Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
It was Sahara dust, brought up on the wind - affected a wide swathe of territory, it seems, a while ago but it's not snowed since, so it's hanging around. Much in evidence around the Espace Diamant today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lampbus, will do
My relatives live in the Canaries. They oft get a Saharan wind called "Calima". After which lots of folk come down with ear, nose n throat infections. Apparently due to the freeze dried bacteria re animating
Hope I'm not breathing that crap. It'll make me fags taste funny Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franzClammer,

Ask to be a member of Snoworks all Mountain Skiers Group on FB for some great Backcountry pictures!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyrew, Interesting to read the Epic thread. I ski on Head skis and have a fair amount of time on magnums, Titans, FIS SL and Womens FIS GS and I set all of em up 15mm forward. The titans and magnums are very turny skis and this does make a big difference to me.. I do have big feet and long legs so perhaps it is that but worth playing around with for aft and binding delta angle... FC is still a ways off from being able to drive those skis but will I am sure do so in time...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
andyrew, Interesting to read the Epic thread. I ski on Head skis and have a fair amount of time on magnums, Titans, FIS SL and Womens FIS GS and I set all of em up 15mm forward. The titans and magnums are very turny skis and this does make a big difference to me.. I do have big feet and long legs so perhaps it is that but worth playing around with for aft and binding delta angle... FC is still a ways off from being able to drive those skis but will I am sure do so in time...

I'm just back from a week on my Titans, what wonderful wonderful skis. I love the feeling of absolute security they give while being so responsive. During the week I was able to ski them in a LOT of soft snow, quite a bit of sloppy moguls but also a lot of hard pack and hard moguls, and on the final day some 20cm of new snow ( a total of 304kms according to ski tracks) and they handle the lot really well. They give such a feeling of confidence and reliability.

So, what is it about FCs skiing that makes them so unsuitable? A friend who has skied 9 weeks (during the past 3 seasons) took them for several runs in various conditions and reported the same experience as me, in fact he's said if I die, can he have them (I now check the drinks on his round carefully). So if such a relatively inexperienced skier likes them so much, why not FC? My friend normally skis Salomon Enduro lx800 (slightly longer on 175) which I have to say I also thoroughly enjoyed using although not quite such a "robust" ski.

I don't think I'm best equipped to try changing delta angle, but the Titans have Tyrolia SP120s which easily allow you to adjust the bindings to plus and minus 2.5cm from neutral (by using the adjustment for different boot sizes) and we explored the full range of movement which was an interesting experiment I will report more fully in a separate post.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andyrew, Thank you for your comments. I only tried the Magnums at Hemel in quite loose sugary snow. They felt quite stiff and slow to respond. Not ideal conditions to try out race/ hard pack oriented skis.
My technique is quite weak and inconsistent, so I thought they demand more from the skier than my floppy B2s that I'd been riding.
I've been on Rev80s whilst here the past 10 days. I have the Magnums on my roof rack so will give em a go tomorrow afternoon and let ya know how I get on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer wrote:
andyrew, Thank you for your comments. I only tried the Magnums at Hemel in quite loose sugary snow. They felt quite stiff and slow to respond. Not ideal conditions to try out race/ hard pack oriented skis.
My technique is quite weak and inconsistent, so I thought they demand more from the skier than my floppy B2s that I'd been riding.
I've been on Rev80s whilst here the past 10 days. I have the Magnums on my roof rack so will give em a go tomorrow afternoon and let ya know how I get on.

I don't really know how much difference you should expect to find between the magnum and titan, but I can assure you that my Titan LOVES loose sugary snow, and now so do I. Mostly last week I skied a lot of soft spring snow and they work very well in it. Early morning they also worked very well on hard pack. And I was amazed when we had 20cm of chopped up (and sometimes untouched) new snow to find how much fun it was to dance through it.

On a groomed piste if you set the ski on edge it just wants to turn, if you sink down on that edge you turn so quickly you're round so quick its a shock! You had to be careful in a straight run or on a drag, set it anything but flat and it's off on its travels! But it wasnt just me (60+ weeks in EU and many days here) who loved them, a friend with only 9 weeks did too.

I'm just wondering one thing - I know you had to set up the bindings yourself, you didn't just move the toe piece? I found quite a difference messing around with the bindings, putting them 2.5cm forward from neutral they were astonishingly quick on a turn, but going 2.5 cm back the turn was much slower and ponderous unless you worked them. Having said that I did a couple of runs like that and they were usable in sugar, hard pack and bumps, just odd! When set up normally, measuring from the tip to where the front of the boot would be is 80cm. This is on 170 skis, and i'm currently set .75cm forward from what the binding indicates as neutral. Interestingly, this is exactly the same distance as on my mates Salomon Enduro lx800 (they're nominally 175 but are actually only 4cm longer). Just a thought.

IMHO the Titans don't demand much from you, except to commit to their edge and then they do all the work!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

IMHO

H?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my honest opinion
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Humble?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica,
I always thought it was "honest" but looks like you're right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Humble. In awe of my lovely lovely skis
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

But it wasnt just me (60+ weeks in EU and many days here) who loved them, a friend with only 9 weeks did too.

honest, but hardly humble. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd really like to have a bash on the Titans.

From all of the reviews they sound right up my rue.

How would they compare to the Sally XT 800 Enduros?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 25-03-14 13:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyrew, I suspect (as a Titan skier myself) that they might not be as forgiving for less aggressive/skilled skiers? They do give some pop if you load them up in short turns...but suspect for an average intermediate they may be too much ski?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But it wasnt just me (60+ weeks in EU and many days here) who loved them, a friend with only 9 weeks did too.

honest, but hardly humble. wink

Sorry but I'm not quite sure in what way me being an old git who has skied for a long time makes me un-humble? It's just a fact, I said I'd skied 60+ weeks and my mate 9 weeks to give the contrast that experience didn't seem to make so much difference.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
andyrew, I suspect (as a Titan skier myself) that they might not be as forgiving for less aggressive/skilled skiers? They do give some pop if you load them up in short turns...but suspect for an average intermediate they may be too much ski?

I guess that makes my 9 week mate a more then average intermediate? (something I'd already suspected wink ) But I'm not sure I'd describe them as unforgiving, if you set the edge they do what they were designed for and very easily. But we did have this discussion and decided that a stiff boot and ski will accurately transfer the movements the skier makes. For some people, I guess some of those movements should not be transferred!!
latest report
Quote:

For some people, I guess some of those movements should not be transferred!!

This ^^^^ made me smile as a concept! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
franzClammer, How did you get on with the Snoworks course ? & could you give some details please of what the instruction was like & what you learned ?
snow conditions
snowxxx, are you going on a Snoworks course?
ski holidays
franzClammer,

You have been very conspicuous by your absence lately, are you ok Puzzled
snow report
stewart woodward, hi ya
Yeh we've had a couple of dramas since arriving.
But all ok.
Thanks for asking.
PM'ed you
snow conditions
franzClammer, have gone on the Snoworks All Terrain course about 4 years ago , enjoyed it , it was different, from what I remember, to other lessons have had with ski instructors , more techniques & tactics on how to survive anywhere on the mountain , but my memory is a bit hazy , so wondered what you thought about the course & how it compared to other instruction you had.
latest report
snowxxx, I think a lot depends on what instructor/group you are skiing with. We had 3 groups of which I was in the med group. For some wierd reason Snoworks decided to rotate the instructors throughout the week which IMHO & others didn't work well.
The skiing was Epic. Went places I would never know existed & skied mostly at my limit.
I received a little more tech tips than others due my declared BASI aspirations. But generally it was more of an adventure than technical teaching.
All in all it was a good course. I'd recommend it for adventurous upper intermidiots
ski holidays
Fell in love with the Head Magnums, on piste they performed admirably.
I have some footage that I'llwill upload eventually.
snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers for all your advice this week dude. Learned loads. Look forward to viewing some movies 😄 you have all the footage 😭
snow report
Quote:

adventurous upper intermidiots

Do we need a thread title upgrade? wink
latest report
First instalment of my fortnight away.
This is during the 2nd week spent in and around Tignes/Val D
Enjoy/slag it off......whatever Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/MYXwXWQINMM
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much improved. Well done.

Great control, and much better rounding of the turns.

Still not quite finishing the turn off though and unweighting the skis enough for the next turn. That's when you rush a little and that causes the sliding in of the new uphill ski to make the pivot point.

Your feet are moving really well, but your body is very static and crouched. Try to stay taller for longer at the start of the turn and only bend if you need to. It seems that you're doing the same thing regardless of your turn shape, speed, the terrain or the snow.

Huge changes in a very short time span. But it's because you've done the hard yards.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Still not quite finishing the turn off though and unweighting the skis enough for the next turn......
I can do this

Mike Pow wrote:
....... Try to stay taller for longer at the start of the turn and only bend if you need to.
I can do this
Many thanks for the obs & advice

snowHead
snow conditions
Episode two............
Tried the Head Magnums. very happy with them Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/DtLVD0ApPWU
ski holidays
DB wrote:
At the rate he is improving, it won't be long before Franz can use the head skis

Cool
snow report
Much, much stronger! A few points for you to think about:

You are rushing the beginning of lots of your turns, pushing your skis sideways. As a result they grip very late in the turn (after the fall line). Make the setup phase of the turn much smoother, so you stand on the ski more effectively. You need to feel a solid connection between the ski and the snow as early as you can in the turn. In terms of your observation skills, can you see what I mean when you look at your video? Focus on hat the skis are doing, and when in the turn they are doing it.

Try to work on developing a little bit of separation in your short and medium radius turns. A good opportunity to do this is when you are doing your CT practice. Slow speed demands high precision. Use that time well. Once of twice (on terrain which is a bit steep for ploughs) you drive the turn by swinging your outside shoulder first. Be aware of what is the first thing that moves when you start a plough turn - skis or shoulders?

In your CT practise you are gazing lovingly at your skis. I know Head skis are wonderful, the very best on the market*, but they won't work better if you stare at them. Look up man, look up wink

* A quick advert for Inside Out Skiing's provider of skis wink
snow report
franzClammer, I've watched some of the above and I recognise something in how you ski a lot of the time. When I am lazy and let the skis take me for a ride they skitter all round the slope. I push the heels and sit in the backseat a bit. It gets me down, but it isn't pretty. When I decide to put effort in work the skis I can get the tips to engage with the snow, the turn shape improves, it feels incredibly productive in terms of the feedback I get from the skis and I wouldn't mind betting that it actually looks relatively OK to an observer. FWIW I also find that stiffer the ski the more effort I need to make. I think you could ski the same way, but when you are zooming down the mountain as quick as you wish I think you forget to ski productively and start skiing in a lazy fashion. I think if you put in the effort all the time it could look good all the time. Just as I do, I think you often ski lazily.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-04-14 21:39; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Thank you for the advice, it's invaluable to me. I did detect the shoulders getting in on the act rolling eyes I kinda thought you'd spot the heel-push turn initiation wink
I'll be reviewing the footage, observing as advised. Double espresso on me @ HH Cheers Very Happy

Megamum
Indeed I do get lazy, especially toward the end of a fortnights skiing NehNeh
snow report
franzClammer, looks and sounds as if you had a great time snowHead Did you have any further instruction during the second week? And did you get any feedback from the instructors out there with regard to your BASI aspirations?
snow report
sarah, No, the 2nd week was more about getting mileage.
The feedback from the Instructors & BASI Trainer re my piste performance for L1 & Instructing potential was very positive.
latest report
franzClammer, welcome to the heelpushersRus club Smile
snow report
kitenski wrote:
franzClammer, welcome to the heelpushersRus club Smile
Absolutely. I can see it too - it takes one to know one! wink
snow conditions
franzClammer, sounds great so have you booked it yet? Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy