Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
TTT wrote:
@speed098, agree with all that although learning does lead to enjoyment. Any organisation way is only a framework and all organisations from various nations have emphasized to me good fundamentals rather than a particular learning method. I now know anything else is just marketing and don't waste any more time and money.

If you ever make it to Hokkaido I'll be happy to explain and show you the why behind my method.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike Pow, thanks. I will mostly do that if I'm ever your way. I personally try to make a point of going to different ski instructors from different ski schools and systems/nations as getting better is all about making changes so I think having different perspectives is helpful. I don't think you have a fundamentally different view of skiing either just a different process of getting there which is the same for most systems.

I don't think I ever learnt to snowplough so not wedded to it but maybe that is where I went wrong! Really not bothered about poles/plants up until a certain stage either but you have not convinced me that not helpful at some stage particularly off Piste (we don't have the fluffy Japanese stuff where I ski) and bumps. However I can see how they can also be an impediment to development and the poles invariably get left behind at some point so you can focus on other things. Just like to mix it up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that was an interesting read on methodology, cheers guys n gals.
Meanwhile back at the ranch, I'm sure there are a few peeps waiting with baited breath to see what the conditions were like in the 3Vs this past week.
So courtesy of Youtube here's my first instalment.

http://youtube.com/v/RlqgDPCSSAE
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even though I had prepared myself for the lack of snow in the Alps. My heart still sank when I drove into Meribel upon arrival on the 15th.
Val Thorens really saved the day on the 16th, and the lack of snow was not an issue up there.
The cloud came in in the afternoon and really challenged the technique (staying flexed in the knees/skiing defensively), but the snow was mostly soft n grippy so carving was possible in the morning.
Feeling real snow under the skis for the first time this season was intoxicating & we were jumping around like Bambi in the stuff.
Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franzClammer, Looks like you found some decent snow up there Smile

What's your itinerary this season? A few more trips booked sans doute - all in France or have you programmed the droid to set a course further East?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@red 27, Yeh, I didn't mind circuiting the same piste if we found decent snow. They opened up the Cretes ridge along to Choucas on Sunday morn, think we were second along it which was lovely.
Likely snatch another couple of weeks in Jan in the 3Vs hopefully. Droid is out to Les Menuires with the school 3rd Jan.
Are you getting out to 3Vs this season?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/_Hne6Ngvw4A
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wott...350 viewings since yesterday &..Noone gonna tell me how $h1t I am ?? Laughing
No comments.......hmmm....peculiar Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, your sh7777t and you know you are, your sh7777t and you know you are.
sung in a football supporter style Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timbobaggins, We are Millwall & we don't care Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@franzClammer, I love the deep snow double ski ejection followed by snowman impression. Keep em coming.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You asked for it.....

http://youtube.com/v/lc80c7MGeCo
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@franzClammer, Yes I'm out with the gang on Jan 16th. Loving the weather out there today!

You're skiing is unrecognisable these days - good stylee! I am not to fit to comment other than to applaud snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franzClammer, You're BASI now, so I can't say much in case they whisper in my ear and leave some poor instructor's appendage in my boots.
Double eject was priceless (needs a slo-mo) Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@franzClammer,

Double eject was priceless snowHead snowHead But almost looks like you are trying to dance afterwards Shocked

Skiing is definitely improving lets see you really start to attack the slope.

Just going to watch the third vid now wink
latest report
speed098 wrote:
..Skiing is definitely improving lets see you really start to attack the slope...

He was doing just that....and lost Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Double eject was awesome but confusing, what on earth happened there!?
snow conditions
@meh, he 'attacked' the slope Laughing
latest report
...with his face snowHead
snow report
ALQ wrote:
speed098 wrote:
..Skiing is definitely improving lets see you really start to attack the slope...

He was doing just that....and lost Toofy Grin

From Hero to Zero ! Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
meh wrote:

Should've gone to Specsavers Laughing The diagonal drainage ditches crossing the pistes hadn't quite filled in with snow in places snowHead
ski holidays
thanks Red, very complimentry

http://youtube.com/v/9PXSq8DTGho

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-12-14 15:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
meh wrote:

Should've gone to Specsavers Laughing The diagonal drainage ditches crossing the pistes hadn't quite filled in with snow in places snowHead

A bad skier blames their equipment. rolling eyes

What type of skier blames the piste Confused

Answers on a postcard to FC care of Specsavers Laughing
snow report
@speed098, Laughing
ski holidays
What's the side slipping all about? I assume your doing it as a drill?
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Wott...350 viewings since yesterday &..Noone gonna tell me how $h1t I am ?? Laughing
No comments.......hmmm....peculiar Puzzled

Conditions look much better than what we've been led to believe. Day 4 especially.

Posted this for fridge footage and it still applies

Quote:
Your 'go to move' to initiate a turn is a narrowing of your stance width by sliding your uphill ski closer to your downhill ski - primarily in the tail - and then pivotting and/or edging off that narrower platform.

I believe you should place more balance on a flatter downhill ski at turn initiation whilst trying to maintain a consistent stance width throughout the turn shape.

You're getting fitter, more confident and more dynamic each day, but to my eyes reinforcing bad habits that you'll find hard to get rid of unless adressed soon.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
What's the side slipping all about? I assume your doing it as a drill?

99% of this first week was a Drill. Side slipping & Braquage were often employed due to icey patches. I'm a bit confused by the question Confused
Working toward L2. Demo of side slipping etc wants to be bulletproof. No?
I also explored the difference between passively rotating the skis across the fall line using momentum and resistance Vs active rotation initiated and moderated using the core and relevant muscle groups.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 28-12-14 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike Pow, thanks Mike. I will indeed explore ways to fix the stance inconsistency. Just gotta get back out there. I was just getting warmed up by the end of the week. Madeye-Smiley I've previously used a balloon between my knees to train the stance width.
I'm thinking if I can be patient in the set up phase and establish a platform on the outside ski, then remain over my pivot points throughout the whole turn. Then blend in control of the inside ski once I'm balanced on my outside ski.
Would you recommend a different approach ?
In the absence of a snow plough foundation phase do your clients manifest a "stem" habit like mine?
Crikey it's a stubborn habit to eradicate Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't think I did any side slipping on my l2.lots of central theme, even more shorts, then longs, bumps, variables...

On the changing resistance etc they had me doing that whilst still trying to keep performance shorts to the standard...
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Don't think I did any side slipping on my l2.lots of central theme, even more shorts, then longs, bumps, variables...
Similar to me, although we completed the CT stuff quickly. Spent all our time on longs, shorts, steep variables, gentle variables, couple of sessions on bumps, and some straightforward freestyle. At no point were we required to demonstrate specific skills such as sideslipping, braquage, etc.
ski holidays
Yeh im not simply working to pass a L2 assessment (which I'm a long ways off of) im also skiing to build my personal skills & my all round teaching n skiing ability. I enjoy side slipping & braquage just for fun sometimes especially if icey snowHead
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Yeh im not simply working to pass a L2 assessment (which I'm a long ways off of) im also skiing to build my personal skills ...
Good for you.
snow report
Forgot the Gopro on day 5. But heres my first two warm up runs on morning of day 6
I seemed to spend most of the week trying to open my knee up & keep my hips up n forward.
A good play around and warm up properly in the morns certainly helped. I prefer to ski alone or just with my droid in the mornings and go at my own pace.
day 6:
http://youtube.com/v/yWMmxsHM8YY
latest report
@franzClammer, apart from having your vid blocked over here (music content) , you'll never get your hips forward with your head down and your shoulders rolled forward. You face planted exactly where your eyes spotted the landing point rolling eyes When conditions close in, so do you and you cannot react to a problem condition if you are focussed on it. You have to look beyound for the solution and let your body absorb the terrain change.
snow conditions
@franzClammer, Any footage of some shorts on a steeper section ?
snow conditions
@AndAnotherThing.., TBH I never got round to focusing on shorts this time.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
@Mike Pow, thanks Mike. I will indeed explore ways to fix the stance inconsistency. Just gotta get back out there. I was just getting warmed up by the end of the week. Madeye-Smiley I've previously used a balloon between my knees to train the stance width.
I'm thinking if I can be patient in the set up phase and establish a platform on the outside ski, then remain over my pivot points throughout the whole turn. Then blend in control of the inside ski once I'm balanced on my outside ski.
Would you recommend a different approach ?
In the absence of a snow plough foundation phase do your clients manifest a "stem" habit like mine?
Crikey it's a stubborn habit to eradicate Mad

As I've suggested before I think you have too much forward lean in your boot / pressuring the tongues too much and you're too bent at the knee at the start of the turn.

This limits your ability to pivot both feet on a flatter ski at the same time and results in the sliding in of your uphill ski and putting more balance on the inside of the turn.

Get more cuff neutral
Stand taller
Let the skis run a little longer in time in the fall line to give you more time to redistribute your balance to the downhill ski / find that balance quicker
SLOW DOWN for a few runs, get on a green run and balance with the slope
Stop trying to do the same turn every turn - the mountain doesn't play that game

Thankfully my never evers don't have to unlearn a movement.

I spend plenty of time trying to get my other students to unlearn it though.
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Thanks Mike, can clearly see the overly flexed knees that Skimotteret also previously pointed out, in this clip Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/TfY88XyRWEU
ski holidays
@franzClammer, looks like you've had too much "bend ze knees" instruction from ESF Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@dobby, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy