Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
I think I'll be giving Vallon a miss this year
YouTube clips can be very deceiving and confidence a double edged sword
I'll be following the sun (if it appears in Dec) around the Meribel
Valley to find the best conditions through the day and am only out for fun
I do appreciate the experience and words of wisdom offered. I think there's plenty of dark blues
in the 3Vs to keep me happy until I improve
Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/zwMH5VBE1wg&sns=em
This is me in blue struggling to control my speed etc at Hemel after 10 months off
So a few (quite a few) lessons in order before I venture onto any dark reds
Especially with my equally game 11yr old in tow (in green & red in video)
Humility being the better part of valour on this occasion
Ciao
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Junior is looking good!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, I think junior will make it down Vallon in front of you wink

Seriously I think you might have made a good decision - get another year under your belt and some lessons (which is what I'm going to do this year) and maybe it will be in your sights next time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, even after 10 months off you look in more control and flow better than your earlier Hemel vids, you have the confidence to improve rapidly if you wish, I think now is a good time to get a couple of lessons & develop some movement to your skiing - maybe do some with the IO guys at Hemel, I reckon your next holiday will benefit greatly by doing this, good luck & keep the vids coming, I/we might take the mickey at times- they are funny but they also show a record of you and your nippers development.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, bit too much of the old shoulder rotation methinks

What's that mix of Get Back? That's one for the ipod Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer, +1 for lessons with the InsideOut guys.
Sign junior up ASAP for some lessons before he gets into bad habits. He's only 11!! If he starts lessons now, then he'll be on the Freeride World Tour by 19 ... think of the prize money...think of with sponsorship money!!

And you won't regret it either coz believe me, it's tough to get out of bad habits.
I certainly wish I had lessons earlier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:

What's that mix of Get Back? That's one for the ipod Smile

It's a " mash-up " of Beatles Vs LCD Soundstatem
I snatched it off YouTube

Shoulder rotation: Noted, cheers
Ciao
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer, ta - got a download of a similar TUTS version.

Re the skiing, as a drill at Hemel try holding your poles in the shape of a arrow pointing str8 down the slope and KEEP them facing str8 down the slope as you turn left & right to ski down.

This I believe is called 'separation' and is frightfully important.

You may fall over and/or wipe out other people but I doubt that's a worry in your case. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27,

Quote:

I believe that is where one accidentally puts each ski on opposite sides of a tree and is so called becasuse you seperate your nuts and, depending on the variety, those of the tree. The manoeuvre you describe is I think called "Showing the beginner the fall line" and is more often done holding both poles together horizontally in front of you thus demonstrating the angle of the slope as well as which way is 'down'. Both are important to know for different reasons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer wrote:
I think I'll be giving Vallon a miss this year
YouTube clips can be very deceiving and confidence a double edged sword
I'll be following the sun (if it appears in Dec) around the Meribel
Valley to find the best conditions through the day and am only out for fun
I do appreciate the experience and words of wisdom offered. I think there's plenty of dark blues
in the 3Vs to keep me happy until I improve
Many thanks

Hi FranzClammer,
If you have second thoughts and need building up some confidence then you really should try these:
1:From Roc des 3 Marche (above Les Menuires), take the blue runs, Grand Lac then Pélozet and Biollay all the way down to St Martin de Belleville. Check it on a pistes map. They are looooooooong, wide and not too steep blues. Plenty of space and time to do your turns and other drills. Perfect to get back to your last season's level and mindset. You also get lots of sun on that side of the mountain and you get to see the lovely village of St Martin de Belleville.
2:From top of the Tania lift, take les Folyères blue piste down to la Tania. It's a real roller coaster. It will test your skills and it's fun. Most of my lower intermediate friends like the challenge there.
3:And I repeat what I mentioned before, the Creux in Courchevel is a real treat for any intermediate who'd like to try a red. I was quite worried at first because it's such a long red. But once I've started I enjoyed it so much I went straight back for a second run! And believe me, my self-confidence got a real boost after that! Madeye-Smiley
Almost forgot. The on the piste La Loy restaurant on the Biollay run down to St M, is excellent for a sunny day lunch break on its terrace. Very good value food and friendly service. I have yet to find anything that good for the price. snowHead
I do hope you enjoy skiing those runs. For they have helped me to feel a lot more confident. I only started to ski 3 years ago (at 37) and was very easily intimidated for anything steepish at the beginning. Definitely was not as daring as you seem to be on your videos. Embarassed
Anyway, good luck and more importantly enjoy your skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:

franz, I concur with the what Red said. Turn with your legs, not your upper body. The upper body should be relaxed, as though just going along for the ride. Any efforts to make the skis turn happens below the waist. Once you get the feel of it, you'll have vastly better control of your skis and your turn shape.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Franz, every time you take a chair lift take a look around at the slopes, pay attention to all the skiers below and twist your ankles and skis. You'll see people better than you, worse than you and everything in-between. You can learn something from each of them. I take a lot of lessons, because I need them, but that is aways a great free lesson
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
franzClammer, ta - got a download of a similar TUTS version.

Re the skiing, as a drill at Hemel try holding your poles in the shape of a arrow pointing str8 down the slope and KEEP them facing str8 down the slope as you turn left & right to ski down.

You may fall over and/or wipe out other people but I doubt that's a worry in your case. snowHead

Cheers for this advice, tried it hemel IO were fully booked on website. but the seperation thing felt good and I'll be working on that next week in the 3V's

Snowpie
Cheers for the extensive local knowlege. I will def be putting the runs you mentioned on the itinary (spelling) We arrive in Mottaret Sat morning snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Thanks again folks

http://youtube.com/v/TXWNNNFxO6k

http://youtube.com/v/TXWNNNFxO6k
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This time tomorrow will be lunching at La Loy restaurant Laughing snowHead Laughing
I better get another cold shower the anticipation of it!
Laughing

If anyone can suggest another drill or 2 i would benefit from please share
Many thanks
Ciao
snow report
Look at Warren Smiths videos on youtube. Some excellent drills covering a range of experience and ability. I would suggest loading them all on to something (phone/tablet) and viewing them a lot then trying out.
Very well explained.
Have a great trip. As others have said maybe rein it back a touch.
ski holidays
franzClammer, there was a thread recently about certain benefits that could be gained in technique by seeing if you can actually ski slower and form good shapes with your body and skis. It might be worth trying.
snow report
franzClammer, try this. Breath in as you're initiating your turn and breath out as you finish your turn - it will help you 'get up' for the turn and help your weighting on your outside ski as you're completing it.

Totally agree with Megamum about the benefits of skiing slower. Spend more time going across the slope - you can play with picking up the tail of your uphill ski to challenge your balance (leave the tip on the snow initally).

This drill incorporates both these ideas and will help you slow down and get ready for your turns:
- 1 - two skis on the snow traversing across the slope, mostly weighted on the downhill ski (on the ball of that foot - shin pressed to the front of your boot)
- 2 - breath in as you shift weight to the uphill ski ready to turn
- 3 - round the corner and breath out - weight should now be firmly on the downhill/outside ski (on the ball of that foot - shin pressed to the front of your boot)
- 4 - traverse across and pick up and thump down the new uphill ski a couple of times as you go across
Repeat as much as you like.

I also notice that your hands are quite close to each other in the centre of your body. Imagine your hands on the handlebars of a bike - stick them out into that position now and look how far apart they are (shoulder width, I hope) - now twist your wrists, thumbs to the top ... ta,da - pole position! snowHead

Have a great holiday.
snow report
flowa, re hands...he was doing a drill as recommended byred 27,

franzClammer, keep em coming, have a good trip!
ski holidays
gatecrasher, cheers - didn't realise.
ski holidays
nor did I Laughing
ski holidays
flowa, red 27, well I hope he was! Embarassed wink Laughing
snow conditions
No doubt the great man will upload a selection of clips on his return.

I should imagine that underwriters everywhere are updating their actuarial tables and adjusting premiums accordingly for those skiing in the 3V next week Toofy Grin
snow conditions
red 27, Phew!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that watches those clips with a certain amount of trepidation lest we ever get on the same bit of snow together and I know not an ounce about skiing technique. Our new friend does seem embued with a 'devil may dare' attitude to skiing. I sense that he will never suffer from a lack of confidence (something that I might well envy), but I hope it doesn't break him or others before he cracks the technique stuff.
snow conditions
Megamum, While it's clear the Franz is a danger to himself and others, this is only because of his infectious and admirable enthusiasm and sense of adventure and as such he is to be applauded.

And avoided Laughing

It's a bit like driving, where the key skill to master is identifying the loons and giving them a wide berth (no offence Franz)

I cut my ski teeth in the wild west days of the '80s when the icy slopes were like a roller disco crossed with the dodgems, all fuelled by alcohol on the hour every hour so this is all quite nostalgic for me Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
red 27, I dearly hope Franz keeps us snowHead posted on his future trips, namely so i can make sure my daughters will not be sharing the pistes with him.
Enthusiasm is to be encouraged. Love that expression that was used earlier and will be stealing it. MBTB.
ski holidays
Quote:

wild west days of the '80s when the icy slopes were like a roller disco crossed with the dodgems, all fuelled by alcohol on the hour every hour

Ahhhhhh my eyes came over all misty. I must be getting old Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FK,

Not too shabby for two weeks I reckon. And yes its mostly like riding a bike. You'll be fine just dont get too heroic on the first morning.

Combe de Vallon is a fabulous run and I think you'd manage it OK but I'd leave it for late in the trip. As others have said the top vertical 100ft is fairly steep, feels a bit exposed and tends to get cut up with poorly shaped "bail out" moguls. After that it is lovely and generally has some of the best snow in the 3V.

I'd second other recommendations that Creux above Courchevel 1850, Jerusalem above St Martin (nice place for lunch) would be ideal reds to start with. Also a couple above 1650 I think

J
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shouldn't FK be back now? I'm getting worried....
ski holidays
Franz the best advice I can give you is listen to nobody other than a qualified coach that your having a lesson with, you'll think what your doing is correct from the advice given and the chances are you'll be creating even more problems.
And get your son in a race club if he loves skiing, he'll learn so much and have loads if opportunities in skiing as he gets older
latest report
dobby wrote:
Shouldn't FK be back now? I'm getting worried....

Laughing
snow conditions
Hi All
Back from 3 Valleys
Thanks for all your comments.
Was far too busy & knackered to post whilst away
I'm just waiting for a bit of footage of the carnage in my wake (just kiddin, Safety 1st these days) to upload & will post a link
As always I just got up to my previous level and alas t'was time to board the coach

visibility was variable and I have realised how much it inhibits my skiing when in white out conditions
Did have a couple of smashing days as you will see on the vid
Snow was heavenly (once it was on the floor)...4 inches of Powdery stuff ontop of the cordurouy every morning....a new very different experience to groomed pistes for me !
Am now looking for more jewellery n family silver to pawn to fund some lessons & a trip in Feb lol Madeye-Smiley

Hope youre all having a festive evening
Ciao snowHead
ski holidays
Yay, he's back . . . and in one piece Toofy Grin
latest report
Huckacliff duckabranch wrote:
And get your son in a race club if he loves skiing, he'll learn so much and have loads if opportunities in skiing as he gets older

Thanks for the advice,

I didnt go near Combe Vallon this time. Was tempted at the end of the week but Visibility was orrible most days, and the top end of the valley is still terra incognito to me as yet. Spent the 1st two days babysitting novices until their lessons kicked in (never again) so was slow to get going.
Had a little go on a Red called Chamois below Saulire 1 and wished I hadn't...it was good fun and put me in my place.
I realised I really enjoy Blues and need a good few days to warm up to any steeps, n moguls are still a real challenge
Despite buying 3v pass on my last 3 trips I still haven't ventured out of Meribel Valley, rolling eyes this time quite a few lifts didn't run until 22nd Dec, although we did manage to get to the top of Saulire Express and Tougnette 2
So slowly pushing the boundaries but am looking forward to feeling comfortable on Reds and ticking off the pistes I am yet to enjoy.

Ciao
snow conditions
Awwww
I'm really touched Shock
Thanks guys
Laughing
ski holidays
MERRY YULETIDE TO ONE AND ALL
BEST WISHES TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE COMMENTED ON MY THREADS & VIDS

IT'S YOU GUYS WHO HAVE BROUGHT THE SAFETY OF MYSELF AND OTHERS INTO THE FOREFRONT OF MY SKIING
Youre like my own Jedi Counsel....lol snowHead Cool snowHead snowHead snowHead rolling eyes Laughing snowHead I THANK YOU ALL

Here's an alternative to the Queen's speech

http://youtube.com/v/CMkhB_4aw54

http://youtube.com/v/CMkhB_4aw54&feature=youtu.be

Theres no music and it's a bit long, cest le vi Razz

Please feel free to comment
latest report
A definite improvement there Franz Smile

And what fantastic snow - you're making me really jealous.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your upper body next. Keep those arms out in front of you and try to stop them waving around. Keep your torso tight and let your legs do the work.
snow report
Oh the crowds Mad how did you cope with those jammed up pistes wink

Very nice progression through the week and once you stopped looking at your ski tips did you feel the instant improvement to your posture, positioning over the skis and control ? You're still steering predominantly with your shoulders but on occasion you let the skis do their job and you're making some nice turns with obvious weight differences in the skis. Did you see how relaxed that young lady in black was and the boarders? That's the 'secret' relax and enjoy the experienc.

Good camera work, your nipper? See how smooth it was, you have to be relaxed and soft in your joints to achieve that, something to add to your skiing . . . liked the soundtrack toward the end too . . . snowHead
ski holidays
Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/zgFOIMaxxxo&feature=youtu.be

http://youtube.com/v/zgFOIMaxxxo
ski holidays
I don't know anything about this, but I'll say what immediately came to mind and see if anyone else concurs or otherwise (which will be interesting for me, as I think I see some of my faults in you to some extent). You seemed to do better when you stopped trying to make the skis turn and just went with the flow. It was almost as though you tried to initiate the turn from your shoulder/arms downwards with your skis turning last it's almost as though that needs reversing to a certain extent. I think it might help if you swung your arms around less than you do. You do seem to have slowed down and don't seem as out of control as you did which is good for everyone. It might pay to have some more lessons before trying to go too much steeper and I think you are confident enough to get a great deal out of them. I think you need to carry on having fun and squeeze everything you can out of an instructor!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy