Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
@adithorp, As I mentioned I wouldn't use this particular version of this drill for recreational skiers, one reason is that she uses a double pole plant.. she is race training and trying to pattern the correct hand movements and timing when approaching a gate. Also she has more bend at the waist than I would want to see in a rec skier but again done for a reason to stay more aerodynamic in a GS course.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ahh, that's why the movement looked familiar but without gates my brain didn't make the connection.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
@meh, I think that one is different to what @ansta mentions but all theses single leg drills are very useful for edging skills, movements and lateral balance.

I don't like posting random drills but I like this clip as there is a very detailed description by the athlete as to her understanding of it and why it works for her. I wouldn't recommend this variation for recreational skiers but @ansta was it something like this ?

http://youtube.com/v/Bh7KF49GzOc
that's pretty close to it Scott, as it was a fairly gentle pitch they were holding the transition slightly longer i think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some random footage

http://youtube.com/v/lD3ArlOrzf0
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ansta1, probably similar then but where they making larger radius turns perhaps Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank for posting the BMA vids skimottaret good to watch as I have Warren's book the "Athletic Skier".

Didn't know they had done any but note from post date they where posted after Warren passed away last May.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you got a drone @franzClammer? I'm intrigued how you've managed to capture some of that PoV footage. Looks very slick! Hope you're having fun

A
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@abd, it was a helmet mounted camera boom supplied by Ansta1.

They look pretty cool ( though I would be worried about whacking someone on the head ) and full cred to Ansta for making one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems FC has abandoned us for the advanced group (or BASI made him an offer he couldn't refuse).
So here's something from those charming & talented CSIA crew Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/NbRRTg7Tthk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ugh. Horrible skiddy turns. Maybe useful to have in the toolbox but surely not an example of what we should be aiming for.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Maybe useful to have in the toolbox but surely not an example of what we should be aiming for.

it all depends. Nothing wrong with controlled skidding in the right place; in fact it's essential. I practiced those 180 sideslips (and "falling leaf" sideslips) when I did a week with a very experienced American instructor. And controlling line and turn shape with controlled skids, too.

Even for expert skiers (which I'm certainly not) controlled side slips are vital - even CandideThovex doesn't carve turns down steep couloirs. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Too right @pam w, @olderscot, how do you ski the bumps?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@olderscot, If you think that's Ugh!
Take a look at this idiot NehNeh

http://youtube.com/v/CT-vKA4b35E
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franzClammer, Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@franzClammer, Nice to see you back. There's a lot of nice things I'd say about that idiot's skiing. Ugh wouldn't come into it.

As for the other comments, what can I say. I already said it's useful for the toolbox so you can do it when you have to but try doing long, wide, controlled, skiddy turns like the video on a couloir or bumps and you're dead meat.

So I stick to my my earlier viewpoint, useful for drills, useful to be able to skid when you need to, useful to be able to lose the ski edge at times. Not a very helpful video to put up on it's own without any comments as to why people might find it useful, particularly when it starts with some ugly skidding turns that some viewers might think is an example of what we're trying to achieve.

Mike

PS. I'm surprised that was all the response I got to my deliberately provocative post. I expected more.
snow report
Hi Folks
Now the 14-15 season is wrapping up in the Alps & it's back into the fridge.
I thought I'd get back n see if I had any footage worth posting.
I managed to get 4 wks away in total, no serious injuries and felt some small improvements in my skiing, so a good season all in all.
Here's a bit of video from the last week of my 4th winter so far.

http://youtube.com/v/vwYwN4VCE_8
snow report
@franzClammer, Blimmin eck...I was just wondering where you were! Shocked
Must be roll-up o'clock Laughing

[Edit] Just saw the first few seconds: It seems you were giving evils to the ESF massiv...prepping for a shakedown Sarf Lundun-stylee perhaps ? Old habits eh...Aye Laughing
latest report
@ALQ, ESF massiv Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
...and felt some small improvements in my skiing...

Massive improvement I'd say.

Much smoother, more relaxed and more precise balance transfer.

Well done.
latest report
@franzClammer, welcome back! Looking very cool.... Cool It struck me (see at the beginning, 0.19) that your poles are very short. Or is that an optical illusion?

What's your next goal?
ski holidays
By Jove, I think he's got it!
snow report
@Mike Pow, Thank you Mike Smile
@pam w, Merci Becoup wink I'll try not to hurt you too much avec mon France'. Yeh I think the poles length is optical illusion.
Next goal logically would be BASI L2 but I need to work really hard on skiing in bad visibility (it turns me into a beginner) I think that an unconscious fear of injury has manifest that I previously lacked (some call it Common Sense I think Embarassed ) There's no way I'd want to lead a group on the hill in cloud, even if I had the badge, as I am rubbish & hold onto my old edge for dear life, ending up snow ploughing badly, perhaps a blindfold when Hemel slope is quiet.
snow conditions
coddlesangers wrote:
By Jove, I think he's got it!
Or at least beginning to snowHead
ski holidays
Here's some fun skiing with the droid in tow

http://youtube.com/v/zGa_TYiMF9c
latest report
@franzClammer, looking good, I envy all your ski time !

I liked the vanishing ski trick...pity the Droid missed the moment.

& good job observing uphill when rejoining the piste (in case I was there Smile )
snow report
lampbus wrote:
I liked the vanishing ski trick...pity the Droid missed the moment.

Yeh, shame that would've raised a larf Toofy Grin
I was trying out new contact lenses, Shocked back to the specs after that jolt, it was more corniced than I thought lol
snow conditions
@franzClammer, Well done. Impressive levels of dedication to the cause Smile Are you carrying on with the race training in the Summer ?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Are you carrying on with the race training in the Summer ?

Cheers Smile
Yes indeedy, now my bottom half seems to have got the gist of steering I might stand half a chance in the gates. (famous last words)
I worked a bit on my turn shapes but still lose form when I go too fast, as can be seen in this footage......

http://youtube.com/v/acCOOVACadg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Noone impressed by my Ted Ligety impressions rolling eyes Laughing
Never mind, lets try this......

AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@franzClammer, Any footage of some shorts on a steeper section ?

http://youtube.com/v/LxVtNaDOgRI
latest report
Nice to see some new footage. I have to say that even if it was just 4 weeks skiing this year I think you're coming on leaps and bounds.

I like the carving turns. Nice smooth turns with plenty of edging. When you start to reduce the radius I suspect you'll need to get some more angulation going on but I'd say there's nothing much wrong with what you're doing now.

I think the shortish turns are still looking as if you're pushing the back of the ski out rather than letting the ski do the turning. That might just be a case of needing more practice and trying to engage the skis earlier in the turn but I'm sure there others around who can do a better job than me of pointing you in the right direction.

Looking Good.
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:
Nice to see some new footage. I have to say that even if it was just 4 weeks skiing this year I think you're coming on leaps and bounds.

I like the carving turns. Nice smooth turns with plenty of edging. When you start to reduce the radius I suspect you'll need to get some more angulation going on but I'd say there's nothing much wrong with what you're doing now.

I think the shortish turns are still looking as if you're pushing the back of the ski out rather than letting the ski do the turning. That might just be a case of needing more practice and trying to engage the skis earlier in the turn but I'm sure there others around who can do a better job than me of pointing you in the right direction.

Looking Good.

olderscot Thanks very much for commenting, this thread seems to get hundreds of views but very few comments in comparison Puzzled
So your observations are very welcome .....
So' yeh the Shorts (and the rest).... I think I need to focus more on inclining the ski on it's "track/trajectory" earlier above the fall line rather than, as you've seen, pushing the skis to the side before the edges have engaged. I think this will require a little more angulation and dynamic response to the forces of the turn being squeezed into a smaller space/time.
I'm also constantly working to correct my overflexed knees/posture; inspired by SH's comments.
I'm planning on starting to work towards the BASI L2 entry level this year, so hopefully things will become a little clearer in my mind.
Can anyone give me an insight into the difference between the "Teaching" element of L1 & L2. e.g. how much further than the CT does it go. Do candidates have to analyse performance in the 5 Strands as well as CT ?
Cheers
snowHead
latest report
@franzClammer, from memory my and my fellow candidates did CT lessons but also lesson on areas of our weaknesses, ie some did variables, some did bumps, I did longs through the 2 weeks of the L2.
snow report
@kitenski, forgive my ignorance. Did you have to produce an improvement in your groups Long Turns using fundamentals throughout the 2 weeks. As well as the CT demos n theory ??
snow conditions
@franzClammer, I had to produce a lesson to "improve the group" for all lessons, on the assumption the group were L1 instructors working for their L2. So my first lesson was straight running, in order to show progression I had them skiing on one ski, doing hops etc etc which you wouldn't do with beginners. Other lessons delivered/I had were all about improving the L2 strands, ie carving drills for longs, tips for bumps and a bumps lesson.

Does that answer the question? Happy to answer anything I can, I also have lots of vids from my L2 and my resit Smile
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Does that answer the question? Happy to answer anything I can, I also have lots of vids from my L2 and my resit Smile

Yes thanks Greg cheers, it would help if I could see the standard required in longs n shorts etc.
What you describe seems a big step from L1, in terms of analysis and drills in your toolbox, from the stuff (CT) that I teach at Hemel.
The lesson plan for the Strands seems a big ask given the limited experience of L1: teaching relative beginners compared to L2 aspirants in the bumps
Was there much in the Manual that helped?
snow conditions
And for anyone enjoying this thread that aint BASI orientated, here's a bit of footage of a really nice run down into St Martin de Belville. It's testament to the ingenious work of the piste bashers, given the weather and the late season conditions. Amazing!
It's a bit long, but feel free to comment.

http://youtube.com/v/weAYODT6vdI
ski holidays
Looking at this I did notice a couple of other things I thought I should mention having picked up on them in the past. All good though. The first is a nice clean transition that's setting you up nicely for the coming turn and the second is that you've pretty much got rid of that shoulder turn in that was going on.

In fact I think you're becoming quite a tidy skier. It looks to me as if you have most of the basics pretty much tied down and from here on it's mostly practice and refinement.

I'd love to hear from some of the others here how far they think you've come towards reaching L2. I know you have time at Hemel but I suspect weeks on the slope are where the real progress is made. Do people think you're maybe within 4 weeks of Level 2 or are you pretty much already there?
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Yes thanks Greg cheers, it would help if I could see the standard required in longs n shorts etc.
What you describe seems a big step from L1, in terms of analysis and drills in your toolbox, from the stuff (CT) that I teach at Hemel.
The lesson plan for the Strands seems a big ask given the limited experience of L1: teaching relative beginners compared to L2 aspirants in the bumps
Was there much in the Manual that helped?

Lesson plans I used a combination of what the trainers had done with us already, the manual, snowheads and google!

I think 1st week lesson plans were all CT, 2nd week got a bit more advanced, but by then the trainer had already suggested some drills and folk were working on various thinks. I think everyone passed the teach element inc me who hadn't done any teaching after getting my shadowing hours in.

Cheers,

Greg

Videos below, also I did some edits of my improvement here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110465

Shorts at L2 level, second vid is in a narrower corridor compared to first (actually maybe a bit above L2 level from the feedback I got from the trainer)

http://youtube.com/v/YEH7G_Cvofo

http://youtube.com/v/lqDtxYsCISw

Longs at L2 level

http://youtube.com/v/HOIEE4kbQVw
ski holidays
@kitenski, thanks for posting those.
Very interesting
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:

I'd love to hear from some of the others here how far they think you've come towards reaching L2. I know you have time at Hemel but I suspect weeks on the slope are where the real progress is made. Do people think you're maybe within 4 weeks of Level 2 or are you pretty much already there?

The silence speaks volumes Laughing
Personally I think I'm ok on my piste performence (longs n shorts) to start pre L2 training. But I need another season to get up to scratch in the bumps and variable.
Options for next year are DIY route to L2, incl IOS input together with Marmalade or consider the MiniGap type course that New Gen are offering.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy