Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
franzClammer wrote:
olderscot wrote:

I'd love to hear from some of the others here how far they think you've come towards reaching L2. I know you have time at Hemel but I suspect weeks on the slope are where the real progress is made. Do people think you're maybe within 4 weeks of Level 2 or are you pretty much already there?

The silence speaks volumes Laughing
Personally I think I'm ok on my piste performence (longs n shorts) to start pre L2 training. But I need another season to get up to scratch in the bumps and variable.
Options for next year are DIY route to L2, incl IOS input together with Marmalade or consider the MiniGap type course that New Gen are offering.

I and my wife really enjoyed the IoS week with Marmalade, Derek can also give you an honest view of how close you are to L2 standard without the stress of doing the actual course which I found very useful.

For me practise was/is key for bumps, many resorts seem to bash moguls so I had to actively seek them out when in the Alps. I also went to XScape once a month for about 12 months when they had moguls created and skied them 2 hours a month. This helped an awful lot.

Same with variables, you need to ski the worst snow you can find every time you are in the Alps, even if it's lumpy, crusty and bumpy!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@franzclammer, I'm not sure what you mean when you say ready to start pre L2 training. You have your L1 and are already working on improving so already doing it ! Each BASI level is just a stage in your development, remember it is a journey not a destination, most Trainers I know still do development weeks, race training etc. Those who get stuck on plateaus are usually the people who self inflict themselves. Don't put you in that camp as you seem to be making progress judging by a quick read of the comments (I don't have the time to watch your long never ending unedited videos, sorry) If you would like some feedback happy to do so but do what Kitenski does and put up a short clip of something specific and ideally get some proper footage not just 10 minute long wobbly go pro stuff.

I would continue to "drill for skills" at Hemel and use your mountain time to gain mileage and hit the bumps and variables as you mention. Do some training with like minded people with BASI focussed training from us, Marmalade or others.. All being well you may get a work out in Finland doing some ripping piste performance next season Wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
@franzclammer, I'm not sure what you mean when you say ready to start pre L2 training. You have your L1 and are already working on improving so already doing it !

Well to be honest I was trying to be humble. I feel I am still a novice and trying not to let my ego get inflated by talk of L2.
Pre L2 training just meant to ski more bumps n variable. My big challenge is the low vis skiing, that's my current weakest area.

skimottaret wrote:

(I don't have the time to watch your long never ending unedited videos, sorry) If you would like some feedback happy to do so but do what Kitenski does and put up a short clip of something specific and ideally get some proper footage not just 10 minute long wobbly go pro stuff.

Lol I appreciate what you say about the vids. But in my defence they weren't really for analysis, more for folk who just watch em for the sake of it. But I take on board what you're saying.

Yes I feel a made some progress this season. I was fortunate enough to have 2 wks consecutive skiing with a few mornings of Marmalade input.
skimottaret wrote:

I would continue to "drill for skills" at Hemel and use your mountain time to gain mileage and hit the bumps and variables as you mention. Do some training with like minded people with BASI focussed training from us, Marmalade or others.. All being well you may get a work out in Finland doing some ripping piste performance next season Wink Toofy Grin

I'm gonna get back to Race Club,
Im planning to do some work with you guys at Hemel and hopefully the BASI Tune Up/Fast Track.
Very excited at the prospect of the Finland Trip
Thanks for the advice. Cheers Scott
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

(I don't have the time to watch your long never ending unedited videos, sorry) If you would like some feedback happy to do so but do what Kitenski does and put up a short clip of something specific and ideally get some proper footage not just 10 minute long wobbly go pro stuff.

Lol I appreciate what you say about the vids. But in my defence they weren't really for analysis, more for folk who just watch em for the sake of it. But I take on board what you're saying.

Being able to edit out the important bits of a video is a useful coaching skill, why not start learning how to do it with your own ones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer wrote:

skimottaret wrote:

I was going to suggest posting clips of 1 - 2 minutes would mean more folk watching and more comments IMHO, perhaps post both if you wish? A short succinct version and the "full fat" version?? There are loads of editing tools out there and it doesn't take long to put together a short clip.

That's the reason I don't comment, I start watching, see it's 15 mins long and stop watching!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But in my defence they weren't really for analysis, more for folk who just watch em for the sake of it.

It's not very humble to think that anyone would want to watch 15 minutes..... wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, D'accorde

http://youtube.com/v/2T1QhmswigU
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franzClammer, Look at the last turn before the video stops. what do you see?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@scooby_simon, wedge!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@scooby_simon, @dobby, I see a cause which leads to the outcome..., will see if @franzClammer, can spot anything before I type!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmmm ok lets have a closer look Puzzled
better clip

http://youtube.com/v/e65Zz8BA2oQ
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WOTIS?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@scooby_simon, I think you maybe overestimate my analysis skills Puzzled Puzzled Put me out of my misery.
@kitenski, I'm pretty clueless mate. Other than lacking angulation & a late pole plant. I find it hard to pinpoint a lacking single fundamental. Just a need to improve overall. Stand taller, cuff neutral & find some flow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think your weigh is on the inside ski in the turn being referred to. You can see it tracks differently to the outer ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
WOTIS?
Puzzled uh? wassat mean?
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
I think your weigh is on the inside ski in the turn being referred to. You can see it tracks differently to the outer ski.

Yeh I'd agree. I think I kinda sit back mid to late turn phase which would add to that.
I find that as I try to tighten/reduce the arc of the turn, doing shorts I really need to keep up with the "whoosh" part of the turn phase, think its the "shaping" phase (trying to learn the jargon too rolling eyes ) So yeh I find I need to stay tall in that phase and maintain for/aft balance. (probly all obvious to most on BZK)
ski holidays
Still grab from video

ski holidays
WOTIS = Weight On the Inside Ski. wink
snow report
@kitenski,
Very good obs, cheers for that Smile
snow conditions
@pam w, ahhh. Brava! not just a pretty face Smile
You coming to Lapland?
snow report
@franzClammer, Watch how the gap between your feet changes through each turn.
snow conditions
@franzClammer, I think the reason for fewer comments is that you've improved so much that more of us can't say anything useful - very well done. We'll leave you to the pros coz BASI levels are about precision and we hackers just wanna have fun Laughing
All I might say is get your arms up n do gates. I did GS gates last trip and it was great fun!!
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
@scooby_simon, wedge!

Yep; Now go back and read the notes we made a couple of years ago.....

Don't over think stuff; get the basics right and the rest will follow.
snow report
Will do. Thanks Simon Smile
ski holidays
I'm posting this clip because at the time it felt great but looking at this it looks orrid Shock huge elaborate body movements and park n ride style rolling eyes so back to basics

http://youtube.com/v/-_A7gml7WY4
snow conditions
ALQ wrote:
@franzClammer, I think the reason for fewer comments is that you've improved so much that more of us can't say anything useful - very well done. We'll leave you to the pros coz BASI levels are about precision and we hackers just wanna have fun Laughing
All I might say is get your arms up n do gates. I did GS gates last trip and it was great fun!!

We are all enjoying the EoSB snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I'm posting this clip because at the time it felt great but looking at this it looks orrid huge elaborate body movements and park n ride style so back to basics

think you are being a bit harsh! Movements don't look huge or elaborate to me. A little park and ride though. It looks to me that although you are carving long turns, a lot of your changes to turn shape are made by (controlled, smooth) rotation rather than by varying edge angle? Is that fair? I think the next step would be to get more upper/lower body separation and play with varying that to achieve different edge angles and turn radii. Just my thoughts and I'm not an instructor.
latest report
@speed098, ahhh mann don't remind me.
Was so tempted to drive down today. rolling eyes
But I've already surrendered the keys for my appartment Sad
Have to just go cold turkey in the fridge now & make do with Race Club
Hope it dumps for yas all
@jedster, Thank you. That's very encouraging. I think I probly watch myself tooo much n lose perspective on my ability/progress
Cheers. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franzClammer, You have missed some great days skiing........... But hey forget I said that wink

There is always next year after all snowHead
snow report
@franzClammer, Bel Air's a terrible slope to practise carving on - go somewhere flatter where you can concentrate on what your feet are doing instead of contorting your body to keep pressure on the outside ski.
snow report
@Raceplate, Agreed, local knowledge was a bit sketchy over in 1650. It was nice n quiet though.
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
@Raceplate, It was nice n quiet though.

Can't imagine why! rolling eyes
ski holidays
My contortions probly scared everyone awf Laughing
snow conditions

New Toy
Got a new toy. Just need a resort n some snow.
When do the VT or Tignes lifts close?
ski holidays
Pretty sure Tignes is still open over bank holiday weekend.....

However for decent analysis IMHO you need a hand held video and ski towards it, Gopro is great for the vibe, not good for feedback IMHO.

How many trainers that you have met use Gopro for analysis??
snow conditions
@kitenski, I agree 100%
It's a presi for my 50th
rolling eyes
snow report

Got this
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:

Got this

Does it have a projector?
ski holidays
@scooby_simon, Nah, it's an underwater jobby. It was used in some of my vids in Dec, I can never see digital displays on the hill, perhaps my new contact lenses may help in future.
ski holidays
Nah, it's nothing to do with lenses.

The sun is overpowering the backlight of the screen. Wot you need is a reflective with no backlight. These are virtually impossible to find these days. Either that or a camera with a trad viewfinder that you put your eye to - again, difficult to find - but probably easier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy