/v/26YImHxvmDs

Sent from my iPhone rolling eyes
snow report
What say yee about my turns n posture
Don't be shy I'm quite thick skinned..., & know Kung Fu ... Lol Laughing
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
What say yee about my turns
To be honest, it's difficult to describe them as turns. You are making a zig zag track by pushing your skis sideways in one direction, then waiting, then pushing them in the opposite direction. The skis don't follow any kind of arc, they don't steer you (you steer them) and they are not really giving you much control of line or speed. In the 2nd Tougnette clip compare your turn shape withe the turn shape of the skier who goes down before you. Which turn shape do you think will give you more control when you start to ski on steep terrain?
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:

Well......

Nah! Sod it....run out of troll fodder!

Made me smile though! Very Happy
latest report
gatecrasher, I have to admit, I just can't help smiling at our friend's boundless enthusiasm too and I'm only a learner myself. I can't help thinking it would do my skiing the world of good to have a dose of whatever he is on!! franzClammer, promise me you won't change your outfit, I think the rest of the slope users need all the help they can get Laughing

Maybe tomorrow get your friend to video you skiing a blue whilst making some nice big C shaped turns and then the instructors on here might have a bit more to go on. N.B. I hope for everyone's sake that you never get to point where you feel 'out of control'!! N.N.B. I think there may even be a school of thought which might suggest that skiing is not only about how fast you can get from A to B.

franzClammer, I will confess to a belief that SH's needs you, you certainly liven things up and I shall return to videos, for a smile, whenever I need cheering up. Very Happy
ski holidays
Well congratulations boys and girls, you task is accomplished you have taken Franz from numpty to nutter in just three weeks Laughing
latest report
Masque, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Who says online tuition doesn't pay! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, Looks dangerous, but fun. PLZZZ get some lessons before you hurt yourself (but not too many) Very Happy
Whatever you do, do NOT stop posting your clips!! Laughing

Masque, gatecrasher, +1 Laughing
snow report
Masque wrote:
Well congratulations boys and girls, you task is accomplished you have taken Franz from numpty to nutter in just three weeks Laughing

Best 3 weeks of my life Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yes I completely agree that I need some lessons quite urgently or some kind of restraining device lol
I've been promising to get up to Hemel with ISO n co
I should've had em out ere but 'twas shoestring stylie
So that's top of my agenda.
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I'm rubbish still but LOVE it so!
What a buzz feel 21 again with skis on & I stopped on Cretes up high today totally alone and was overwhelmed by the beauty and rarity of my situation completely alone knee deep in powder under perfect blue skies high in the Alps up with the angels man! I think it's called an epiphany
So rest assured there is more going on than just tearing down groomed pistes. Just wish this had all happened in 1982 lol
Meanwhile will attempt some larger radius turns tomorrow
Better get some kip now..... Look at the time Embarassed Embarassed
Ciao
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
To be honest, it's difficult to describe them as turns. You are making a zig zag track by pushing your skis sideways in one direction, then waiting, then pushing them in the opposite direction. The skis don't follow any kind of arc, they don't steer you (you steer them) and they are not really giving you much control of line or speed. In the 2nd Tougnette clip compare your turn shape withe the turn shape of the skier who goes down before you. Which turn shape do you think will give you more control when you start to ski on steep terrain?

Thanks for that Rob I thought I was doing something wrong
Points noted.
ski holidays
I believe Admin has pants just like yours (in that last clip)....so you're progressing wink
snow report
franzClammer, Well it's clear that you've got the confidence factor dialed in . . . till you have your first 'big one' . . . and I see you are focused on where you are going and not what's about to slide under your tips (makes a difference don't it wink ). However, what you don't have is all the small and essential control elements to pull you back and divert you from being what is now a ballistic weapon into a cruise missile. You need to slow down with some supervised lessons to gain those fine control skills that will keep you and others safer on the hill.

You may find it a boring week but it really is necessary now . . . next trip, promise?
snow conditions
Masque, excellent analogy, he has to turn from a 12 bore shot gun into a rifle!! Though I must admit your wording 'ballistic weapon' does seem singularly apt! wink

franzClammer, these guys are right, lessons are going to help loads, even I can see it and I am only learning myself.

However, you are a complete gem and clearly able to laugh at yourself as well, this speaks loads for you and the fact that you didn't take down your videos as the first sign of criticism either. Now you need to splash some cash on some instruction and you will get even more fun out of your next holiday.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
you are a complete gem and clearly able to laugh at yourself as well

+1

franzClammer (or should that be Tomahawk?) take a look at this
clip* to give you an idea about "hedges" wink

*NOT a replacement for real lessons. The InsideOut guys are good.
ski holidays
Mmmmm....

The freeze frame at about 2:44 demonstrates, for me, that the words and actions don't always marry. He's saying grab your knees and push them inside the turn yet the face-on shot shows his upper and lower legs aligned with no strain on the knees.
ski holidays
altis, yes, that's right. I think that clip is a poor example of instruction videos.
snow conditions
Yay - got it right for once!

I remember, on an L2, with a couple of school-leavers supposedly doing some group practice while the trainer was elsewhere. Instead we were messing around trying to scrape our bums on the snow and then stand up again. Turned out to be, actually, quite instructional for me but it's probably not something Tomahawk Wink should be aiming for now.

Tell you what though, he's obviously caught the bug, hook, line and sinker and that's great to see.
snow conditions
Perhaps not a good video.
But, I'd really like to see a clip of "Tomahawk" trying it out Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
Perhaps not a good video.
But, I'd really like to see a clip of "Tomahawk" trying it out Toofy Grin

Sorry but I think my back bottom sees quite enough of the snow at this stage along with my face NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy