Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead

Mike Pow wrote:
Looks like you can get 13-17 deg forward flex range on these boots.

I'd recommend the 13 or 15 degree setting for a more upright stance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
as upright as possible as Mike Pow says... you overflex at the knee joint
Given that tendancy...
I've put the inserts in that set the rake angle of the cuff to the 13deg mark, in order to encourage me to to open the knee joint in order to remain balanced over my pivot points?
I already felt a little bit "back" in them compared to my old ones.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
franzClammer, have you considered (and if not could you) do a short progression video(s)? Something short (under 2mins) for say shorts & longs....

Hi Greg
Nice vids
I'd love to do that but my footage isn't catalogued, during the first couple of seasons (2011,2012) I didn't even know what shorts n longs were lol
I've started it as a project but gave up quite quickly. I'll get back to it at some point.
What have you been doing with your L2 qual ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
as upright as possible as Mike Pow says... you overflex at the knee joint
Given that tendancy...
I've put the inserts in that set the rake angle of the cuff to the 13deg mark, in order to encourage me to to open the knee joint in order to remain balanced over my pivot points?
I already felt a little bit "back" in them compared to my old ones.

It will certainly feel different from what you've been used to.

Stick with it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried my boots at both 16 degrees and 18 degrees forward lean and found that I preferred the latter option. It really does depend so much on individual physiology and skiing style. Play round and take advice from people who observe you skiing... just what you seem to be doing Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, the "feeling back" could be that the Ramp angle of these boots is different to your old ones and the combination of ramp and forward lean angle is putting your hips and head in a different place..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sadly not doing much with the l2. xscape minimum hours don't fit with a full time job and family...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Sounds like the job and family have got to go Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Sadly not doing much with the l2. xscape minimum hours don't fit with a full time job and family...

Have you thought about Halifax or Ski Rossendale ?

There is also Pendle ski club but they do not open till early October and you may still have to join.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a caveat I want to state that I think that my BASI L2 is at least a couple of seasons of hard skiing & many many hours of teaching away.
However I have a couple of Q's aimed primarily at L2's reading this or indeed anyone with the knowledge ........
1: How many hours teaching did you complete between L1 & L2 ?
2: Did you teach on snow & plastic ?
3: How many weeks skiing did you do between L1 & L2
4: What courses/training did you complete prior to L2
I'd be grateful if anyone can answer any or all of these questions
Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, I suspect you'll get quite a spread of answers as training needs are varied depending on experience prior to starting the BASI pathway. There were 10 weeks between me doing my L1 in Val d'Isere and L2 in Les Gets.
1. 0 hours teaching, only did shadowing hours, about 75 in total before I did the L2 course.
2. Did my shadowing hours at Hemel plastic slope, MK snow dome, Les Arcs & Courchevel.
3. I did 2 weeks on snow between L1 and L2, plus a few days at Hemel and MK. They were all shadowing hours.
4. Between L1 and L2 I didn't do any training, just shadowing. Prior to L1 I had done quite a lot of courses with Snoworks and private lessons with Warren Hogben (one of the NewGen founders) and John Thomas (who runs the Les Arcs bit of NewGen).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero hours teaching, all shadowing on snow.

Prior to failing my l2 I did little or no training. I then booked my resit at the end of the next season, so before it I did the following. I passed the l2 teach first time but failed the tech.

In the failing season a long weekend skiing easy slopes in San cassiano and helping a friend, a day at aviemore, yad moss and a family ski holiday.

Then in the previous season:

Monthly visits to xscape when the moguls were out
Weekend with inside out in tignes November
The inside out BASI tune up week in January, this was timed so that I had 2 months if any major flaws were still there!!!
The week before the resit I was out with the family skiing

I'd recommend the inside out BASI tune up week, you can get very specific feedback as to whether you are at the level required to start the l2 or not from a BASI trainer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, kitenski, thanks guys. That's very informative Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, I've not done it myself as not the reason I ski but seen a lot of people go thought the process in different ways and as Rob says it depends and the answer to all your questions vary greatly. If someone just wants to do the course then they just need their 70 hours ski school experience but if someone wants to pass it varies from straight after L1 to never ever depending on natural ability, circumstances, age, experience, when you started learning, physical condition, willingness to change, how you practice/train and no doubt other factors. I guess the refererence is a classic gap course where there is 6 weeks between L1 and L2 and people normally pass but tend to be young , learnt young and are doing their training all in one go whereas older people with less experience , who learnt later in life and ski/train on an ad hoc basis may require many seasons and training and still may never get there. I've seen a lot of obsessive, disillusioned and disappointed people so personally think it is best not to get hung up about L2 and best to enjoy sking and training and do the L2 course if and when a trainer says you are at the level because as far as I'm concerned skiing should be about enjoyment and I've seen a lot of people so focusd on their L2 that they lose sight of that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franzClammer wrote:
As a caveat I want to state that I think that my BASI L2 is at least a couple of seasons of hard skiing & many many hours of teaching away.
However I have a couple of Q's aimed primarily at L2's reading this or indeed anyone with the knowledge ........
1: How many hours teaching did you complete between L1 & L2 ?
2: Did you teach on snow & plastic ?
3: How many weeks skiing did you do between L1 & L2
4: What courses/training did you complete prior to L2
I'd be grateful if anyone can answer any or all of these questions
Thanks

1; approx one winter season; 1500 hrs
2; Both
3; None for myself. all teaching plus a pit of training at Hemel as part of the staff on-going instructor training programme
4; None apart from 3 above.

But prior to doing my L1 I had around 100 weeks on alpine snow over a few (lot) of years.

If you want to chat next time you are at Hemel; more than happy to talk it over with you.
latest report
So from the massive poll of 3 replies, everyone is different!! FWIW get feedback from some BASI trainers Colin. Nobody will every say "you will pass" but they will say things like "your at the right level to have a go" or "if you turned up on my L2 I'd be happy".....equally they should also tell you if you have major things to work on prior to the L2
snow report
kitenski wrote:
So from the massive poll of 3 replies, everyone is different!!

Agreed, very different replies, but 3 short replies from the "Real McCoy" is worth 1000hrs fantasizing.
As stated I'm in no rush to book the L2 just yet. Looking for another "Paper Round" first wink & I will enjoy building my teaching skills during this winter, and hopefully build my skills skiing with friends who are working in resort, one of whom is a BASI Trainer.

ScoobySimon "1500hrs" Impressive Cool..... No midweek sessions at Hemel this week: Maintenance Sad
ski holidays
A small part of my Hemel warm up routine.......Roll on winter, apologies, the footage is rather rubbish

http://youtube.com/v/rlPrdCsko0w
snow report
That looked much slower, more controlled, and more rounded with minimal unnecessary movements - lower and upper body.

Much better to watch. Some of the best skiing I've seen from you.

Did it feel better?

That is until you went to the inside edge of your uphill ski.

That 'exercise' has no place in your development IMHO.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
That looked much slower, more contrin myd, and more rounded with minimal unnecessary movements - lower and upper body.

Much better to watch Some of the best skiing I've seen from you.

Did it feel better?

That is until you went to the inside edge of your uphill ski.

That 'exercise' has no place in your development IMHO.

Hi Mike
Thanks for your ob's
Yes, going through a warm up routine and allowing some intrinsic feedback to occur definately sets me up for a better session.
Before putting skis on I do a bit of stretching, trying to wake the muscle groups I'm gonna be using. Always a good idea after a 2hr drive.
On my first ride up the button I feel for where I am in my boots and swap from foot to foot going straight. (most subsequent button rides are done with eyes closed, it feels much shorter).
I then spend a while traversing n finding my balance and edges before making braquage rotary turns through to edged/railed turns. (cant claim to be carving/piloting the skis yet). Then I open up my turn shapes and concentrate on establishing a solid balanced platform in my transition/1st phase of the turn, edging earlier in the turn.
On the advice of ScoobySimon Recently I've been more outcome focused, which I kinda interpret as ..... I've been thinking "if I add A+B I should get =C.
I'm now trying to think C=A+B
I hope that makes sense, in reality it translates to skiing in a more natural & holistic way, focusing on the desired outcome C and feeding in the necessary inputs A+B as and when in the ammounts needed. As opposed to trying to force a preconceived outcome.
ps. The inside ski drill was a leftover from an InsideOut clinic on edging, I thought I'd see if I could manage it. But agree it is possibly counter to my development at the mo, one in the toolbox for later.
ski holidays
Yeh, I thought my last entry put you all to sleep, bit navel gazing aye rolling eyes
Anyway I tried the new Atomic Hawx with the cuff angle set to 13deg Shocked Quite a challenge to get forward!.
I think it did encourage less overflexing of me knees. I think it looked better, felt orrid at first. But it'll take a while to retrain my posture.
My Zipfits are molding nicely. May need a top up of filler soon though, Im almost cranking the boot buckles up to the last catch already. Although I ski with them loose too to get centred in the boots. Anyway enough techy equip waffle, I hear snoring again Smile
A short vid is uploading to Youtube of se soir. Don't hold your breath rolling eyes
snow report
franzClammer, there's so many inter connected variables when messing around with boot set up (forward lean/internal ramp angle/lateral alignment/delta etc) that the chances of getting it right by tinkering yourself is pretty slim. Book yourself a boot balancing/alignment analysis session with CEM & Andi McCann (who's a BASI Trainer) to first get your boot set up correct & then adjust your binding delta angle on your skis to Andi's 'prescription' (I can help you with that) & you'll be good to go.
snow report
franzClammer, cranking brand new boots to the last buckle sounds too tight imho
snow report
kitenski, This is why I think the Zipfits may need more cork, apparently its normal Confused
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/zZVsKcUSrmE
snow conditions
franzClammer, my zip fits have never had more cork added, but I guess everyone's feet are different !!!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
franzClammer, my zip fits have never had more cork added, but I guess everyone's feet are different !!!

Could be that the ratchet just means moving across to the next set of holes.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Could be that the ratchet just means moving across to the next set of holes.

Possiblement, will look at this. I'm getting a degree of heel lift even when done up tight but am blaming poor technique.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hi Mike

Thanks for your ob's

Yes, going through a warm up routine and allowing some intrinsic feedback to occur definately sets me up for a better session.

Before putting skis on I do a bit of stretching, trying to wake the muscle groups I'm gonna be using. Always a good idea after a 2hr drive.

On my first ride up the button I feel for where I am in my boots and swap from foot to foot going straight. (most subsequent button rides are done with eyes closed, it feels much shorter).

I then spend a while traversing n finding my balance and edges before making braquage rotary turns through to edged/railed turns. (cant claim to be carving/piloting the skis yet). Then I open up my turn shapes and concentrate on establishing a solid balanced platform in my transition/1st phase of the turn, edging earlier in the turn.

On the advice of ScoobySimon Recently I've been more outcome focused, which I kinda interpret as ..... I've been thinking "if I add A+B I should get =C.

I'm now trying to think C=A+B

I hope that makes sense, in reality it translates to skiing in a more natural & holistic way, focusing on the desired outcome C and feeding in the necessary inputs A+B as and when in the ammounts needed. As opposed to trying to force a preconceived outcome.

ps. The inside ski drill was a leftover from an InsideOut clinic on edging, I thought I'd see if I could manage it. But agree it is possibly counter to my development at the mo, one in the toolbox for later.

Errr.......you wouldn't be overthinking this a tad would you Puzzled Little Angel

NB: Great new boots, maybe now you need some new sallies that will pull down over the tops? wink Toofy Grin

FWIW I still think at times the first part of your turn is rushed. I think I may have mentioned it previously, but I do wonder if it stems from this predelictation that you have for going backwards (which needs that quick transition). Have you considered canning the going backwards and the spins for a few months to see if you feet forget about turning that quickly. (NB. I actually wish I could do both things, but I can't). You do them so easily I wonder if your muscle memory for the movement is what makes you try to start the turn quickly? Just some musings from your mate Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 7-09-14 18:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, Ciao Bella
There's probly a lot of truth in what you say but asking me to not pirouette is like not licking your lips whilst eating a jam doughnut lol NehNeh
A much bigger factor in the rushed turn is not really being balanced on the outside ski before starting the turn. It forces the me to turn sharply in order to generate a force to resist in order to balance against. The good ole mantra from Rob tap-stand-turn is the simple cure I reckon. But let's not overthink it lol.
It seems to take an eternity to really get my COM truly balanced from one ski to the other, I also feel my body contort as I do. Not good. I really should do some muscular-skeletal training but CBA rolling eyes
I dislike reading the efforts that folk training for BASI L3 do. It makes feel old to contemplate it lol
snow report
Some footage from last season, it's not all cafe's & panda eyes Cool

http://youtube.com/v/219JHG744r4
snow report
Is anyone entered in the Hemel Race Club Championship this Saturday?
Im in Bib 121 rolling eyes
snow conditions
franzClammer, Good luck Toofy Grin
latest report
sarah, Merci Becoup. Just hope I don't break anything. I got Hemel Staff induction on Monday Madeye-Smiley
latest report
franzClammer,

Way too far for me to travel but good luck snowHead I hope your bib number is not your start number or it my be more like skiing down the Avalanche at Blackpool pleasure beach. Shocked

I will have to console myself with being at CFe on Friday and will watch the Mogul practice while pretending to ski wink

I did manage five and a half hours skiing though on Wednesday without collapsing so hopefully a sign fitness is improving Very Happy

sarah,

Are you doing any instruction at CFe now you have finished your shadowing ?
snow report
speed098 wrote:
franzClammer, I hope your bib number is not your start number or it my be more like skiing down the Avalanche at Blackpool pleasure beach. Shocked
Cheers mate Smile
I'm afraid I think it might well be, the men go last after all the kids, teens then women, then us!! But at least I'm only going 2nd in the Men's Group. Also If I'm correct the order is reversed for the 2nd run of 2 in each race - Slalom & GS.
I was hoping ScoobySimon would be along to clarify
I better service me skis tomorrow...... Wondering what colour Lycra to go for Madeye-Smiley
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
speed098 wrote:
franzClammer, I hope your bib number is not your start number or it my be more like skiing down the Avalanche at Blackpool pleasure beach. Shocked
Cheers mate Smile
I'm afraid I think it might well be, the men go last after all the kids, teens then women, then us!! But at least I'm only going 2nd in the Men's Group. Also If I'm correct the order is reversed for the 2nd run of 2 in each race - Slalom & GS.
I was hoping ScoobySimon would be along to clarify
I better service me skis tomorrow...... Wondering what colour Lycra to go for Madeye-Smiley
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Will not be there I am afraid; sliding around on plastic with a school down the road.

I assume you will get a couple of runs and they will set similar to the races.

Ladies and girls down one side; Gents and boys down the other and the stubbies course down the middle.

What time on Monday are you in? I Have a fairly busy day!
latest report

The racing line
That'll do
latest report
scooby_simon, Cheers
Monday I am in around lunch time if ya need a shadow.
snow report
franzClammer, Maybe around 4.30? School session with some of my academy kids. We'll be skiing fast Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy