Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow wrote:
Ta.

Extended less tiring then?

Yeah, being flexed is much more muscular effort, whilst extended you are supported by your skeleton more.

Here's a good article about stance, http://www.paullorenzclinics.com/#!the-truth-about-stance/c977
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Are you sure that's the right Droid?

This isn't the droid you're looking for.

Regardless, ESF droid does ski very fluidly. How is his French/shrugging/nonchalance coming along?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen less competent skiers (little git Very Happy )...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think FC might be training the droid up in the ancient jedi art of ESF infiltration wink
He will rise in the ranks infiltrating the very top of ESF and with supreme mind control convert them all to BASI Confused

FC just watch the driod on camera, not a camera driod rolling eyes he is playing around having fun go join him.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly off topic question - how comes Youtube allows all that copyrighted music ? I'm sure they took mine down last time I did it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@fullenglish, Laughing Laughing
Level 3 shrugging
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shortish turns dec 14:
http://youtube.com/v/OKRLzsSUaRY
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@franzClammer, Any footage of some shorts on a steeper section ?

This is as close as I got to working on my shorts
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/s1d0PGk1MZQ
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@franzClammer, I tried to grab two stills, one showing you sitting back too much and one just after you seem to actively try and stand taller which looks much better in my view and will be a stronger position and less tiring on your quads.

Also can you see in the vid where the variables catch you out as you have IMHO too much weight on that inside ski?

Can you see the difference??

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 9-01-15 15:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Too static and overly flexed. Make some movements wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well done @kitenski, this shows it really nicely, that second shot is much better. All you then need to do is get some flex at the hip wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Superb! Thank you guys for the feedback.
Getting Up out of that flexed position obviously requires the adjustment of the other two joints as well, I know it seems obvious, but I can see how it is connected to overflexed ankles from trying to compensate (causing heel soreness in zipfits rolling eyes ) and also at the waist causing me to break when I hit any resistance.
So yes Top of the agenda is get up n open the knees, no doubt I will feel free'er and more dynamic when I do & it will all become a bit more functional rather than contrived.
Thanks fellas you got me thinking, I'll have a look at drills n mantras to help, any suggestions? Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-01-15 15:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
added a third still, which is FC having a dump Smile

Seriously, keep these pics in your minds eye @franzClammer, or download them to your phone or something, and keep looking at them!!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 9-01-15 15:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

connected to overflexed ankle

Sorry mate I keep saying this but your knees are overflexed not your ankles... look at the stills and try to feel what your body is doing not what your brain is telling it to do....

Quote:

you got me thinking, I'll have a look at drills n mantras to help, any suggestions

you have had 100 pages of help and suggestions, pick one or two key things from this mess of well intended help and work on that, nothing more... and ps have fun
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@franzClammer, just remembered a certain snowhead doing some variables.

Look at how the joints flex but the upper body is calm...

https://vimeo.com/77849806

I'm sure the skier will explain but I'd guess this is red run or steeper with hidden moguls and the instruction was to "GS it"

This is me at L2 variable standard...

http://youtube.com/v/cZ10oyaO0zg
snow report
@kitenski, @rob@rar, @abd, @skimottaret,
Roger, Roger!
Thanks again
snow report
Could boots that are too upright and/or stiff be causing too little flex in the ankles and too much at the knees?
snow conditions
@DB, doubtful as I bet if FC skied with his boots unclipped he would still sit down, overflex at the knee, swish and twist the skis to turn occasionally rotating his upper body to initiate the turn... But I am in a harsh but fair mood today NehNeh
snow report
The best thing I can offer is try to ski down the mountain as if you are walking.

If at times you can do that at walking pace, then so much the better.
snow conditions
@skimottaret, You been drinking with Raceplate? wink
latest report
@franzClammer, go out and ski. Stand on your skis in such as way that it feels peculiar knowing that you should be less flexed at the knee and more flexed at the hip (think lightening bold or Harry Potter scar!). If it feels odd and uncomfortable, then you're probably doing something new and different.

Tbh, you don't need to do this on skis, you can start to engrain the muscle memory by standing in front of a mirror.
snow report
abd wrote:
@franzClammer,
Tbh, you don't need to do this on skis, you can start to engrain the muscle memory by standing in front of a mirror.

That's not easy when you're as ugly as me Laughing
No, But seriously. I am taking on board these comments n appreciate the free help Little Angel
ski holidays
@franzClammer, fair point, but look at your ankles, knees and hips not your face! wink
latest report
Bonsoir Snowheads snowHead
Having video footage of myself skiing is a double edged sword, sometimes I watch it & think "that's not so bad for 4th winter of skiing". Then at other times I watch it and see only the faults and the huge amount of work to be done & feel like an inept beginner.
But what I do recognise is just how fundamental the flaws are!
It's so easy to cheat and use speed and strength to disguise poor technique and bully your way down the hill.
At times I get delusions that I'm working toward my Level 2 and then I watch myself in slow mo and feel below the standard of L1 and of course feedback on here can be very errrm sobering rolling eyes

So I'm hoping to get away at the end of Jan for a solo trip back to the 3V's. No distractions, No companions, No droid. Just me and the mountains.
I intend to start my time (hopefully 2 weeks) by spending a couple of days warming up, skiing without thinking too much about drills and improvement.
Then I intend to work on my weaknesses - Overly flexed knees, Transition timing, Standing on my pivot points, Arm carriage. Including all the things Skimottaret, abd & you other guys mentioned.
Then I am gonna work on separating and blending pivoting and edging my skis. This will progress to focus on Longs & Shorts.
Hopefully the terrain and snow will afford practice on groomed pistes and variable/crud. And you never know if blessed with powder a few face plants might be on the agenda. The pro training courses that I wanted to attend don't tally with my window, so I'm planning to get some private instruction whilst out in resort probly with Marmalade.

Anyway, here's the remaining random footage of my Dec trip (Opening week) in 3V's with the Droid

http://youtube.com/v/tdWjNsOZH0s
ski holidays
Quote:
So I'm hoping to get away at the end of Jan for a solo trip back to the 3V's. No distractions, No companions, No droid. Just me and the mountains.

Peace, beauty, freedom and adventure...

Good call Smile
latest report
Quote:

No distractions, No companions, No droid. Just me and the mountains.

This might be wide of the mark, @franzClammer, but it strikes me that you have possibly done too many hours skiing alone, already. Or at least, alone in terms of not having immediate feedback, which you can then try to act on in the next hour or so.

Your strength and determination are admirable qualities but maybe make you a bit vulnerable to the "practice makes permanent" trap.
ski holidays
@pam w, D'Accorde Smile I was hoping to join IOS/Marmalade for the course running mid Jan. I'm gutted that I can't get down in time Sad , 5 full days training would be just what the Dr ordered.
But I am planning to get as much input from a Pro as I can afford.
Are you in Le Beaufortain, how's the weather?
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Peace, beauty, freedom and adventure...

Good call Smile

Yehhhhh Madeye-Smiley
Here's hoping for a little niege too
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
..But I am planning to get as much input from a Pro as I can afford...

Could do wonders for your skiing too Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Go back to the notes from (a long time ago) we made sitting by the Shuss bar at Hount Hemel.
snow report
@scooby_simon, I will indeed that's what I meant by how I'm starting to see how fundamental my flaws are, better late than never Very Happy you know what, I should have those notes tattooed on my palm. Lol. Talk about value for money. That lesson still hasn't ended. wink
Thanks Simon
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
@scooby_simon, I will indeed that's what I meant by how I'm starting to see how fundamental my flaws are, better late than never Very Happy you know what, I should have those notes tattooed on my palm. Lol. Talk about value for money. That lesson still hasn't ended. wink
Thanks Simon

You could always print them out, laminate and make em into idiot cards wink Shocked NehNeh

Added bonus they will be water and snow proof ( well till you decide to become a snowman again ) Laughing
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
I'm planning to get some private instruction whilst out in resort probly with Marmalade.

How about getting some instruction day one?? which should give you some targetted practise areas as prescribed from the Marmalade folk???
latest report
Or how about just chillin around the slopes and enjoy the sliding. Whilst wanting to progress is fantastic and the improvements keep on coming, just have a bit of fun.
ski holidays
@ansta1, FC - it seems you like the idea of being a level 2 ski instructor but your vids suggest you have no interest on taking on board the advice and making fundamental changes so why not just forget the instructing stuff and enjoy yourself. Absolutely nothing wrong in that.
ski holidays
@TTT, i don't think it's a case of not wanting to take the advice, moreover that his enthusiasm for sliding sometimes get in the way of focusing on the issues. If half the people had FC's general attitude it wouldn't be a bad thing. Also remember he's only been sliding for 4 seasons and a lot of people said he wouldn't get to level 1.

Keep it up FC
snow conditions
@TTT,

As ansta1, has said FC's enthusiasm is at times too much ( gets in the way ). He has made fantastic progress I have no doubt that he will attain BASI L2 at least. My only concern is that he needs to also remember why anyone puts these awkward plastic lumps round our feet then fastens them to some bloomin planks............. IT IS TO HAVE FUN ! to feel the wind and speed to harness gravity and feel g-forces and speeds that very few ever could without using a powered machine.

ansta1, has hit it on the nail have fun, no droid, no worries, no thought, just enjoy play mess around on the planks, because in the end an instructor needs to not just impart knowledge and enthusiasm to their pupils but also infuse them with fun. You are doing quite a few weeks this season having fun/relaxing is just as important as any coaching. It will help clear your mind ready for the next round of learning.

Remember the most succesful lesson is not the one that teaches the most orimproves the pupil the most, but the one that makes the pupil desperate to come back for more.
ski holidays
Definitely keep it up FC. You are making progress and your skiing is getting much better.

I don't think you're really that far from getting it. The only troubling thing from my perspective is that you keep talking about things in BASI speak that I don't think are really going to be that helpful.

I suspect most of the problems we all see (in the backseat, too static and shoulder turn in) are probably related to the transition. Not the transition timing, but more that it doesn't really exist. The transition is where you move your body from down and back on the inside of the old turn, up and forward of the skis ready to start the new turn. The trouble is that if you don't do this then you'll always be in the back seat, your skis won't turn and you end up rotating the upper body to try and make some sort of turn happen.

I'm sure any decent instructor will be able to help you get it right. It could be a good idea to show them your videos before the lessons. They're great for seeing what's happening and what you should be working on.
ski holidays
@speed098, @olderscot, +1
snow conditions
Well FC aside has it hit 100 pages yet, as that was the challenge put out byFC to me. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy